• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon: Lost Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023

Pokémon: Lost Magic

Story:

200 Years ago the last Wizard of Onne passed away, since that day the land has been void of magic. Time has passed and the ruins of the past, magic world are mostly forgotten. Mostly.

Since the magic disappeared a shift in power started, with the rich quickly demonstrating their grip over the poorer communities. A divide across the nation occurred, the Eastern Islands of Onne being the hotspot for money, industry and technology whilst the Western Valleys suffered in terrible poverty, managing to survive on the land and from leaked resources. The Eastern Islands, the self proclaimed 'Golden Isles', excelled in everything over the centuries of freedom from magic, however their research led them to a worrying find. Deep in an underwater cavern an altar was found, and with it a fascinating relic of the past.

---​

"What?... Where... Where am I?" The young boy/girl asked him/herself. The trees around were tall and dense, much different to the urban environment he/she was used to. Stumbling around the woodland he/she noticed a protruding rock rising up from the forest, the only landmark that spanned above the treeline, so headed in that direction. Reaching the foot of the mountain a peculiar thing happened, a stairway appeared in the rock face, leading right to the top...

Features:
    • A Badge replacement, which will be apparent at the very start of the game,
    • No more Gyms,
    • Character skills which level as you progress and help you access special Pokémon and items; Foraging, Fishing, Alchemy and Force, and many more!
    • No more 'picking' your starter, this hack uses question answers to decide your Pokémon.

Screenshots:

Progress:
    One tick for Mapping, Two ticks for Scripting

Locations:
    • Mysterious Forest ✓✓ [DONE]
    • Edna's Pass ✓✓ [DONE]
    • Pamm Village ✓✓ [DONE]
    • River Bend ✓✓ [DONE]
    • Sander Dock [NEXT]
    • Loke's Cave

Misc:
    • Introduction [SOMETIME]
    • "Prof. Oak" [SOMETIME]
    • More questioning ✓✓ [DONE]
    • White-Out Script ✓✓ [DONE]

Thanks To:
    Lu-Ho - AdvanceMap
    HackMew - XSE, Overworld Editor
    diegoisawesome - XSE Tutorial
    TB Pro, Kyledove, Saurav and Alistair - SSKD ROM Base.
    TB Pro - tree tiles.
    874521 - ripped the bridge tiles.
    Here - boat tiles
    Bulbapedia - research, some images

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Yay approved :D Any helping criticism is welcome, there are a few things that need changing/refining and parts of the hack which will be edited in time.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • The story sounds interesting and judging by the screenshots, you seem to be able to follow it nicely. Keep up the good work !
    Looking forward to testing this out.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Sounds good, at least something id like to play :)
    Looks like you put a lot of thought into your story. I hope that you can work it all out. Good Luck!

Looks very promising..Do you need any help?

I have the main stuff, Mapping/Scripting/Planning down. The only thing I could use I suppose is someone who can make good character OWs with matching battle poses - if you're any good at that? ><

The story sounds interesting and judging by the screenshots, you seem to be able to follow it nicely. Keep up the good work !
    Looking forward to testing this out.

Thank you! I recognise your username from... probably years ago when I released my last hacking attempt. Nice to know some people here are still the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xela

Do you believe in yourself?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2024
    Sup SS, remember me? Your old hacking buddy from I don't remember when.
    Glad to see you're starting on a hack again. Love the story and the features are very interesting.

Best of luck with anything that comes your way. Looks promising like many others have said already.
    And if you ever need help of any sort, I would gladly volunteer to assist you. :)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Sup SS, remember me? Your old hacking buddy from I don't remember when.
    Glad to see you're starting on a hack again. Love the story and the features are very interesting.

Best of luck with anything that comes your way. Looks promising like many others have said already.
    And if you ever need help of any sort, I would gladly volunteer to assist you. :)

Alex! Of course I remember you :3 Good to see you still around :D It's nice to know if I need to run ideas off someone you're still around. You probably recognise most of the tileset from Sanctuary, I love them so much I had to recycle them a bit.

