• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Poke-Fallacies

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
Years
  • Did you know; that Tauros - cannot learn Headbutt.

A normal type pokemon, based on a BULL - which is normal type, and focuses on speed and physical attack mind you, cannot learn headbutt. Can't do it. Not by level, not by egg move. THE ONLY TIME - a Tauros can legitimately know headbutt, is in either Gold/Silver, where it was one use TM, it can be taught to Tauros, or in HG/SS as a Tutor move. AT NO OTHER POINT, in any game in any generation, can Tauros learn Headbutt. This drives me nuts man.

What are the biggest fallacies in pokemon you can think of? Pokemon that should REALLY know moves, but can't? Pokemon that know moves, they really SHOULDN'T? A pokemon with a stat that makes no sense? A typing that you can't believe? As on of my friends back in Detroit used to say, "Man pokemon is full of janky sh*t."

I'll start with a second one by the way- Gengar knowing Dazzling Gleam.

I don't care if they wanted to spread fairy around to integrate it into the game smoothly, gengar is a GHOST. POISON. Type. That's like, the polar opposite end of the spectrum from fairy. I know, I know, it's a great move for him to know. He's specially oriented, and it gives him something that can hit dark types super effective with 100% accuracy, and spreads in double battles. But goddangit, he's the SHADOW POKEMON. HE DOESN"T DAZZLE. HE'S A SHADOW. 0 n 0

Polar Spectrum

Years
  • Lickitung not getting Lick until Gen II was a pretty major one. Another one would be Ampharos not getting Tail Glow despite what its Pokédex data says, although after the buff the move received in Gen V that's probably a good thing.

I was completely unaware of the Lickitung bit, and had never thought of Ampharos not getting tail glow. Both quite inexplicable. For meta's sake though, perhaps yeah; Tail Glow on Ampharos may have been op :P

I know it's like his whole bit, he's a fake tree - but Sudowoodo not being at least part grass type always seemed ridiculous to me. It gets wood hammer for crying out loud.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Tauros not learning Headbutt--I think that's something that they haven't put much thought into, to be honest, even though it does make a lot of sense for it to be using such an attack. I don't believe that they've thought much people would notice, either, considering how low it is in terms of popularity. It is a generation one Pokémon, if I'm not mistaken, which are all relatively well-known due to how old they are, but among them, this one probably doesn't stand out much in other people's eye; design-wise, it's doesn't have anything interesting, frankly. It only looks like an average bull. If it had something to make it stand out, then it definitely could've worked, I'm sure.

As for Gengar and Dazzling Gleam goes, well, people say that it's a shadow of Clefairy, which is indeed a fairy-type. If you take that into account, I suppose it does make sort of sense for it to be able to learn such moves?

Veil

♫ ♪ ♬ ~
    Years
  • I was pretty surprised that Florges wasn't part Grass type. I mean, it totally looks like a grass type. It's a flower.

Also, I don't think that Doduo and Dodrio should be able to learn Fly. They're based on dodos/ostriches, both of which are flightless birds. I can't really picture a Doduo flying, since it doesn't look like it has wings to fly with.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    How about fire-types being able to be frozen? That one never made any sense to me.

I'm not too sure about this, but don't fire-type Pokémon usually melt faster than others, should they ever get frozen? If they do, then it does sort of make sense; in general, they have relatively high body temperature, which could explain why.

I was pretty surprised that Florges wasn't part Grass type. I mean, it totally looks like a grass type. It's a flower.

Also, I don't think that Doduo and Dodrio should be able to learn Fly. They're based on dodos/ostriches, both of which are flightless birds. I can't really picture a Doduo flying, since it doesn't look like it has wings to fly with.

I could imagine Doduo and Dodrio to spin their heads around when flying (kind of like a helicopter), haha. They might not have wings, but I suppose that still works! When you use Fly outside of battle, perhaps you'd be holding onto their legs and they'd lift you. Weight does come into play, but this is games we're talking about, where such things usually go unnoticed.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Half of the Pokemon that can Surf don't make any sense to me. The Nidos? Rhyperior? Aggron? They aren't going to sink?

