• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Kanto Black 2.08 (Sevii Islands Expansion)

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2022
    I'll try to release an update tomorrow fixing some major bugs.
    I'll be frank: the reason the updates have been slower is because my motivation for this project is waning (once again lol) while it is waxing for my next one. I believe I have alluded to it a few times in this thread, mentioning that I was intending to use Kanto Black as a base for it (which, considering all the developments since I have started this project, would be a horrifically asinine decision when the options on other bases are so much better.) Update: it will be on Emerald. The updated battle engine is extremely enticing. All of the features I have worked on for this hack I will attempt to port to Emerald, such and such (and work on newer things that I might port to this hack. :P).

Can't Wait then! I love emerald and there aren't many good hacks for it, (Beside light Platinum and a few others). When you release the hack, you should write and let people in this thread know so that people that are subbed to this thread can find out. Don't rush the updates if you aren't enjoying it. Focus on what you want. Its not like the game is completely broken or anything. But yea, can't wait for the new game!!!! :D

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2020
    great hack i playthroughed almost twice now and love it (: will you be making a new hack with/adding sun and moon pokemon to this hack when they are all released?

curiters

Oblivious - prevents me from being afflicted by in
    Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2017
    i wish there is a new battle background and DS-styled players

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2023
    Said I was going to release a bug fix yesterday. Nope. As I said earlier, I find it much more satisfying working on the other project right now. The small bug fix update will come some time soon...

i wish there is a new battle background and DS-styled players

I have no issues with adding new battle backgrounds and DS-styled trainer sprites for the battle scenes. It'll happen sometime in the future. :)

Hello, where can I get the Tea item?

Maybe late, but I'll provide instructions anyways: talk to the elder in the 1st floor of Celadon Mansion (other big building in Celadon).

great hack i playthroughed almost twice now and love it (: will you be making a new hack with/adding sun and moon pokemon to this hack when they are all released?

Thank you! :)
    I have nothing against them, so if I can add them complete with all of their data, I will. As for adding them to Kanto Black, most likely. :) If I do, the rainbow islands (only 1 in the currently released version) will contain some of them, and the others will be very well hidden (calling them secret areas (will work differently than hidden grottoes) while in the planning process).

Can't Wait then! I love emerald and there aren't many good hacks for it, (Beside light Platinum and a few others). When you release the hack, you should write and let people in this thread know so that people that are subbed to this thread can find out. Don't rush the updates if you aren't enjoying it. Focus on what you want. Its not like the game is completely broken or anything. But yea, can't wait for the new game!!!! :D

Oh yes, I will. :D

Last edited:

curiters

Oblivious - prevents me from being afflicted by in
    Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2017
    Thank you MM for this Amazing Hack.

Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2017
    Hello! I've been playing this and have been having fun so far, so good work!

I did find a weird text bug in the SS Anne Rival battle, though.
    qNmez.jpg

This happened after Pansear used Incinerate on my Venipede holding a Pecha Berry and destroyed it.

The text returned to normal and the berry was gone as it was supposed to be, but I thought I'd report it nonetheless.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2019
    Managed to get this running via virtual console on my 3DS and loving it so far! Only bug I've seen so far is that the description that shows at the bottom of the screen when hovering over the 'Pokédex' and 'Pokémon' entries in the menu seem to be flipped.
    Also, the animation for Heart Stamp is quite long but I'm guessing that's due to MrDollSteak's base and not your work?

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2022
    Update: it will be on Emerald. The updated battle engine is extremely enticing. All of the features I have worked on for this hack I will attempt to port to Emerald, such and such (and work on newer things that I might port to this hack. :P).

OMFG. Can't wait. That new Battle Engine is really awesome... I'm playing with it on randomized pure emerald.

~SAGE

Peruvian Rom Hacker
    Years
  • Wow! This Hackrom looks really really cool
    I've never seen something like this before!
    I will play it when i have time

Keep it up and have a nice day!

#Sage Capriccola

Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2017
    Hello again! I've still been playing and having fun, currently at Sabrina's gym, but now I got sidetracked by Rainbow Isle. I also found a couple bugs and errors which my bug tester self is gonna nag at me to report.

Gonna toss up a spoiler since I play in 3x resolution and don't feel like resizing things.
    Spoiler:

Sorry for dumping all that, but by this point, reporting all the weird stuff I find is second nature to me, aha!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2019
    Got a couple more things:
    • When electric-type moves hit my Lightningrod Blitzle, the message says that my opponent's Sp. Atk rises instead of Blitzle's (even though the stat boost animation is correctly on Blitzle). Sometimes, the first few hits of the electric move trigger the correct message to be shown, but it then switches to the incorrect one and stays like that.
    • Regenerator on my Alomomola doesn't seem to work.

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2023
    As before, I've been using my ROM hacking time to work on my Emerald hack, so not much progress has been made with Kanto Black. Once I work on it again, I'll work on having all of the reported issues fixed. Please continue reporting.

