• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Crystal hack: Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)

Unown Seer

Earnest
Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2020
    I don't see the following issues on Github:

1. Opposing Pokemon sometimes randomly use Struggle after a turn or two.

2. Weak Policy doesn't always work when the holder is hit by a super effective move.

Last edited:

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    Looking at the world map, there's an area to the Southeast of Route 32. It doesn't seem to be there, has it not been implemented yet? I surf west out of Cherrygrove and head south, but there's nowhere to go.

Years
  • I don't see the following issues on Github:

1. Opposing Pokemon sometimes randomly use Struggle after a turn or two.
    Some learnsets are still being worked on. Rangi replaced missing moves with Struggle and that's (probably) why some Pokémon use it randomly.

Last edited:

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
    Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I hope there's a hidden grotto which offers both Kanto and Johto's starters since Totodile's hidden ability and Squirtle's are especially helpful for them. Totodile with Sheer Force gets an even greater boost from using Dragon Dance as a result.

Also it would be cool if you could recieve one of the Kanto starters as a reward from professor Oak when you get to Goldenrod City or something. I mention this since running into Oak after a broadcast with DJ Mary would be kina cool and he would be happy to see how your pokemon are doing in turn. As such getting a kanto starter would be a great prize for the encounter.

Also it would be cool if it were possible to redo the battle tower and create an actual battle frontier. Or at the very least have more than just one guy run the tower. X/Y did this with the Battle Maison as it was run by four sisters who lived at the facility.

Last edited:

Unown Seer

Earnest
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2020
    I suggest removing the Weedle line in favor of the Hoppip line for 3.0. We don't need four lines of early route bugs, and Beedril has the same typing as Venomoth and Ariados (I'm pretty sure that you haven't changed those, or at least not both). In contrast, Jumpluff's typing is unique for GSC and it is one of the fastest Pokemon in the games, which is particularly useful with Sleep Powder. A boost to one of its offensive stats would be appreciated, too.

Also, you should add a Silver battle on Route 47. Ecruteak to the Radio Tower is too long a gap, and one of the Rocket grunts in Mahogany says that Silver creamed him in their previous mission.

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    Don't worry, Rangi is way ahead of you on all of this :P We did a lot of research about the university and scraped together everything that we could find when writing dialogue for the game, including all the stuff you mentioned.

As for Goldenrod Museum, I had no idea that it was a thing. I somehow missed it on Bulbapedia until now, but it does mention about Janine testing the security system. Maybe this could be in reference to Team Rocket's attack on the Radio Tower? If before the takeover, Rockets in the tower could complain that security in the museum is too tight for them to steal anything. If after the takeover, museum staff could mention tightening their security and discuss a Kanto gym leader coming over on the Magnet Train? I really like both of those ideas. Regarding the museum's theme, I would suggest a history of Johto theme since the region is so ancient with such a rich backstory. It'd be a great opportunity to celebrate that.

I like the idea of a museum too. Found a good spot for it (ignore the weird roof+wall tiles, the renderer doesn't load per-area roofs). I'd appreciate any ideas for dialog, exhibits, events there, etc. One that might be possible is to show the completed Unown puzzle pictures after you solve them. But I'd be interested in any obscure canon trivia about Johto's history.

Oh, that's great. I'm glad that you guys are putting so much thought into this hack. It really makes it feel "Polished".

So, if the Dragon Rage Magikarp is in the hack, connected with the patterns from Magikarp Jump, will it be given some special IVs, so that it has a rare pattern (is there a pattern in Magikarp Jump that could be described as somewhat "draconic"?). Also, how about its level? It is not known what level the original University Magikarp from the '98 event (I assume it was rather low, maybe Level 5?) but since Celadon is relatively late into the game, maybe it should have a high level, like 50 or something? Overleveled Magikarps are a thing in the games. It should also hold an Everstone, obviously.

That sounds pretty good.

Magikarp patterns use a form ID independent of IVs. Same goes gender, shininess, etc. I could maybe draw a "draconic" Magikarp pattern for it.

I suggest removing the Weedle line in favor of the Hoppip line for 3.0. We don't need four lines of early route bugs, and Beedril has the same typing as Venomoth and Ariados (I'm pretty sure that you haven't changed those, or at least not both). In contrast, Jumpluff's typing is unique for GSC and it is one of the fastest Pokemon in the games, which is particularly useful with Sleep Powder. A boost to one of its offensive stats would be appreciated, too.

Also, you should add a Silver battle on Route 47. Ecruteak to the Radio Tower is too long a gap, and one of the Rocket grunts in Mahogany says that Silver creamed him in their previous mission.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not interested in removing more Pokémon, and Silver beat that Grunt in Slowpoke Well. Between Ecruteak and Mahogany you fight Lyra, and plenty of other new optional minibosses.

