• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Rumours

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
During the Pokémon craze of the late 90's, before the internet was as accessible and commonly used as it is today, rumours about hidden Pokemon and items, Pokégods, a secret garden, a Mew under a truck, etc. spread like wildfire across the various playgrounds all around the world, and it largely the reason to why it stayed popular for as long as it did. Started by the pre-internet trolls and people who wanted to appear cool in front of their friends, they traversed from person to person, and it didn't take long before it was hard to distinguish the 1% truth from the 99% lies, and it resulted in a lot of wasted time trying to act out whatever crazy methods these rumours brought along with them.

Which rumours have you heard of during your time in the fandom? Which are your favourite? Where did you hear of them and have you tried out any?

No need to answer the questions, they're just there to give some idea about what to talk about :)

Guest123_x1

Early on, I remember the 'Pikablu' rumor, namely, where Marrill was assumed to be an evolution of Pikachu, which apparently started sometime after the first Pokémon movie was released. I found out about it by reading Pokémon magazines of that era.
One rumor that I read about online that I found really funny is evolving Lickitung into Luigi, by using a rather silly method. Another rumor was "I'll give you FLARETH if you go away!" if you talked to the thirsty girl on the Celadon Department Store's roof so many times.
Another rumor, this one I really believed, is the one that Ash and Misty were going to kiss in 'the final episode' of the anime. Then, all of a sudden, Misty left, proving the rumor false, but then the same rumor popped up again about May, and I initially believed that one also, even seeing a screenshot of it, until I looked at the screenshot more closely and determined something wasn't quite right about it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I heard about a secret garden in Viridian or something you could reach by walking in strange ways. And all the eeveelutions would be there. Until today I'm still not sure if it's an actual thing that can be done in R/B since those games were proven glitchy and weird, or if it was just a rumor.

And of course there's the "rumor" about the ghosts and song of Lavender town. Apparently the song was annoying enough to cause headaches but not sure I believe people really got depressed and stuff from it. That's probably mostly creepypasta... or?

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
The two that stick out most in my head are:

Bills's Secret Garden. This one stated that there was a way to get into Bill's backyard from Route 25. This was due to the tiles on the back of Bill's house revealing a path north, but there being no obvious access to it. I'l admit to having spent countless hours terying to find a way through when I was a kid...
billsgarden.png

...it's just sitting there...taunting me ;_;

Yoshi. This rumor stated that you could acquire Yoshi as a secret pokémon in the first-generation games. This often involved feeding Dragonite rare candies until it got diabetes or something. I don't think I ever really fell for this...not because it was too far-fetched, but because I really didn't care for Yoshi enough to try this.
Yoshi_in_Pokemon_Green_by_Karite_Kita_Neko.jpg

Now that I think of it, those are some fairly high stats for a Lv.55 pokémon. XD

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Before gaining knowledge of the all the wondrous thing the internet held, I was only ever exposed to a few rumours. The first one was the classic; that Mew could be obtained through some obscure method. I can't exactly remember what the method was, but if I know my friends right, it was something about beating the E4 x amount of times or with certain Pokemon. We were all kinda content with what the games had to give us though, so we didn't delve too much further into the whole rumours business though.

The third rumour was about the space station in Mosdeep. That if some scientist guy counted a specific amount of rockets, you'd be able to board the next one and be able to catch either Deoxys or Jirachi. Of course it turned out to be false. I was surprised when I found out Deoxys was actually in the games though, haha. Well, Emerald and FR/LG. We spent so long with this one though, trying to figure out how to raise the rocket count. We seriously thought it was true though, since we'd already dismissed the regi's until we actually did find them. Wish the legendaries were still hidden as well.

During my time on the internet, I've seen quite a bunch though. Obviously I started using it in an era where they'd all been debunked, but since stuff still couldn't really been confirmed earlier on, there used to be sites dedicated to them. My favourites are still the ones about the Pokégods, specifically Pikablu :D

Years
Long time ago I actually believed that if you go up to 100 on the space center counter (if you know what I'm talking about), you're supposed to go to the moon which has Jirachi and Deoxys on it and you can capture them.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Long time ago I actually believed that if you go up to 100 on the space center counter (if you know what I'm talking about), you're supposed to go to the moon which has Jirachi and Deoxys on it and you can capture them.

Yep, I believed in this one too, and I cursed my dry internal battery a lot of times because of this, since it stopped at 57.

Another one I believed in was that if you rested in that old lady's house countless times in RSE she'd give you a Master Ball.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
My time's rumour?
When the golden Ho-oh flew over Ash and it was said to be the god of Pokemon.

