• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2021
    Rangi,

Can you add close combat as well? That move is a game changer for fighting types. Maybe add Riolu and Lucario? That'd be a neat easter egg to implement.

sonic65101

Johto Champion
    Years
    One thing I think would be cool to see is a Music Player, similar to the one that's in Twitch Plays Pok?mon Crystal Anniversary Edition.

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
    Years
    I just went ahead and replaced Vital Throw with Aura Sphere. I know I said earlier that too few Pok?mon learn it, but only Machop/choke/champ and Pinsir learned Vital Throw; they're both powerful never-miss Fighting attacks, except Aura Sphere is a rare Special one, and I want Mewtwo and Mew to have that option instead of Focus Blast. Anyway, I've given it to a few Pok?mon besides them and Togekiss.

Long life to RANGI!! I mean, I love that attack!! An Event Raikou also have Aura Sphere, also Wheater ball...talking about weather...maybe for route or place with Rain you can adapt the effect of the "movement" of the tres that we can see in the Forest when Celebi Event is activated

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2021
    Will pokemon with the ability synchronize sync their nature to wild pokemon encounters? That would be helpful in getting the nature you want and make the game feel more complete. This hack is going to be unreal!

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Question: if you wandered into a building like Pok?mon Tower, with spooky trainers and wild unidentifiable Ghosts, would you keep exploring?

It looks good :P, is that Marill poster new too?

I hope that you plan to add the final pok?mon music from B/W :D

Yes, it is! And I hope so too.

Rangi,

Can you add close combat as well? That move is a game changer for fighting types. Maybe add Riolu and Lucario? That'd be a neat easter egg to implement.

I'd have to replace yet another move to make room for Close Combat. I suppose Submission could go, but I kind of like it now that it's buffed to Double-Edge's power.

Definitely not adding Lucario. It's not a native Pok?mon and would be replacing something else. (If I ever get 2-byte IDs implemented, then of course that won't be a problem.)

One thing I think would be cool to see is a Music Player, similar to the one that's in Twitch Plays Pok?mon Crystal Anniversary Edition.

TPP:AC and Crystal Complete both have separate implementations of music players. They are a nice feature, but I'd rather not just take such a large amount of code. I am going to add more ways to listen to music, like a Variety Channel on the radio.

Long life to RANGI!! I mean, I love that attack!! An Event Raikou also have Aura Sphere, also Wheater ball...talking about weather...maybe for route or place with Rain you can adapt the effect of the "movement" of the tres that we can see in the Forest when Celebi Event is activated

Aura Sphere Raikou, done. :) And moving trees during a storm is a good idea... Gah, now I'm seriously considering adding a rainy location just for the aesthetic factor, and who knows how long that would take.

I could probably put this off until 3.0.1 without breaking saves. So. What's a good rainy spot? Route 33 rains in HGSS, but I don't think I could make it rain there without also raining in the connected Azalea Town. Which I guess is acceptable, as long as it doesn't rain all the time; maybe on alternate days. (Since the tileset changes during weather, the weather could only change when you use a door, not automatically like day/night.) Oh, and Lake of Rage + Route 43 also rains in HGSS, and kind of has the same "wild/rugged" feeling as Hoenn's Route 119.

Puddles would be tricky. I can't have the splash effect from Faraway Island and the rustling grass effect. And even if I disabled the rustling grass, there are tree sprites on the map, so the splashes would be green not blue. And it's simply impossible (AFAIK) to have raindrops going across the screen, which is what really makes it seem like a storm and not just a windy night. I'll think about it.

Will pokemon with the ability synchronize sync their nature to wild pokemon encounters? That would be helpful in getting the nature you want and make the game feel more complete. This hack is going to be unreal!

Yes they will. :)

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    Would I explore an area like Pokemon Tower? Well, probably. At least in part to grind on trainers. I like side areas in games in general. Though if I were to do that kind of area, I'd either have an easy way out after you get to the big thing deep in it, or have something to swap it to pokemon that are fightable. Kind of like Pokemon Tower had.

Without any trainers or any reward I probably wouldn't, though.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2021
    Thanks for the quick response!

Curious, for fully evolved pokemon with hidden abilities, how can you be sure you'll receive the ability you want?

For example, dratini and dragonair don't have multiscale but dragonite does. I dont want to train a dratini/dragonair to level 55 for it to not get multiscale. Is the ability assigned based on probability when the pokemon evolves, or is it assigned as soon as you capture the first pokemon in the chain (dratini)? Hopefully it's the former, but if the latter is there a way to tell if said dratini will eventually evolve into a dragonite with multiscale?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Thanks for the quick response!

