• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Radical Red (VERSION 4.1 RELEASED! Gen 9 DLC Pokemon, Character Customization now available!)

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
    Years
    OK, so I just found an interesting glitch. So I'm doing a Feminine only Pokemon Team (Pokemon that are designed predominantly to look female like Gardevoir, Roserade, etc) and I caught a Shiny Alolan Meowth while Nugget farming. And when I tried to change the Nature, the game freezes.

Years
    Hey everyone! I had to make an account to try and get myself into the HoF 😁:
    https://imgur.com/a/ymkMC7c
    Pokémon Radical Red (VERSION 4.1 RELEASED! Gen 9 DLC Pokemon, Character Customization now available!)

Scizor (Lyndis) @ Leftovers / Scizorite
    Adamant Nature
    Ability: Technician
    Bullet Punch
    Bug Bite
    Roost
    Swords Dance

Utility Scizor with Defensive EVs - mostly to wall physical attackers, set up with swords dance, and sweep with Bullet Punch. Was super important in most gym battles

Mamoswine (Nubnub) @ Life Orb / Choice Scarf
    Jolly Nature
    Ability: Thick Fat
    Ice Shard
    EQ
    Rock Slide
    Icicle Crash

MVP during the E4 battles, and a prime revenge killer with great STAB Priority.

Gengar (Gargar) @ Gengarite / Choice Specs
    Timid Nature
    Ability: Levitate
    Shadow Ball
    Sludge Bomb
    Thunderbolt
    Focus Blast

My main Mega, power and speed let me revenge kill or sweep weakened teams.

Zapdos (Zoopers) @ Leftovers / Heavy D Boots
    Timid Nature
    Ability: Static
    Thunderbolt
    Heat Wave
    Roost
    Volt Switch

Bulky, pivot, and potential sweeper. Great late game addition that helped me win through some tough battles.

Tyranitar (Reptar) @ Chople Berry / Leftovers
    Careful Nature
    Ability: Sand Stream
    Stone Edge
    Crunch
    Earth Quake
    Fire Punch

Weather disruptor and super bulky defensive mon. Was useful after Erica in some of the tougher rival battles.

Azumarill (Brutus) @ Choice Band / Life Orb
    Adamant Nature
    Ability: Huge Power
    Aqua Jet
    Play Rough
    Ice Punch
    Superpower

Overall run MVP and absolute monster. Play Rough and Aqua Jet would rip through teams. I caught him in Viridian City and basically treated him as my starter. I loved Azumarill before, and I love it even more now.

I had a great time, it was probably the most fun playing a pokemon game in the 22 or so years I've been playing! I thought Falkner and Whitney were super challenging...but I was able to beat Green on my first try LOL. It was also great playing it on my Vita through Retroarch.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2022
    Did you remove False Swipe as a TM? I can't find it on the TM list and wished to make a Breloom to catch some pokemon

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
    Years
    Did you remove False Swipe as a TM? I can't find it on the TM list and wished to make a Breloom to catch some pokemon

If you want to do False Swipe for catching, the earliest that I can think of would be Farfetched right after Nugget Bridge. It's also a solid choice for a Frisk Pokemon to collect items like Bottle Caps and Mushrooms.

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
    Years
    After many failed runs, I have finally added a new team to my Hall of Fame runs. Granted, I dont keep the save files like I used to for the Mono Type runs back before the 2.3 update.

The team this go around was Salazzle, Gengar, Honchkrow, Perrserker, Pangoro, and Tentacruel. The theme was originally just Dark and Poisons, but Perrserker turned out to be quite the Revenger for me- Curse, Fake Out, Bullet Punch, and Iron Head (Tough Claws). If one of the other Pokemon did a good job, Perrserker came in with Fake Out and Bullet Punch to mop up. I made sure all my Dark Types had Sucker Punch and were Adamant Nature.

Pangoro was an interesting one since I decided to go for a more Defense/Special Defense build with the Assault Vest. Iron Fist, and using Bullet/Sucker/Drain/PowerUp Punch. It did better than I expected, but it spent most of the time KOed anyways.