@Rangi What programs do you use for the sprites?

paint.net.

Unown Seer

Earnest
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2020
    Wait, how do you know he beat him in Slowpoke Well? There was no sign of him there and later on he just remarked that the player had foiled that mission.

Some obscure trivia:

1. The Ruins of Alph were built 1500 years ago.
    2. The Ecruteak towers were built 700 years ago.
    3. The Cianwood pharmacy has been around for 500 years.
    4. A Slowpoke's yawn ended a drought 400 years ago.
    5. The Radio Tower was preceded by an old and creaky tower that contained the Clear Bell, or wings in GS. Perhaps it contained all three and only the bell remained.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    I like the idea of a museum too. Found a good spot for it (ignore the weird roof+wall tiles, the renderer doesn't load per-area roofs). I'd appreciate any ideas for dialog, exhibits, events there, etc. One that might be possible is to show the completed Unown puzzle pictures after you solve them. But I'd be interested in any obscure canon trivia about Johto's history.

On it :D I have already written some stuff for it, but I'll see what else I can think of. I hope that whatever was in the house that has now been replaced by the museum isn't lost though. Could whoever was inside be moved elsewhere? I'm assuming Goldenrod has already reached the limit for number of warps on the map so we can't have any additional houses?

Also, I can't see the additional area near Fuchsia that we were talking about for 4.0 on the to-do list. Is it still in the pipeline for 4.0 someday?

EDIT:
    Spoiler:

Sorry, just thought I'd mention that. I really enjoy seeing everything come together on the github :3

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    On it :D I have already written some stuff for it, but I'll see what else I can think of. I hope that whatever was in the house that has now been replaced by the museum isn't lost though. Could whoever was inside be moved elsewhere? I'm assuming Goldenrod has already reached the limit for number of warps on the map so we can't have any additional houses?

Also, I can't see the additional area near Fuchsia that we were talking about for 4.0 on the to-do list. Is it still in the pipeline for 4.0 someday?

EDIT:
    Spoiler:

Sorry, just thought I'd mention that. I really enjoy seeing everything come together on the github :3

Yes, the two NPCs in the former house will still be in Goldenrod.

I abandoned that extra area, but maybe it'll be redesigned for 4.0.

Thanks for the dialog improvement. :)

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2023
    Excuse me for wasting your time but i have a question.
    Where can i find the ice rock to evolve my eevee into the glorious and almighty Glaceon?
    I cant find the location.
    Thanks in advance.

uchihamadada

Victory! Means Others Destruction!!
    Years
  • That Mareep paralyzed to mine using "Thunder wave", I had understood that an electric pokemon could no longer be paralyzed (it's the beta versión from July 24th) ;-;

Attachments

• Pokémon Polished Crystal (update 2.2.0)
      Pokemon Polished Crystal 3.0-39.png
      3.3 KB · Views: 8

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
    Years
  • I reminded myself of one more obscure thing that could be referenced in the future releases of the fact.

This is from Takeshi Shudo's early novelization of the anime. It says that over a hundred years back, Samuel Oak's great-great-grandfather Okido Masara (in English that'd be "Pallet Oak", I guess) was the first Trainer from Masshiro Town (=Pale Town?) who succeeded in ranking among the region's top Trainers (according to the book, he was 931st among the 10,000 top Trainers, but I personally change this into something more spectacular, like being the first Kanto Champion or something like that). He was treated as a hero by townsfolk, who renamed Pale Town into Pallet Town in honor of him. He essentially started the fame of the Oak clan.

Also, going back to Goldenrod Museum. Since Pewter Museum is centered around nature and natural history (with fossils and all that stuff), the Goldenrod one should revolve around culture and the history of coexistence between Pokemon and people in Johto. It could touch upon things such as Ecruteak Myths (maybe a painting of the Nameless Creatures?), Blackthorn Dragon Clan, Mahogany's Ninjas etc. One exhibit that I thought of would be that antique hollowed-out Apricorn Ball, the prototype of PokeBall.

I also think it could feature an exhibition dedicated to other regions. A good occasion to make some cross-regional references.

-------

Furthermore, I played the beta version of 3.0.0. I hope it's not a big secret, since it's been publicly posted on the Skeetendo Forums, so it's easily available.

It made me a bit mad that I discovered it of late and wasted my time on 2.2.0., especially that I trained a decent team last time and the saves aren't compatible. So, I replayed it, this time with less dedication as I wanted to speedrun through the hack (I even tried GameShark but it didn't work, lawl). It was really nice to compare the changes between the two versions. The scale of change is big and I'm again very impressed by it. And again, I have some remarks that I want to share. I will post them in a spoiler tag, so that people who wait for the official 3.0.0 release won't get spoiled.

