• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Not a lot of pokemon seem to have "Vital Throw" as a vital part of their moveset, and Submission and Cross Chop are already decently powerful physical fighting type attacks.

Twineedle and Pin Missle are pretty much the same thing as well, so one of those could go as well.

Black Sludge is kinda redundant without Trick as well (Thief is a thing, but.. meh), unless Battle Tower enforces Item Clause.

I haven't seen Sticky Barb being used, ever. I'd personally call that one even more niche than Eject Button/Red Card IMO.

Moves I wouldn't miss, including moves I know you have disagreed on earlier (for completeness' sake):
    * Slam
    * Mud Slap (only if Roost replaced it)
    * Submission (only if Close Combat replaced it)
    * Vital Throw
    * One of Morning Sun and Moonlight
    * One of Pound and Scratch
    * One of Fury Attack and Fury Swipes

I have a hard time figuring out anything else to remove, tbh (This is also why I've started to consider looking into move expansions, even though it would probably be tricky to pull off).

EDIT: Does Struggle still function if you move that to index FF and remove the special case where using move FF instantly skips the turn? This special case is unused in GSC (in RBY it is used for Wrap).

Battle Tower does have the item clause, so I can see Black Sludge being useful.

For the record:

• Whirlwind: Butterfree, Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot, Murkrow (replaced Tailwind), Lugia, Ho-Oh
    • Vital Throw: Machop/Machoke/Machamp, Pinsir
    • Twineedle: Beedrill (signature)
    • Pin Missile: Beedrill, Jolteon, Spinarak/Ariados, Qwilfish, Heracross
    • Slam: Pikachu, Bellsprout/Weepinbell, Onix/Steelix, Krabby/Kingler, Tangela/Tangrowth, Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite, Sentret/Furret, Sudowoodo, Wooper/Quagsire, Phanpy/Donphan
    • Mud-Slap: 21 Pokémon + 156 by TM

Goodbye, Whirlwind and Twineedle. Butterfree and Beedrill each lose a move.

I'll keep Vital Throw in mind if I want to add another (Roost? Volt Switch? Toxic Spikes? Roost would be nice to make up for the lack of Whirlwind and Mirror Move, two moves that added flavor to birds. Volt Switch could use the same code as U-Turn.)

Slam is unexciting, but it's a lesser form of Body Slam that's a nice filler move. Wouldn't mind replacing it with something very good, though.

Mud-Slap is too widespread and I like it in the early game. The pairs of Pound+Scratch, Fury Attack+Fury Swipes, and Morning Sun+Moonlight also stay. (I already merged Synthesis with Morning Sun. They're important for Espeon and Umbreon.) Thank you for listing them, though, I just think their absence would be too noticable.

I tried moving Struggle to index FF a while back and it wasn't working. If the obsolete Wrap case is the only reason it's reserved, then yeah, it should be replacable by a real move.

Also, more obsessing about gatehouses. :P I've given the Kanto gates a custom palette so they look cleaner and more modern, less like Johto's traditional wooden architecture. And they're a bit more symmetrical.

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Last edited:

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
    Years
    What about delete:
    -Pound (users of this move can usea Tackle)
    -Rage...(almost useless)
    -Whirlwind is a good option to delete...
    -Slam...good power but low accuracy...

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Missing out Rage would be far too noticeable I think (it is the first useful physical move Totodile learns). Especially once I make it work like Generation V+ (where it raises the Attack stat again like it used to in 1gen, minus the 1gen lock-in).

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    What about delete:
    -Pound (users of this move can usea Tackle)
    -Rage...(almost useless)
    -Whirlwind is a good option to delete...
    -Slam...good power but low accuracy...

Pound, that's a good one. As of Sun/Moon it's exactly the same as Tackle. The only Pokémon I would miss having Pound on is Mew, and that's just because Mew is memorable, not Pound. Slam is also expendable... but I don't want to have too few plain old damage-dealing Normal attacks. (I'm keeping Rage, its effect is useful early in the game if you can survive a few hits and power up.)

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Pokémon Crystal already records basic caught data. I've added a display for the type of Poké Ball. (Also fixed the caught level so it works above level 63.) There are 18 kinds of Ball, including the Premier Balls you get with every purchase of 10 others.

uchihamadada

Years
    Pokémon Crystal already records basic caught data. I've added a display for the type of Poké Ball. (Also fixed the caught level so it works above level 63.) There are 18 kinds of Ball, including the Premier Balls you get with every purchase of 10 others.

I love Premier balls!!
    Actually at the beggining of this hack I bought 10 poke balls...but it was a waste of money haha {XD}
    What about forget "Pressure", and replace it for the hidden abilities? Just because most of pkms with this Ability are Legendaries
    -Rock head for Aerodactyl
    -Snow Cloak default dor Articuno
    -Lightningrod default for Zapdos
    -Flame body for Moltres
    -Unnerve for Mewtwo
    -Volt absorb for Raikou
    -Flash fire...or Jutified (Like Arcanine) for Entei ;)
    -Water absorb for Suicune
    -Multiscale for Lugia
    -Regenerator for Ho-oh

By the way you should delete "Slam" in essence it's the same case that Pound and Tackle...I mean, alredy exist attacks like Take down or Body Slam

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Alternate and hidden abilities exist. :) FIQ is responsible for the vast majority of ability coding so far. 96 of 126 abilities are done, although there are still bugs to iron out and testing to do. That, and some new maps and event scripts (which are still being designed+written), are the major goals before 3.0 can be released.

uchihamadada

Years
    Alternate and hidden abilities exist. :) FIQ is responsible for the vast majority of ability coding so far. 96 of 126 abilities are done, although there are still bugs to iron out and testing to do. That, and some new maps and event scripts (which are still being designed+written), are the major goals before 3.0 can be released.