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2022
    Does anyone know how shiny wonder eggs work? Has anyone here actually hatched one? If so, could you give me your Trainer ID so I can solve the following questions with testing?:

Is it affected by the shiny charm?
    Does it work like normal eggs where it's RNG and thus allows SR'ing?
    Or is it static like the Pokemon itself?
    And if so, is it just tied to trainer ID or also Secret ID?

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2021
    Pokémon Radical Red (VERSION 4.1 RELEASED! Gen 9 DLC Pokemon, Character Customization now available!)
    Join the Discord server for updates, bug reports, discussion, and more!

Intro
    I've been playing Pokémon ROM hacks since I was a kid, starting with Quartz, Ruby Destiny Reign of Legends, and Shiny Gold, all of which helped spiral my obsession, making me a long-time lurker in the community. Although I have made attempts to make one myself, I simply lacked the knowledge or dedication to make anything happen. Now, around 10-12 years later, seeing how far ROM hacking has advanced and with more confidence in my skills, I've decided to revisit developing my own ROM hack.

Fire Red enhancement hacks are definitely a dime a dozen these days, so you're probably wondering what this hack has to offer. I personally enjoy difficulty hacks the most, which is why I consider ROM hacks like Clover and Vega to be the two best ones out there.

This hack is at its core a difficulty hack, but with massive additional features added to help you navigate through this game's difficulty.
    If I had to draw a comparison it'd be quite similar to Drayano60's enhancement hacks, which provide access to nearly all the Pokemon while also adding relevant buffs to make all sorts of different Pokémon and playstyles viable, but with an insane amount of quality of life features added that also make many gruesome tasks far less tedious.

This is a joint project with me and a friend koala4; although I've handled pretty much everything on the technical side he's assisted me immensely in balancing, giving suggestions, doing the wild Pokemon locations for the most part, testing, and more.

Features
    This hack utilizes the Complete FireRed Upgrade engine (!!!!) and Dynamic Pokemon Expansion built by Skeli789, Ghoulslash, and others. It's responsible for most of the significant features in the hack; I'll list the important ones below.

Provided by CFRU and DPE
    Spoiler:

Additional Features
    Do keep in mind many of these are also provided by CFRU.
    Spoiler:

Quality of Life changes
    Spoiler:

Screenshots (some screenshots are outdated...)

GIFs:

Download Release Version 2.3a
    DOWNLOAD/PATCH INSTRUCTIONS:
    You can easily patch Radical Red using our online patcher which Karthik has provided (original patcher from here) . Simply supply a 1636 Pokemon Fire Red Squirrels ROM and choose a version to receive a patched Radical Red ROM.

Other patching resources if the above option does not work:
    Spoiler:

After patching, you should have a .gba file that you can open with an emulator to play. You can play on mGBA or VBA if you are on Windows, openEmu if you are on Mac, myBoy if you're on Android, and gba4IOS if you are on iOS. I'm not too familiar with getting this to work on real hardware (although it IS compatible with real hardware) so you'd have to look at other resources to get that set up.

This is playable up until the first Pokemon League challenge. Please do look at the known bugs before playing! Anything from 2.0 forward is compatible with any foreseeable future releases
    Please keep in mind this game is still in Beta, post-game, more content and bug fixes are planned in the future

A little guide on the difficulty options..
    Spoiler:

Changelogs
    Changelog up to 2.3a
    Known Bugs
    Incompatible with PizzaBoy, Eclipse, Twilight Menu. Tested to perform fine on: mGBA, VBA-M, VBA, OpenEmu, myBoy, JohnGBA
    PLEASE DO NOT REPORT BUGS IF YOU USED CHEATS. This should be self explanatory, but... using cheats will impact your games in many ways and will lead to bugs that would not have happened otherwise.

