• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    I say why not. It's a really cool concept and allows for more variety. Every single individual of a Pokemon species probably wouldn't look exactly the same, realistically. Or at least as realistic as Pokemon can be. :P

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2024
    Remember, I have no guarantees about the latest Polished Crystal code because it's incomplete and always being updated. Maybe it won't compile on your machine, definitely it will break saves, and I can't prove that it won't set your computer on fire. ;) When 3.0 is officially out then it will support people checking out the final code and compiling that, as it does now with the 2.2.0 code. (Wow, that was 8 months ago...)
    As a matter of fact not even the 2.2.0 build can be compiled for some reason even after updating RGBDS... This is the error message I get:

Spoiler:

This is the one for 3.0.0:
    Spoiler:

Maybe I did something wrong while updating RGB?

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    As a matter of fact not even the 2.2.0 build can be compiled for some reason even after updating RGBDS... This is the error message I get:

Spoiler:

This is the one for 3.0.0:
    Spoiler:

Maybe I did something wrong while updating RGB?

2.2.0 was released months ago, and since then an update to rgbds has disallowed sections with identical names. So to compile 2.2.0, use an older version, and for 3.0 use the latest one (and use "make debug").

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    This is just an idea so far, haven't even seen how feasible it would be to implement, but: what if each Pok?mon had slight color variations? Gligar had three different hues just in Gen 4, so what if they were all possible?

You might end up with different Exeggutor that look like this (top-left is the default, the rest have 12 bits of variation allowing for 4,096 variants):

Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Opinions, yes or no? Too subtle to bother with?

I have only one issue with this, and that is the fact that some shinies are already so subtle that they're almost impossible to notice unless you're paying attention (I'm looking at you, Persian). This is an awesome feature, but I say that if it's implemented then we are gonna need the more subtle shinies to be drastically altered to make them more obvious. On a similar note, would this make true shinies feel less special?

I'm all for different poses for some pokemon though, such as the special sprite for Red's Pikachu (incidentally, has anyone animated that yet? I hope so). I'd love to see more of those eventually on special pokemon, as they would seriously expand the variety in the game!

Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2018
    Are static encounters such as suicune and lapras able to be soft rested to be shiny?
    Also keep up the great work, Rangi!
    This is my hands down favorite hack and can hardly wait for future updates.

Years
  • This is just an idea so far, haven't even seen how feasible it would be to implement, but: what if each Pok?mon had slight color variations? Gligar had three different hues just in Gen 4, so what if they were all possible?

You might end up with different Exeggutor that look like this (top-left is the default, the rest have 12 bits of variation allowing for 4,096 variants):

Pokemon of the same kind, nature, level, etc. are not expected to be identical. It would be only natural that variants should exist. In fact, if you could achieve such a feat... It would be amazing!

As someone pointed out, one would need a sharp eye to distinguish a shiny pokemon from so many variants. HOWEVER! If i was following correctly the progression you made, a gold-yellow star, similar to the Gen. 3 one, would appear at the battle box of the encountered shiny pokemon. As thus, everyone will be able to tell if it is a simple variant or a shiny.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • I have only one issue with this, and that is the fact that some shinies are already so subtle that they're almost impossible to notice unless you're paying attention (I'm looking at you, Persian). This is an awesome feature, but I say that if it's implemented then we are gonna need the more subtle shinies to be drastically altered to make them more obvious. On a similar note, would this make true shinies feel less special?

I'm all for different poses for some pokemon though, such as the special sprite for Red's Pikachu (incidentally, has anyone animated that yet? I hope so). I'd love to see more of those eventually on special pokemon, as they would seriously expand the variety in the game!

It stands to reason that the shiny versions of these Pokemon would also have color variants, which actually makes any shinies even more unique. I don't think subtle shinies are that big of a problem, as realistically how many people are going to encounter them/use these specific ambiguously shiny Pokemon compared to the amount of people that will have access to the normal color variants?

Please go for it, Rangi. This is a great idea and something that I haven't seen suggested before. Anything to make our Pokemon a little more distinct.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2024
    2.2.0 was released months ago, and since then an update to rgbds has disallowed sections with identical names. So to compile 2.2.0, use an older version, and for 3.0 use the latest one (and use "make debug").
    Huh, weird... I had already updated rgbds and I managed to compile 3.0 when I updated Cygwin. Still no luck with 2.2.0; I even went back as far as v2.4... oh well.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    Something I thought I'd mention: when you try to get to the Goldenrod port, it's really awkward navigating around the NPC on the bottom, the sign post, and the rocket grunt at the top. Would you be able to move the signpost to either the right side of the door, or left of the building alongside the white fence? That'd just be a really quick-fix quality of life improvement that would be really appreciated. Also, since it's a sign for the Radio Tower itself, it'd kinda make more sense being a little closer to it.

The guy who sells stuff in Yellow Forest's gate doesn't turn to face you when you talk to him, and when you buy stuff he says "Thanks much!" Was that intended?

Attachments

• Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)
      Pokemon Polished Crystal.png
      3.5 KB · Views: 6
    Last edited:
    Years
  • This is just an idea so far, haven't even seen how feasible it would be to implement, but: what if each Pokémon had slight color variations? Gligar had three different hues just in Gen 4, so what if they were all possible?

