• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2021
    Hi Rangi,
    I'm enjoying your hack very much at the moment, the first Pokemon game I owned was Gold and I always welcome a nostalgia trip. I don't usually do this but since you specifically asked for feedback I made a list of my thoughts as I played. (Disclaimer: I've played Gold and Silver many times but only ever up to Ecruteak on Crystal, so I might attribute a change to you that is actually vanilla).

Positives:
    • Oak's aides: Loved them in red, love them now. Have to wonder how much they get paid to chase me around.
    • Wonder trade. Trainer ID is a good improvement over Christmas too.
    • Bill's grandad in Goldenrod. No more Weepinbell/Staryu at the elite four!
    • Trainers with phones don't just say "I'll call you if anything comes up" when spoken to. It's a small thing but makes more sense than a kid who won't talk to you in person but won't shut up about his Rattata as soon as you're out of sight. Included within this is that you have good attention to detail, like how Cowgirls use Miltank and Tauros. Stuff like that seems obvious but many hacks lack it.
    • Exp share not given too early. I like this because I think it's a bit too strong early on but I can't resist the temptation if I'm given it. Also I much prefer being able to buy multiple than the gen VI mechanic, so thanks for that.
    • High level Kanto pokemon! This changes the pace of Kanto so much, it really does feel like a 2 region game, rather than 1.5.

Possible changes:
    • I started with Totodile and when I first fought my rival his lv.6 Chikorita already knew razor leaf and totally wasted me. Any chance it could learn that move at lv.7 instead?
    • The Kakuna and Metapod in Ilex forest can use String Shot and Tackle as well as Harden. If this is intentional then you might want to change their pokedex entries, which make it pretty clear that they can't do anything but sit still and get harder.
    • Early on (pre-Goldenrod) a ton of trainers have pokemon that use Mud-slap. It's a strong move early game and it makes sense that they would use it but it can get frustrating.
    • I've always wanted to be able to see my Kanto gym badges as well as my Johto ones on my trainer card, it helps to keep track how many gyms are left and looks cool. Would this be possible? (If this is already possible please don't tell me, I would rather not know than regret so many years of stupidity).
    • I saw that you were planning to include eviolite, would you consider giving it the everstone effect when held? I know it doesn't usually have it but I'd rather that than spam B on every level up. Also, while I'm here, could you tell me where to find it?? I'm trying to make Belly Drum Munchlax work but at the moment he can't take hits for toffee.
    • Give Oak's aides a unique sprite? I've been disappointed by so many regular nerds.
    • Selfish request: Any possibility of including Assault Vest? I know item space is tight but this is one that I personally would use a ton.
    • Even more selfish request: Please please please let me go east from Ecruteak before I go west! I think that being given a choice - even if it is a foolish one with the current gym leader level buffs - makes the game feel much more open. I'm not suggesting you change gym leader levels, just make it possible to play Pryce-Jasmine-Chuck.

Negatives:
    • Only one: a couple of the additional pokemon sprites are sub-par. I have a Togekiss in my party and it puts in great work but I hate looking at it. There are many people (including myself) who enjoy devamping, perhaps you could run a small competition and pick the best from that? (Note: not all of them though, my Munchlax looks godly).

Overall I think that you have managed the difficulty curve extremely well. I have done barely any grinding, only lost one battle post-rival (Agitha in Lavender Town with the demon Crobat), but still had several close shaves (Karen's SD Weavile almost pulled off a 6-0 sweep), and the wild pokemon are consistently giving decent exp.

Any bugs that I found have already been mentioned by other people. I'm only 10 badges through right now, I was going to save this post til after I finished but I had to get in that I would love to see Guitarist (male) Evan in the battle tower.

Looking to the future, I would be keen for Abilities, less so for natures. Have you ever played the Gold hack XY: Naturia? That dude has abilities, some work better than others but all things considered it's pretty impressive.

I'll post again if anything else comes up. Keep up the great work!

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Can you add, say, a battle house for grinding purposes, or something similar?