Gyarados not learning Crunch has confused me, because its Mega Evolution is half-dark plus those are some mean jaws Gyara has. It can also learn Tbolt and Flamethrower, which I think are a little odd.

Polar Spectrum

Years
  • Tauros not learning Headbutt--I think that's something that they haven't put much thought into, to be honest, even though it does make a lot of sense for it to be using such an attack. I don't believe that they've thought much people would notice, either, considering how low it is in terms of popularity. It is a generation one Pokémon, if I'm not mistaken, which are all relatively well-known due to how old they are, but among them, this one probably doesn't stand out much in other people's eye; design-wise, it's doesn't have anything interesting, frankly. It only looks like an average bull. If it had something to make it stand out, then it definitely could've worked, I'm sure.

As for Gengar and Dazzling Gleam goes, well, people say that it's a shadow of Clefairy, which is indeed a fairy-type. If you take that into account, I suppose it does make sort of sense for it to be able to learn such moves?

Tauros has like.... 3 tails...? And uh, some forehead gem, thing. It isn't very distinguished though - no. Hence afro-tauros in gen 5 :P Hahah. They are different though. For one Bouffallant actually LEARNS HEADBUTT. But really Tauros has no excuse not to. He even learns the PSYCHIC version of the move - Zen Headbutt. But not his own type's version. What the heck mayn.

I totally didn't think of what you said about Gengar being Clefairy's shadow when considering it knowing dazzling gleam; it makes a bit more sense now - since Clefairy can know shadow ball too I guess (but who can't really) - still it doesn't seem like Gengar should be sparkling to me. :I

I was pretty surprised that Florges wasn't part Grass type. I mean, it totally looks like a grass type. It's a flower.

xD Florges! Why the hell isn't that a grass type?! It even learns petal dance for crying out loud. I think that one was pure meta consideration. Because 4 x weak to poison, would practically nullify that massive Sp Def. Doduo and Dodrio are also literally NAMED the flightless bird pokemon... but can learn fly. I agree on that being shenanigans.

I'm not too sure about this, but don't fire-type Pokémon usually melt faster than others, should they ever get frozen? If they do, then it does sort of make sense; in general, they have relatively high body temperature, which could explain why.

I could imagine Doduo and Dodrio to spin their heads around when flying (kind of like a helicopter), haha. They might not have wings, but I suppose that still works! When you use Fly outside of battle, perhaps you'd be holding onto their legs and they'd lift you. Weight does come into play, but this is games we're talking about, where such things usually go unnoticed.

Fire pokemon don't melt faster - I don't think, buuuuut - using most fire-type moves (or scald) will thaw the user out, and carry out the attack. So as long as they've got some stab attacks - fire pokemon can get un-frozen quicker. That's kind of like burning water pokemon to me though... it does seem kinda questionable. Although sometimes thank arceus for burning water pokemon. Gyarados is scary with all that attack.

Half of the Pokemon that can Surf don't make any sense to me. The Nidos? Rhyperior? Aggron? They aren't going to sink?

Gyarados not learning Crunch has confused me, because its Mega Evolution is half-dark plus those are some mean jaws Gyara has. It can also learn Tbolt and Flamethrower, which I think are a little odd.

Aggron is over 800 pounds of steel and rock. It should SO. Sink. Especially with heavy metal, which if I'm not mistaken just makes it incredibly dense because its size doesn't change.... meaning it SHOULD really reeeeally not be surfing xD

Here's a big one that was actually CORRECTED recently. Flareon, for five generations - could not learn flare blitz. It has 130 base attack. Pure Fire type. Its name is literally FLARE-on, but when they added Flare Blitz into the game they were like "Nahhhhh.... Flareon's gonna have to stick with flamethrower and fire blast and stuff. Flare Blitz would make too much sense."

