• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Pokémon General Daily Chit-Chat. Join in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years

I've always felt there's a noticeable deficiency of ice types in Pokemon. In general, the element of Ice is one of my favorites in video games, and had there been more Pokemon, I might have used them more often on my teams. Not that the ones currently available aren't great, like Weavile and Glaceon, but I just wish there were more. :[

Years
    We're definitely lacking in Ice types compared to most of the other ones. Off hand, I believe there are more Dark and Steel Pokemon than Ice type Pokemon despite being introduced later, and even the number of Fairy types almost match how many Ice types we have, even though they were just introduced. Hopefully we'll see more of them down the road though, as Ice is easily in my top 3 favorite types right now.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Ice-y areas aren't very common in Pokémon world, so I could sort of understand why they're lacking in ice-types. Now that we have seasons in-game, though, this would be their perfect time to introduce more, I feel; whenever it changes to winter, they could roll these Pokémon out in the wild and have us capture them.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    What I don't like about Ice types is the fact that they're technically the most offensive type of all... but the type itself consists of all defensive Pokemon.

Like seriously? They didn't even get a chance! Almost if not every Ice type is super defensive/special defensive and lacking in the offensive field.
    It's really not cool. (Pun intended tho) And any Ice type that is offensive just can't hold it's own on the competitive field.

Gamefreak's pretty bad at this whole 'typing' thing I realize.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I never noticed ice types being really defensive if anything I find them so fragile most of the time, but that could just be because they have common weaknesses. I do get annoyed at the lack of ice types and also at the fact that they're always placed towards the end of the game. Every time a new Pokemon game comes out there's always some ice city/town or area that's like three more areas away from the game finishing where all the ice types live. For once I'd like to see them earlier.

Years
    That may be because Fighting is a common type, and demolishes Ice types, haha. Having them at the end of the game may be attributed to helping the player defeat Dragon gym leaders/elite four personnel, because usually they show up at the end of the game, and unless you've caught a dragon yourself, it would be pretty difficult to defeat them without an Ice-type. At least, until Fairies were introduced.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'd really like it if they'd gotten rid of specific ice locations all together, because, well, in reality, there are no place like this at all. Wouldn't mind if they had based an entire region off them, however, to resemble Antarctica and whatnot. For everything else, they should utilize their season feature and make all towns, cities, routes, etc. cold and snowy during wintertime.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I think the only place they could potentially pull off all ice areas would be in mountainous regions (which they have) and in regions like Snowpoint City in Sinnoh. I think the ice areas in Sinnoh were very well placed unlike in Kalos which didn't make any sense whatsoever.

Years
    I'd really like it if they'd gotten rid of specific ice locations all together, because, well, in reality, there are no place like this at all.
    In reality we don't cram dragons into tiny capsules
    on the off chance we may need them to fight other captive monsters
    which various people are carrying around similarly. {XD}

Wouldn't mind if they had based an entire region off them, however, to resemble Antarctica and whatnot.
    Personally I would love to see that.
    ~~~
    On a side note, there should be an ice castle in a pokemon game.
    Pokémon General Daily Chit-Chat. Join in.

Last edited:
    Years
    Oh man, that's an awesome idea. It's not like they would have to limit it to only Ice-types, either. I could see there being all types of different areas, like an abandoned, ominous town that froze over with a Ghost gym leader, or a tribe far to the South that resides near a gigantic camp fire they've kept going for years, and the gym there is Fire-type. Things like that to flesh out the region o:

Years
    I have to agree that D/P/Pt did their snowy areas right, like with Snowpoint City and the northern routes connecting it to Mt. Coronet. I still think that Sinnoh was one of the best desinged regions overall, even if I wasn't particularly fond of the games themselves. It didn't really feel linear like Unova (and to a lesser extent Kalos), which I enjoyed.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Ever played Shadows of Almia, anyone? That had a beautiful Ice castle. Hopefully something of that sort we'd see soon in a Pokémon game!

I liked the snow in DPPt, and I was kind of sad that Ice-types always have a very small part in the games and rarely do they actually have a lot of them. I'd be happier if we could get to the snow earlier, though.

Years
    Oh man, that's an awesome idea. It's not like they would have to limit it to only Ice-types, either. I could see there being all types of different areas, like an abandoned, ominous town that froze over with a Ghost gym leader, or a tribe far to the South that resides near a gigantic camp fire they've kept going for years, and the gym there is Fire-type. Things like that to flesh out the region o:
    Winter is coming!
    . . . Couldn't help it.
    That all sounds pretty top notch, Pepperton.

Ever played Shadows of Almia, anyone? That had a beautiful Ice castle. Hopefully something of that sort we'd see soon in a Pokémon game!
    Not yet, there's a couple reasons to that.
    Although, I would like to see which ice castle you speak of.

. . . Google only brought up this.

Pokémon General Daily Chit-Chat. Join in.

While it may have ice on the inside, it doesn't scream 'ice castle' on first glance.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Oh, that would actually be pretty cool. I wonder what use they would have for it, though? Perhaps they could use it for as some secret hideout of sorts? They might be able to use it as a gym as well, but I'm not sure if it'd worth to let the castle go under such waste; in my opinion, it could play some significant role within the story.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    They do have large towers/buildings as dungeons in the games. Perhaps it could even be linked to the legendary Pokémon of a future generation. I'd also like to see some better Ice habitats in the new gens to come. Minimal addition of Pokémon, but much better climate and habitat, to suit the icy theme.

And yeah, I think that's what I meant, although if you look at it that way it isn't all that impressive, but keep in mind this was released before Gen V.

They do have large towers/buildings as dungeons in the games. Perhaps it could even be linked to the legendary Pokémon of a future generation. I'd also like to see some better Ice habitats in the new gens to come. Minimal addition of Pokémon, but much better climate and habitat, to suit the icy theme.

And yeah, I think that's what I meant, although if you look at it that way it isn't all that impressive, but keep in mind this was released before Gen V.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    It'd be nice if they could throw in more desert-y areas alongside; they're lacking those, too. Wouldn't mind if they had based a whole region off them, either.

Years
    Orre has a huge desert region, albeit you only traveled through it to get to certain places. I'm personally not a huge fan of deserts because of the sand, but regardless, it would be nice to see more desert areas in the main games. Same deal with snowy regions like the route between Mt. Coronet and Snowpoint in Sinnoh. Even though that route was annoying as heck to get through, it was still pretty fun. Kalos's snow route between Anistar and Dendemille was fun to travel through, too, especially since you got to ride around on Mamoswine XD An ice castle sounds really pretty, and I loved the one in Almia, so it'd be awesome if one of the main games received one at some point <3

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Apart from water and grasslands I don't think we've seen much of exotic climate, even in Hoenn. Even mountains in the games are lacklustre. Maybe better terrain management is unrealistic, but it won't hurt sometimes to completely base a region on a desert, like maybe in Africa? For the upcoming gens, it's certainly something fresh to see.

well by completely i meant obv we'll have grass here and there, but very little of it and very little ice types and water

Hero of Twilight

Rest in Peace Iwata.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    if we base a region on a desert, don't you think that there would be to much abundance of Ground and Rock types( Rock, i might add, needs some kind of appreciation.) also, i don't think i need to mention the giant sandstorm that might come up

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back