• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Nightmare

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
Years
  • POKéMON NIGHTMARE

Producers – Me, I guess I'm alone.

Spriters – They aren't really from around here, so I'll just mention their usernames on other places: Salimus, Kuroko and Yerashii

ROM base for hacking – Pokémon Emerald ROM

THE STORY

*HIGHLY SPOILER*

Your life was calm in Johto… you knew the entire village, and everyone knew you as a great person…

Your mother was your only family there.

This peace only lasted to the day you are sent into the Magnet Train, heading to a new region, heading to…

The beginning of a Nightmare.

In the year of the elections for the King position, you are sent into the Orthan Kingdom to live with your aunt, until you are introduced to your neighbor and start a journey to reach the legendary Pokémon worshipped in the kingdom…

In the midst, you are involved by that same neighbor in the Team Darkness chase, while competing for entirely new badges with new Gym Leaders, and also competing in the Orthan Championship, which includes 5 cups with many different challenges. Discover new terrains step by step as you go further into the story of a problematic coronation period, joining forces with Team Shadow to obliterate the efforts of Team Darkness…

And despite it all…

Will you be able to come out alive?

And what happened in the accident in Johto in the same day you arrived to Orthan?

All of that will unveil while going through a true Pokémon Nightmare.

THE FEATURES

What can I say besides:

-> A big, wide world for you alone to discover. The Orthan Kingdom opens its doors to you;

-> New tiles, whole new sprites, and entirely new cities;

-> A new storyline to follow;

-> New rivals and new allies, new foes and new trainers, along with a various twists in the story.

-> Challenge the Orthan Colosseums or the Gym Leaders: the path you choose is solely up to you. (Still being worked on)

-> Get ready for a lot of events that have been incorporated in the storyline!

-> Radio for everyone! Find more than 3 Radio Stations in Orthan, all broadcasting different shows, from tips to music!

THE SCREENSHOTS
    OLD - The tiles in most are outdated, but the dialogs mostly remain true to the current ones.
    Spoiler:

NEW
    Spoiler:

THE WORLD MAP

Now, do pay attention to something: while this might not be exactly the map to be inserted (due to some positioning problems) it is, in fact, the aspect it will have:

Pokémon Nightmare

THE Production notes

So, this isn't my first time hacking, but it is the first project I'm dedicated in completing, so I guess you can call it the first "extensive hacking".

The storyline may seem very, VERY slightly similar to Emerald because of some minor tweaks I'll have to make in it, but besides that, you'll see it's brand-new.

The tiles for now were edited in a small scale, solely because there are only two spriters and there is barely time to make'em sprites due to school time.

On a last note, this project, homonymous to my fanfic, was actually planned before it, but I didn't have knowledge of the hacking methods, so I dropped it at that time.

THE Errors/Bugs

Spoiler:

Last edited:

MK

i hate playing demo hacks
    Years
    • CA
    • Seen Sep 18, 2010
    The story is very creative!
    I like how you go from Johto to another region

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    good! its an emerald hack! im sure itll be great when youll fully edit the story!!

D. Lawride

Years
  • Yeah, sorry for that... :/
    I'll be moving to another host in a moment.

EDIT: New file available, this time on a new host.

Last edited:

Konet

Midnight Troper
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    So, I played for a bit, and found a couple bugs, and quite a few grammar mistakes. I'll post them or PM the grammar issues if you'd like, and if you need any help, I'd be more than willing than to be a text editor for you.

As for the bugs, most of them are fairly small, or simply because it's the start of the hack.

If you go south from Victala, there's an area of rock you can walk on. I took a pic, but apparently I'm not allowed to post links yet. Anyway, when I entered/got on the rock, I was able to go down some more and battle a bug catcher (while in a tree), and there appeared to be a Pokeball stuck inside of another tree.

It might just be a problem because I'm playing as the boy, but the houses seem to be reversed. CAL's is positioned on the left, but when you enter, it goes to the right. My own house is the same, but it goes left as opposed to right.

The aunt is called "Mom" if you go downstairs without setting the clock, and if you go back into the house to heal.

Signs, the save screen and some NPCs all refer to the original locations.

I stopped playing right before I battled Roxanne/Talon, but I'll probably get back to it within an hour or two. It's quite fun so far, and I'm intrigued to see where it goes.

D. Lawride

Years
  • So, I played for a bit, and found a couple bugs, and quite a few grammar mistakes. I'll post them or PM the grammar issues if you'd like, and if you need any help, I'd be more than willing than to be a text editor for you.

As for the bugs, most of them are fairly small, or simply because it's the start of the hack.