I'll think about some way to gain experience from the Battle Tower pre–Elite 4. In Kanto, 2.0 will have higher levels for trainers and wild Pokémon, and there will be plenty of boss trainer rematches for grinding to beat Red.

I don't usually do this but since you specifically asked for feedback I made a list of my thoughts as I played.

Thanks a lot!

Trainers with phones don't just say "I'll call you if anything comes up" when spoken to.

This is one thing vanilla Crystal already added.

High level Kanto pokemon!

They'll be somewhat higher in 2.0. I haven't tuned the wild Pokémon and random trainers yet, but Lance's ace is at level 59, the Kanto Gym Leaders progress from 60 to 70, and then you can grind on rematches at level 75 until you can rematch the Elite 4 and Lance up to level 80, and Red with his level 90 Pikachu.

I started with Totodile and when I first fought my rival his lv.6 Chikorita already knew razor leaf and totally wasted me. Any chance it could learn that move at lv.7 instead?

I noticed that issue and just lowered his starter back to level 5. He still has a Berry and a second Pokémon, so he's not too easy now.

The Kakuna and Metapod in Ilex forest can use String Shot and Tackle as well as Harden. If this is intentional then you might want to change their pokedex entries, which make it pretty clear that they can't do anything but sit still and get harder.

Yes, since you can already evolve Caterpie/Weedle to get Metapod/Kakuna with decent moves, I decided to make wild and NPC-trained ones equally good. The Pokédex entries are written by naïve children. :P

Early on (pre-Goldenrod) a ton of trainers have pokemon that use Mud-slap. It's a strong move early game and it makes sense that they would use it but it can get frustrating.

Pidgey and Geodude both have it, but I've played through the early game multiple times and haven't found it to be a problem. It's in the canon OR/AS movesets, anyway.

I've always wanted to be able to see my Kanto gym badges as well as my Johto ones on my trainer card, it helps to keep track how many gyms are left and looks cool. Would this be possible? (If this is already possible please don't tell me, I would rather not know than regret so many years of stupidity).

This might not make it into 2.0, but it'll be in 2.0.1.

I saw that you were planning to include eviolite, would you consider giving it the everstone effect when held? I know it doesn't usually have it but I'd rather that than spam B on every level up. Also, while I'm here, could you tell me where to find it?? I'm trying to make Belly Drum Munchlax work but at the moment he can't take hits for toffee.

Interesting idea! I decided against it because people will probably use Eviolite as a temporary boost until they can evolve, and I don't want them to miss an evolution by accident.

After Bill gives you Eevee, the Goldenrod Dept. Store starts selling Eon Mail, which you can trade to a woman in the Pokécom Center for one.

Give Oak's aides a unique sprite? I've been disappointed by so many regular nerds.

Their sprite is only also used by uncommon Scientists. Do you mean the shared sprite of Super Nerds and Pokémaniacs? Because in 2.0 they'll be distinguished by color.

Any possibility of including Assault Vest? I know item space is tight but this is one that I personally would use a ton.

Unfortunately every single item slot is taken. :( Maybe in a future version I'll prune some less-used items (RageCandyBar, TinyMushroom), but not yet.

Please please please let me go east from Ecruteak before I go west!

This was a viable plan in GSC because the last few Gym Leaders barely increased in strength. Now Pryce is around 5 levels higher than before, and if you skip Cianwood and Olivine you're also missing some new training in Route 47+48 and Yellow Forest.

There are many people (including myself) who enjoy devamping, perhaps you could run a small competition and pick the best from that?

Can't guarantee that I'll use it, but I'd really appreciate if you (or anyone else) wants to make some new sprites. 2.0 will have a new Sylveon sprite by metalflygon08 with a cute animation (if I can get that part to work).

Overall I think that you have managed the difficulty curve extremely well. I have done barely any grinding, only lost one battle post-rival (Agitha in Lavender Town with the demon Crobat), but still had several close shaves (Karen's SD Weavile almost pulled off a 6-0 sweep), and the wild pokemon are consistently giving decent exp.