Sounds GREAT!! New events, maps, hidden abilities!! :)
    Now I wonder if that "Faraway island's Lawrence event" that I mentioned you will materializes ¿? :)

3.0 will be a Blast!! {:3}

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Does anyone know how later generations (in particular: V and beyond) deal with double-whiteout in normal battles?
    Currently I'm thinking of fully preventing double-whiteout from happen by not allowing a double-KO if both Trainers (or you + wild mon) would white out as a result, to preserve the correct victory condition. However, this results in a few quirks:
    * No Explosion damage if both have 1 mon left and it would kill
    * No recoil in the same case
    * Etc.

How does gen V+ deal with this? Does it simply always count as a loss there in ordinary battles, only giving proper victory conditions in linking and battle subway/PWT? Or does it heal your party after the battle in some way if it is a victory for the player? I know that, in IV and before, it simply always count as a NPC/wild victory (except for I where this glitches the game) regardless of who fainted first, evne in battle facilities.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Does anyone know how later generations (in particular: V and beyond) deal with double-whiteout in normal battles?
    Currently I'm thinking of fully preventing double-whiteout from happen by not allowing a double-KO if both Trainers (or you + wild mon) would white out as a result, to preserve the correct victory condition. However, this results in a few quirks:
    * No Explosion damage if both have 1 mon left and it would kill
    * No recoil in the same case
    * Etc.

How does gen V+ deal with this? Does it simply always count as a loss there in ordinary battles, only giving proper victory conditions in linking and battle subway/PWT? Or does it heal your party after the battle in some way if it is a victory for the player? I know that, in IV and before, it simply always count as a NPC/wild victory (except for I where this glitches the game) regardless of who fainted first, evne in battle facilities.

I think it still counts as a loss. How about having you white out and appear in the Pokémon Center, but without losing prize money?

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    I think it still counts as a loss. How about having you white out and appear in the Pokémon Center, but without losing prize money?

I suppose that could work. In that case, I'll just prevent double-defeat in link and facility battles, to properly determine the victor there easily, and call normal in-game battles a draw whenever that happens (whether the player would have won or lost in "real" battles) for consistency. And such draws would effectively count as losses story-wise to avoid the need to create special case for whenever this happen.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017

I have two question:

1) Will you implement abilities in 3.0? I think I'm understanding correctly.
    2) (and related to the quote) Can you fix the Master Ball color? It always bothered me that the Master Ball is primarily purple, but in GSC appears green. It's a really minor thing but it activates my OCD...

Edit: never mind, I was in the tablet so I couldn't see the image correctly. The Poké balls look great. Congrats...

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Shouldn't the Ultra Ball be a bit more purple (but a darker shade than the Master Ball)? These balls look great otherwise. Do they also look like that in battle?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I have two question:

1) Will you implement abilities in 3.0? I think I'm understanding correctly.
    2) (and related to the quote) Can you fix the Master Ball color? It always bothered me that the Master Ball is primarily purple, but in GSC appears green. It's a really minor thing but it activates my OCD...

Edit: never mind, I was in the tablet so I couldn't see the image correctly. The Poké balls look great. Congrats...

Yes, abilities will be in 3.0.

Shouldn't the Ultra Ball be a bit more purple (but a darker shade than the Master Ball)? These balls look great otherwise. Do they also look like that in battle?

The Ultra Ball now uses the same slightly-blue-black as the Moon Ball. I picked the colors from their Gen IV sprites.

I've added the Nest, Net, and Luxury Balls. They're not quite the same as the Level, Lure, and Friend Balls, and with different appearances too, they're worth having.

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    Can you give me a hint at how to find Celebi? I have caught all the other 252 but I've no idea where Celebi is...

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I know that not everyone who plays a Gen 2 hack wants Gen 3+ features. Natures and abilities can now be disabled in the Option menu. (Turns out to be easier than making a separate patch like the Faithful one.)

(I went ahead and added the clock and units options to fill space. Got the idea from TPP.)

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    I am personally not a fan of being able to enable/disable Natures and Abilities in-game. I feel like a better idea would be to make it a compile time option myself. The reason is that it forces you to deal with stat recalculation (Natures) even outside the storage system which can be awkward, and the fact that it can make Link battles desync (I'll look into the link system and see if I can add a check for these options and in that case refuse linking, but still).

I do like the addition of the other options though.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I am personally not a fan of being able to enable/disable Natures and Abilities in-game. I feel like a better idea would be to make it a compile time option myself. The reason is that it forces you to deal with stat recalculation (Natures) even outside the storage system which can be awkward, and the fact that it can make Link battles desync (I'll look into the link system and see if I can add a check for these options and in that case refuse linking, but still).

I do like the addition of the other options though.

I expect players to set those options at the beginning of the game and forget about them. So stat recalculation isn't a problem; if they want to turn natures off mid-game, they can do the box trick to refresh stats.

As for link battles, it's probably simpler to force the settings on for them.

Back