• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Throwback v211001: Kanto, Your Way

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    RichterSnipes, thanks so much! I actually got the fossil (dome) after re-reading your FAQ. I guess I skipped tye FAQ as I thought it wasn't updated as this thread was.

Interestly enough I was actually able to store Old Amber, Dome, and Helix fossils all at once. Maybe it's a glitch because I've gotten and decoded 2 already and the gane doesn't count it?

Thanks and that's no problem at all, I've just never bred in poke.. sounds crazy but I never played anything beyond kanto except crystal when I was super young. I'm assuming off the top of my head you "transform" when I battle a Hitmonchan, switch mon, defeat trainer, and go to breeder?

Ill figure it out lol. Eevee is a toughy though, I don't even know if I've encountered a Flareon. Or at least the dex doesn't show it.

Thanks again man! Love the mod.
    You're very welcome! I appreciate the love, too.

You can always have one of each Fossil (Helix, Dome, and Old Amber) no matter how many Omanyte, Kabuto, or Aerodactyl you revive.

Astralaria's got your question covered. I guess this hack is right at home for you compared to others, then! I know it doesn't dare to accomplish as much as some of the more involved hacks do, but I'm plenty satisfied to be able to provide something that feels right at home with the base game while adding to what's already there.
    just finished a playthrough of this and want to say: thank you! i really enjoyed this.
    No problem, happy you had a great time!

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2022
    It means the opposite of that. All Johto Pokémon available in the wild are available on the Sevii Islands. Kanto is strictly Kanto Pokémon outside of Johto evolutions.
    Hi again Richter, are ALL gen2 pokemon possible to catch in sevii? I see you've added some in neat locations, but don't see mareep for example...
    Any in the altering cave?

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    Hi again Richter, are ALL gen2 pokemon possible to catch in sevii? I see you've added some in neat locations, but don't see mareep for example...
    Any in the altering cave?
    Any Pokémon that would have appeared in Altering Cave in the base game will appear there in Throwback. Right now they all appear there normally, but I hope to put in a trigger at some point that makes the cave behave more like it was intended to. As in, only one Pokémon appears there at a time, and something will trigger that Pokémon changing.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2021
    Hey guys, not to thread jack but I put jolteon and s ditto together and walked around a bit. Checked back in with the old man but he said "they don't seem to like each other much..". Not a poke master but pretty sure they won't be making eggs? Haha sorry for the newb replies, thanks for answering them

And richter snipes I love this mod because as many of us in the auto community say it's a "resto-mod", the best of both worlds.

Years
    • Seen May 18, 2024
    Hey guys, not to thread jack but I put jolteon and s ditto together and walked around a bit. Checked back in with the old man but he said "they don't seem to like each other much..". Not a poke master but pretty sure they won't be making eggs? Haha sorry for the newb replies, thanks for answering them

They will, it just takes longer. Different mons, same trainer has the lowest rate. Same mon, same trainer is in the middle (as is different mon, different trainer), best is same mon, different trainer. Only ones that won't produce eggs say "The two prefer to play with other Pokémon more than with each other."

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    Hi again,
    is it wrong to feel that the DS style sprites path should b included in the patch list ?
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=343728
    To go with the optional wardrobe change and movelist.

It is Kanto, your way, after all !
    Sorry for the late response.

You mean as a part of the hack? I don't see why I'd do that. I can't account for every possible use-case someone might have in terms of customizing the game with external patches. There's an infinite amount of things I might need to consider. You're certainly free to add them to your version of Throwback if you wish (assuming there's no conflicts when patching).

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2022
    Hi, first of all, this is the best hack I've played of fire red. It's amazing just how well everything is done to keep the original feeling in the game, while at the same time things like permacut or the trainer tower improve the lower points fire red had. Thanks for your hard work, really.

That said, I noticed two things that might be fixed:
    One, is that TM23 is no longer a game corner prize, and I don't know a way to obtain it, so maybe you could sell it instead of TM15 in the mall, restore it to its original place, or make it be a held item from skarmory.
    The other is that Tyrogue is misspelled as "Tyrouge". Not big of a deal, but strange nonetheless.

