• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon FireRed: Rocket Edition (Completed)

Zavytar

Lonely Planet Boy
Years
  • Nice game, I was really into the missions and personally, I'll play it low-key.
    I've found some issues regarding general gameplay though:

Spoiler:

There must be some more that slipped my mind, though. Anyway, I look forward to finishing this beta and playing follow-ups! Great work!

Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2016
    Hi! So I just made an account and wanted to let you know how awesome your game was :) I just finished playing it all the way through, however I was wondering if you plan on providing more information about the morality system and the benefits of taking/not taking pokemon? I was wondering if there are long term (e.g. end game differences for the characters)? Or, if it will pretty much just be the few item differences, poke balls, exp share, quick claw depending on if you're stealing or not -- nothing that is really that big of a deal for the game as is.

I wanted to do my play through incredibly rocket-esque, but after I created my core "rocket team": zubat, rattata, ekans, meowth and two rotational pokemon (I'm hoping to add koffing later on, and still deciding between lickiting, victribell, or growlithe for the final spot), and the story progresses I felt I was stealing just to steal (which is capital "T" Team Rocket stuff), and I had a box and change of pokemon I wasn't going to be using/wondered why I was bothering stealing so many repeat mons anyway. I started feeling bad for the poor pixels (even before Lavender Town). Maybe I'm just not cut out for the grunt lifestyle ;-; lol. So if there will be a "good-ish" route, and a total renegade route I guess it would just be nice to know, and why I should or shouldn't have my character stealing pokemon.

I also noticed the spongebob, queen, atlas shrugged references (and I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting).

Overall very awesome! Thanks for making it :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2019
    ​Loving the game so far, thank you so much for the hard work you've put in because it really shows! Got a couple bugs/requests:
    • Game froze upon scrolling to the Cell Phone in the Key Items pocket
    • Game froze when I tried to enter the Fan Club in Vermillion City
    • On the second page of intro text, it should be 'not everyone was' rather than 'were'
    • The first time you are allowed into the boss' office, the grunt on the left says 'It's now every day...' when he should say 'It's not every day...'
    • Please could you make TMs infinite use? I was so used to this feature now that I wasted Thief without even checking haha
    • Also, would you be able to make it so that poison cannot cause fainting outside of battle? Of course, if this is deliberate that's fine.

Years
  • I was able to play Beta 2 by using my Old save file from Beta 1. And it's still the same, I mean it's as great as it was in the last Beta.
    I never realised about Blue's Rattata. I really never thought of it. The story is really awesome.
    The only thing I think can be made is:
    - Reusable TMs
    Also the Dialogue's imo is too large in a few parts. But that doesn't bothers me. It's still great.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2020
    I had no prob with using my old save
    It was really fun to play just fuji was "easier" than i though (probably because i have a poliwrath tho)
    And i wonder how long i need to stay "clean" for the police goodies.

The only things I miss are reusable tm's and the "impossible" evo's could change to normal evo ( i would like to use the Gastly)
    Thanks alot for the update

colonelsalt

Guaranteed to raise the smile
    Years
  • Terribly sorry about the lack of replies, guys! Have just had a big move to London for university, and have been sparse on time.

It's been a long time since i've done this... bear with me please!

I figured tonight i'd start this Rom Hack because A) It intrigued me, and B) I love hacks that have some correlation with being the bad guy, it was why I even joined PC in 2009 to begin with.

Onto my opinion of the game; It was a stellar play through; I won't lie, I used a bit of Fast-Forwarding to get through some training as the leveling curve was a little rough at some points, but I feel around the third mission that some of the stolen Pokemon make up for the lack of decent EXP around the 1st and 2nd Missions.

Let me explain some issues I felt could be improved /slightly/

I will put this in a spoiler as to not spoil the story for anyone who hasn't actually played through the game yet.

Spoiler:

So, after reading the spoiler, which I recommend people don't read unless they absolutely desire to, I would like to suggest blocking off this part of the game until after finishing the 4th mission, seeing as it was completely optional for this Beta; It would make more sense at least to me that it be an optional event for after the 4th mission.

Okay; I think I can honestly say, I'll honestly be playing this more and more as you update it, although I know how it works here, updates don't come fast, but they sure are enjoyable when they do.

ColonelSalt; please don't give up on this. I was devastated when Ckret2 never came back with Toxic Purple, and I was very sad when my favorite hack artist (Cutlerine) left the Pokecommunity Scene.

