• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Maize Version [BETA 3 RELEASED]

Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2015
Sweet. By the way. I have an idea for more rings, or even items:
Ring that increases the power of a type, say a magma ring, it would work kinda like the gen 2 item Charcoal. Just an idea. Make it so that it has to be at the top of the list to be in effect.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
Sweet. By the way. I have an idea for more rings, or even items:
Ring that increases the power of a type, say a magma ring, it would work kinda like the gen 2 item Charcoal. Just an idea. Make it so that it has to be at the top of the list to be in effect.

I've considered adding items that boost the power of each move type. Rather than doing that, I've decided to stick with rings that boost attack/defense/speed/special. Of course, there are lots of other rings that help in other ways, like the Wonder Ring, which removes type immunity. (Tackle on a Gengar would work).

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Wow. This hack is quite impressive.
You've added a lot of unique stuff.

I love the new icons you used, and the running shoes are pretty neat.

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
I'm thrilled to play this game; haven't seen a quality Gen 1 hack besides Brown. I also played your Red Battle Factory hack, so I know what you're capable of!

EDIT: Just finished the first beta, very impressed with your work.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
Wow. This hack is quite impressive.
You've added a lot of unique stuff.

I love the new icons you used, and the running shoes are pretty neat.
Thanks! For the upcoming beta 2.0, I don't think I'll be adding any more new features other than those I've been posting about. At this point, I'm just scrambling to get the game back to the point where beta 1 ended. (If you didn't know, I've been remaking the game using the pokered disassembly, rather than hex editing.)

I'm thrilled to play this game; haven't seen a quality Gen 1 hack besides Brown. I also played your Red Battle Factory hack, so I know what you're capable of!

EDIT: Just finished the first beta, very impressed with your work.
Glad to hear you played the Battle Factory hack! That one was fun to make. You should have waited a month to play the next beta because I've added a ton of new stuff, even though the story will end at the same point. Oh well, you'll just have to play it again when I release it!

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
Years
Glad to hear you played the Battle Factory hack! That one was fun to make. You should have waited a month to play the next beta because I've added a ton of new stuff, even though the story will end at the same point. Oh well, you'll just have to play it again when I release it!

I actually started the game now to have a save file ready to go for the new beta. I also did this with Brown recently when the game's base went from Gen 1 to Gen 2.

Also wanted to say that there were no bugs or glitches in the beta that I detected, which surprised me for a Gen 1 hack.

(I know you're cramming for finals, but I just wanted to makes sure you knew that.)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
I'm looking for an artist to work with me on this hack. I'm pretty bad at spriting, so I would love the help. Here are the specific things that I'm hoping for in order of importance:

1. New gym leader sprites
2. New acquired badge graphics
3. New trainer sprites
4. New tiles

If you know any artists who might be interested in working with me, please refer them to me.

Thanks!

80C

"This is a text filler!"
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2022
Well... I'm quite experienced as Gen1\2 spriter, it's not a problem for me create and then compress the trainer sprites;
A few examples of my spriting skills (No devamp tools used, 100% done with paint):

cpik_zpsd269686e.png
PokemonGrape_03_zps27f8df87.png
6ij.png
rwuf.png

Badge sprites are the easiest to implement since the graphics used for the badges are already uncompressed (2bpp).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
Well... I'm quite experienced as Gen1\2 spriter, it's not a problem for me create and then compress the trainer sprites;
A few examples of my spriting skills (No devamp tools used, 100% done with paint):

cpik_zpsd269686e.png
PokemonGrape_03_zps27f8df87.png
6ij.png
rwuf.png

Badge sprites are the easiest to implement since the graphics used for the badges are already uncompressed (2bpp).
Are you good at creating sprites from scratch? I'm not really interested in using sprites that are recycled from existing sprites. Although, if it's altered enough from the original, that would work too. I want the graphics to look original, but still look like they belong in the game.

As far as compressing them and inserting them into the game, that's not a problem. I can do all of that if I have the image.

80C

"This is a text filler!"
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2022
Of course, 90% of my sprites are from scratch or are really modificated (exept for the badges I showed in the badge screen screenshot where I recycled some Gen2 sprites for obvious reasons), here are some of my sprites done 100% from scratch (this time some more serious and complicated work):

f6-salamence_zps88944fa1.png
Groudon_zps00c502db.png
milotic_zps74f51782.png
ec-aron-_zps1578450a.png
mightyena_zpsc9c1cdf3.png
uranytar_zpsfd33a928.png
ee-aggron-_zps9406f39d.png

Yup, Nintendo quality.

