• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    Hi RichterSnipes, how do you modify code or script to get mew, from disappearing when fleeing in battle.

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    What's this? A long-dormant thread rising from the ashes? That means it's gotta be a...

Happy Throwback Thursday!

I'll admit, I've largely been away from hacking for awhile now. But I've been looking back at what I've done and I see that there's more I want to do that I haven't accomplished yet. I'll be looking at some requests people have had for Throwback, both in terms of features and fixes. That includes some of the posts right above this one... whoops! I've really been gone a long time. I'm also going to be putting work into Project Revelation, my Emerald sister hack to Throwback. I've settled on using the disassembly as a base for the hack, so I've got a lot to learn in terms of skills necessary to properly navigate and control it. I've actually made a tiny bit of progress, but there's soooooo much to do. Planning itself is even taking its toll!

If you wanna drop by the Discord for my hacks, feel free! Give your input on the hacks in general and any ideas you might have for them, or just up pop in for some casual chat. With me brainstorming ideas for Revelation, I'm all ears. I also got candy and drinks!

As far as today's Throwback update, I've got a change that covers a concern shared among multiple people in the past. Ever since I made the entirety of the Sevii Islands only available in the post-game, there's been a noticeable Pokémon level drop-off between Victory Road/Pokémon League and the first three islands. I've now upped the levels of all Trainers' Pokémon and wild Kanto Pokémon by 10 in order to close that gap.

There'll be more to come in the future, especially in Hoenn. I hope everyone's been doing well, and I hope to keep more in touch with the community in the future!

Changelog

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    Alright, let's get to those responses in the last half-year plus! Geez, that's a long time.

hey great work. just wanted to make a suggestion, have you thought about some sort of working Graphics overhaul patch? sadly ikaros fire red graphics patch doesnt work with this let alone most rom hacks and kinda i just a pokemmo and default fire red rom thing. and the HGSS graphics overhaul doenst look as if it ill be finished.

im really hopeing someone decides to make a sick pokemon fire red rom hack with its own complete graphics overhaul

also maybe Completely option Complete Pokemon fire red Upgrade Compatibility patch? (ps remember to change tm Flash to be given out by the correct person. the aid that gives you it gives you dive instead of flash by default.)
    Thanks! Here's hoping there's more to come.

I'm guessing you're referring to this PokéMMO patch and this incomplete graphics overhaul patch? It doesn't look like either one is finished. I'm actually interested in having a finished HG/SS graphics pack myself! I'd feature it as some sort of option for Throwback if it were available. I'm not looking to make it myself at this point in time, though. Such a patch wouldn't be just for Throwback. I imagine that any overworld graphics patch would be compatible with all FireRed hacks based on binary editing.

As for the Complete FireRed Upgrade, that's a ROM base all in itself. I'd have to rebuild Throwback entirely off of it in order for my hack to be compatible with it. I'm not gonna leave the idea of rebuilding Throwback in the future off the table. But don't count on it being with the Complete FR Upgrage project if I do.
    Hey, really love the mod!
    I have a question about in-game trades. So I got to the girl near the tunnel between Cerulean and Vermilion, and she's asked me for a female Nidoran. I gave it to her, and she gave me Mr.Nido in exchange. This is a trade from Leaf Green. Where do I trade a male Nidoran for Ms.Nido? Since in-game traded pokemon have names, it'd be nice to have a collection. Or is there no place to for an additional trade?
    I'm happy you've enjoyed the hack! I'm always thrilled to hear people having fun with my work.

That trade is not in Throwback. I switched it out in favor of the female Nidoran for Mr. Nido trade in order to make an "ideal" singular version of FR/LG, as part of my "deversionizing" efforts. Expanding the amount of trades in game is possible, but it's more painful than you'd think.
    Hi RichterSnipes, how do you modify code or script to get mew, from disappearing when fleeing in battle.
    You mean from running away? I could alter the Mew script to behave the way you're asking me to, but I'm pretty sure that that's not how the other legendary battles in FR/LG work. Is this something that you're looking to personally change for your own experience?
    Hey, just wondering about a weird glitch I experienced.. Shelder didnt learn Water Clamp @41..
    Which patches are you using? With FR/LG's standard move progression, Shellder doesn't learn Clamp until Level 43. Level 41 is for R/S/E. If you're using the Custom Learnset Changes patch, I couldn't tell you off the top of my head when it'd learn that.

