• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Kanto Black 2.08 (Sevii Islands Expansion)

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2023
    I think I know what the problem is. I don't have the National Pokedex, and Espurr is a Kalos Pokemon. In FireRed, National Dex mons won't evolve. When do you get the national dex?

Yeah, that would make sense. I have no intention of preventing the evolutions of Kalos Pokemon before obtaining the national dex, so this will definitely be fixed the next time I update, if this is the exact error.

You can get the national dex by seeing Prof. Oak after you meet with Bill in Vermilion City. You will encounter Bill after you defeat the 3rd Gym Leader.

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2019
    The way we do move animations is by shifting around data in a hex editor. We pick parts from other moves and combine them to make the animation we desire. Power (Up) Punch (this one I did) is a mix of Meditate and Mach Punch, for perspectives. It wouldn't be a good starting place for me, personally. :P
    Yeah, I thought for Heart Stamp I would try and find Charm and Pound and put them together but... didn't manage it haha. Found a couple more bugs by the way:
    • I noticed Crush Kin Mik & Kia are called 'Çrush Kin Mik & Kia' on the 'Player defeated...' screen (may also appear like this when you first challenge them and I just didn't notice)
    • Upon giving me my Archen, the fossil-scientist on Two Island said 'Do you want to give a nickname to this Hard Stone?'. Before speaking to him, I had given a Hard Stone to one of my Pokémon.
    • The description for Drilbur's Cave in the Town Map reads 'A seemingly plain tunnel that was dug by wild DIGLETT'. (probably one of the least important bugs ever but thought I'd report it anyway lol)
    • My Blitzle lost its gender when it evolved into Zebstrika.
    • There is a glitch in the text on Clauncher's 'Pokémon Skills' page:
      kIChBpBm.png
    • I think this should be "species'" or "species's" (this is in the Two/Three island Pokémon Centre):
      QZFlz9Xm.jpg

Years
    • Seen May 23, 2018
    It's impossible to get Rainbow Mix for the Berry Juicer girl in the battle facility area. Clicking Rainbow Mix gets you the "See anything you like?" dialogue. EDIT: Oops, I just read that known bugs section and saw that you already know of the issue.

Also, a question - I have 4 badges and went to the battle facility. I see an item that is impossible to get, it's on the left side of the main building. Is this supposed to be post-game stuff?

And another question - I've been battling in the tactics area and... what do you have to do to get to lv 2? I've had a 100 battles and still am at lv 1. (lv 50 is closed btw, so I'm battling lv 30 - is lv 50 a post-game thing?).

And a bug - Malamar can't learn TM 29 Psychic.

Last edited:

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2023
    No update yet, but again, I'll list the changes I have made since the last time I shared the log:
    Spoiler:

Now for some information regarding the Emerald hack...
    - Before I show any previews, I will first finish the maps. As of the moment, I'm doing the routes/dungeons that lead to the city with the 6th gym.
    - Buffs in the same fashion as Kanto Black + alternate forms akin to Alola formes to make weaker Pokemon funner to use. Maybe even custom moves. For the conservative folks out there, I'll make an alternate patch that reverts the Pokemon data to that of the official games. Trainers in the normal difficulty are planned to not take advantage of any of these changes while the more difficult mode will.

this hack have eevee? and all eevolutions?

Not yet. Just Eevee and Sylveon. The others are in, but unfinished.

Damn, you did an amazing job with these battle facilities. I believe you're the first person to be able to port the Battle Factory to Firered.

Using the pokemon center in Rush Tower is crashing the game for me.

I'm also experiencing a lot of glitches when using Dragon Tail in the battle facilities. When finishing off an opposing pokemon with it, they stay on the screen.

Thank you! Strictly speaking, it is not a port since I did not transfer any data from Emerald. It's a really long, complicated script that uses many of the public ASM routines as well as a few basic ones I have created. I've also changed a few things to my liking. ^^

Rush Tower's PKMN center works as intended for me although I do see how this could happen, so I'll look into it.

I'll list the Dragon Tail issue. Unfortunately, since it is a battle related issue, I don't think I'll be able to do much about it.

