• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    Regarding the above screenshots; I really like the minimalist approach you've gone for with this. Especially since the opponents used to have an exp bar even though this was never used, so it's nice that this has been removed to declutter the screen a bit more. On the whole, this all looks very clean so I can't wait to try out the next update, whenever that will be!

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    It's weird that Prof. Oak gets to introduce RBY and GSC, while Prof. Elm doesn't even have a sprite in his own generation. So I'm thinking of changing that:

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

It's another deviation from the nostalgic original, but I kind of like it. Thoughts?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    Definitely approve! It's weird how Oak introduced you in GSC considering you barely talked to him. I mean, you barely talk to Elm either, but he's the professor in your town and he has more dialogue than Oak.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    I also approve of this. Not least because when you meet Oak at Mr Pokemon's house everyone seems to act as though you're meeting him for the first time. That never made sense to me, whereas Elm is your neighbour so it stands to reason that you've met him plenty of times.

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2020
    Sorry to ask, but any timetable for 3.0 to complete?

Anything to really look forward to or is it mostly just small changes form now on?

Thinking of playing 2.2.0, but not sure whether to wait.
    Is this still good as is?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Sorry to ask, but any timetable for 3.0 to complete?

Anything to really look forward to or is it mostly just small changes form now on?

Thinking of playing 2.2.0, but not sure whether to wait.
    Is this still good as is?

Hopefully in late January. I chose to number it 3.0 instead of 2.3 because there are major changes, including:

• Abilities (optional if you don't want them)
    • Natures (also optional now)
    • New locations
    • New characters
    • New sidequests
    • Separate Sp.Atk and Sp.Def DVs
    • TMs are not items any more, which frees up space for 60 more items
    • More Bag space, with new Medicine and Berry pockets
    • Lots of bugfixes and graphical improvements

You could do a quick 2.2.0 playthrough now; I think 3.0 will have different enough gameplay to be worth replaying. But I'm biased. ;)

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
    Years
  • Hopefully in late January. I chose to number it 3.0 instead of 2.3 because there are major changes, including:

• Abilities (optional if you don't want them)
    • Natures (also optional now)
    • New locations
    • New characters
    • New sidequests
    • Separate Sp.Atk and Sp.Def DVs
    • TMs are not items any more, which frees up space for 60 more items
    • More Bag space, with new Medicine and Berry pockets
    • Lots of bugfixes and graphical improvements

You could do a quick 2.2.0 playthrough now; I think 3.0 will have different enough gameplay to be worth replaying. But I'm biased. ;)

You revamp the stat experience system yet? It's so bad for maxing out stats so I'd be happy to see it go.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    You revamp the stat experience system yet? It's so bad for maxing out stats so I'd be happy to see it go.

Yes, now you gain EVs instead of stat experience. Since EVs max out at 255 and stat exp at 65,536, gaining 3 EVs is like beating something with a 770 base stat. Also, there's no 510 EV limit, so you can max them all out. (I considered adding one, but decided that managing EVs isn't actually fun.)

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
    Years
  • Yes, now you gain EVs instead of stat experience. Since EVs max out at 255 and stat exp at 65,536, gaining 3 EVs is like beating something with a 770 base stat. Also, there's no 510 EV limit, so you can max them all out. (I considered adding one, but decided that managing EVs isn't actually fun.)

Thank god, I assume DV's are also revamped to match IVs now as well

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Thank god, I assume DV's are also revamped to match IVs now as well

There are separate DVs for HP, Atk, Def, Spd, SpA, and SpD, but they go from 0 to 15, not 0 to 31. Still, there's also a personality value to determine things like gender and shininess, so those aren't related to DVs any more.

Master Terrador

Mostly Dead
    Years
  • There are separate DVs for HP, Atk, Def, Spd, SpA, and SpD, but they go from 0 to 15, not 0 to 31. Still, there's also a personality value to determine things like gender and shininess, so those aren't related to DVs any more.

I actually prefer the 1 to 15 since it's much easier to get good spreads, so that's pretty nice

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Thanks to some observations by Danny-E 33, I've shifted the tile data around in VRAM. Previously some tilesets had up to the maximum of 192 tiles. Now the maximum is 240 tiles (with 16 of the 256 tile IDs being used for text boxes). I haven't noticed any glitches because of this so far. It should be especially helpful for outdoor tilesets.

Also, can you make the Eggs go straight to the PC like in Sun/Moon?

Maybe... I've run into bugs with PC-related features before, but will see if this is viable.

So can you still catch a Scyther in the Bug Catching contest in National Park?

Yes.

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Quick question: I'm trying to adapt RSE's boat to GSC, given that tiles are 8x8 and the "white" hue on the blue tiles cycles white→sky blue→dark blue due to the water animation. Does this look acceptable?

Or this:

Also, happy new year! :)

Last edited:
    Back