• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    Rangi, I have a sugesti?n. Could you make so that when we're moving Pok?mon through the PC, at the top it shows how many Pok?mon are there in the box? I often find myself trying to move Pok?mon to an already filled box.
    Thanks!

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Rangi, I have a sugesti?n. Could you make so that when we're moving Pok?mon through the PC, at the top it shows how many Pok?mon are there in the box? I often find myself trying to move Pok?mon to an already filled box.
    Thanks!

Done!

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
  • This is just an idea I had...
    What about bringing back the 2nd floors of the gates that Kanto had in gen 1/gen 3? You may also bring back the prof. Oak's aides that give you some items based on your pokedex completion like the ones from Johto.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2022
    I've been enjoying this hack so far, but one of the rocket grunts that gives the password (the female one at the computer) has a level 137 Exxeggutaur. It's not really a visual glitch since it's just a trainer with a high level pokemon, but I can post screenshots if needed.

Is this something in the hack or did something go wrong with my patching?

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    I've been enjoying this hack so far, but one of the rocket grunts that gives the password (the female one at the computer) has a level 137 Exxeggutaur. It's not really a visual glitch since it's just a trainer with a high level pokemon, but I can post screenshots if needed.

I think it must be the patch. You should try patching a new ROM and try to recoger ypur savefile.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    This is just an idea I had...
    What about bringing back the 2nd floors of the gates that Kanto had in gen 1/gen 3? You may also bring back the prof. Oak's aides that give you some items based on your pokedex completion like the ones from Johto.

Done! No NPCs in them yet, but the binoculars work. I also decided to make the Kanto gate houses look different from the Johto ones: they're using Mateo's devamped FR/LG tiles.

Edit: Maybe this color scheme looks better?

This was a glitch with an old version. Download the 2.2.0 patch and an original Crystal ROM.

Last edited:

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    I prefer the former color scheme myself. It also works better with the trees (or whatever these things are supposed to be). Perhaps consider another color scheme for the chairs and table on the second floor, or maybe make it look as if they are on a mat, to avoid the different floor color scheme there. I'm not a fan of the awkward shadows in the sideway gates for the top right. Also, speaking of gatehouses, why did Route 1-Viridian City get one (in the 3.0 commits)? I've personally never been a fan of gatehouses -- I've gotten used to them in the vanilla places, but would rather not have them -- so having even more of them doesn't really feel right to me.

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I prefer the former color scheme myself. It also works better with the trees (or whatever these things are supposed to be). Perhaps consider another color scheme for the chairs and table on the second floor, or maybe make it look as if they are on a mat, to avoid the different floor color scheme there. I'm not a fan of the awkward shadows in the sideway gates for the top right. Also, speaking of gatehouses, why did Route 1-Viridian City get one (in the 3.0 commits)? I've personally never been a fan of gatehouses -- I've gotten used to them in the vanilla places, but would rather not have them -- so having even more of them doesn't really feel right to me.

I ended up changing the carpet from green to blue, which has better contrast against the brown floor.

The Route 1 gatehouse was in HG/SS, and coincidentally is where I needed to place one anyway. Outdoor maps joined by a connection have to share the same subset of usable sprites, and Route 22 needed a few more. Isolating {Viridian, Route 22, Route 2} from {Route 1, Pallet, Route 21, Cinnabar, Route 20, Route 19} was perfect for it.

While researching gatehouses, I read that Hoenn only had two, at either end of Cycling Road. Which explains why it was such fun to explore (besides the sudden improvement in graphics, music, and screen size from the GameBoy Color).

Linnie

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2022
    Hoenn also had "gatehouses" in the form of Rustboro being blocked off from the rest of the maps by two caves and a forest. I agree on Hoenn being great to travel through for that reason (in RSE at least, ORAS butchered it pretty badly in that regard with all the added gates, Slateport even has a gate within itself blocking off the marketplace).

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Hoenn also had "gatehouses" in the form of Rustboro being blocked off from the rest of the maps by two caves and a forest. I agree on Hoenn being great to travel through for that reason (in RSE at least, ORAS butchered it pretty badly in that regard with all the added gates, Slateport even has a gate within itself blocking off the marketplace).

Because GF can't do 3d properly without badly messing it up lol.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I don't remember Route 1 having a gatehouse. Aren't you thinking of Route 2?

Like I said, it wasn't in GSC. HGSS added the gatehouse, and I copied it for technical reasons.

True. Rustboro Tunnel did let you Rock Smash through it and connect the map yourself, which was fun in its own way.