Note that the pic before the last one (the second from the right) isn't based on any other existant sprite.

doubts about my spriting abilities?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
Of course, 90% of my sprites are from scratch or are really modificated (exept for the badges I showed in the badge screen screenshot where I recycled some Gen2 sprites for obvious reasons), here are some of my sprites done 100% from scratch (this time some more serious and complicated work):

f6-salamence_zps88944fa1.png
Groudon_zps00c502db.png
milotic_zps74f51782.png
ec-aron-_zps1578450a.png
mightyena_zpsc9c1cdf3.png
uranytar_zpsfd33a928.png
ee-aggron-_zps9406f39d.png

Yup, Nintendo quality.

Note that the pic before the last one (the second from the right) isn't based on any other existant sprite.

doubts about my spriting abilities?
What I meant by "from scratch" is that the sprite is completely new, and not devamped or anything like that. I think this sprite looks good:
uranytar_zpsfd33a928.png

I could give you the details for the first Gym Leader and we'll see how it turns out?
  • Name: Blandy
  • Uses Normal-type Pokemon
  • He is boring
  • He is not confident in his abilities
I'm sure you already know this...but the trainer sprites are 56x56 pixels and use 4 colors.

Thanks!

80C

"This is a text filler!"
Years
  • Seen May 13, 2022
Okay, I'll come up with something today, I'll post the pic as soon as I'll finish it.
Is he the first GYM Leader?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
I'm nearing completion of beta 2.0, and I would love the help of some beta testers. I don't currently know of any bugs, but I'm sure there are a few that I've missed along the way!

PM me if you're interested.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
A few beta testers played through the next release, and they found a few easy-to-fix bugs, which is awesome! I've also added Day/Night to the next beta. At this point, it's just a visual effect, and it doesn't affect any gameplay. However, in the future, I'm planning on incorporating it into scripts/wild pokemon/etc. Right now, it changes to day or night every 30 minutes of gameplay you have. Here's a comparison of the Day and Night palettes:
LtOEV3w.png
Dde29yE.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
Here's an update. With some help from Sanky and Danny-E 33, I've fixed some sprite set issues that don't appear in Visual Boy Advance. I added some new animations for future-gen moves like Crunch. I also realized that it was possible for the player to get stuck in the Copper Town Gym if they saved the game and came back later, so I just changed it so that it doesn't let the player save the game on that map. There are 2 other more interesting things I implemented. The first is an indicator on the stats screen that shows up if a pokemon has perfect DVs (same thing as IVs in future-gen games). Here's a screenshot of that (you can see the word "PERFECT" on the left side):
bravogV.png

I also added swarms! One route in the game always has a swarm on it, and the swarm changes every hour of gameplay (might change to every half hour). This guy in Copper Town's pokecenter will help you find swarms! (If you're not familiar with what a "swarm" is in the future-gen games, it just means that a certain pokemon becomes common on some route, and usually that pokemon is extremely rare when a swarm isn't happening.)
njtYQv6.png
EigSyKT.png
WMsQSz4.png

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
Sorry for all these double posts... Here's another update:

1. New song for the intro speech: https://soundcloud.com/huderlem/maize-introduction
  2. At night, music plays slower on outdoor maps.
  3. At night, wild pokemon in outdoor maps have a 10% chance of being asleep.
  4. Finished adding swarms. (Notable pokemon include Scyther, Ditto, and Murkrow for the upcoming beta)

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
I just finished adding an optional Nuzlocke mode to the game. You get to choose at the very beginning of the game whether or not you want to play with Nuzlocke mode enabled. I implemented these 4 Nuzlocke rules:

1. Pokemon die instead of fainting.
2. If all of your pokemon die, it's game over. The game deletes your save file!
3. You only have one chance to catch a pokemon in each area. This includes Route 1 where you don't even have any pokeballs, yet!
4. You are forced to nickname all pokemon you acquire.

Hopefully, Nuzlocke will add a bunch of extra challenge if you want it. I know that the normal game isn't super challenging (on purpose).

cKpXtIw.png
oWfxvbD.png

1sSLjTf.png
Dk6FL39.png

4CRYXnV.png

Last edited:
Back