• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Pokémon General Daily Chit-Chat. Join in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
  • If you still want to support Pokemon, but would rather not walk around with a plain shirt with a Pikachu plastered on the front, there are plenty of subtle designs out there for you. I mean, just looking at the first few pages of results on Redbubble, there are plenty of shirts that you'd never know were Pokemon related unless you were a big fan of the franchise.

Personally, one of my favorite Pokemon shirts that I own is my Hawlucha one, which could probably pass for a generic design unless you know the Kalos Pokemon.

There's plenty of good shirts on RedBubble. I've found several shirts on there I've considered buying. I think I may buy one soon. All I've got is a Pikachu one a friend got me for Christmas last year.

Years
  • I don't see the point in hiding it. Pokemon is gaining in popularity with the 20's crowd that used to poke fun at us when we where younger, I've noticed

Wow that is very interesting.

And I thought that people in real life usually mock me for liking Pokemon in my 20's. But wow the fanbase surely knows how to evolve lately, but more mature Pokemon forums like PC are still hard to come by. I kinda like mature Pokemon fanbases, because you get to learn their side of the opinions as opposed to what the kids think.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    For some people, it could be sort of tough to deal when others poke fun at you for liking something, but it's best to try not to let those things actually bother us, and keep following we're a fan of.

There are plenty of people that around age of 30 who keep up with series such as My Little Pony, which was initially aimed towards kids (female kids, for most part). Though, from how things look, it doesn't seem as if they get bothered of others being judgmental or anything of the like, and keep spreading love for it. Same could be said about Pokémon, I suppose, if we're dedicated enough!

pkmin3033

I think part of the reason Pokemon is gaining popularity amongst people in their 20s again is because they can remember the days when it was popular the first time around, and most of them, whether they would care to admit it or not, bought into the hype in the days of Red and Blue.

Pokemon didn't have quite as much exposure during the third and fourth generations (at least, it didn't around here) so I imagine to most of these people, who "grew out" of it, it probably looked like a waning franchise, as it wasn't being covered every second of every day by the media, and nor was there a massive Pokemon section in every toy or video game shop. Since Nintendo have stepped up their advertising campaigns and done things like in-store game events though, it's gained more exposure again, so these people are all "Oh, I remember that!" and are coming back to it for old time's sake. Completely ignoring the fact that they picked on those of us who never grew out of it and didn't need mass media hype to realize it was still going strong as a franchise.

On a side note, the anime is a lot easier to watch now as well, which might have had something to do with it. I missed 90% of the Advanced seasons until I got them on DVD, because they didn't air them on a channel I could watch. From Diamond and Pearl onwards Pokemon has been on CITV constantly over here; they air episodes of XY every weekend, and Black and White is on throughout the week.

tl;dr there is more Pokemon about now without having to know where to look. xD

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I don't think it's majorly huge in Sweden nowadays actually. Or maybe I just never watch kids channels or step into kids stores much :p They do sell the games in game shops of course, but they don't seem to be hyped as much as other franchises.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    It still isn't as popular as back in the old days but it does seem to be showing itself a bit more than it used to. I've seen more Pokemon stuff around than I have the past few generations. Either that or it's because I'm actually looking around a bit more but regardless.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Well yeah, the nostalgia factor might also play in actually. Suddenly it's okay to be happy about ORAS because it reminds you of playing R/S/E in your childhood :3

... Like Zeria basically said.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Be afraid , Be Very Very Afraid-

poke02.jpg

Full image--

Spoiler:

Pokemon World is a scary place indeed !!!

Dandelien

Tobacco is my favorite vegetable!
    Years
  • Is this my own thread? How do I make a thread? Very confuse ._. Ahh, sod it.

Does anyone want to talk Gengars - Gengi?
    If he isn't my favorite Pokemon then he is definitely in my top 5.
    Share your move sets! Lately I have been pondering a Kruegar (Freddy Kruegar Gengar)

Hypnosis
    Hex
    Nightmare
    -
    I don't play competitively and thought this might be a fun way to switch it up!
    The plan is to have two Gengars, Gengi... Genguys ;)

Can Gengar learn Reflect/Light Screen through TM? I couldn't find this info anywhere.

How do ya'll feel about Clefable? What would it's move set be? I quite like the little space guy

Alakazam is my favorite he's just cool man even with the **** defense and the impossibility of catching an Abra before it SODS OFF (can I say sod here?) What nature is best for an Alakazam: Modest (sp.attack up, attack down) or Bold (defence up, attack down) And again share your move sets!
    I've usually gone with

Psychic
    Future Sight
    Calm Mind
    Recover

(or)

Hypnosis
    Dream Eater
    Calm Mind
    Psychic

Maybe... maybe...

Years
  • -snipped quote-
    Hey Dandelien, welcome to the Pokecommunity! This isn't actually your own thread, but you're free to stop by here any time you'd like to talk about any aspect of Pokemon- the games, anime, manga, etc. And it's good to hear you're a fan of Gengar, since it was actually voted as the winner of last year's Favorite Pokemon Tournament, so you definitely aren't alone.

I'm not actually all that knowledgable about good Pokemon movesets, but if you're looking for some help, your best bet would be posting in our Battling & Team Building's Simple Question & Answer thread, or our In-Game Team Help board if you don't plan on battling online. Anyway, hope to see you around!

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I think a lot of people my age didn't play Pokémon for a time because it wasn't "cool" and when you're a teenager, that's all that matters to you. Now you're an adult and worry less about what others think of you, so Pokémon is cool to you again. Just a theory.

Years
  • That's pretty much it in a nutshell. A friend I still hang out with hated pokemon and used to make fun of me until the HG SS remakes came out and have them an honest try. Without much effort or worry of being 'lame' Pokémon is their favorite handheld game

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    What is the Difference Between Evolution & Mutation ???
    After all , Diancle is mutated from Carbink yet we can't say Diancle is Carbink's evolution.
    It make my head hurt.

pkmin3033

Mutation is something random mentioned in Pokedex entries, evolution is when a Pokemon actually evolves into something? xD

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Mutation is something random mentioned in Pokedex entries, evolution is when a Pokemon actually evolves into something? xD

Well , We all know that a Carbink become a Diancle.
    Diancle originally is a Carbink .
    Yet we can't even call it ''Evolution'' just because of Pokedex referring it as Mutation.
    Even Mega Evolution is called Sudden Transformation.
    So , Why can't we can't refer Diancle as Carbink's evolution despite it having every characteristic of Evolution.

pkmin3033

Well, there's also the fact that Carbink doesn't evolve into Diancie in the games by any method. Mega Evolution also requires a catalyst, and it isn't a permanent change either.

Diancie is also a Legendary Pokemon; a one-off, so it can't really be considered an evolution of Carbink because not every Carbink will become one. A mutation is an isolated change in a single organism; evolution is a change in population. Generally speaking; I'm not very knowledgeable on the scientific specifics, but I think that's a rough description of the difference between the two terms.

Years
  • I think the big difference between mutation and evolution as far as Pokemon is concerned is that a mutation (such as a Carbink turning into Diancie) is something that isn't supposed to happen but did, whereas evolution for many Pokemon is just the norm.

And if you believe in the theory that the legendary beasts of Johto were reincarnated Eeveelutions, those would be more along the lines of mutations than evolution, because they aren't supposed to turn into those legendary Pokemon, but a special circumstance caused it to happen.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back