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Polar Spectrum said:
    Aggron is over 800 pounds of steel and rock. It should SO. Sink. Especially with heavy metal, which if I'm not mistaken just makes it incredibly dense because its size doesn't change.... meaning it SHOULD really reeeeally not be surfing xD

You know, some ships in real life weigh nearly as much (even more when people are on-board), but due to their shape--well, at least their bottom part--they don't sink. Perhaps Aggron is sort of the same, it's belly is structured in such a way that regardless of how much weight it gains, it'd never drown while swimming?

Polar Spectrum

Years
  • Hey at least Magcargo can't learn surf. I would give up on life if it could do anything related to water.

Speaking of magcargo, there's another one. Lets read Magcargos' pokedex entry.

"Magcargo's shell is actually its skin that hardened as a result of cooling. Its shell is very brittle and fragile - just touching it causes it to crumble apart. "

Hmm but wait... what's its base defense?

Oh. Okay.

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2017
    The one thing that's never been clear to me is Lugia's typing. I mean, it's Psychic/Flying, yet it can learn most water-type attacks and it's the guardian of the sea! I mean, why is it not a water type? Why?

Also, Diglett learning Aerial Ace? That just doesn't make much sense.

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2018

Okay gyarados's move set (and moves its capable of learning) is weird given its type, but you know what i find weird about gyarados? The fact that its also a flying type! How does that work? How does it avoid ground attacks, does it float 5 feet off the ground, is it capable of any interpretation of flight, or better yet does it give any implication of being a flying type? I will never know.

Years
  • I was completely unaware of the Lickitung bit, and had never thought of Ampharos not getting tail glow. Both quite inexplicable. For meta's sake though, perhaps yeah; Tail Glow on Ampharos may have been op :P

I know it's like his whole bit, he's a fake tree - but Sudowoodo not being at least part grass type always seemed ridiculous to me. It gets wood hammer for crying out loud.

The reason why Ampharos doesn't learn Tail Glow is due to the Japanese name of the move being called Firefly Light and it's clearly not a firefly. That would also explain why it was Volbeat's signature move back in 3rd Gen. Doesn't explain how Manaphy, which isn't a firefly, can also learn it.

And I was actually one person who thought Sudowoodo was Rock/Grass, probably because it looks like a tree. Oh boy my reaction to finding out it was pure-Rock was surely hilarious.

I also do agree with Gyarados not learning Crunch. Its Mega is Water/Dark yet the only Dark move it gets is Bite? Such a weak pathetic move that is a total waste of its Mega's typing.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • How the hell can Tyranitar learn SURF?! I don't think anyone can explain that one.
    Tyranitar seems to be based off of Godzilla which can swim so maybe it knowing surf is a reflection of that? :/

A major issue doing with a Pokémon not being able to learn a certain move involves Rayquaza. How come the Pokémon that is suppose to be the Sky Deity of the Pokémon world not know the strongest flying attack? Sky Attack...

Years
  • A major issue doing with a Pokémon not being able to learn a certain move involves Rayquaza. How come the Pokémon that is suppose to be the Sky Deity of the Pokémon world not know the strongest flying attack? Sky Attack...

Sky Attack's Japanese name is God Bird. Maybe that explains why everything able to learn it is based on a bird. Rayquaza is clearly not a bird, so yeah now you know why it doesn't learn such a move.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Okay gyarados's move set (and moves its capable of learning) is weird given its type, but you know what i find weird about gyarados? The fact that its also a flying type! How does that work? How does it avoid ground attacks, does it float 5 feet off the ground, is it capable of any interpretation of flight, or better yet does it give any implication of being a flying type? I will never know.

Yeah, Gyarados being partially flying-type doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It could learn a few flying moves, yes, but I suppose that's not exactly a good reason for them to categorize it as such. If it were something along the lines of dragon instead, in my opinion, it would've been a lot better. Though, seeing such a Pokémon evolve from something like Magikarp might run value of that type-group in some people's eyes, but I'm sure those would have been only the minority; not everybody actually cares for things like this, you know?

Making it part dark also would've made sense, considering how scary and vicious it looks, but they've fixed that up with its mega-evolution form.

Last edited:
    Back