Interesting. Many people have said that the Kanto leaders were rising too fast to keep up given that all the wild Pokémon and NPCs are in their 40s. What's your training strategy? (Mine is to catch six within the first few gyms and keep them all at the exact same level with frequent minor grinding, which I know is probably uncommon.)

Have you ever played the Gold hack XY: Naturia? That dude has abilities, some work better than others but all things considered it's pretty impressive.

I started playing it a while back. It's a neat game. I do wish the abilities had in-game descriptions, since some of them (including your starter Eevee's) are original.

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
    Years
  • Interesting. Many people have said that the Kanto leaders were rising too fast to keep up given that all the wild Pokémon and NPCs are in their 40s. What's your training strategy? (Mine is to catch six within the first few gyms and keep them all at the exact same level with frequent minor grinding, which I know is probably uncommon.)

Not that guy but it should be noted I was about 10-30 levels underleveled (I fought the naval rock boss with high 70s to low 80s) but I don't really mind since its more fun, in kanto though I'll admit theres a powergap between normal trainers and wild encounters to bosses, so I can see why people would have a problem especially with the bump from Kanto Gym Leaders to the Elite four round 2 and the two final bosses.

The only grinding I felt forced into was right before the Elite four but that was my fault since I only had 5 members since I couldn't decide on a 6th...

EDIT: btw I don't know if you're already aware of this oddity I noticed awhile ago but Zapdos's OW sprite is messed up, it appears as a trainer sprite looking up and down repeatedly

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I'm not sure if everyone noticed how the Fighting Dojo works, so I added a daily schedule on the wall. Which is especially helpful since there are now five unlockable trainers beyond the 16 Gym Leaders. ;)

VzICFuH.png

Zapdos's OW sprite is messed up, it appears as a trainer sprite looking up and down repeatedly

Yeah, thanks, it's been fixed.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Scyther just realized it's dream of becoming a bulbasaur xD
    On a serious note I think it's a bug just like Scyther is.. Ok I'll stop now.. Use the latest version I remember seeing that bug only in the previous versions of the hack

I was using the latest version though. 1.1.2. I don't see the 2.0.0 version that I thought this would be in by now. Unless I'm missing something.

Last edited:

Murkrow

Nasty Plotting
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2023
    i couldn't wait till next week or so, so i compiled the latest 2.0.0 version, started playing... and got a bug for you :)

when you are playing nuzlocke mode and you hatch the gift togepi, the game crash upon entering a nickname for the togepi. it does not crash if nuzlocke mode is disabled.

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2022
    Oh, Ive jsut thought of a much simpler way of making it easier to level up, than increasing all the wild Pokemon levels etc etc.

What about an NPC like an Aide giving you a Lucky Egg after beating all of the Johto Gyms? Like when you go to the Lab after beating Blackthorn Gym and talk to Elm, you could also talk to the Aide and get a Lucky Egg? Or is one already available and I just missed it?

And finally, I can see people talking about version 2.0, but all i can see on the OP are links to 1.12? How do I play 2.0?

Last edited:

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
    Years
  • Oh, Ive jsut thought of a much simpler way of making it easier to level up, than increasing all the wild Pokemon levels etc etc.

What about an NPC like an Aide giving you a Lucky Egg after beating all of the Johto Gyms? Like when you go to the Lab after beating Blackthorn Gym and talk to Elm, you could also talk to the Aide and get a Lucky Egg?

This is already in the game, but its behind a 75 pokemon caught requirement (Rangi said he was lowering it to coincide with the other two aides), he's in Blackthorn Pokemon Center.

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2022
    This is already in the game, but its behind a 75 pokemon caught requirement (Rangi said he was lowering it to coincide with the other two aides), he's in Blackthorn Pokemon Center.

Ah, thank you! I'll quickly evolve some of the things in my PC then and grab it.

Also, where can I get the Magmarizer and Electirizer?

