• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon: Odyssey

What do you think to thi sgame?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchman

Banned
Years
  • Wow nice work man! Hopefully this is as hyped up as it is. I mean i want a nice good rival game.....nah dont worry ill never try to surpass you(although i might...)

Waudby

Well I hope it lives up to the hype. So I'll be thoroughly testing it before it's released into the public domain :P

Certain features will be added after the game release date, like the online battles as this is something I haven't got time to work on at the moment as it requires a lot more attention than a normal battle system.

trading will be done over the internet as well, so that will be fixed once the game is released, and hopefully I can make it so that trade evo's will work :D.

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2009
    Well I hope it lives up to the hype. So I'll be thoroughly testing it before it's released into the public domain :P

Certain features will be added after the game release date, like the online battles as this is something I haven't got time to work on at the moment as it requires a lot more attention than a normal battle system.

trading will be done over the internet as well, so that will be fixed once the game is released, and hopefully I can make it so that trade evo's will work :D.

:D Online trading? Cool. Will there be online battling and contests?

Waudby

It is possible to make online battles and probably contests, I've still got to learn about the networking features in Sphere, as it's a quite complicated process.

However it will be introduced into the game, via an update after release.

Waudby

Aha cool waudby cool. Any thing new or are you going to suprise us in a wek?

I'm now mapping a few new areas and finishing up some core parts of the battle system.

But nothing new to show yet.

I'm planning a big update for sometime soon with a screenshots and story info as well as (hopefully) a finished battle system :D

CP3

2Pac is still alive!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    You probably heard this a million time but I will say it anyway, I like the saturation a lot it really fits in with the tiles. Also, I like the battle system. Overall I like how the game is turning out.

Last edited:

Waudby

Thanks for the comment, the battle system is coming along nicely, the main core is nearly finished, it's not an exact replica of the official ones, because of two reasons, one my limited knowledge of the best way to do things, and secondly, because it would take such a long time to fully implement.

What it does have however is, all attacks up to D/P/Pt, all pokemon, effectiveness, bag options, run options, pokemon switching, etc etc.

No battle animations however.

Waudby

Aha so you have the bouncing magikarp right?

You mean the animations at the start of battle? They are scripted in, I haven't added them to the battle loop yet though, and because of the way they are handled inside the official animation engine nintendo had, they will only be two images shown in a loop instead of the actual ones you see in games.

As a small news update, the game progress has been slow this weekend as I've been busy working(actual work :P)

However I've managed to slightly do some small work on the battle system, i'm still not quite finished the first part of the story yet, it has to be fully implemented yet, But once it is, I will give an extensive background story that leads up to the game.

Waudby

Ah I did not no this, D/P/Pt have the same moves correct? Just different movesets?

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Yes, there are no new moves in Platinum. If you want, though, I can find you a list of level-up move changes; the vast majority are due to new move tutors.

Waudby

Yes, there are no new moves in Platinum. If you want, though, I can find you a list of level-up move changes; the vast majority are due to new move tutors.

That would be really handy if you could do that.

I didn't realize that the movesets had been altered :P

*i hope you will all like the look of the new pokemon battle summary*

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Here you go (credit to the hard-working bunch at Smogon for this list):
    Spoiler:

That's all the new Platinum level up moves.

Waudby

I'll begin adding these in, could I also ask, in the essentials starter kit, how are OHKO moves dealt with and moves like splash?

Are these seperate cases which are handled differently to all the rest or is the effect of each move dealt with by itself?

Rhuan

Sphere scripter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2010
    It is possible to make online battles and probably contests, I've still got to learn about the networking features in Sphere, as it's a quite complicated process.

However it will be introduced into the game, via an update after release.
    Networking in sphere is not complicated.

Also, regarding all your comments on animations they would be very very easy to script, you just need the graphics.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Thanks a lot Wichu.

I'll begin adding these in, could I also ask, in the essentials starter kit, how are OHKO moves dealt with and moves like splash?

Are these seperate cases which are handled differently to all the rest or is the effect of each move dealt with by itself?

OHKO moves are similar to Dragon Rage and SonicBoom. However, instead of dealing 20/40 HP damage, the damage is equal to the foe's remaining HP.

Splash is just a move with no power, like Growl. Instead of having an effect which lowers the foe's Attack, it has an effect to display a message ("But nothing happened..."). They're not handled any differently; each move effect is a new class which overwrites certain methods of a base move class (OHKOs would override the damage calculation and accuracy methods).

CP3

2Pac is still alive!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    Are you still planing to do those release packs you said a while back?

Waudby

Yeah, the release packs will still become available at some point, I'm not sure exactly how i'll make them available yet, maybe some sort of special event type thing.

screenshot%202008.12.01%2016.27.05.0753.png

Quick surprise update, the new (still partially unfinished) pokémon selection screen in battle.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back