• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    The Github README is slightly misleading, the features listed is for 3.0. This means breakage of save compatibility. Just saying!

Rangi intends to release 3.0 within 2016, no additional specific is given.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    SM mechanical spoilers ahead (move related):
    Spoiler:

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    SM mechanical spoilers ahead (move related):
    Spoiler:

Extending the moves eventually would be worthwhile. Trick, Roost, Toxic Spikes, Shell Smash, and Trick Room are all interesting, as you mentioned. And there are the groups of related moves: the starter-exclusive elemental Hyper Beam clones, the elemental Fang moves, more moves that sharply affect a stat, powerful moves that lower a user's stat or two (Draco Meteor, Close Combat, etc)...

Speaking of Sun/Moon:

Spoiler:

Years
  • I was wondering if this hack could be translated to other languages (and red++ too)... cause I could help with the spanish and (maybe) german translations

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I was wondering if this hack could be translated to other languages (and red++ too)... cause I could help with the spanish and (maybe) german translations

Feel free to fork it on GitHub and make a translated version. Just don't remove the credits.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Minor Sun/Moon Pokémon spoilers:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Minor Sun/Moon Pokémon spoilers:

Spoiler:

Wait, did you replace another pokémon to insert alolan diglett?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Wait, did you replace another pokémon to insert alolan diglett?

It replaces regular Diglett, since Diglett's Cave is the only place they can be found.

Differences:

• Part Steel type (there were too few of those)
    • Tangling Hair instead of Arena Trap (lowers foe's Speed on contact)
    • +10 Defense, −10 Speed
    • Metal Claw and Iron Head replace Scratch and Slash
    • Hair

Last edited:

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    This is the kind of thing that Form data should be able to handle, IMO. Allthough messing with that might need too much work for 3.0.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    This is the kind of thing that Form data should be able to handle, IMO. Allthough messing with that might need too much work for 3.0.

GetBaseData and everything that refers to EvosAttacksPointers would have to be made aware of forms. It is the ideal solution, but would probably take too long. Possibly for 3.1.

Tendoman77

Formerly known as "Da Man"
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    May I suggest Diglett appear in the early game too? Maybe somewhere like Dark Cave. I don't think you get any other ground types for a long time other than Sandshrew (and the Nidos are only in the National Park if I recall, but I don't remember the earliest you get a moon stone from)

And if your going with the steel typing too, then it be the first one you get untill Magnemite west of Ecruteak.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    May I suggest Diglett appear in the early game too? Maybe somewhere like Dark Cave. I don't think you get any other ground types for a long time other than Sandshrew (and the Nidos are only in the National Park if I recall, but I don't remember the earliest you get a moon stone from)

And if your going with the steel typing too, then it be the first one you get untill Magnemite west of Ecruteak.

I'd consider this if both forms of Diglett were in the game, but there's no reason for a volcanic Diglett to be in Johto. If you want a Ground type, there's also Geodude before Falkner, Onix before Bugsy, Cubone before Whitney (in Goldenrod Game Corner), and I retyped Dunsparce to Normal/Ground and raised its stats.

FIQ

Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2022
    Personally I think the "2d" icons (used in 3-5gen) without the shadows would look better.

Good work otherwise, looks nice!

EDIT: Oh, you did actually remove the shadows in a later commit. Never mind then!

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Would having icons for move category and type also work?

Possibly. There's just enough room in the palettes for the colors, I think, and some BG tiles can be moved to the "font" tile area to make room for the icons' tiles. Here's a mockup of how the interface could look (with a six-character type name to show how many tiles it would need):

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

And the other category icons:

I like this suggestion more than I expected to. Keeping the tile palettes up-to-date might be a pain in the neck, since the Pokémon back sprite uses palette 0 and the icons don't; the color updates for the status icons are already kind of hacky. Still, this lets all the move info fit neatly in three lines, and looks quite good. It may even be possible to use the icons on the move screen:

Edit: Sample type icons:

Hello, please consider making HM forgettable, move deleter is met pretty late in game. I don't want to waste my move slot in my only water pokemon in team.

HM moves are unforgettable (and unreleasable) because if they weren't, you could get yourself stuck somewhere permanently. Like by Flying to Cianwood and then releasing everyone who can learn Surf or Fly, throwing away your Poké Balls, and saving the game.

I've tried to make up for this by making HM moves more powerful. Also, in 3.0 Flash and Rock Smash are just TMs. Of the six HMs, Surf and Waterfall are already good, I've buffed Strength, Cut, and Fly, and Whirlpool is rarely needed anyway.

Last edited:

Adammac

Linux user
    Years
  • HM moves are unforgettable (and unreleasable) because if they weren't, you could get yourself stuck somewhere permanently. Like by Flying to Cianwood and then releasing everyone who can learn Surf or Fly, throwing away your Poké Balls, and saving the game.

But you can buy poke balls in Yellow Forest entrance. Now you can forget all the HMs in Blackthorn city so what's the difference? Also I think that game prevents you from releasing last pokemon that can learn surf but I'm not sure.

On the other site, I'm pretty sure that everyone are playing this game on emulators which are allowing to have multiple save states. Also I think that nobody is really that stupid to release all pokemon which can learn surf. This is not official Nintendo game and it doesn't have to be so idiot-proof.

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2023
    awesome, i will play and tell what i think !
    i am a big fan of mateo's Red ++ , looking forward to finish your game !

quote >''the new early-game options menu: ,,,,, for nature ''
    hey Rangi , this option is will be available in 3.0 ?
    how is working the nature system now .. like 3 gen ?

thank you
    OBS: already played 5 hrs in game ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Move types and categories, as well as status effects, use icons too. This also frees enough space to display moves' power and accuracy during battle.

Edit: They're also used on the Moves screen.

But you can buy poke balls in Yellow Forest entrance. Now you can forget all the HMs in Blackthorn city so what's the difference? Also I think that game prevents you from releasing last pokemon that can learn surf but I'm not sure.

On the other site, I'm pretty sure that everyone are playing this game on emulators which are allowing to have multiple save states. Also I think that nobody is really that stupid to release all pokemon which can learn surf. This is not official Nintendo game and it doesn't have to be so idiot-proof.

That was just one example of how players can get stuck. I'm not going to rely on "don't be stupid" to let people complete the game. You can forget HMs in Blackthorn City, and before that it's easy enough that you can have an HM slave on your team if necessary.

quote >''the new early-game options menu: ,,,,, for nature ''
    hey Rangi , this option is will be available in 3.0 ?
    how is working the nature system now .. like 3 gen ?

thank you
    OBS: already played 5 hrs in game ^^

Everything I'm posting about lately is previews of what will be in 3.0. Natures work just like Gen 3: +10% to one stat, −10% to another. Arrows on the status screen show you which stats are affected.

Last edited:
    Back