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Try to repatch a fresh rom and see if it persists since I didn't have this bug

OH FOR-I Just did as you said but now the game's broken! I can't even play the game! I had some amazing pokemon now I have to delete my game and start all over because everything's glitched out!

EDIT: .........OK I restarted my game and now the rival instead of using a starter to counter mine, he has a sentret. I'm not gonna play again until the update, there's just so much weird crap happening that I cannot play this properly. I know for a fact this is the most recent version of the game too since 2.0 isn't out yet.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2016
    OH FOR-I Just did as you said but now the game's broken! I can't even play the game! I had some amazing pokemon now I have to delete my game and start all over because everything's glitched out!

EDIT: .........OK I restarted my game and now the rival instead of using a starter to counter mine, he has a sentret. I'm not gonna play again until the update, there's just so much weird crap happening that I cannot play this properly. I know for a fact this is the most recent version of the game too since 2.0 isn't out yet.

I didn't have these bug

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    when you are playing nuzlocke mode and you hatch the gift togepi, the game crash upon entering a nickname for the togepi. it does not crash if nuzlocke mode is disabled.

Good catch, thanks a lot! It's fixed now.

OK I restarted my game and now the rival instead of using a starter to counter mine, he has a sentret.

That's not a bug. One of the updates gave him a second Pokémon since the player has the opportunity to train their starter before battling him. And 2.0 will have a friendly rival, Lyra, who battles you with the third starter as soon as you get one.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    Good catch, thanks a lot! It's fixed now.

That's not a bug. One of the updates gave him a second Pokémon since the player has the opportunity to train their starter before battling him. And 2.0 will have a friendly rival, Lyra, who battles you with the third starter as soon as you get one.

I did not see this before, and I know I was using 1.1.2. Was 1.1.2 updated within the last 3 or 4 days?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I did not see this before, and I know I was using 1.1.2. Was 1.1.2 updated within the last 3 or 4 days?

No, once a version is released it never changes. New code gets a new version number. You could have been on 1.0.0, since it was the 1.0.0→1.1.0 update that broke save compatibility.

Years
    • Seen today
    So it turns out that 80% of the code for a third Trainer Card page was already there, unused. Here's the new Kanto badge page, hinting at the intended Gym order:

aTy4bRQ.png

The Game Freak devs did that so they wouldn't spoil the player I guess? Then again, since I've played the whole game numerous times over, it's kinda cool to see my badges when the game won't let you. You will put this in the next update right?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    The Game Freak devs did that so they wouldn't spoil the player I guess? Then again, since I've played the whole game numerous times over, it's kinda cool to see my badges when the game won't let you. You will put this in the next update right?

The leftover code actually has a check for whether you've reached Kanto yet; if not, the badges are hidden. And yes, it'll be out in 2.0 this week.

Splash

But nothing happened.
    Years
  • The leftover code actually has a check for whether you've reached Kanto yet; if not, the badges are hidden. And yes, it'll be out in 2.0 this week.
    Can't wait for the new version! I might even compile the game as is xD
    On a side note any notable features you're planning for 2.0.1?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Can't wait for the new version! I might even compile the game as is xD

Go ahead, but please start a new save file when 2.0 actually comes out. I don't know what kind of glitches could happen otherwise. :P

On a side note any notable features you're planning for 2.0.1?

Well, here's what has to be done before 2.0:

• Revise the Silver Wing event
    • Write dialog for one more trainer
    • Add more Battle Tower trainers and Pokémon
    • Fix Gold Berry to heal 25%, not 30 HP
    • Adjust Kanto levels

Here's what might get done if time permits, but will probably be pushed back to 2.0.1:

• Add sprites for Surfing and Flying Pikachu
    • Extend Kanto's sea routes and add more trainers

And here's what definitely won't be in 2.0, but could be in a save-compatible 2.0.1 or 2.1 update:

• A Giovanni event
    • Show Pokémon portraits when using HM moves
    • Larger Kanto maps like in RBY
    • Other things on the to-do list

Back