• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Maize Version [BETA 3 RELEASED]

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    *mind blown*

Okay, Maize is officially my most anticipated hack of 2015!

I'm scared to even know how you managed to add alternate sprites..
    1. Insert sprites in an empty bank.
    2. When loading a pokemon's sprite, do "if the alternate sprite byte is set, load the mon's alternate sprite"

Not too difficult, actually! The tricky part was making room in Bank 0, like always...

Jukai

JET DINO, YEAH
    Years
  • I've decided that I'm going to release a Beta 3.0 sometime in the next couple weeks. Originally, I was planning on not releasing anything else until the full version, but releasing stuff is fun. Here's some cool new stuff:

First, I've finished an Event Pokémon Giveaway feature. When Beta 3.0 is released, you'll be able to go to a website where you'll receive a special code that tell an NPC. That NPC will give you whatever the current event giveaway pokemon is if you enter the correct code! Here's a sneak peak at what the first event Pokémon will be:
    Pokémon Maize Version [BETA 3 RELEASED]

As you can see, this Squirtle Squad is wearing sunglasses. That's because I've added alternate sprites for some Pokémon in the game. The backsprites in battle also have sunglasses. :) I'll be updating the event pokemon every few weeks.

I've also added a new area called the Bike Park. You can't receive a Bike as an item (you already have running shoes), so you get to fulfill your Bike craving by taking the Bike Park Challenge. You'll have to navigate a challenging course spanning several maps while trying not to run out of air in your tires. Here's what it looks like:

(Those black donuts are supposed to be tires.)

Duuuuuuuuuude.

I'm glad you're adding more new features; You never seem to disappoint. I'm especially hyped for Event Pokemon. Keep up the good work.

Bliss

Part-time Pegasister, Part-time PokéFreak
    Years
  • 1. Insert sprites in an empty bank.
    2. When loading a pokemon's sprite, do "if the alternate sprite byte is set, load the mon's alternate sprite"

Not too difficult, actually! The tricky part was making room in Bank 0, like always...
    I still wish we could expand Gen I and repoint easily... Wonder if it will ever be possible?

Regardless, thanks for the info~ and keep up the great work!

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Nice updates! I really like the bike park. Can you explain more about it?
    It's sort of an obstacle course. You're given a bike with a little bit of tire pressure. The tire pressure goes down every move you make. There are single-use bike pumps in the park that you can use to increase the air pressure in your tires. When the air pressure runs out, you are kicked out of the bike park (like when you run out of steps in the safari zone). There are things like buttons that open gates, rough ground that depletes your air pressure faster, and stuff like that. Of course, there are lots of items to pick up, and you get an HM at the end, but in order to get the HM, you have to be pretty efficient with your movements.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Beta 3.0 has been released

Check out the first post to get beta 3.0! It goes through 6 badges, and there are lots of new gameplay features that weren't in beta 2. Also be sure to check out the Event Pokemon Givaway section in the first post!

Save files from earlier versions are not compatible.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Beta 3.0 has been released

Check out the first post to get beta 3.0! It goes through 6 badges, and there are lots of new gameplay features that weren't in beta 2. Also be sure to check out the Event Pokemon Givaway section in the first post!

What a pleasant surprise. Very excited to start playing Maize again. I like that the Battle Factory is being incorporated, and event Pokemon is a nice addition as well. Will we have to start a new save file? Sorry if it is answered in the 1st post, but I'm on my phone and I didn't see it answered...

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    What a pleasant surprise. Very excited to start playing Maize again. I like that the Battle Factory is being incorporated, and event Pokemon is a nice addition as well. Will we have to start a new save file? Sorry if it is answered in the 1st post, but I'm on my phone and I didn't see it answered...
    Unfortunately, save files aren't compatible, so you'll have to start over. Too much data was moved around. Sorry :(

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    I gotta ask, how are shiny pokemon supposed to be told apart from normal pokemon since this is a gen 1 hack and because of that can't display GBC era colors properly? Does changing the setting to GBC on the emulator allow for that in this case? I have to ask since I hadn't as of yet played gen 1 hacks on any setting other than GB setting and I'm still boggled by the kind of changes one could make on the original games that I have no clue as to how some things are possible still.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I gotta ask, how are shiny pokemon supposed to be told apart from normal pokemon since this is a gen 1 hack and because of that can't display GBC era colors properly? Does changing the setting to GBC on the emulator allow for that in this case? I have to ask since I hadn't as of yet played gen 1 hacks on any setting other than GB setting and I'm still boggled by the kind of changes one could make on the original games that I have no clue as to how some things are possible still.
    Yeah, you have to play with SGB (super gameboy) mode turned on to see the colors like they are in the screenshots I posted. The shiny pokemon also flash the screen black when they appear, so you can still tell if you're playing in regular GB mode. Most emulators support SGB mode, and I think they usually default to this mode anyway.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Ok thanks, I haven't played rom hacks for very long so I don't know a few things so this helps a lot.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    The event squirtle's stats aren't being randomly generated for me. I keep getting 20, 10, 12, 9, 11 for HP, attack, defense, speed, and special respectively when I should be getting different results each attempt.

Jukai

JET DINO, YEAH
    Years
  • Beta 3.0 has been released

Save files from earlier versions are not compatible.

Sweet! I'll be sure to give it a go at some point.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    The event squirtle's stats aren't being randomly generated for me. I keep getting 20, 10, 12, 9, 11 for HP, attack, defense, speed, and special respectively when I should be getting different results each attempt.
    The stats are determined when you generate the code on the website, not when you enter the code in the game. If you enter the same code in the game multiple times, you'll get an identical pokemon.

Sweet! I'll be sure to give it a go at some point.
    Great! Let me know how it goes when you do.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Just a quick heads up, I realized I had broken the 6th Gym Leader's team, so I just uploaded a new patch (Beta 3.1) that fixes that. Save files from Beta 3.0 are compatible. So, if you already started playing Beta 3.0, you'll want to do the following:

1. Download Beta 3.1 patch: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=7857446#download
    2. Patch a clean Red version ROM.
    3. Delete your old Beta 3.0 ROM and rename the new one to the same name as your beta 3.0 ROM.

You should be able the play with your current save file, and the 6th Gym Leader's team won't be glitchy. Apologies for the dumb mistake on my part.

Back