• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Radical Red (VERSION 4.1 RELEASED! Gen 9 DLC Pokemon, Character Customization now available!)

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2021
    In Minimal Grinding Mode you can still trade at the Rock Tunnel PC.
    This could be used to inject forbidden moves into Hardcore, or EVs into Min Grinding Mode.

Also, sorry to beg but since Lapras was removed as an Ice typing could you make a new Ice type Mega? I'd love to see that in an ice mono-run.

Last edited:

Eevenin

Eevee Apologist
    Years
    • He/him/his
    • Seen Dec 7, 2023
    This is an absolutely niche thing, but has anyone by chance converted the documentation to .txt? Some of them can be done natively in the google docs, but the impressive spreadsheets are impossible.

For what it's worth, I ask because I play romhacks on my modded Switch using the appropriate emulators. There's this neat thing called text overlay that lets me view documents on the fly right from my system! It's not a huge deal, but it is nice to have free access to the info without needing anything but the thing I'm playing it on.

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2021
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2023
    sorry for my grammar, english is not my native language

Radical network has been a very satisfying experience, although if I have a question, is there a dialogue after finishing the league that talks about EVS training in the hardcore mode?
    Also, you have not thought about removing the restrictions that hardcore mode has after passing the league. I say this because it allows different teams to be assembled and it is fun.

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2021
    When can I get my lugia ? T.T I really wish you could put the big legendaries in the game man... T.T or a custom option at the start to make them available T.T please I need it so bad :<

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2024
    Pokémon Radical Red (VERSION 4.1 RELEASED! Gen 9 DLC Pokemon, Character Customization now available!)
    Join the Discord server for updates, bug reports, discussion, and more!

Intro
    I've been playing Pokémon ROM hacks since I was a kid, starting with Quartz, Ruby Destiny Reign of Legends, and Shiny Gold, all of which helped spiral my obsession, making me a long-time lurker in the community. Although I have made attempts to make one myself, I simply lacked the knowledge or dedication to make anything happen. Now, around 10-12 years later, seeing how far ROM hacking has advanced and with more confidence in my skills, I've decided to revisit developing my own ROM hack.

Fire Red enhancement hacks are definitely a dime a dozen these days, so you're probably wondering what this hack has to offer. I personally enjoy difficulty hacks the most, which is why I consider ROM hacks like Clover and Vega to be the two best ones out there.

This hack is at its core a difficulty hack, but with massive additional features added to help you navigate through this game's difficulty.
    If I had to draw a comparison it'd be quite similar to Drayano60's enhancement hacks, which provide access to nearly all the Pokemon while also adding relevant buffs to make all sorts of different Pokémon and playstyles viable, but with an insane amount of quality of life features added that also make many gruesome tasks far less tedious.

This is a joint project with me and a friend koala4; although I've handled pretty much everything on the technical side he's assisted me immensely in balancing, giving suggestions, doing the wild Pokemon locations for the most part, testing, and more.

Features
    This hack utilizes the Complete FireRed Upgrade engine (!!!!) and Dynamic Pokemon Expansion built by Skeli789, Ghoulslash, and others. It's responsible for most of the significant features in the hack; I'll list the important ones below.

Provided by CFRU and DPE
    Spoiler:

Additional Features
    Do keep in mind many of these are also provided by CFRU.
    Spoiler:

Quality of Life changes
    Spoiler:

Screenshots (some screenshots are outdated...)
    Pokémon Radical Red (VERSION 4.1 RELEASED! Gen 9 DLC Pokemon, Character Customization now available!)

GIFs:

Download Release Version 2.3a
    DOWNLOAD/PATCH INSTRUCTIONS:
    You can easily patch Radical Red using our online patcher which Karthik has provided (original patcher from here) . Simply supply a 1636 Pokemon Fire Red Squirrels ROM and choose a version to receive a patched Radical Red ROM.

Other patching resources if the above option does not work:
    Spoiler:

After patching, you should have a .gba file that you can open with an emulator to play. You can play on mGBA or VBA if you are on Windows, openEmu if you are on Mac, myBoy if you're on Android, and gba4IOS if you are on iOS. I'm not too familiar with getting this to work on real hardware (although it IS compatible with real hardware) so you'd have to look at other resources to get that set up.