If you go south from Victala, there's an area of rock you can walk on. I took a pic, but apparently I'm not allowed to post links yet. Anyway, when I entered/got on the rock, I was able to go down some more and battle a bug catcher (while in a tree), and there appeared to be a Pokeball stuck inside of another tree.

It might just be a problem because I'm playing as the boy, but the houses seem to be reversed. CAL's is positioned on the left, but when you enter, it goes to the right. My own house is the same, but it goes left as opposed to right.

The aunt is called "Mom" if you go downstairs without setting the clock, and if you go back into the house to heal.

Signs, the save screen and some NPCs all refer to the original locations.

I stopped playing right before I battled Roxanne/Talon, but I'll probably get back to it within an hour or two. It's quite fun so far, and I'm intrigued to see where it goes.

Thanks for the warnings. :)

The houses... well, I had a lot of trouble putting the houses, and one of the problems was exactly their location according to the other one and according to the town's map itself. Apparently, you're right about it, she enters the right and exits the left. I'll fix that for the next file.

The rock area, its a small lapse of mine. See, the area isn't still finished, because as you can see from it, there should be another exit south, leading to a new place. However, because there aren't any map connections and Rock Smash isn't usable - nor available - I just focused on editing the scripts for the place before I went over to mapping.

As for the grammatic errors... eheh, oops. <.<

Either ways, I'd be glad to have a text editor. At least for snatching some errors and such, I have a hard time finding them because I nee to read and then go over to finding them wih some scripting program - I got A-text only recently because it wouldn't work. <.<

D. Lawride

Years
  • Sorry for a small delay, but I has got a new beta file. This one including more cities, although I do have some more bugs to report. Just check the first post, and help would be appreciated in fixing any of them.

After going through quite the trouble scripting, I found a way around using the ship to reach the other side of the bay.

New sprites, from the hero to the heroine and others. Not much progress with tilesets YET because I haven't gotten the latest tiles to use.

I also deepened the storyline, changing most of the texts Konet had the work of identifying as wrong and adding other new ones. Also, I messed with the orginal script order quite a lot for the first time.

Well, enjoy the new one. :p

D. Lawride

Years
  • Like your Game. Try changing the building tiles.

Thanks! I will be changing them, but the spriting part right now is very slow because I have only one spriter doing the whole job, and he can't always be available, which slows the process down.

Nice Heroine OW, but you can try removing the original Emerald Scripts, as what I see in the screenshots.

Thanks as well! I already have the hero's one available, too. As for the scripts, some are just useful for storyline purposes - which may result in sounding a bit generic - and the first few seen in the screenshots are the ones I will definitely need. Still, I am changing everything from that point on. I'm not really an expert scripter, not even close, so I don't know a few things that might be basic or not.

By the way thanks for the reminder. And I will have to update the screenshots and add some other stuff I now have, such as the world map and a banner. ^^

Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    This game is pretty cool. I like how you made gary a leader, and you used the HGSS sprite. The world map is also looking good. Keep up the good work.

D. Lawride

Years
  • This game is pretty cool. I like how you made gary a leader, and you used the HGSS sprite. The world map is also looking good. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the comment, glad you liked the idea of the Gym Leader! There are a few others to see, but I'll have to keep working on them to get them done. ^^

D. Lawride

Years
  • So, I decided to make some updates here.

First, I'll add a few more screenshots, but this one in particular. You might have noticed I updated some, too.

Pokémon Nightmare

This is a rough aspect of how Orthan Castle will look. Some of the tiles are still glitched up, though, I'm trying to figure out how to solve this. Might add to the list of bugs.

Also, there's a new beta file available, with a new city and some new maps.

Also, many of the sprites have been edited, and hopefully, most of the current gramatical errors corrected.

Enjoy it now!

EDIT: I would like to remind I am looking for some positions in the team, and help would be appreciated. ^^

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
  • I just played the Beta.
    Gotta say, you should make sure you edit the Trainers' Text, original Emerald Trainer text is just bad...

Also, I'm sure that the Hero's name isn't Brendan... Don't you have a name planned for him?
    The Heroine's name shouldn't be called as May as well, you have a name for the opposite gender Rival, don't you?

D. Lawride

Years
  • I just played the Beta.
    Gotta say, you should make sure you edit the Trainers' Text, original Emerald Trainer text is just bad...

Also, I'm sure that the Hero's name isn't Brendan... Don't you have a name planned for him?
    The Heroine's name shouldn't be called as May as well, you have a name for the opposite gender Rival, don't you?

Yeah, well sppoted. I do have a name for them, but I got it only recently and as such, haven't gotten the opportunity to change all of the text with their names.

Hum, about the Trainers' text. I didn't really get that. You mean the fields' trainers' dialogue?

Back