Radical Red Showdown Server
    Want to fight against others in a Radical Red environment? Now you can with the RR Showdown Server!
    Spoiler:

Hall of Fame
    Version 2
    Spoiler:

Version 1
    Spoiler:

Credits
    Spoiler:

FAQ
    Spoiler:

Features I'd Like to Add in the Future:
    Spoiler:

Join the Discord server for updates, bug reports, discussion, and more!
    Subreddit
    Docs to view Evolutionary Changes, Buffs/Nerfs, Pokemon locations, and more!
    Radical Red Pokedex, includes stats, learnsets, evolution method, held items, and more!

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
    Years
    Soup, I wanted to address something I discovered when trying out Minimal Grinding Mode. When I enable that mode, I cant seem to fulfill the requirements for getting the extra items (Shiny Charm from Sabrina/Life Orb from Koga/Assault Vest from Jasmine/etc.). Is there a way to get those items on MGM or are they locked to non MGM?

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Soup, I wanted to address something I discovered when trying out Minimal Grinding Mode. When I enable that mode, I cant seem to fulfill the requirements for getting the extra items (Shiny Charm from Sabrina/Life Orb from Koga/Assault Vest from Jasmine/etc.). Is there a way to get those items on MGM or are they locked to non MGM?

For Sabrina, show a shiny.

For the others, show a pokemon with more that 125 Base Stat in that certain stat.

sticktendo

Hat Lover
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2022

I finally got around to playing 2.3 after enjoying 2.2 on my 3DS with open-agb. Since I played on an emulator this time I wanted to share a screencap with my team.

Ziggurat (Obstagoon) @ Flame Orb
    Ability: Guts
    Adamant Nature
    - Knock Off
    - Facade
    - Sucker Punch
    - Obstruct

This guy was the GOAT and was part of my team all game, starting as a Pickup slave. Obstruct + Sucker Punch is so good on this.

Thorny (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Leech Seed
    - Thunder Wave
    - Stealth Rock
    - Gyro Ball

Picked this up for the E4 because my steel type for most of my playthrough was eviolite Magneton and my grass type was Appletun. This was great for Lorelei and Lance, though.

sPoopy (Gengar) @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Levitate
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Shadow Ball
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Hidden Power [Fighting]
    - Hypnosis

Another member for basically the whole game, Gengar is solid as ever. This was Mega for a while until I switched to Mega Blaziken for E4.

Berdley (Blaziken) @ Blazikenite
    Ability: Speed Boost
    Naive Nature
    - Protect
    - Aura Sphere
    - Fire Blast
    - Scorching Sands

Used this for E4, but for most of my playthrough I used choice band Rapidash-G. This was more consistent for E4 but I kinda wish it had the original stats.

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
    Ability: Static
    Timid Nature
    - Defog
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hurricane
    - Roost

This was originally Rain Dance + 3 attacks but I changed it near the end of the E4. Very good Melmetal check.

Greg (Greninja) @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Protean
    Hasty Nature
    - Dark Pulse
    - Gunk Shot
    - Ice Beam
    - Water Shuriken

This one went through a lot of changes while I had it on my team, mostly to use Grass Knot or Hydro Pump on occasion. I used Life Orb for the most part but used specs near the end.

This was a lot of fun but I can't wait until there's any more post game stuff other than legendary hunting. But I would play it again.

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
    Years
    I should have asked in the post I made about the Shiny Charm and Life Orb thing, but I wanna know- Do the stat boosts from the Bull Rush ability only last one turn? Cause if the ATK boost is temporary and the Speed boost is permanent, that could help me decide on how to make a Fairy or Fighting type only run work.

Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    Question for y'all, anybody use mega Kangaskhan? Im trying to get seismic toss on it, and the docs list it as an egg move, but when i go to the heart scale guy, its not listed as an option? Also, no pokemon in the "monster" egg group can learn seismic toss, so I can't pass it the old fashion way. Is this a bug or am i missing something?

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2023
    Hi there, just finished the game in Hardcore minimal grinding mode.