Yeah, I thought for Heart Stamp I would try and find Charm and Pound and put them together but... didn't manage it haha. Found a couple more bugs by the way:

Not a bad idea. I did change it to a special move so the Woobat line can make use of it, so preferably, something that looks like a special move. I might just cut Attract's animation to the point where the heart hits the enemy.

• I noticed Crush Kin Mik & Kia are called 'Çrush Kin Mik & Kia' on the 'Player defeated...' screen (may also appear like this when you first challenge them and I just didn't notice)
    Noted!

• Upon giving me my Archen, the fossil-scientist on Two Island said 'Do you want to give a nickname to this Hard Stone?'. Before speaking to him, I had given a Hard Stone to one of my Pokémon.
    Noted!

• The description for Drilbur's Cave in the Town Map reads 'A seemingly plain tunnel that was dug by wild DIGLETT'. (probably one of the least important bugs ever but thought I'd report it anyway lol)
    Noted! These errors can screw with immersion, so it's good I fix all of these.

• My Blitzle lost its gender when it evolved into Zebstrika.
    I'll note this error in the thread. This has to do with them replacing the Nidos. Someday, this will be fixed.

• There is a glitch in the text on Clauncher's 'Pokémon Skills' page:
      kIChBpBm.png
    Noted, thanks!

• I think this should be "species'" or "species's" (this is in the Two/Three island Pokémon Centre):
      QZFlz9Xm.jpg
    Fixed already. :)

Responses in bold. Thanks!

It's impossible to get Rainbow Mix for the Berry Juicer girl in the battle facility area. Clicking Rainbow Mix gets you the "See anything you like?" dialogue. EDIT: Oops, I just read that known bugs section and saw that you already know of the issue.

Also, a question - I have 4 badges and went to the battle facility. I see an item that is impossible to get, it's on the left side of the main building. Is this supposed to be post-game stuff?

And another question - I've been battling in the tactics area and... what do you have to do to get to lv 2? I've had a 100 battles and still am at lv 1. (lv 50 is closed btw, so I'm battling lv 30 - is lv 50 a post-game thing?).

And a bug - Malamar can't learn TM 29 Psychic.

Yeah, Kanto Black is still not 100% complete. I didn't think it would be worth my time to obscure everything that is incomplete as a lot of them I could add in a proximate update.

You can get the item eventually, before the Elite Four. It's the exit from the small cave in Rainbow Isle (like Artisan Cave in Emerald). To go into the cave, go to the part of Rainbow Isle with the standard mart merchant and Pokemon Nurse and try to find a way behind them. To enter the cave, you will the Silph Scope.

Yes, Lv. 50 is postgame only akin to how Emerald does it. You also cannot go beyond rank 1 trainers in Lv. 30, so to go up to higher ranks, you will have to return after you defeat the Elite Four and do the challenge in Lv. 50. I work on making this clearer.

And thanks! Easy fix. :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 17, 2017
    I look forward to playing your next hack MM. :) Will it be similar to Kanto Black (catching one region's Pokemon in another region) or will it be a totally original story?

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2020
    great work still playing this great rom hack (: my only question is why does the one prize lady in the game corner give me a klink when the dialogue says shelmet? 1,200 coins

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2020
    Hey, been enjoying the game a lot, just wanna ask a question, is Hoopa obtainable in the game?

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2023
    An update because I'll be pretty busy once again. It doesn't fix everything that has been reported thus far, but the majority I would say.

Version 2.03 Beta
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/l9mmix860hra92n/Pokemon_Kanto_Black_2.03.ips
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=79941&stc=1&d=1473056645
    Changes from 2.02 to 2.03:
    Spoiler:

Hey, been enjoying the game a lot, just wanna ask a question, is Hoopa obtainable in the game?

Yes, as well as its alternate forme. :)

great work still playing this great rom hack (: my only question is why does the one prize lady in the game corner give me a klink when the dialogue says shelmet? 1,200 coins

Thanks for spotting this! It's fixed in the new update. :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2019
    Thanks for the update! Got a couple more bugs:
    • When the move Nightmare is used, the text to say damage has been inflicted says it is due to 'NIGHTMARE' (i.e. still fully capitalised)
    • After using Flash on the first floor of Rock Tunnel, I didn't seem to be able to use it on any of the other floors. It brought up a message saying I had already used it, even though it was still dark on the level I was on. Restarting the game didn't fix it.
    • Gothita has a shadow, although AFAIK she physically touches the ground so shouldn't have one