This is playable up until the first Pokemon League challenge. Please do look at the known bugs before playing! Anything from 2.0 forward is compatible with any foreseeable future releases
    Please keep in mind this game is still in Beta, post-game, more content and bug fixes are planned in the future

A little guide on the difficulty options..
    Spoiler:

Changelogs
    Changelog up to 2.3a
    Known Bugs
    Incompatible with PizzaBoy, Eclipse, Twilight Menu. Tested to perform fine on: mGBA, VBA-M, VBA, OpenEmu, myBoy, JohnGBA
    PLEASE DO NOT REPORT BUGS IF YOU USED CHEATS. This should be self explanatory, but... using cheats will impact your games in many ways and will lead to bugs that would not have happened otherwise.

Radical Red Showdown Server
    Want to fight against others in a Radical Red environment? Now you can with the RR Showdown Server!
    Spoiler:

Hall of Fame
    Version 2
    Spoiler:

Version 1
    Spoiler:

Credits
    Spoiler:

FAQ
    Spoiler:

Features I'd Like to Add in the Future:
    Spoiler:

Join the Discord server for updates, bug reports, discussion, and more!
    Subreddit
    Docs to view Evolutionary Changes, Buffs/Nerfs, Pokemon locations, and more!
    Radical Red Pokedex, includes stats, learnsets, evolution method, held items, and more!

I have been playing this game and i can assure you, your mod is pretty top notch, the difficulty, the addition for the main story and adding new pokemon make this mod pretty refreshing

The downside is that the not all Pokémon locations is added in Pokédex unlike pokemon unbound especially for newer generation pokemon, i think maybe in the future you have plans to add that in the game

That's my honest review, thank you so much for this wonderful mod, hope you stay healthy and let's do our best survive in the next year, happy new year

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2022
    Hello Mr. Cell, In the documentation, only the hardcore boss fights seem to be documented, is there somewhere I can find the normal mode bossfights?

Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2023
    How can I get a grapploct in the Hardcore Mode If clobbopus doesn´t learn taunt?

Years
    Soup with big news

This is my second all time favourite rom hack (second to Unbound) and I've played it across 7-8 different save files for 2500 game hours. Perhaps I'll play 2.3 sometime soon. Can't wait for this version to arrive!

When can I get my lugia ? T.T I really wish you could put the big legendaries in the game man... T.T or a custom option at the start to make them available T.T please I need it so bad :<

You can indeed get a Lugia... only by cheat codes. You can't catch it legally for now. Perhaps when Sevii Islands are available.

Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2022
    I've recently played Drayano's romhacks and Inclement Emerald so i was looking for something similar and Radical Red seems to be a good fit, but i have some thoughts:

I was reading all of the balance changes and, while i found the majority of it pretty interesting and fun, I'm shocked that Serperior is not Grass/Dragon (with Draco Meteor) like on the mentioned romhacks, i know everyone has their own criteria for Pokémon balance but that thing in particular is so much broadly accepted as a common thing in romhacking that it seems strange not to have it in Radical Red.

The other thing I want to ask is if there's some kind of Battle Tower or similar on the game like in Pokémon Unbound.

Thanks in advance.

PS: The Starter Region Select was a pretty good idea in Inclement Emerald, I'm glad is coming to RR.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2023
    Hey. First, I should say this is a great game. I've sunk way more hours into this game than any other pokemon game, and it's taught me a lot. But, I'm making this comment mainly to say that while I've been doing raids lately, my dynamax moves haven't been delivering the status benefits that they should. For instance, when my ferrothorn uses max steelspike, I don't get a defense boost. The enemy pokemon does get its boosts. This has been making the raids a lot harder, since I use my ferrothorn right away to stall for me and my partner as we chip away most of its health before the raid pokemon starts koing us for massive attack boosts. I don't think I've overlooekd anything that might be stopping me besides a glitch, since this has been happening across multiple raids.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2022
    is there a possibility that you'll include other regions' MC? really looking forward to Dawn and Lucas.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2022
    Man, let me tell you, ive been a fan of the Pokemon IP since it was created, playing the games since gen1 (god im old) and never missed a single gen, and played about every single decent romhack out there
    And radical red is, by far, the most fun ive had with the frachise, ever
    I dont get how difficult would be for GameFreak to actually make a hard mode on the mainline games, they are so easy its laughable, sometimes i feel like im playing Peppa Pig : Golden Boots
    Hardcore mode was really fun although extremely unfair, but thats the point nonetheless
    Props to you and the team, absolutely amazing and outsanding job, and all the inclement emerald QoL additions is a massive upgrade, those little details are so important
    Is there any way to contribute, like a Patreon or something?

