• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2017
    It looks like almost everything I could want from a hack, but I have one question/request. Would it be possible to add in a way to change the starters/a randomizer? I always change my starter in emulated games and GS codes don't usually work on hacks for obvious reasons.

Also, I do enjoy the original Gen 2 HP/XP bar, but if you intend on sticking with your new design it'll be fine once the HP/XP bar match again.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I think once the HP bar is re-aligned with the exp bar it will be fine

Also, I do enjoy the original Gen 2 HP/XP bar, but if you intend on sticking with your new design it'll be fine once the HP/XP bar match again.

So, I have a few options for fixing the bar alignment:

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

#1 aligns the left ends of the HP and Exp bars, but it looks like we all prefer aligning the right ones. #2 might have too much whitespace on the player's right side, #4 might have too little on the enemy's left, and #3 has inconsistent alignment of the Pokémon's names. #5 and #6 have GSC-style HP+Exp connectors, which have no useful meaning but kind of balance the whitespace.

I think once the HP bar is re-aligned with the exp bar it will be fine, but I do think there is something to the weighting that the black connector provides. I agree that it doesn't look quite as good, but without it, I couldn't help but associate the player's battle info with the opponent.

Perhaps a more narrow connector is a good balance?

Maybe… I removed the connector because it's pointless decoration: there's no relationship between HP and Exp that needs to be conveyed by connecting them. And this way the HP bars for the player, the enemy, and the party+status screens look consistent.

Looking forward to the next update! But is there a way to keep the old HP and EXP bar when battling instead of the style shown in the 3.0.0 preview?

No, adding an option for different HP/Exp bars would be too much trouble for one particular aesthetic change (do I also add options for decapitalization, Pack→Bag, etc, etc?).

It looks like almost everything I could want from a hack, but I have one question/request. Would it be possible to add in a way to change the starters/a randomizer? I always change my starter in emulated games and GS codes don't usually work on hacks for obvious reasons.

So many internal changes have been made—not just moving data in memory, but changing data structures, especially in 3.0—that any existing GSC randomizer won't work. In theory someone could make one. You might even be able to do it by editing the source code and recompiling. I tried just shuffling the list of Pokémon constans, but that wasn't enough, it just caused a crash in battle. Making a randomizer is not my priority, but if someone else does I can add it to the documentation.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2018
    Rangi, I think 1 looks the most professional to be honest. 5 and 6 with the connectors look out of place and the other alignments look sloppy, imo.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2017
    I much prefer #6. Looks great.

So is it not possible to not be able to change the available starter pokemon? Otherwise, I'll look into editing Route 29 myself so I can catch what I want and box my starter.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I much prefer #6. Looks great.

So is it not possible to not be able to change the available starter pokemon? If not that's fine, but it'd be cool if you could point me to what to change, and I'll look into editing Route 29 myself so I can catch what I want and box my starter.

Edit the "givepoke" commands in maps/ElmsLab.asm to change your starter, the data/wild/ files to change wild encounters, and trainers/trainers.asm to change trainers' rosters.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2017
    Edit the "givepoke" commands in maps/ElmsLab.asm to change your starter, the data/wild/ files to change wild encounters, and trainers/trainers.asm to change trainers' rosters.

Right, sorry to bother you more, but on trying to use 'make faithful' it's giving me

C:\Users\Zaine\Desktop\New Folder\usr\local\bin\rgblink.exe: Unknown symbol 'STUDRY'
    make: *** [Makefile:55: polishedcrystal-faithful-2.2.0.gbc] Error 1.

Do you know how what's up with this?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Right, sorry to bother you more, but on trying to use 'make faithful' it's giving me

C:\Users\Zaine\Desktop\New Folder\usr\local\bin\rgblink.exe: Unknown symbol 'STUDRY'
    make: *** [Makefile:55: polishedcrystal-faithful-2.2.0.gbc] Error 1.

Do you know how what's up with this?

That would be a typo I missed because I never tried the Faithful version. Fixed now, thanks. But don't compile the latest code unless you want to beta-test its half-finished features. Here's the code for 2.2.0.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2017
    That would be a typo I missed because I never tried the Faithful version. Fixed now, thanks. But don't compile the latest code unless you want to beta-test its half-finished features. Here's the code for 2.2.0.

Similar error, except it's

Unknown Symbol 'CinnabarVolcanoB2F_MapEventHeader'

Sheesh, is this what all coding is like? I've got some new respect for you hackers now.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Similar error, except it's

Unknown Symbol 'CinnabarVolcanoB2F_MapEventHeader'

Sheesh, is this what all coding is like? I've got some new respect for you hackers now.