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    Hi RichterSnipes, happy to hear that throwback is getting updates and hope things are going well, also the mew thing I questioned about doesn't need changes it good the way it is.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    Hi RichterSnipes, happy to hear that throwback is getting updates and hope things are going well, also the mew thing I questioned about doesn't need changes it good the way it is.
    Thanks! Things could be going better, but hey. It could also be way, way worse than it is right now. Gotchu on the Mew thing.

I've taken a look at how some of the more recent "sideshow" Pokémon hacks, and I'm absolutely floored at how decked-out they are in terms of features, mechanics, included Pokémon/moves, and graphics. Almost feels like they're fan games! Some amazing stuff here. It's not the kind of thing I'm looking to do (for my personal hacks, at least), but I can't help but be impressed by what the community can still do with these old games.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2021
    Glad this is getting updates again! And just as I got back into Pokémon. I have a question: I realize it might be outside the scope of this hack, but are there any plans for a more difficult mode/patch (around the level of a Drayano hack)?

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    Glad this is getting updates again! And just as I got back into Pokémon. I have a question: I realize it might be outside the scope of this hack, but are there any plans for a more difficult mode/patch (around the level of a Drayano hack)?
    Welcome to the world of Pokémon hacking! You don't have to look far to see some pretty great stuff.

Throwback aims to be an improved vanilla experience. Normally I'd say that something like a "hard mode" out of the scope of Throwback, but it's not like the idea of difficulty settings is a foreign one to the official games. B2/W2 have them. I could see myself adding something like the extent that those modes go (level changes, AI changes, IV changes, extra Pokémon for bosses). If I were to do that, it'd absolutely be an optional thing. And it'd be a very low priority for me. But it wouldn't be on the "hardcore" level of a Drayano hack.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2021
    Hi RichterSnipes thanks for getting back to me! I actually forget what happened with Shelder.. but Im having issues atm with obtaining:

1. Hitmonchan (selected Hitmonlee)
    2. More than 1 Eeve Evolution (Evolved jolteon)
    3. Kabuto/tops (I selected Omanyte/star)
    4. The third starter mon. (Already have bulb and got squirt from Gary).

Apologize if this has been answered before. I remember you mentioning something about smashing rocks in a tunnel for the other fossil or maybe the other hitmon? But I broke rocks in whichever area for hours and i remember it not working.

Thanks so much!!

Ian

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2022
    Im having issues atm with obtaining:

4. The third starter mon. (Already have bulb and got squirt from Gary.
    Ian
    Your first 2 questions reqire breeding with ditto to get eggs of these pokemon...?

PS- I'm a fan of classic hacks like Throwback (and FR251+), but would like to know about similar hacks with later gen evolutions added. Can anyone recommend any?

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Your first 2 questions reqire breeding with ditto to get eggs of these pokemon...?

PS- I'm a fan of classic hacks like Throwback (and FR251+), but would like to know about similar hacks with later gen evolutions added. Can anyone recommend any?

Perfect emerald 2.0 look on youtube

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    Hi RichterSnipes thanks for getting back to me! I actually forget what happened with Shelder.. but Im having issues atm with obtaining:

4. The third starter mon. (Already have bulb and got squirt from Gary).

Apologize if this has been answered before. I remember you mentioning something about smashing rocks in a tunnel for the other fossil or maybe the other hitmon? But I broke rocks in whichever area for hours and i remember it not working.

Thanks so much!!

Ian
    You're welcome, I'm just sorry it took me so long to do it.