Oh, and there was a Mewthree which was apparently the Mewtwo in the armour suit Giovanni has.

I also tried to evolve Eevee with a Sun Stone and it won't take it. Nor does the Moon Stone helps with turning it into a Umbreon. We didn't have internet back then, and are very young kids whom doesn't even knew there were things like guide books, and even if we do, the parents will not buy it for us.

Years
Bills's Secret Garden. This one stated that there was a way to get into Bill's backyard from Route 25. This was due to the tiles on the back of Bill's house revealing a path north, but there being no obvious access to it. I'l admit to having spent countless hours terying to find a way through when I was a kid...
billsgarden.png

...it's just sitting there...taunting me ;_;

These two both got me when I was younger as well. I was convinced that there must've been a way to get behind Bill's house, and I believed that the answer was a 6th HM- Jump. Of course, I spent numerous hours looking for it and never actually found it, but it made more than enough sense to me.

As for the Mossdeep Space Center, it was one of those things that didn't really make sense to me, but I believed in it just the same. I remember anxiously awaiting the 100th successful shuttle launch after playing the game for nearly two years, and was pretty disappointed that nothing special happened when it finally came. I guess it's kind of ridiculous thinking that you'd be able to go to the Moon in a Pokemon game, but then what else was the white rock outside the Space Center for?

Vicktor Black

Still Working on Red Frost
Years
I remember those days the fun times I had trying to find some of those rare pokemon XD
along with my two favorite rumors being of

Glitch City - a place reachable through some random events that you must do and the only way to leave was to fly or use teleport
Spoiler:

and the Mew glitch - which you must perform a series of tasks and then go to lavender town and once you reach the route left of the town you would encounter mew in battle and then you could catch it.
Spoiler:

(my friends hated when they saw me using mew in our battles XP)

Tek

Years
and the Mew glitch - which you must perform a series of tasks and then go to lavender town and once you reach the route left of the town you would encounter mew in battle and then you could catch it.
Spoiler:

(my friends hated when they saw me using mew in our battles XP)

That's not a rumor anymore, it's a documented part of the game. I've done it.

When I was a kid, I was told that you could get a Mew if you could get to the trucks in the area where SS Aqua departs from Vermilion. I did manage to get there once, somehow. When I didn't find a Mew, I assumed I was doing something wrong rather than assuming the thing was just a rumor.

Bobbylicious

Banned
Years
I heard the whole "if you get the rocket launch in RSE to go over 100 you can go to the moon and catch Jirachi" (or maybe it was Deoxys???) or whatever that one was. My friend told it to me in school, and as soon as I got home I went to the space station or w/e and the count was at 93. Then it eventually got to over 100 and nothing...
I had Jirachi from Pokemon Channel though so I didn't care.

Apart from that I don't think I've actually heard any others IRL. Of course, I've seen millions on the internet, but that was the only one that I got told to my face.

Glameow

Purrrfect~
Years
Pikablu was a hot rumor when I was little. I know everyone with yellow was trying different ways to get one.

There was also the one about Splash being a 1 - hit KO if it ever landed.

There was the Button Capture Combo that I think a lot of us were guilty of...I know I was pressing down and B repeatedly when the ball turned

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
Years
I had almost forgotten about the Mossdeep rocket launch rumour oh God.

And the Mew under truck thing and Pikablu I remember quite fondly. There was also all of that nonsense about "Pokegods" in general, though. How Mr. Psychic would tell you about them if you had the legendary birds and three Geodude or something, and that the "Mist Stone" would evolve Pokemon that couldn't evolve any further.

Silver Soul of Johto

Journey's end
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 10, 2016
Ohhhh man. I remember the button mash thing as well. I still do it out of habit at times. I also remember boys talking about a glitch in yellow to see Misty nude?? :o

Jack

ego
Years
  • Seen Mar 25, 2020
I always thought there was a way to go to the moon at Mossdeep, too.

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
Years
Buried Alive! The hidden boss of the Pokemon Tower. Said to eat you and make you lose the game if you lose to him.

Apart from that, the whole Mewthree thing when Mega Mewtwo Y was released. Everyone was speculating it as an evolution or new form of Mewtwo back when it was announced.

PokeGeisha

Breeder and CompetitiveTrainer
Years
My first rumor when I was old enough to hear it was that Mew evolved into Mewto and it made sense in my kid head till i watched the first movie and then my hopes exploded xD.

Learning more as I grew older with every new generation I learned to wait for official news and just enjoy the games regularly :3

Back