You're definitely using the code from pokecrystal-dcd1f95c947b99bd4e60dffffcacf09a252c2497.zip? Via the "Clone or Download" button? Because when I download that exact code and run "make faithful", it works.

(If you think that's bad, try one of the bugs that the compiler doesn't tell you about. :P)

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2017
    You're definitely using the code from (snip)? Via the "Clone or Download" button? Because when I download that exact code and run "make faithful", it works.

(If you think that's bad, try one of the bugs that the compiler doesn't tell you about. :P)

I was 100% certain I used the link you provided for 2.2.0, but upon using that link and redoing the edit to ElmsLab.ams it built this time. Rushed through to Elms Lab and picked up the Vulpix I edited over Cyndaquil and got through the battle with Lyra no problems. Thanks for the support!

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2021
    Rangi,

Trying to compile the beta test for 3.0, but getting this error:

In file included from src/gfx/gb.c:20:
    include/gfx/main.h:20:10: fatal error: 'png.h' file not found
    #include <png.h>

Can you assist?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Rangi,

Trying to compile the beta test for 3.0, but getting this error:

In file included from src/gfx/gb.c:20:
    include/gfx/main.h:20:10: fatal error: 'png.h' file not found
    #include <png.h>

Can you assist?

You must have the wrong code. There is no src/gfx/gb.c, there's no src directory at all.

Follow the instructions in INSTALL.md:

• Install Cygwin with the make, git, python, and gettext packages.
    • Download rgbds and put it in your usr/local/bin/ directory.
    • Run these commands:
      Code:
      git clone --recursive https://github.com/roukaour/pokecrystal
      cd pokecrystal
      make

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2020
    Hey i got a shiny dizzy punch elekid from the day care man i was wondering if it was intentional ? how would i go about implementing events like this as well as to raise the wild shiny chance?

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2021
    Rangi,

Thanks for the update. I was working on a Mac but switched over to Windows and got it to work. That being said, I am playing through the game and the type matchup isn't working.

For example, I used gust on a bellsprout and it hits it for neutral damage. I also used confusion on a weedle and it hit for neutral damage. I took a look at the type_matchup file and everything checks out. Does this have anything to do with the compiler?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Any graphical updates for this? Even just patching over the rom?

Yes, there have been some graphical updates, and 2.0 will have some more.

Hey i got a shiny dizzy punch elekid from the day care man i was wondering if it was intentional ? how would i go about implementing events like this as well as to raise the wild shiny chance?

Yes, all the Odd Egg Pokémon are shiny. I edited engine/color.asm:CheckShininess to change which DVs result in a shiny Pokémon.

Rangi,

Thanks for the update. I was working on a Mac but switched over to Windows and got it to work. That being said, I am playing through the game and the type matchup isn't working.

For example, I used gust on a bellsprout and it hits it for neutral damage. I also used confusion on a weedle and it hit for neutral damage. I took a look at the type_matchup file and everything checks out. Does this have anything to do with the compiler?

Are you compiling the latest code yourself? It's still being developed, so it has bugs. The 2.2.0 patch doesn't have this issue.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2021
    Yes, there have been some graphical updates, and 2.0 will have some more.

Yes, all the Odd Egg Pokémon are shiny. I edited engine/color.asm:CheckShininess to change which DVs result in a shiny Pokémon.

Are you compiling the latest code yourself? It's still being developed, so it has bugs. The 2.2.0 patch doesn't have this issue.

Yes I am. I figured that may be the case but wanted to check. In fact, upon playing further the type effectiveness changed. When I used gust on a different bellsprout I got a "not very effective" response, when initially I got a "neutral" response.

Years
    Hi Rangi, will you add the evolution moves from Sun/Moon?
    Also, do you think this idea I posted a while ago is possible?
    Another idea: You could make the rival's pokemon in the battle at Indigo Plateau gain 10 levels after beating the Elite four 10 times, 10 more after beating them 20 times, and so on, like in Pokémon Platinum. And maybe make them harder by making their pokémon have competitive movesets, abilities, natures and items.
    Edit: Now that I think about it, the same could happen with every other rematch available post-game.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2018
    Why wouldn't we just have post game battle facilities? Who wants to beat the same team 20 times at a higher level? :/ variety is the spice of life

Years
    Why wouldn't we just have post game battle facilities? Who wants to beat the same team 20 times at a higher level? :/ variety is the spice of life
    Well I didn't have that idea thinking about a replacement for the battle facilities, but as a way to get more experience post-game.

Back