For questions 1 and 2: It's funny how many people have asked how to obtain more Eevee or get more Hitmon Pokémon. I guess the idea of breeding with a Ditto isn't as ubiquitous as I take it to be. Nothing at you specifically, it really has been asked a lot.

3: You can obtain more Fossils by using Rock Smash on the rocks at Cerulean Cave. You'll only be able to have one of each Fossil in your inventory at once, as they are still Key Items.
    4: The final Kanto starter is obtained by clearing Mixed Mode at the Trainer Tower.

These are all answered in the various documentation included with the hack download. If you have any more questions, check that out first to see if they're answered there.

Last edited:

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    Perfect emerald 2.0 look on youtube
    That feels like an enigma of a hack. There used to be a thread on PC for it not too long ago, but that's disappeared since then. There's the YouTube video, a Reddit thread announcing it, and the MediaFire download link. There's also a website for it that looks kinda sus. If there's a Discord server for it or something, I'm not aware of it.

I remember it being posted about in my Discord awhile ago. I thought I had been beaten in my attempts to make my dream Emerald hack, but on further inspection it seems a bit more different from what I thought it'd be. Not really sure what to make of the whole thing now.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2022
    The Sevii Islands are no longer accessible until after you beat the Elite Four, you'll receive the National Pokédex after you beat the game regardless of how many Pokémon you've caught, and you can obtain non-Kanto Pokémon whenever you want. This is all meant to streamline game progression and give the opportunity to use non-Kanto Pokémon in the main story.
    Does this mean the locations of all the gen2 pokemon originally encountered in Sevii have been changed and added to kanto? You can catch heracross, sneasel etc in kanto ?
    If so, the documentation does not have these new locations listed. Do help me clarify this. Thanks!

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    Does this mean the locations of all the gen2 pokemon originally encountered in Sevii have been changed and added to kanto? You can catch heracross, sneasel etc in kanto ?
    If so, the documentation does not have these new locations listed. Do help me clarify this. Thanks!
    It means the opposite of that. All Johto Pokémon available in the wild are available on the Sevii Islands. Kanto is strictly Kanto Pokémon outside of Johto evolutions.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2022
    It means the opposite of that. All Johto Pokémon available in the wild are available on the Sevii Islands. Kanto is strictly Kanto Pokémon outside of Johto evolutions.
    Ok that sounds clean.
    The "non kanto pokemon" you mention are infact non-kanto EVOLUTIONS. Guess i confused myself 😅

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2021
    RichterSnipes, thanks so much! I actually got the fossil (dome) after re-reading your FAQ. I guess I skipped tye FAQ as I thought it wasn't updated as this thread was.

Interestly enough I was actually able to store Old Amber, Dome, and Helix fossils all at once. Maybe it's a glitch because I've gotten and decoded 2 already and the gane doesn't count it?

Thanks and that's no problem at all, I've just never bred in poke.. sounds crazy but I never played anything beyond kanto except crystal when I was super young. I'm assuming off the top of my head you "transform" when I battle a Hitmonchan, switch mon, defeat trainer, and go to breeder?

Ill figure it out lol. Eevee is a toughy though, I don't even know if I've encountered a Flareon. Or at least the dex doesn't show it.

Thanks again man! Love the mod.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2024
    Thanks and that's no problem at all, I've just never bred in poke.. sounds crazy but I never played anything beyond kanto except crystal when I was super young. I'm assuming off the top of my head you "transform" when I battle a Hitmonchan, switch mon, defeat trainer, and go to breeder?

You go to the daycare on Sevii Islands that takes two Pokemon (the one under Cerulean doesn't) and stuff in whatever you want to breed with a Ditto for a no-brainer. Otherwise there's lots of egg groups and you need a female mon to inherit the species with any matching male from the egg group.
    Tyrogue's evolution depends on its stats when it levels up. Atk higher than def becomes Hitmonlee, def higher than atk becomes Hitmonchan and if both is the same it becomes Hitmontop.

Back