Because I usually make posts showcasing progress, here are a few more details about the Emerald hack I keep bringing up:
    - It'll have a regional dex consisting of 250-350 Pokemon from all generations. This is merely planned--no tangible progress, per say.
    - Regarding maps, all routes, cities, and dungeons before the city containing the 5th gym are done (for the most part). The reason for the fast progress is because I'm porting them from Firered where all maps up to the 7th gym are finished. (I've actually worked on this before I started working on Kanto Black.)
    - I've made my own sprites (battle and overworld) for some of the characters. They're not yet inserted into the game.
    - Normal Pokemon story because I can't see myself finishing a huge deviation from it mainly because I'm not a good writer.
    I'll release some previews of this project once I insert the heroes (hopefully in the next update). By then, I'll stop talking about it on this thread. Ideally, a demo of it will be released once everything up to the 2nd gym is complete.

Got a couple more things:
    • When electric-type moves hit my Lightningrod Blitzle, the message says that my opponent's Sp. Atk rises instead of Blitzle's (even though the stat boost animation is correctly on Blitzle). Sometimes, the first few hits of the electric move trigger the correct message to be shown, but it then switches to the incorrect one and stays like that.
    • Regenerator on my Alomomola doesn't seem to work.

Unfortunately, battle related bugs are out of my domain right now, but I can fix some of these, though the more complex ones entail a better grasp of the battle system. (Just another reason why the Emerald Battle Engine is much more enticing--source code!)

Hello again! I've still been playing and having fun, currently at Sabrina's gym, but now I got sidetracked by Rainbow Isle. I also found a couple bugs and errors which my bug tester self is gonna nag at me to report.

Gonna toss up a spoiler since I play in 3x resolution and don't feel like resizing things.
    Spoiler:

Sorry for dumping all that, but by this point, reporting all the weird stuff I find is second nature to me, aha!

Hello! I've been playing this and have been having fun so far, so good work!

I did find a weird text bug in the SS Anne Rival battle, though.

This happened after Pansear used Incinerate on my Venipede holding a Pecha Berry and destroyed it.

The text returned to normal and the berry was gone as it was supposed to be, but I thought I'd report it nonetheless.

Thanks for spotting these! Most of these I should be able to fix easily.

It would be embarrassing to keep these errors in the hack, so please continue reporting the ones you find. sigh how I could I have not used "you're".

Managed to get this running via virtual console on my 3DS and loving it so far! Only bug I've seen so far is that the description that shows at the bottom of the screen when hovering over the 'Pokédex' and 'Pokémon' entries in the menu seem to be flipped.
    Also, the animation for Heart Stamp is quite long but I'm guessing that's due to MrDollSteak's base and not your work?

Thanks! The Pokedex issue should be easy to fix. I do agree that Heart Stamp's animation is long, so I'll work on making it shorter sometime in the future.

Thanks, I wasn't sure where to look

Pardon, I'll note this down in the thread.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2019
    Unfortunately, battle related bugs are out of my domain right now, but I can fix some of these, though the more complex ones entail a better grasp of the battle system. (Just another reason why the Emerald Battle Engine is much more enticing--source code!)

Thanks! The Pokedex issue should be easy to fix. I do agree that Heart Stamp's animation is long, so I'll work on making it shorter sometime in the future.
    Don't worry! Yes, the new battle engine is very exciting. I wish I could provide some assistance with animations cause I think I'd enjoy it (and in my head I can think of lots of ideas for how new animations could work) but it appears very intimidating to someone with no hacking experience haha

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2019
    Hey, I found a bug. I raised my female Espurr to level 25, but it won't evolve. Ergo, I raised this stupid thing from level 1 for nothing, and I'm kinda mad. I actually kinda liked this hack, but now I'm salty. Could you please fix this bug?

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2023
    Hey, I found a bug. I raised my female Espurr to level 25, but it won't evolve. Ergo, I raised this stupid thing from level 1 for nothing, and I'm kinda mad. I actually kinda liked this hack, but now I'm salty. Could you please fix this bug?

This should only happen if a Pokemon is holding an Everstone. I couldn't find any errors in the data, so I have attempted to replicate this issue myself:
    hIIMIvk.png

Could you share more details that you think could have led to that outcome?

Don't worry! Yes, the new battle engine is very exciting. I wish I could provide some assistance with animations cause I think I'd enjoy it (and in my head I can think of lots of ideas for how new animations could work) but it appears very intimidating to someone with no hacking experience haha

The way we do move animations is by shifting around data in a hex editor. We pick parts from other moves and combine them to make the animation we desire. Power (Up) Punch (this one I did) is a mix of Meditate and Mach Punch, for perspectives. It wouldn't be a good starting place for me, personally. :P

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2019
    I think I know what the problem is. I don't have the National Pokedex, and Espurr is a Kalos Pokemon. In FireRed, National Dex mons won't evolve. When do you get the national dex?

Back