Atheran

Bored
    Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2021
    First of all, amazing hack. I wanted to make something similar myself, but then I noticed this one, and well.. I started playing instead. There's a couple of things I don't quite like but we can't have everything, who knows, maybe I'll use it as a base for a private hack and simply remove the few things that bother me. But I wanted to pay proper respect for all the work that you put into this.

One thing I noticed though, and there's no warning about it anywhere, is incompatibility with PKHex. Even without the custom learnsets (that would of course trip a legality check) it seems that any time I export a save from there the GB Player is not working. If I try to edit the bag contents it's not recognized and deleted, which makes sense, but even if I don't touch anything and simply import/export a save without any changes, ingame I see a ?????? where the GB Player was and Oak tells me it's not the time to use that. So I basically wanted to ask if there's a way to get the GB Player back if it's deleted or simply warn people about this behaviour if there is no way to get it back.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2024
    no matter what i do i always start from beginning because i get error what says that some 1m curcit board is not installed

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    I think i found a weird bug. I starterd with charizard.. First try At pkmn league Gary was using blastoise.. Ok.. But The rematch after sevii islands, hes using a charizard.. Weird hum? Can u check this? Im using The Last version playing in a real game boy advance SP with ez flash ômega its full compatible.

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2022
    Hello! Is it possible to apply this patch for use with an ongoing playthrough? I've been replaying FR and find the default music super grating. Would love to get the GB Player without starting my file over.

ElderPigeon

Pigeon
    Years
    Hi there, I have been loving the patch and believe it really is what a true version of the OG Fire Red would be like. I just want to know if I messed up or if it has not been implemented. My Charizard loses the lvl 34 Flamethrower and I know in later gen's he was supposed to get Flame Burst and then Flamethrower comes later. I did not get this Flame Burst or Fire Fang at the levels they would normally come out. Scyther also did not learn X-Scissor at lvl 41. So I was just curious what movesets have been implemented as it says "gen III, IV, V" where applicable but at the moment it just seems I have lost the older moves but not received the newer moves either? Please help if possible.

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    @ElderPigeon This Rom hack is only gen 3 relate. There are no gen 4 move. This is a gen 3 Rom hack only.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    Well, time for a massive multi-quote! Should've replied months earlier, but life happens. I've spoiled all non-critical info so as not to overflow the page with text.

Thank you for all the kind words that you've given. Means a lot, for real. Throwback isn't everything I wanted it to be, and it's gotten cumbersome to the point that I'm struggling wanting to add more to it in its current state. I'm going to look to move it over to the decomp before adding anything else to it. It'll be a massive undertaking, and it will take a long time to complete it. This is especially so considering I'm putting most of my hacking focus on Revelation. I'll continue providing bug fixes for Throwback in the meantime, though.

Without further ado, responses:
    Spoiler:

That said, I noticed two things that might be fixed:
    One, is that TM23 is no longer a game corner prize, and I don't know a way to obtain it, so maybe you could sell it instead of TM15 in the mall, restore it to its original place, or make it be a held item from skarmory.
    The other is that Tyrogue is misspelled as "Tyrouge". Not big of a deal, but strange nonetheless.
    Thanks for pointing those out! I'll release a bugfix patch tomorrow, including fixes for both of your reports. TM23 will be available at the Game Corner again, and Tyrogue will not be called... Tyrouge. 😳
    Spoiler:

