• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Tendoman77

Formerly known as "Da Man"
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2024
    Acrobatics would also be interesting.

I'm going to add 5 more TMs, 66 to 70. Flash can be one, and maybe Rock Smash if it's not going to get people stuck. (Do any caves require it?) Sun/Moon adds Leech Life, so that's one. And whatever replaces Slam.

Think the only smashable rocks in the whole of Gen 2 are those west of Olivine and north of Cianwood, could be wrong.

A lot of Johto's caves mainly require Surf to get to the other areas.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Think the only smashable rocks in the whole of Gen 2 are those west of Olivine and north of Cianwood, could be wrong.

A lot of Johto's caves mainly require Surf to get to the other areas.

This is the major reason I considered the idea of making rocks being smashed permanently questionable :p

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    This is the major reason I considered the idea of making rocks being smashed permanently questionable :p

Yeah, that's abandoned now that I added items to the rocks. Cut trees might be permanent, though. I'll check my original caves to see if Rock Smash is needed there.

I'll try the index FF fix later.

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
    Years
    Yeah, that's abandoned now that I added items to the rocks. Cut trees might be permanent, though. I'll check my original caves to see if Rock Smash is needed there

Maybe, as that Rocks, Cut trees should often give you an ítem (like headbutt) like Silver or Gold leaves...another item but i don't know which one would be a good option ~_~

Years
    If you're going to turn moves into 2 bytes, why waste your time messing with the FF slot? You're going to have more move ids than you'll ever need anyway.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    If you're going to turn moves into 2 bytes, why waste your time messing with the FF slot? You're going to have more move ids than you'll ever need anyway.

The FF slot is unused (otherwise), and changing to 2 byte IDs is a nontrivial change that requires messing with the struct again since PP data would need to be moved to an extended party struct (and thus Rangi doesn't want to mess with it for 3.0). So, assuming removing the FF special case is trivial, it'd be a worthwhile change. If it's not an easy change, then it's a different matter of course.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Here's the new early-game options menu:

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Problem: the options instantly switch back as soon as you press left/right. No idea why, I basically copied this from the options menu code.

Edit: Aargh. It was a name collision between the EarlyGameOptions routine and the EarlyGameOptions WRAM variable. Don't know why the assembler allows such a thing.

Last edited:

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    ^ What about also making setting time be part of that window?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    ^ What about also making setting time be part of that window?

There's the conceit of Prof. Oak waking up and talking to you, so he asks for the time and your gender. The other options are technical things that only work as an abstract menu.

Also, you're right about the move index FF thing. I've added Giga Impact, and will probably replace Slam and Vital Throw with Acrobatics and Volt Switch. (I kind of prefer Submission, with its recoil damage and buffed power, to Close Combat, with its lowering two stats. No real rationale.)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2022
    if you gives dragon type to aerodactyl have to get him access to dragon dance and outrage via level

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Hm, I wonder, perhaps Sneasel/Weavile should get Snow Warning as HA instead of Pickpocket? Considering all the other weather abilities have a single weather starter family (Drought: Ninetales, Drizzle: Politoed, Sand Stream: Tyranitar), and Pickpocket is nearly useless.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Hm, I wonder, perhaps Sneasel/Weavile should get Snow Warning as HA instead of Pickpocket? Considering all the other weather abilities have a single weather starter family (Drought: Ninetales, Drizzle: Politoed, Sand Stream: Tyranitar), and Pickpocket is nearly useless.

Charizard also gets Drought as a hidden ability. I don't know whether to replace Drought or Solar Power with Levitate (not Blaze, that's the standard Fire starter ability).

And yes, that's a good idea to add Snow Warning. Which Ice-type would benefit from it most, though? Glaceon seems biologically more appropriate for summoning hail (Sneasel is just a weasel that's comfortable in the cold; Glaceon "can freeze the atmosphere around it to make a diamond-dust flurry"). And it uses two slots for Snow Cloak, so wouldn't lose anything.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Charizard also gets Drought as a hidden ability. I don't know whether to replace Drought or Solar Power with Levitate (not Blaze, that's the standard Fire starter ability).

