• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Poke-Fallacies

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • Let's just be thankful the Poke-Stars Studios pokemon aren't real. Dark / Ghost type with wonder guard was legit in there.

Anyone wanna explain to me how slowpoke uses Earthquake?

Maybe it slowly taps the ground...until it accumulates enough stress to cause a quake?

Here's one. How come Psyduck and Golduck's Pokedexs keep referencing to their psychic abilities yet the Pokemon aren't of the psychic type...wonder why GF didn't make them part psychic...

Years
  • If you think THAT'S messed up, just look at Escavalier's Pokédex entry in Black:
    "They fly around at high speed, striking with their pointed spears. Even when in trouble, they face opponents bravely."
    And yet, it has 20 base Speed. One of the slowest Pokémon of all time. Yeah, seems about legit.

Yeah, the irony. Given that 20 base Speed you'll likely need Trick Room to achieve the speed mentioned in that Pokedex entry. Very hilarious how some stat spreads can be very contradicting to what the Pokedex entries claim. Oh, and Brock's Happiny in the anime was shown able to carry heavy loads yet in general she has the lowest Attack stat out of every Pokemon, alongside Chansey.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • Why do all fossil Pokémon have to be part Rock-type? The Anorith and Kabuto lines could have been Water/Bug, Lileep and Cradily could have been Water/Grass, Aerodactyl could've been Dragon/Flying, etc.

Maybe because they were revived? From fossils? As in hardened bones of creatures from the ye old past? Within rocks?

The types you mentioned might be their old types from the ye old past, before they became one with the rocks and got revived.

Sometimes I don't understand why the Magnemite line doesn't have Levitate. :/

GreyBidoof

You used a Master Ball on the GreyBidoof!
    Years
  • I've always struggled with the fact that the list of Pokemon that can learn Fly and those who can't seem to be so illogical. I mean look at Gyrados for a minute. He's a water/flying type, and he's way big enough to ride on. But nope, he can't learn fly. And what about Druddigon, who has wings, for Pete's sake! And then you look at Pidgey, Zubat, and their counterparts, and wonder: "How in the world are they gonna carry me across the region?" Then when I looked at Bulbapedia for a complete list of Pokemon who could learn HM02, I saw that event Pikachus had it. I don't even know what to say to that.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    Maybe it slowly taps the ground...until it accumulates enough stress to cause a quake?

Here's one. How come Psyduck and Golduck's Pokedexs keep referencing to their psychic abilities yet the Pokemon aren't of the psychic type...wonder why GF didn't make them part psychic...

Just like the thing where a butterfly flaps its wings once and it causes just the right small disturbance that causes a tornado somewhere else.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Also, Diglett learning Aerial Ace? That just doesn't make much sense.

Aerial Ace's Japanese name is "Swallow Return", the sword technique used by the samurai, Sasaki Kojiro. It involves slashing the opponent downward, then upward in a fast motion. Despite its name, the move doesn't really require the user to leave the ground or be capable of flight, as the user can attack the target by moving quickly, then attacking. That's something Diglett and Dugtrio would have done.

Anyway, a big one for me is Zangoose being unable to learn Cut. It has claws and learns cutting moves (Slash, Crush Claw, Night Slash, Shadow Claw, Fury Cutter).

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Aerial Ace's Japanese name is "Swallow Return", the sword technique used by the samurai, Sasaki Kojiro. It involves slashing the opponent downward, then upward in a fast motion. Despite its name, the move doesn't really require the user to leave the ground or be capable of flight, as the user can attack the target by moving quickly, then attacking. That's something Diglett and Dugtrio would have done.

Anyway, a big one for me is Zangoose being unable to learn Cut. It has claws and learns cutting moves (Slash, Crush Claw, Night Slash, Shadow Claw, Fury Cutter).

I've always thought that Zangoose was indeed able to learn this move; could've sworn that I taught it in Ruby, haha. Maybe I'm just confusing it with some other Pokémon, though.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • Steel Wing Elgyem...

though to be fair it's probably the result of Game Freak failing to remove TM51 incompatitibility.

Oh what the hell, I had no idea about this one - are you serious? Wooooooow hahahah.

Oh what the hell is this xD LEAVANNY; also gets steel wing. ITS BUG / GRASS. IT WANTS TO BE NOWHERE NEAR ANY WING OF ANY KIND

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I always wonder what goes through their minds when they make mistakes like this. Do you think they just forget to give them obvious moves? What about when they give moves like Surf to random Pokemon? You think they just do it or try to justify their reasons?

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • Ehudnno - I think, for the obvious ones pokemon are missing, they forget mostly. Or just assume it's on there, and since there's not usually direct interaction between fans and the people actually coding the games, and organizing the movesets- it doesn't get caught.

For the ones that make no sense, I like to imagine there's a director who oversees all the different sub-levels of the groups within GF that are responsible for deciding which moves which pokemon get. And I imagine he/she likes to push things through that don't make sense to us; people who actually play the games and understand the reasoning behind them - due to his/her own lack of experience and understanding of the pokemon and games as a whole.

Basically - I think there's someone who's a bit out of touch with pokemon behind some of the moves some pokemon have. :P

Back