Spoiler:

I'll post once again if I notice or get reminded or something, or get a new idea. I really have my fingers crossed for this hack, it looks great so far and gets even better with every update.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2023
    This is from Takeshi Shudo's early novelization of the anime. It says that over a hundred years back, Samuel Oak's great-great-grandfather Okido Masara (in English that'd be "Pallet Oak", I guess) was the first Trainer from Masshiro Town (=Pale Town?) who succeeded in ranking among the region's top Trainers (according to the book, he was 931st among the 10,000 top Trainers, but I personally change this into something more spectacular, like being the first Kanto Champion or something like that). He was treated as a hero by townsfolk, who renamed Pale Town into Pallet Town in honor of him. He essentially started the fame of the Oak clan.

This is amazing O.O I would totally love to see something so niche referenced in the game.

Also, regarding Celadon University: Did you read the bookcase text? If you like what's already there then you'll love that :P Each one has unique dialogue.

Maxim

Heavy Metal Alchemist
    Years
  • This is amazing O.O I would totally love to see something so niche referenced in the game.

Yeah, Shudo's book is full of many interesting facts about the early anime (most of which are long-forgotten and contradictory to today's anime and games).

The first volume and part of the second one can be read in English here. The thing about Masara Ookido is in the first chapter.

Some of the facts from the book feel really strange today.

Also, regarding Celadon University: Did you read the bookcase text? If you like what's already there then you'll love that :P Each one has unique dialogue.

I'm not sure... I've seen some of the changes on Github, though. I see that there are some fresh changes in the files related to the University.

For example, I've seen that Matsumoto's name was inserted. Also, his title was changed from "Dean" to "Principal". Is it because I used the word to describe him last time? Actually, I think that Dean is also okay, maybe even better ("Principal" sounds more like a head of a school). I'm very sorry if I caused the confusion.

Last edited:
    Years
    • NY
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    I reminded myself of one more obscure thing that could be referenced in the future releases of the fact.

Brilliant! I'll definitely find a way to use this.

Also, going back to Goldenrod Museum. Since Pewter Museum is centered around nature and natural history (with fossils and all that stuff), the Goldenrod one should revolve around culture and the history of coexistence between Pokemon and people in Johto. It could touch upon things such as Ecruteak Myths (maybe a painting of the Nameless Creatures?), Blackthorn Dragon Clan, Mahogany's Ninjas etc. One exhibit that I thought of would be that antique hollowed-out Apricorn Ball, the prototype of PokeBall.

I also think it could feature an exhibition dedicated to other regions. A good occasion to make some cross-regional references.

I drafted this layout yesterday, based partly on Lilycove Museum:

Spoiler:

It's dedicated to "Art and History", so yes, the glass cases could hold things like an old Apricorn Ball. The second floor has a couple paintings, the Big Pearl from the manga, Lilycove's tablet (not sure what to do with it, but it looks cool), and four exhibits for the solved Unown puzzles. The rock on the first floor could be a bit of local color, like "the very first rock unearthed to make way for the Magnet Train".

Furthermore, I played the beta version of 3.0.0. I hope it's not a big secret, since it's been publicly posted on the Skeetendo Forums, so it's easily available.

It made me a bit mad that I discovered it of late and wasted my time on 2.2.0., especially that I trained a decent team last time and the saves aren't compatible. So, I replayed it, this time with less dedication as I wanted to speedrun through the hack (I even tried GameShark but it didn't work, lawl). It was really nice to compare the changes between the two versions. The scale of change is big and I'm again very impressed by it. And again, I have some remarks that I want to share. I will post them in a spoiler tag, so that people who wait for the official 3.0.0 release won't get spoiled.

I actually feel conflicted about even releasing a beta. It's not a complete game, and I'd rather have people experience it in its finished state as a major step up from 2.2.0. On the other hand, they've found dozens of bugs here and there, so the final release should be that much better. So speedrunning is fine; I just hope it won't make 3.0 Final seem like a rerun.

Spoiler:

For example, I've seen that Matsumoto's name was inserted. Also, his title was changed from "Dean" to "Principal". Is it because I used the word to describe him last time? Actually, I think that Dean is also okay, maybe even better ("Principal" sounds more like a head of a school). I'm very sorry for the confusion.

Yeah, I assumed "Principal" was his official title. Calling him "Dean" was an excuse for a gratuitous Community reference anyway, so I may just leave it as-is.

sonic65101

Johto Champion
    Years
  • It might be too hard to do, but have you thought of having swimsuit variant sprites of the players for battling while surfing?

Back