--------

So whilst I'm here I'll explain how the Skills that I mention in the feature work:

---​

The first skill you'll come across is Foraging. With skills the more you use it, the higher it levels. For example to get from Lv. 1 -> Lv. 2 you need to use the skill three times.

Foraging revolves around scavenging the land basically. At the moment this means raiding birds nests (poor Pidgeys :() as well as special sites such as Mushrooms and Bins. Foraging a site uses it all up, so it may take some exploration to get to the higher levels.

Higher levels of Foraging allow you to scavenge rarer items, such a hold items for your Pokémon.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Wow, looking good! :) The story looks interesting as well as the screenies, but I don't like that you used a rombase. :/

And what happened to Sanctuary, your old hack? I still remember it. :(

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2013
    Foraging, Fishing, Alchemy and Force
    and mystery dungeon style choice of starter.
    Just awesome :)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Wow, looking good! :) The story looks interesting as well as the screenies, but I don't like that you used a rombase. :/

And what happened to Sanctuary, your old hack? I still remember it. :(

I'm impressed! Santuary had some ROM problems which led to me having to reinsert everything into a new ROM... That kind of made me care a lot less unfortunately :(.

Technically all I'm using from the ROM-Base is some tiles (trees and mountains, maybe something else...). These may get replaced with other tiles, and the all the main palettes have been edited from the ROM-Base to my liking :3

Foraging, Fishing, Alchemy and Force
    and mystery dungeon style choice of starter.
    Just awesome :)

Thanks!

----

Would anyone be really annoyed if there was no Pokédex in the game? I can't really see a point for having one, normally people force it into the games one way or another just for the sake of it ><.

Last edited:

Xela

Do you believe in yourself?
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2024
    Would anyone be really annoyed if there was no Pokédex in the game? I can't really see a point for having one, normally people force it into the games one way or another just for the sake of it ><.
    You could just make the player start with a PokéDex? I think that would be better since some people might actually want it. :)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    You could just make the player start with a PokéDex? I think that would be better since some people might actually want it. :)

Possibly! What I might do is introduce it later in the game, if I can think up a logical reason for it to exist.

Introducing Amy

Amy is a beginner trainer and one of the first NPCs you'll meet. She's quite a lively character and she doesn't like to lose, through out your journey you'll encounter her - but is she friend or foe?

Amy is the first NPC you battle, she also plays an important role in one of the first major plot events.

Also updated the main post with corrected Screenshots as well as updated the progress report.

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    No comments eh? Oh well, update!

Introducing Pamm Village

Pamm Village is the first settlement you'll encounter in Onne. There are two buildings of high significance here, one gives the opportunity to buy an item which will become very useful later on and the other introduces a new skill!

Below is the map of the village, please feel free to give your thoughts on it, theorise or ask questions.

Spoiler:

WillPowerPedro

https://soundcloud.com/cammdavidson
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 9, 2022
    I totally love the mapping and tiles. Some of the best mapping I have seen this year. Keep up the good work!

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Updates are looking great! :) Could you save your images as .png though? .jpg looks terrible. >_<

Just few critiques about the map though, there a two layers of mountain on one side of the town, but only one on the other. Above the bridge looks a bit empty, maybe you could fill it in? and the PC looks a bit off. :( Other than that, though, the mapping looks great! :D

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I totally love the mapping and tiles. Some of the best mapping I have seen this year. Keep up the good work!

Thanks! :)

Updates are looking great! :) Could you save your images as .png though? .jpg looks terrible. >_<

Just few critiques about the map though, there a two layers of mountain on one side of the town, but only one on the other. Above the bridge looks a bit empty, maybe you could fill it in? and the PC looks a bit off. :( Other than that, though, the mapping looks great! :D

Haha certainly, the map especially looks such low quality o_o''.

For the mountains it's meant to be a sharp drop so from the viewing angle you can only see one ledge, although in theory there is two.

I agree about the area above the bridge! At the moment I've put some NPCs there to fill the gap.

And the PC had door issues and needs a different 'corner' tile so it matches the floor :3 Thanks.

I'll get on to fixing those issues and next time I do a runthrough I'll make sure to save .png.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back