One thing I noticed though, and there's no warning about it anywhere, is incompatibility with PKHex. Even without the custom learnsets (that would of course trip a legality check) it seems that any time I export a save from there the GB Player is not working. If I try to edit the bag contents it's not recognized and deleted, which makes sense, but even if I don't touch anything and simply import/export a save without any changes, ingame I see a ?????? where the GB Player was and Oak tells me it's not the time to use that. So I basically wanted to ask if there's a way to get the GB Player back if it's deleted or simply warn people about this behaviour if there is no way to get it back.
    I'm gonna be upfront with you: I never considered editing a save file with the GB Player in it before. I guess that's just how PKHeX deals with invalid items. I could always consider editing a Key Item from Ruby/Sapphire into the GB Player and see if that passes without issue.
    I think i found a weird bug. I starterd with charizard.. First try At pkmn league Gary was using blastoise.. Ok.. But The rematch after sevii islands, hes using a charizard.. Weird hum? Can u check this? Im using The Last version playing in a real game boy advance SP with ez flash ômega its full compatible.
    I've responded to you in the Discord server. I've tried out your save files, and I wasn't able to reproduce your issues.
    Hello! Is it possible to apply this patch for use with an ongoing playthrough? I've been replaying FR and find the default music super grating. Would love to get the GB Player without starting my file over.
    Of course! That's what the Save Compatibility patch is for. Just apply that on top of an existing save file along with Throwback and speak to the 2F attendant at any Pokemon Center in the game.
    Spoiler:
    My Charizard loses the lvl 34 Flamethrower and I know in later gen's he was supposed to get Flame Burst and then Flamethrower comes later. I did not get this Flame Burst or Fire Fang at the levels they would normally come out. Scyther also did not learn X-Scissor at lvl 41. So I was just curious what movesets have been implemented as it says "gen III, IV, V" where applicable but at the moment it just seems I have lost the older moves but not received the newer moves either? Please help if possible.
    There are no moves past Gen III in the hack. The "Gen III, IV, and V moveset" statement applies to moves available in Gen III that a given Pokemon may learn across all games up to Black 2/White 2.
    Apparently the Physical/Special split did not work. Can you updated it?
    You're asking the wrong person. I'm not the creator or maintainer of the P/S/S split for FR/LG.

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    Saturday Night's Fix Is Here!

This one comes with a big warning. Unless you don't use the GB Sounds part of the hack, you must apply the Save Compatibility patch and speak to Teala, the receptionist at the second floor of any Pokémon Center in the game. You'll have an unremovable ???????? item in your Key Items Pocket and no GB Sounds otherwise.

Why is that? That's because I had to switch around the item ID for the GB Sounds item. PKHeX doesn't get along nicely with custom items, so I simply replaced an existing item in the game. In this case, I chose R/S/E's Acro Bike (I have my reasons). Functionally it's the same. Just make sure to fix your save beforehand with the Save Compatibility patch!

Other fixes include properly restoring TM23 to the Game Corner and fixing Tyrogue's name when decapitalized. Beyond that, I added some color to the irises of the player characters' Trainer sprites. Thanks to a user over at the hack Discord server for that observation.

Update, fix your saves (if needed), and enjoy!

Changelog

RichterSnipes

Not even a nibble...
    Years
    More Bug Fixes!

Hey does anyone still have any ???????? items in their Key Items Pocket after using the Save Compatibility patch from the previous version? If you do, be sure to apply the once-again updated Save Compatibility patch and speak to Teala, the receptionist at the second floor of any Pokémon Center in the game. That should be more thorough in removing the item (or items, as the case may be) this time around. Someone in the Discord server ran into this issue, and it was directly related to the Save Compatibility patch giving you more GB Sounds items with each use. Well, hopefully no more of that!

It also turns out that darthbr's issue wasn't due to the Throwback patch in full, but the Catch 'em All patch specifically. It looks like I somehow forgot to update that alongside the main patch when I switched around the alternate variables used for starter choices. That's been fixed, too.

So yeah, no actual updates to the main patch. Just bugfixes for two notable issues brought to my attention. No version changes to the hack patches (besides the Save Compatibility patch) for that reason. If either one ails you, patch up and get your fix!

Changelog

darthbr

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    More Bug Fixes!

Hey does anyone still have any ???????? items in their Key Items Pocket after using the Save Compatibility patch from the previous version? If you do, be sure to apply the once-again updated Save Compatibility patch and speak to Teala, the receptionist at the second floor of any Pokémon Center in the game. That should be more thorough in removing the item (or items, as the case may be) this time around. Someone in the Discord server ran into this issue, and it was directly related to the Save Compatibility patch giving you more GB Sounds items with each use. Well, hopefully no more of that!

It also turns out that darthbr's issue wasn't due to the Throwback patch in full, but the Catch 'em All patch specifically. It looks like I somehow forgot to update that alongside the main patch when I switched around the alternate variables used for starter choices. That's been fixed, too.

So yeah, no actual updates to the main patch. Just bugfixes for two notable issues brought to my attention. No version changes to the hack patches (besides the Save Compatibility patch) for that reason. If either one ails you, patch up and get your fix!

Changelog

thank you! you are a god dude! long live to the throwback fire red xD

gonna try it tonight

Back