I like that idea, it's like what Pokémon Go did with heights and weights.

Also thinking about that game I got an idea (for v4.0.0):
    It's about adding some kind of "achievements" to this hack. Things like "catch x pokémon of x type", "hatch x eggs" and so on. Of course, they should be things completely doable without wasting lots of time or becoming annoying, so for example if there are only 5 ghost-type pokémon you won't be asked to catch 100 of them. Completing these achievements might unlock things like new items for sale in the battle tower or access to new places.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    Also thinking about that game I got an idea (for v4.0.0):
    It's about adding some kind of "achievements" to this hack. Things like "catch x pokémon of x type", "hatch x eggs" and so on. Of course, they should be things completely doable without wasting lots of time or becoming annoying, so for example if there are only 5 ghost-type pokémon you won't be asked to catch 100 of them. Completing these achievements might unlock things like new items for sale in the battle tower or access to new places.

That's actually an awesome idea! I believe gen 5 did something similar with an achievement system? There could be things like talking to a certain number of different NPCs, or checking all the bookcases in Celadon University, for example. That'd encourage people to go out of their way to search for the extra content and easter eggs that they might miss otherwise by mainlining the game to the end.

Definitely something more aimed at v4.0.0, but a neat concept all the same!

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    That's actually an awesome idea! I believe gen 5 did something similar with an achievement system? There could be things like talking to a certain number of different NPCs, or checking all the bookcases in Celadon University, for example. That'd encourage people to go out of their way to search for the extra content and easter eggs that they might miss otherwise by mainlining the game to the end.

Definitely something more aimed at v4.0.0, but a neat concept all the same!

Japanese Crystal did something similar. It kept statistics on everything from your Bug-Catching Contest score, to the longest Magikarp you caught, so how many steps you took or times you used a Pokémon Center, and shared those stats somehow via the Mobile News Machine in the PokéCom Center.

I'm indifferent to earning arbitrary rankings, but a medal system like Gen 5 and 6 could definitely have some place in 4.0.

passarbye

Just passin' thru
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2017
    This is just an idea so far, haven't even seen how feasible it would be to implement, but: what if each Pokémon had slight color variations? Gligar had three different hues just in Gen 4, so what if they were all possible?

I love this idea! I always wondered why nintendo didn't do this kind of stuff, all the pokemon look the same and it does get a bit bland. Plus, it makes it all the more personal to someone that their Crobat is a bit differently colored than the rest.
    as someone else mentioned, if a shiny appears it would help to have a small star indicator on the battle screen somewhere.
    and a suggestion: if you implement this, could you do regional variants? like if you go to Route 2 to catch a pidgey it grabs from a different color pool than other routes (like route 24). This way, you could only catch certain variants in certain routes.
    Either way, I love the idea and really wish you luck with it!

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    After ironing out a bunch of bugs, color variation works!

Those are some of the most extreme examples: sometimes they aren't even noticeable. Colors vary based on DVs, in such a way that higher variance is less common.

(Specifically, a sprite has two RGB colors, so that's six color channels, each going from 0 to 31. (0, 0, 0) is black and (31, 31, 31) is white. Each channel is paired with a DV, since there are six DVs, and varied like this: c = min(max(c + (dv & 3) − ((dv >> 2) & 3), 0), 31). This way, for a random DV, four of its possible values will vary by 0, six by ±1, four by ±2, and two by ±3.)

Edit: Here's the level of variation you're more likely to see.

On a GameBoy's LCD screen it might not even be apparent. I might consider allowing ±4 variation, or increasing the odds of slight variations. The way the code is written, it would be a simple update.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2020
    Hey Rangi! The color variations based on DVs look great! GIves a lot more realistic and unique feel to having your own pokemon.

That being said, do you need any help with graphics or writing up trainer battle scripts? Would love to help in whatever way I can, even if it's just a little, in contributing to this amazing hack !

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    Hey Rangi! The color variations based on DVs look great! GIves a lot more realistic and unique feel to having your own pokemon.

That being said, do you need any help with graphics or writing up trainer battle scripts? Would love to help in whatever way I can, even if it's just a little, in contributing to this amazing hack !

I believe there are a few sprites that need animating, if you're able to help with that?

Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023

I believe there are a few sprites that need animating, if you're able to help with that?

Yeah, these four sprites:

I'm imagining the first Pikachu could flash like Mewtwo does, the second could twitch its ears or tail, Pichu could wave its limbs or something, and Squirtle could take off its glasses.

A few other tasks I'd really appreciate someone else doing:

• Implementing any of the new move animations.
    • Submitting pull requests on GitHub for any of the bugs.
    • Honestly, any isolated feature on the to-do list (although I'd love move animations in particular). Even if you see some little thing in the "Post-3.0" section, like "add the improved PRNG from Prism", I can add that. The map scripts require the most planning and direction with regard to characters and plot, so I'll handle those myself. Not too many left by now anyway.
    • Fixing the bland shiny palettes that are too similar the the normal ones, such as Charmeleon and Growlithe.

Last edited:
    Back