You've got a loyal fan in me, this rom hack is definitely one of the few hacks I can honestly say I am excited to see complete.
    Awesome, awesome, awesome. Balancing levels for sidequests is a toughie; I had intended for that battle to be challenging if you'd just come from Vermilion, but very manageable if you'd beaten all the Trainers around Rock Tunnel and the surrounding Lavender routes. Might do with an adjustment, I don't know. Thanks for the support!
    And what a splendid time, indeed!

Great job, colonelsalt. I've played through beta v2, and it was sure fun managing the team at such a harsh start. The "Unbeatable Red Fight" seemed like a challenge, so I ended up selling some stuff (like PP Up), using my newfound resources to get a Great Ball, catching and grinding a Growlie and a Vaporeon and so on, all to teach that Ashy-boy a lesson! It was sure worth it, even if it wasn't part of the storyline.

And, man, even after that one big grind, Mr. Fuji was sure powerful! Somehow the stolen Marowak ended up two levels lower, though (I think?).

I really liked the darker world you presented, even though I don't agree with some fanfction-y parts of it (Gary's Ratticate). Regarding the morality system, which quests does it influence? I've seen Mr. Psychic reporting me to the cops and raising bounty, but what about the Fishing Guru quest, or the two pimps? I helped the younger pimp, and the bald one swore revenge, will there be continuation? Is morality only based on my relation to the cops? Because, eh, not sure how moral it is to give those guys bribes!

Now, one decision I don't quite understand is turning Team Rocket into some sort of Kanto nationalists. Considering that they hold strong operations in Sevii and Johto themselves, and the stated goal of "taking over the world", I'd thought them pretty much globalist. Heck, if I were to give them a sympathetic side/goal that necessitates what they do (like Blue said), I'd give them more of a World Order goal, where they eliminate separate nations entirely and spread themselves.

Of course, it's your game and your decisions, but I wonder why did you decide to make Rockets specifically the Kanto patriots.

As for the bugs, the only one I've found is that the first bug catcher in Mount Moon will sometimes freeze the game during the encounter. So, uh, save up, folks!

Keep up the good work, and good luck.

Thank you!
    You know, maybe "morality system" is not the appropriate word-- really, the game has branching events that differ based on whom you help and how compliant you are with the police (whether you are being "good" or "bad" is up to you to judge).

Team Rocket being nationalists is partly to bring a darker tone to the story, but also makes sense and is significant for later plot developments. You shall see. ;)

Nice game, I was really into the missions and personally, I'll play it low-key.
    I've found some issues regarding general gameplay though:

Spoiler:

There must be some more that slipped my mind, though. Anyway, I look forward to finishing this beta and playing follow-ups! Great work!

Ah... so the introductory freezing is an issue with MyBoy. My bad-- I ideally should have tested the game on different devices before release. Will see if I can find a fix.

And thanks so much! The bug reports are superbly appreciated, as they help out everybody who plays the game-- keep them coming!

Hi! So I just made an account and wanted to let you know how awesome your game was :) I just finished playing it all the way through, however I was wondering if you plan on providing more information about the morality system and the benefits of taking/not taking pokemon? I was wondering if there are long term (e.g. end game differences for the characters)? Or, if it will pretty much just be the few item differences, poke balls, exp share, quick claw depending on if you're stealing or not -- nothing that is really that big of a deal for the game as is.

I wanted to do my play through incredibly rocket-esque, but after I created my core "rocket team": zubat, rattata, ekans, meowth and two rotational pokemon (I'm hoping to add koffing later on, and still deciding between lickiting, victribell, or growlithe for the final spot), and the story progresses I felt I was stealing just to steal (which is capital "T" Team Rocket stuff), and I had a box and change of pokemon I wasn't going to be using/wondered why I was bothering stealing so many repeat mons anyway. I started feeling bad for the poor pixels (even before Lavender Town). Maybe I'm just not cut out for the grunt lifestyle ;-; lol. So if there will be a "good-ish" route, and a total renegade route I guess it would just be nice to know, and why I should or shouldn't have my character stealing pokemon.

I also noticed the spongebob, queen, atlas shrugged references (and I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting).

Overall very awesome! Thanks for making it :)

Thank you so much!

Haha there were definitely references to Queen and Atlas Shrugged, but Spongebob? Did I accidentally reference some pop-culture thing that I don't know about? lol

Very good question. There will be a "good-ish route" if you choose to play that way, but it will only influence reward items and sidequests-- the main story will remain the same regardless of your choices.

