• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéWalker or PokéDriver?

How do you play Pokémon Go?

• Driving is for losers, I walk!

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Walking is for losers, I drive!

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Both/other.

Votes: 14 43.8%

• Total voters
Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Eheheh, PokéWalker? Get it? Ah Gen IV I miss you...

Almost every YouTuber I've seen seems to be playing almost exclusively by vehicle and the further ahead forum posters around here have been giving off similar vibes. Simple question but one which I'm very curious to see some answers to, especially relative to how well people are doing in the game. When you play Pokémon Go, do you play on foot or do you drive around to speed things up?

Years
  • Eheheh, PokéWalker? Get it? Ah Gen IV I miss you...

Almost every YouTuber I've seen seems to be playing almost exclusively by vehicle and the further ahead forum posters around here have been giving off similar vibes. Simple question but one which I'm very curious to see some answers to, especially relative to how well people are doing in the game. When you play Pokémon Go, do you play on foot or do you drive around to speed things up?

A good question. I'm lvl 21, 76 entries in the Pokedex, and I have done a bit of everything.

Stocking up on Pokeballs and items is usually done by vehicle, either through a cemetery (yes, yes, I know...) or college campus.

Hunting for Pokemon during the week is most often done by bike, actually, which I suppose still falls in the vehicle category. I live in a fairly bikeable city and this has the added benefit of logging those Egg Hatching Miles (most of the time). When I'm playing by myself, this is my preferred method.

With that said, my biggest and most successful Pokemon hunts to-date have been by foot, though these have been fewer and farther between and usually with friends. This is where I've caught the highest concentration of Pokemon in a span of a few hours and these were outings where we intentionally parked and then walked to a known hotspot.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • Driving in NYC is for masochistic psychopaths.

I'll go as far as my feet will carry me. My car is only for getting to public transportation... which tends to be underground meaning I can't play.

Did I mention that I walk a lot?

Rocket-Brendon

The Pokemon Boy!!
    Years
  • I do a little of both. When I am not busy at work I walk around my neighborhood or go down to the pier. According to the pedometer on the app, I have walked over 50 miles playing the game. Since I live in a little remote town, I drive around trying to hatch my eggs.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I personally walk everywhere! Only played in a car once so far and that was a 15 minute round trip to my grandparents where I found a Diglett and a couple of Eevee. I can't actually drive so that does't help but even if I could I think walking would be a lot more ideal - you just miss too much whilst driving haha.

dva

professional couch potato 🍬
    Years
    • PA
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    I just walk. Since there aren't any Pokestops near me until I get further towards town, if I'm out of/low on Pokeballs I just take the trolley in for free and then walk around (usually until my battery dies). I feel like I'd have to make too many stops driving and personally I like the feeling of exploring everything on foot.

Azelf Ibrahim

Good thing I'm here! No? Anyone?
    Years
  • I mostly walk while playing, I'll never play it while driving since I know I'll get too distracted.

I also play it on the bus and train, I'm usually able to spin a few stops if I'm fast enough and also catch Pokémon that randomly spawn.

Years
  • If I happen to be in a car with someone else driving I might try to grab a pokestop, but it's not easy to get the timing right. And when I drive I don't play. Of course I've driven to other places and taken advantage of the new area and the stops and gyms and such, but, you know, I gotta go to work and all.

No, I almost exclusively walk when I play.

Years
  • First of all.. You shouldn't drive and play. Cause it's a huge risk of accident if you're concentrating on a game while driving.

I don't have a car available all the time, but when I do I'd might drive to a location where I'd play walking around. Definitely not while driving!!! And I have played few times while riding a bicycle, but it's a bit hard and if you want to aim your pokeballs well you need to basically stop. So walking is my #1 choice for playing Go :)

Talon Flare

Learning to break kayfabe
    Years
  • I actually catch Pokemon while riding the bus.

It's fun because I get to catch different Pokemon within the bus's route.

There should be a PokeBus that goes around town.

It should be called the PikaBus.

Years
  • Seeing as I'm learning to drive atm I haven't actually experienced the game whilst driving. Although on the bus to school I used to collect items from the PokeStops and encounter the occasional Pokemon but I'm predominately a walker - it makes the game feel like my very own adventure :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2016
    I don't have a car, so I do most of my Pokemon hunting while I walk to work. Some of my coworkers say they ride the bus and are able to hit up a ton of spots.

I've heard though that if you go too fast, it won't count distance for the eggs? Is that true? I would imagine driving around the highway trying to hatch some eggs would be quick.

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2016
    I'd say I do both. Someone else is always driving instead of me, when we have to travel around town, so this is the time where I get a lot of stuff at pokestops and catch the odd pokemon. I also designate time to walk outside to hatch eggs and beat gyms.

Years
  • I don't have a car, so I do most of my Pokemon hunting while I walk to work. Some of my coworkers say they ride the bus and are able to hit up a ton of spots.

I've heard though that if you go too fast, it won't count distance for the eggs? Is that true? I would imagine driving around the highway trying to hatch some eggs would be quick.

Yeah if you're going too fast the distance doesn't count. I think it's pretty genious that they thought about that. Hatching those 10km eggs would be quite easy otherwise.

Seeing as I'm learning to drive atm I haven't actually experienced the game whilst driving.

One thing you should learn is to not play games while driving... I might sound boring when I say this but it's not fun if you run over someone or crash because you we're staring at your phone instead of the road...

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Yep that's totally true! Thankfully the busses in my area are painfully slow so if you want to hatch eggs they're a great lazy way to do it (and honestly pretty nice for catching Pokémon too!) but given I've hardly ever gone out catching before midnight they're unfortunately usually not running by the time I'm out :(

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    I have to walk because i can't drive and don't own a bike. Of course my most sucessful finds such as Dratini recently happen near my work which is miles away. Nothing rare spawns in walking distance though so always look forward to that area. But usually can only get 1 pokemon a day there.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • I can't drive, so by process of elimination, I voted walk :P

It's actually an advantage for where I live; there are a lot of parks and trails which are inaccessible to cars. They don't yield much in terms of decent Pokemon, but they're ideal for hatching eggs.

Back