And yes, that's a good idea to add Snow Warning. Which Ice-type would benefit from it most, though? Glaceon seems biologically more appropriate for summoning hail (Sneasel is just a weasel that's comfortable in the cold; Glaceon "can freeze the atmosphere around it to make a diamond-dust flurry"). And it uses two slots for Snow Cloak, so wouldn't lose anything.

Nor would Sneasel, just saying.

EDIT: Oh, apparently he would -- I was thinking Weavile's ability set (Pressure/Pressure/Pickpocket). Glaceon makes sense then I guess. I did consider Glaceon as well but didn't like it being on the Eevee family without any other eeveelution having one of these abilities.

I'd be happy to replace Charizard's Drought with Levitate myself, and if Snow Warning were to be added, I'd definitely do it (to retain 1-family-per-ability). Also, something I have considered to address but haven't bothered yet (so feel free to yourself), but Solar Power should be its HA to be consistent with pre-evolutions.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    There are now three battle styles: Set, Switch, and Predict. Set does not warn you that a trainer is about to switch Pokémon. Switch does, but hides the name. Predict tells you what they're switching to. The default style is Set.

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

I'd be happy to replace Charizard's Drought with Levitate myself, and if Snow Warning were to be added, I'd definitely do it (to retain 1-family-per-ability). Also, something I have considered to address but haven't bothered yet (so feel free to yourself), but Solar Power should be its HA to be consistent with pre-evolutions.

Done.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Should the AI also be allowed to switch out like players can on faint? Or do you feel battle style to be explicitly a difficulty thing?

Also, funny you should be careful about the Struggle thing which (probably) doesn't conflict with the stuff I'm working on, followed by messing with something that *will* (since I'm rewriting the internal battle turn system, including how the game handles switches -- including faint switches). :P

Don't worry, I'll manage, should be an easy thing for me to merge when it comes to it.

EDIT: Since you're messing with options anyway, maybe change Battle Scene to Battle Animations

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Should the AI also be allowed to switch out like players can on faint? Or do you feel battle style to be explicitly a difficulty thing?

Also, funny you should be careful about the Struggle thing which (probably) doesn't conflict with the stuff I'm working on, followed by messing with something that *will*. :P

Don't worry, I'll manage.

No, I think of Set as the "correct" way to play, with Switch and predict as advantages for the player.

All I did was replace the move at index A5, Struggle, with Giga Impact, and move Struggle to index FF. In terms of code changes, the only battle engine change was removing that four-line check you mentioned.

Edit: Looks like it's called "battle effects" now.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    No, I think of Set as the "correct" way to play, with Switch and predict as advantages for the player.

All I did was replace the move at index A5, Struggle, with Giga Impact, and move Struggle to index FF. In terms of code changes, the only battle engine change was removing that four-line check you mentioned.

Edit: Looks like it's called "battle effects" now.

I meant changing how battle style worked. I did a small change to OfferSwitch as part of the rewrite.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I meant changing how battle style worked. I did a small change to OfferSwitch as part of the rewrite.

Do you mean, if the AI decides to switch out a non-fainted Pokémon, and the player has the Switch or Predict battle style, then give them the option to switch too? The AI rarely switches anyway, but if you want to implement that, go ahead. Although it might create the possibility of infinite switch loops—if, say, the AI were smart enough to switch out to avoid weaknesses, and the player keeps choosing to switch along with the AI.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Do you mean, if the AI decides to switch out a non-fainted Pokémon, and the player has the Switch or Predict battle style, then give them the option to switch too? The AI rarely switches anyway, but if you want to implement that, go ahead. Although it might create the possibility of infinite switch loops—if, say, the AI were smart enough to switch out to avoid weaknesses, and the player keeps choosing to switch along with the AI.

No, I was just pointing out that your change to how battle style worked means I'll get a conflict. But it's not really an issue because the merge should be trivial. :p

EDIT: and *no*, I'd consider that completely unfair. Also, I want to rewrite the AI to improve it, but haven't gotten to it yet. I guess I wont get to it before 3.0 is done, but yeah.

I'm not 100% sure on how exactly the game handles battle style right now, but after the rewrite, the offer will only show up if the enemy is switching as a result of a faint that itself wasn't the result from another switch from faint (Spikes loops), and not on double-KOs either.

Here's the relevant logic: https://sprunge.us/RWFQ

Last edited:
    Back