• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Pokémon General Daily Chit-Chat. Join in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Sure looks a lot like Carbink. Maybe their relation is like Phione / Manaphy?

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • I could see Diancie being similar to Vespiquen. Diancie could be a queen and she rules over all her Carbink drones :P What's throwing me off is that their Pokédex numbers aren't that close to each other like Manaphione, which is why I don't think they are related as far as family goes. Could be more of an ecological relationship.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Is it at the bottom of the Pokédex, though? If it is, then that's perfectly normal--they seem to do this stuff with almost all legendaries. :p Not sure why, but I'm guessing it's only to just signify their importance?

Years
  • If I recall, Keldeo is seperate from the other Swords of Justice, and the Tao trio and Forces of Nature are in a strange order, so it may not be out of the question to see them seperated in the Pokedex (though, we've never really seen a hypothetical relationship like this either).

One thing I didn't realize this until just now though, is that Carbink's Japanese name is Melecie, while Diancie retains its name across multiple languages. So not only does it have the similar typings and appearance, but they share similar names as well.

Wobbu

Years
  • Does anyone know what the three Pokémon are based from? I think Diancie is derived from diamonds and something else but what about the other two? Hoopa's name makes me think of rings and Volcanion's name makes me think of volcanos. Volcanion doesn't really look like a volcano with that giant handle on its back though.

Calamity

Just for the love of the game.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2020
    I haven't played the games yet, but I must say Diancie's pink crystal like thing is very similar to the realllllly big pink crystal thing in X/Y that's related to Mega Evolutions, correct me if I'm mistaken though!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I suppose Volcanion might be mixture of the words volcanic and canyon. Have to agree with you, though—the way it looks, it's got nothing related to volcanoes. xD" As for the other two, I'm not too sure about them.

Silver Soul of Johto

Journey's end
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2016
    I look forward to seeing them, and all, but I don't like how they'll debut in the movie, as I haven't been a fan of them for some time

Shhmew

Years
  • Hoopa is probably just hoopa because it's got hoops. :o

I'm sure the "Volcan-" in Volcanion's name is because of Volcanoes, since it's fire/water. Though yeah it doesn't look very volcano-y... I don't know where the -ion came from, could have just been to make it sound cool. ;3

As for Diancie, yeah I think I remember its pokedex entry to be leaked saying something like...
    Spoiler:

I don't know what the -cie means though.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Don't know why, but every time I look at Diancie, I always get reminded of belly-dancers. XD Told this to some of my friends, and they also seem to look at it the same way. I'm guessing its body structure was based after them?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    That's nice in that case, Nymphadora :3 I wanted Lilligant to be more bellydancer-y, but it didn't really turn out like that.

Shhmew

Years
  • Lilligant is gorgeous though >w< I absolutely love its design. Especially shiny. It does learn petal dance though, :D

Diancie just seems more like a fairy to me (which is fitting I guess since it's part fairy). With a cute little dress.

Wobbu

Years
  • Well the name does sound like dancing :P
    With Diancie getting its own movie, I wonder if the other two will get their own movie? Or maybe the partiality trend will continue and Diancie will be the only one -_-
    Hmm...
    Which of the three new Pokémon is your favorite?
    I want to know which one is the most popular. If it wasn't for Volcanion looking like a mash-up of Liepard, Heatran, Gigalith, and a ring, it would be my favorite because of its type combo. Diancie is probably my favorite because Carbink is cool and it reminds me of Carbink lol

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    It's definitely gotta be Diancie in terms of looks, with Volcanion being second. As for Hoopa, well... I'm just not really fond of its design, to be honest. Looks sort of freaky. Can't really tell which I like when it comes to battling, as I haven't used either of them. :P

Shhmew

Years
  • Diancie is definitely my favorite. The other two are awkward to me, Diancie is very beautiful, adorable, and graceful looking :3 Also fairy is one of my favorite types, and rock is one of my least favorite types, so it's nice to see another awesome fairy type, and a super adorable rock type :D

I like Carbink as well, though of course we don't know if they're related. The similarities are cool though.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I actually like Volcanion and Hoopa better. I guess Volcanion is a mix of volcano and canyon, Hoopa's gotta be an uncreative name based off the fact that it wears "hoops". It's down there with Roselia, Tangela, Cacnea... Hm, I seem to generally dislike pokémon names ending with "a".

Volcarona is a good name though, since it's volcano + corona, I think? A justified ending with a!

Still, Hoopa is more my kind of cute. It reminds me of Banette, another pokémon whose design I love. It'll be interesting to hear more about the lore surrounding these new pokémon. And why they chose to put them in a region inspired by France... You would have thought the "three musketeer" legendaries, Cobalion etc, fit better here than in a region based off New York.

Wobbu

Years
  • Diancie is definitely my favorite. The other two are awkward to me, Diancie is very beautiful, adorable, and graceful looking :3
    It's definitely gotta be Diancie in terms of looks, with Volcanion being second. As for Hoopa, well... I'm just not really fond of its design, to be honest. Looks sort of freaky.
    I actually like Volcanion and Hoopa better. I guess Volcanion is a mix of volcano and canyon, Hoopa's gotta be an uncreative name based off the fact that it wears "hoops".

Still, Hoopa is more my kind of cute. It reminds me of Banette, another pokémon whose design I love.
    Hoopa definitely gives me that Shuppet/Banette (especially Banette's mega evo) vibe. Hoopa's name is the most fun to say of the three but its name or design should've been tweaked. I'm guessing those hoops are going to be significant? As for Volcanion, does it even resemble a volcano? Or is its name derived from a similar word? I keep associated the -ion at the end of its name with actual ions but I accidentally typo'd ions into lions just now, so maybe it's a mix of volcano and lion :P

It'll be interesting to hear more about the lore surrounding these new pokémon. And why they chose to put them in a region inspired by France... You would have thought the "three musketeer" legendaries, Cobalion etc, fit better here than in a region based off New York.

But legendary trios/event never have any association with the real life counterpart of their native region (and if they do I'd say it's more of a coincidence). So far Diancie's lore isn't sounding very impressive. It was the result of a Carbink that "suddenly transformed." How that transformation gave Diancie the ability to play a major role in the upcoming movie is beyond my imagination. I wonder what new power(s) were obtained from the transformation.

Blake Belladonna

*insert fancy usertitle here*
    Years
  • Which of the three new Pokémon is your favorite?

Well Hoopa and Diancie are tied. Diance for design, Hoopa for typing. Like what has been mentioned, Hoopa reminds me of Banette (with its voodoo/Hindu designs). Diancie exudes elegance.

For some reason, Nintendo removed the posting where it said Diancie was a sudden transformation of a Carbink. I wonder why...

Also, they're probably event pokemon, not trios, so the lore doesn't really matter.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back