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    Ace Trainers with Megas on Victory Road was the most dreadful decision in this game because I need to get out to heal after each fight and all the puzzles are reset. Unnecessarily annoying that don't add anything to the challenge.

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2022
    got some little previews for the next update (which is still a while away, but it'll be worth it!)

big shoutouts to buffel salt for these two ideas from inclement emerald:
    Spoiler:

Portable PC!!! I know you guys are dying to use this in the Pokemon League, but it won't work there :p
    Spoiler:

Instant text, instant hp bar and exp for much quicker gameplay (shoutouts to thexaman for implementing this in pokemerald which I ported to CFRU)
    Spoiler:

Swap in Pokemon menu with the select button
    Spoiler:

Nature Changer in Pokemon Center now has an option to view the current Level Cap, and an option to swap genders for Pokemon! The struggles of Male Combee are finally over :O
    Spoiler:

Pressing B in Auto Run let's you walk (a feature that's been requested since probably the first release lol)
    Spoiler:

B for faster surfing, also affected by auto run!
    Spoiler:

Something new: puzzle battles! complete these to get benefits like the pokevial, and infinite repel!
    Spoiler:

and least but definitely not least, we got hisuian forms in the game! these were commissioned from a spriter named Terminaut, who has experience creating sprites for Gen 3 ROM hacks along with Pokemon essentials. he's done a brilliant job with these sprites and he's been working on these sprites quickly for reasonable rates, definitely give him a look if you want some custom sprites for your games :)
    Spoiler:

for now, these pokemon will have custom data until the games come out. Stone Axe is also in the game, and is a 120 BP Rock Physical Move that drops Def/SpDef on hit (Close Combat effect), which is even powered up by Blademaster. This move is exclusive to Kleavor and Kabutops!!

another thing I felt like I was having trouble with was having some sort of exploration feel for post game. Since every Pokemon could already be found in the wild in the main game, it would probably make exploring post game feel very empty. So, I've decided to add some custom regional variants as well. There'll be one line from each region, and many will have unique/uncommon typings. Here's a gorgeous Milotic form with Ground/Fairy typing, which is quite an amazing offensive typing, and not too shabby on the defensive side either! Serene Grace is an absurd combo with Moonblast and Scorching Sands. The custom regional variants are also sprited by the big Term, be sure to check out his other work if you're fan!

And if you're annoyed that these are restricted to postgame, there will be an egg obtainable in the midgame that hatches into any of the custom regional variants. They're all quite powerful Pokemon to complement their late game status.

we've also got Darkster revamping the Wild Docs to be far more visually appealing and accessible, some revamps are happening to other documentation as well.

post game is in the works with this update so it's still many a miles away, but I'll make sure it's worth it.
    thank you for continuing to play radical red, love y'all <3

Hi! Ran into this hack and loving everything about it - best romhack by far!

Blastoise is my favourite pokemon and I noticed you've decided to use his Heartgold/Sousilver iteration, which is considered to be one of its ugliest sprites lol. Any chance of this being changed to its D/P/Pl rendition instead?

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2021
    Just wanted to say thank you for making one of the best Pokémon romhacks I've ever played.

Not sure if the main link needs to be updated, the discord appears to be shutting down. Or the mods are trolling everyone for new years eve. My attempts to find out why (along with several others who were asking) were met with insults from the moderators so maybe nothing of value was lost.

Looking forward to the next update when it's ready. Still have 6 more monotype runs to finish!

Years
    Ace Trainers with Megas on Victory Road was the most dreadful decision in this game because I need to get out to heal after each fight and all the puzzles are reset. Unnecessarily annoying that don't add anything to the challenge.

None of these fights at Victory Road are mandatory, from what I can tell. I prefer fighting against them after defeating the Pokémon League.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2022
    Well lets be honest, the pokevial with 3/4 stacks + the portable pc would solve most of those problems

Back