​Loving the game so far, thank you so much for the hard work you've put in because it really shows! Got a couple bugs/requests:
    • Game froze upon scrolling to the Cell Phone in the Key Items pocket
    • Game froze when I tried to enter the Fan Club in Vermillion City
    • On the second page of intro text, it should be 'not everyone was' rather than 'were'
    • The first time you are allowed into the boss' office, the grunt on the left says 'It's now every day...' when he should say 'It's not every day...'
    • Please could you make TMs infinite use? I was so used to this feature now that I wasted Thief without even checking haha
    • Also, would you be able to make it so that poison cannot cause fainting outside of battle? Of course, if this is deliberate that's fine.

Thanks so much for the support!

As always, the bug reports are greatly appreciated. Are you using MyBoy or VBA, by the way? Could help me pin-point the sources of the errors.

TMs being finite is deliberate because it provides incentive for not stealing Pokémon continuously-- if you can only teach moves once, you'll be more likely to use it on Pokémon that you're sticking to and are training over longer periods (as opposed to stolen Pokémon that you pick up and discard).

Fainting from poison is just something it never occurred to me to change. Is it a big bother?
    I was able to play Beta 2 by using my Old save file from Beta 1. And it's still the same, I mean it's as great as it was in the last Beta.
    I never realised about Blue's Rattata. I really never thought of it. The story is really awesome.
    The only thing I think can be made is:
    - Reusable TMs
    Also the Dialogue's imo is too large in a few parts. But that doesn't bothers me. It's still great.
    Thank you!

I absolutely agree. Balancing my urge to write out long and eloquent dialogue sections with keeping a reasonable pace is a continuous struggle in development. I feel a struck a nice balance most places (Lance's TV broadcast was maybe a bit long, I'll admit).
    I had no prob with using my old save
    It was really fun to play just fuji was "easier" than i though (probably because i have a poliwrath tho)
    And i wonder how long i need to stay "clean" for the police goodies.

The only things I miss are reusable tm's and the "impossible" evo's could change to normal evo ( i would like to use the Gastly)
    Thanks alot for the update

Many thanks to you too!
    I rationalized having finite TMs in my reply above. I will include new ways of evolving trade-evolved Pokémon for the next release. Promise.

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2019
    As always, the bug reports are greatly appreciated. Are you using MyBoy or VBA, by the way? Could help me pin-point the sources of the errors.

TMs being finite is deliberate because it provides incentive for not stealing Pokémon continuously-- if you can only teach moves once, you'll be more likely to use it on Pokémon that you're sticking to and are training over longer periods (as opposed to stolen Pokémon that you pick up and discard).

Fainting from poison is just something it never occurred to me to change. Is it a big bother?
    I'm actually running the game via the GBA virtual console on my hacked 3DS cause I like to play on hardware haha. I've been playing through Mystery Man's Kanto Black in this way too and haven't encountered any freezing problems yet.

Fair enough re: TMs. Will just have to be careful with them like the old days!

Erm, well I have been quite poor for most of the game so far so haven't been purchasing Antidote. While my Pokémon don't get poisoned that regularly I think if you restrict the money we get from battles (which is fair enough, I like the additional challenge it adds) it would be good to remove this too

Best of luck with university :)

craiglycakes

¿pokemon veteran?
    Years
  • I stumbled upon this rom hack and I just had to let you know. That I have never enjoyed a rom hack more than this one in my life. I enjoyed every second of it. The story, the features such as stealing and taking a more evil or good route is awesome. I'm so glad I found this and I'll be sure to tell my friends about it, I can't wait until this great game is finished. I'll be waiting!
    :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2017
    Hey man, really awesome with a new update, thrilled to see what you cooked up for us this time ;) About the "freeze" error, I also get it, but It works if I use a different emulator, (im a tablet player so I went from myBOY to "playGBAGBC" and it seemed to do the trick, but Now I cant fastforward-grind anymore </3)

Keep up the good work dude, I hope we get another update soon!

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Hi there, I started and completed the beta last night. It was a lot of fun. It has some good change ups that make it do well as a rocket fan game, such as the bribing officers or returning pokemon.I really liked the way everything played out in it to.

The story is really nice! I can't wait to see where it goes in future. The backstory for Gary in Lavendar is pretty cool to, and I liked that fan lore was used as the base of it, especially when the story revolves around the concept of the pokemon war in Kanto.

It's put the whole story of FR/LG in a fun new perspective. Looking forward to future releases!

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2019
    This hack is awesome
    It's my dream to play as rocket

The problem is all pokemon even the one you you catch is not obey the orders

Back