Curious, for fully evolved pokemon with hidden abilities, how can you be sure you'll receive the ability you want?

For example, dratini and dragonair don't have multiscale but dragonite does. I dont want to train a dratini/dragonair to level 55 for it to not get multiscale. Is the ability assigned based on probability when the pokemon evolves, or is it assigned as soon as you capture the first pokemon in the chain (dratini)? Hopefully it's the former, but if the latter is there a way to tell if said dratini will eventually evolve into a dragonite with multiscale?

Abilities are assigned at capture, with hidden ones being more rare. If Dratini has its hidden ability Marvel Scale, Dragonite will have its hidden ability Multiscale. But if Dratini has Shed Skin, you can't tell whether that's ability #1 or #2. Anyway, you'll be able to buy Ability Capsules for BP in Battle Tower (although they can't get the hidden ability).

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Abilities are assigned at capture, with hidden ones being more rare. If Dratini has its hidden ability Marvel Scale, Dragonite will have its hidden ability Multiscale. But if Dratini has Shed Skin, you can't tell whether that's ability #1 or #2. Anyway, you'll be able to buy Ability Capsules for BP in Battle Tower (although they can't get the hidden ability).

If you are going to implement Hyper Training, I'd personally suggest the ability to also toggle HA in these places. This is particurly relevant with legendary Pok?mon which there is only one single one of.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    People have been playing Polished Crystal 2.2.0 for months now, and a few have started playthroughs on YouTube. Which is great, but I keep noticing all the little things that have improved since then. Version 3.0.0 still isn't ready?there's content to add and bugs to fix?but until then, here's the first 15 minutes with the latest updates.

Edit: The video is no longer private. >_>

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2021
    If you are going to implement Hyper Training, I'd personally suggest the ability to also toggle HA in these places. This is particurly relevant with legendary Pok?mon which there is only one single one of.

Wait so you mean implementing an option where the player will be able to choose the Hidden Ability or not? For example hitting a switch before a legendary battle and upon capture they'll have the hidden ability? That'd be amazing. Otherwise it'd take forever to get the ideal nature and ability combo for lugia or ho-oh. It's incredibly difficult to catch them straight up

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2021
    People have been playing Polished Crystal 2.2.0 for months now, and a few have started playthroughs on YouTube. Which is great, but I keep noticing all the little things that have improved since then. Version 3.0.0 still isn't ready?there's content to add and bugs to fix?but until then, here's the first 15 minutes with the latest updates.

Link isn't working homie

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
    Years
    What's a good rainy spot? Route 33 rains in HGSS, but I don't think I could make it rain there without also raining in the connected Azalea Town. Which I guess is acceptable, as long as it doesn't rain all the time; maybe on alternate days. (Since the tileset changes during weather, the weather could only change when you use a door, not automatically like day/night.) Oh, and Lake of Rage + Route 43 also rains in HGSS, and kind of has the same "wild/rugged" feeling as Hoenn's Route 119.

Puddles would be tricky. I can't have the splash effect from Faraway Island and the rustling grass effect. And even if I disabled the rustling grass, there are tree sprites on the map, so the splashes would be green not blue. And it's simply impossible (AFAIK) to have raindrops going across the screen, which is what really makes it seem like a storm and not just a windy night. I'll think about it.

Maybe a good place for Rain it's arround Whirl islands (route 40 and 4), as you said Lake of Rage and route 43...also route 45, Ilex Forest, route 33 and route 29. In Kanto maybe routes 17 and 18...also routes 12, 13,14 and 15...Navel rock would look awesome with rain too...

About Wind effect...as you said Fararay island is a good place...also Green forest. By the way, just for curiosity, will you add that new event idea that I mentioned you before for Faraway Island? (about to find Lawrence there).

Maybe the Rain or Wind can be daily...randomly during the week or perhaps during specific intervals of time during the day or night

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2018
    :( I don't see where I'm supposed to go after the 2nd elite four battle

No smooth level curve to 100?

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2018
    Okay thanks :) I was wondering if there were extra battles elsewhere (not counting the fighting dojo)

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    Looking forward to the next update! But is there a way to keep the old HP and EXP bar when battling instead of the style shown in the 3.0.0 preview?

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2022
    I think once the HP bar is re-aligned with the exp bar it will be fine, but I do think there is something to the weighting that the black connector provides. I agree that it doesn't look quite as good, but without it, I couldn't help but associate the player's battle info with the opponent.

Perhaps a more narrow connector is a good balance?

Back