Just wanted to say, really nice rom :) Kept me entertain for a lot of hours, and will certainly do again, since i'm thinking about trying again with different team.
    It's hard, but not "stupid hard", the level cap is a genius feature, that i wish would be present in any "supposedly" hard rom, the amounts of 'mons you can find allow a lot of flexibility on teams... really really nice !

ps : if anyone know a rom with that much quality (even tho, from what i saw until now, there's nothing near it) and difficulty, i would love a share !

Last edited:
    Years
    Hi there, just finished the game in Hardcore minimal grinding mode.

Just wanted to say, really nice rom :) Kept me entertain for a lot of hours, and will certainly do again, since i'm thinking about trying again with different team.
    It's hard, but not "stupid hard", the level cap is a genius feature, that i wish would be present in any "supposedly" hard rom, the amounts of 'mons you can find allow a lot of flexibility on teams... really really nice !

ps : if anyone know a rom with that much quality (even tho, from what i saw until now, there's nothing near it) and difficulty, i would love a share !

thanks friend. two recommendations you would surely enjoy:
    Inclement Emerald, really similar to Radical Red but with based off Emerald.

Unbound, option of high difficulty with the perk of being set in a completely original region, has a custom storyline and many cutting edge features. Doesn't have the QOL of RR but a fantastic game in its own right. Also worth noting the battle engine that made RR possible was made by the creator of this hack.

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2024
    I dont know if it's been reported or not, but I have discovered that Bunnelby cannot evolve into a male Diggersby. I caught five different Bunnelby (three male and two female) and evolved them all, and they all became a female Diggersby. It's not gamebreaking, but just something odd I noticed.

This happened to me too and it's annoying, though I realize some people have real problems. Edit: This apparently only happens to to Bunnelbys with Huge Power.

I decided to play this game yet again to see the new updates and it's gotten better.

Edit: Seismic Toss is not an available egg move for Kangaskhan...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2022
    @Soupercell, I know you mentioned that you were looking to add more areas on the map so that it's less squished. Maybe consider adding something where the cut "lost city" was located in the Red/Green beta as pointed out in this video at around 7:40

https://youtu.be/esIL1W_QBns

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
    Years
    Once again, I have overcome the Elite 4 and added a new team to the Hall of Fame.

Persian- Timid Nature, Choice Specs, Feline Prowess. Hyper Voice/Thunderbolt/Surf/Power Gem.
    My OG Special Attacker.

Heatmor- Timid Nature, Choice Scarf, Fatal Precision. Focus Blast/Inferno/Giga Drain/Hidden Power Dark
    Second place Special Attacker. Hitting Focus Blasts with this was so much fun.

Meganium- Modest Nature, Big Root, Triage. Giga Drain/Draining Kiss/Aromatherepy/Ancientpower
    Built with pure Defense and Special Defense. Sadly, Ancientpower didnt give me too many buffs. But I did use it to Kiss Eternatus to death.

Scolipede- Adamant Nature, Assault Vest, Speed Boost. Earthquake/Poison Jab/X-Scissor/Rock Tomb
    Originally built as a Swords Dancer, I had to redo him for the battles against Lance and the Champ. Was my weakest link.

Floatzel- Jolly Nature, Leftovers, Technician. Surging Strikes/Aqua Jet/Fake Out/Powerup Punch
    Second place MVP of the run. Did most of the work against Eternatus to allow Meganium to finish him.

Conkeldurr- Adamant Nature, Leftovers, Iron Fist. Ice Punch, Powerup Punch, Drain Punch, Bulk Up.
    Sole Survivor and MVP of the Champ battle. Managed to set up enough Bulk Ups to take Mega Salamence's Double Edge and fire back with Ice Punch for the Win.

Attachments

• Pokémon Radical Red (VERSION 4.1 RELEASED! Gen 9 DLC Pokemon, Character Customization now available!)
      DreamTeam.png
      112.8 KB · Views: 10
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    Can someone please tell me were the move tutor for nasty plot is? Obviously, this information is not available in the docs.

Back