EDIT: I think I might be stuck; I updated the game just after getting the Silph Scope but the woman by the stars in the Pokémon Tower won't let me upstairs. Nor can I get in Silph Co. or get past the sleeping Munna. I might just be an idiot and not realise where to go now though lol

Last edited:

Mystery Man

Don't be like me!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2023
    Thanks for the update! Got a couple more bugs:
    • When the move Nightmare is used, the text to say damage has been inflicted says it is due to 'NIGHTMARE' (i.e. still fully capitalised)
    • After using Flash on the first floor of Rock Tunnel, I didn't seem to be able to use it on any of the other floors. It brought up a message saying I had already used it, even though it was still dark on the level I was on. Restarting the game didn't fix it.
    • Gothita has a shadow, although AFAIK she physically touches the ground so shouldn't have one

EDIT: I think I might be stuck; I updated the game just after getting the Silph Scope but the woman by the stars in the Pokémon Tower won't let me upstairs. Nor can I get in Silph Co. or get past the sleeping Munna. I might just be an idiot and not realise where to go now though lol

Appreciate the report, thanks!

Recover 2.02, play it, and make your emulator read your current save file. You should be able to go through the woman in that version, or any other previous version. Once you are finished with Lavender, go back to 2.03. I'll look into this and provide a quick fix soon.

EDIT: Faster method with hex eitor): at 834A55, change 04 to 01.

EDIT 2: Fix is uploaded. Thank you so much for reporting this promptly!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2019
    Found a glitch in 2.1 but idk if you ever fixed it. Trying to trade ufenzent for oshawott in cinnabar island. But the mini sprite is freaking groundon and the dude won't trade with me. Just a heads up. ignore me if this glitch is fixed

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2019
    Appreciate the report, thanks!

Recover 2.02, play it, and make your emulator read your current save file. You should be able to go through the woman in that version, or any other previous version. Once you are finished with Lavender, go back to 2.03. I'll look into this and provide a quick fix soon.

EDIT: Faster method with hex eitor): at 834A55, change 04 to 01.

EDIT 2: Fix is uploaded. Thank you so much for reporting this promptly!
    Thank you for the speedy reply! However, I don't think the fix works. She still won't let me up. Will try hex editing now.

EDIT: The mediafire link in the first post still links to the old 2.03 patch, despite the text saying it links to the fix :) Will try again now

EDIT2: Yay, she has moved! Thanks for the fix :)

EDIT3 (lol): I'm guessing Gary doesn't count as a boss? I changed the difficulty to Omega to make the battle in Pokémon Tower a bit harder but it didn't seem to do anything.

Last edited:

pirateof7sea

I shall crush your hope even if there is none.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    In short, is it this hack is totally same as Fire Red in term of 'main' storyline?

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2020
    might there be another hack you create with only pokemon sun and moon pokemon based off of pokemon firered later on? anyways great work (:

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2017
    I have two questions

1 - Was Ditto ever added for breeding purposes? I know you mentioned you were going to....

2 - Is the move Energy Ball in this hack?

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2020
    I have two questions

1 - Was Ditto ever added for breeding purposes? I know you mentioned you were going to....

2 - Is the move Energy Ball in this hack?

if i recall correctly i had a whimscott which is a grass type pokemon with the move energy ball on my first palythrough. ditto i don't think is in the game though.

Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2019
    So I beat the Elite 4 today with he team of Eelicktros, Florges, Noivern, Volcarona, Greninja and Serperior. Wow this hack ended up better then I thought. I love how you pretty much added almost all the new mechanics from the later games. Plus all the TMs and move tutors help a ton. And no need to HM slave in most situations is a breath of fresh air. Thank you oh so much for this great hack. I do feel like this hack could use more post elite 4 battles. may I suggest special trainer battles? Since this game uses 5th and 6th pokemon, Ide love to battle Elite 4/Gym leaders from Unova and Kalos respectfully. Any chance you can add them in the next update? Also any way you can inpliment Leaf as a second rival? She gets the weaker starter. I feel it can Add more life to the hack in terms of feeling like this game is more then just a fire red hack with 5th and 6th pokemon. But overall this is such a well developed hack and look forward to future updates and new hacks by you :)

Back