I didn't know that about ORAS, but it's probably because they couldn't get the 3D environment working as one huge map.

(I hope someone does an Emerald hack in the style of Red++ and Polished Crystal. Add Sea Mauville, the Delta Episode, Cosplay Pikachu, all that new content; and of course up-to-date mechanics and convenience features. I'd love to replay Hoenn, but not if the overall game feels older than a Gen 1/2 hack.)

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    So I was messing around with reworking how the end of turn is handled in the engine (mostly to properly handle fainting), and was going to implement Black Sludge, and noticed that you didn't add that item. Fair enough. But I also noticed that you didn't add Toxic Orb/Flame Orb either (and a couple of other battle items, but most of the other ones are hardly ever used, the only one I think that see some niche use that isn't there being Eject Button). The lack of those items make Guts, Quick Feet and Poison Heal far harder to utilize. I noticed that there was a couple of spaces left, but I understand if you wouldn't want to use them up right away. But IMO, at least the status orbs should be there.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    Where can I get Heracross? Is there a documen where it is detailed the Pokémon you get through headbutt?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    A question for players: I'd like to add two unique and useful moves, Sucker Punch and U-Turn. Which of these should they replace, if any? All the low-hanging fruit (OHKOs, redundant moves, etc) are already gone. (I'm not removing Leech Life, it's apparently getting buffed in Sun/Moon since it's a TM!) I'll probably remove Whirlwind, but what about one more?

So I was messing around with reworking how the end of turn is handled in the engine (mostly to properly handle fainting), and was going to implement Black Sludge, and noticed that you didn't add that item. Fair enough. But I also noticed that you didn't add Toxic Orb/Flame Orb either (and a couple of other battle items, but most of the other ones are hardly ever used, the only one I think that see some niche use that isn't there being Eject Button). The lack of those items make Guts, Quick Feet and Poison Heal far harder to utilize. I noticed that there was a couple of spaces left, but I understand if you wouldn't want to use them up right away. But IMO, at least the status orbs should be there.

Will add:

• Flame Orb
    • Toxic Orb
    • Sticky Barb
    • Black Sludge

Not implementing:

• Eject Button — too specialized?
    • Red Card — too specialized?
    • Absorb Bulb — too specialized
    • Cell Battery — too specialized
    • Luminous Moss — too specialized
    • Snowball — too specialized
    • Lagging Tail — Trick Room does not exist
    • Iron Ball — Trick, Fling, Telekinesis, and Magnet Rise do not exist
    • Ring Target — Trick does not exist
    • Float Stone — Grass Knot and Heavy Slam not exist
    • Gems — too many of them, just use a 20% type-boosting item
    • Incenses — redundant
    • Plates — redundant

I'm leaving at least a few spaces for new Sun/Moon items, and a certain original key item. Not a competitive battler myself, so let me know if any of those will be missed. (Eject Button and Red Card might be useful? Sticky Barb might not be? Did I forget any?)

Where can I get Heracross? Is there a documen where it is detailed the Pokémon you get through headbutt?

There's just the source code. Heracross's Headbutt locations haven't changed, though; for Headbutt trees, all I really did was fill in the slots left when I removed Spearow.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2022
    Not a lot of pokemon seem to have "Vital Throw" as a vital part of their moveset, and Submission and Cross Chop are already decently powerful physical fighting type attacks.

Twineedle and Pin Missle are pretty much the same thing as well, so one of those could go as well.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Black Sludge is kinda redundant without Trick as well (Thief is a thing, but.. meh), unless Battle Tower enforces Item Clause.

I haven't seen Sticky Barb being used, ever. I'd personally call that one even more niche than Eject Button/Red Card IMO.

Moves I wouldn't miss, including moves I know you have disagreed on earlier (for completeness' sake):
    * Slam
    * Mud Slap (only if Roost replaced it)
    * Submission (only if Close Combat replaced it)
    * Vital Throw
    * One of Morning Sun and Moonlight
    * One of Pound and Scratch
    * One of Fury Attack and Fury Swipes

I have a hard time figuring out anything else to remove, tbh (This is also why I've started to consider looking into move expansions, even though it would probably be tricky to pull off).

EDIT: Does Struggle still function if you move that to index FF and remove the special case where using move FF instantly skips the turn? This special case is unused in GSC (in RBY it is used for Wrap). Relevant code is at effect_commands.asm:127-131. If this works, you get a whopping 1 additional slot! (Seriously though, if it does work, I don't see why not to abuse it)

Last edited:
    Back