• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokebeach interview with former director (REALLY interesting)

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    WPM had an interview with a current storyboard artist/former director of the Pokemon anime, Mr Hidaka. It is REALLY interesting.

https://www.pokebeach.com/news/0708...with-masamitsu-hidaka-many-interesting-points

The 1st interview isn't as interesting https://www.pokebeach.com/news/0708/interview-with-masamitsu-hidaka-at-anime-expo

This is the stuff he talks about in the 2nd interview

• GS ball
    • How the US gets the dub from Japan
    • Why Brock left during Orange Islands
    • About switching the main cast
    • How far in advance they're made
    • How they decide who gets what
    • Kadabra card incident (huh..?)
    • 4Kids changing the genders of characters in the chronicles
    • Why the dub changes the music (cheapskatesblahh)
    • 12th movie
    • Will Ash become a Pokemon master? What will happen then?
    • "Pokemon will continue for many generations to come" :)

Oh yeah, it's qorth noting that not everything about the future is possibly correct because he no longer directs it

Now, the parts I find particuarly funny

He explained that the writers were originally going to have a whole story about Celebi in the show with Ash and crew, and he made it sound as if the story was more important than the Ball's function of getting Ash to move around (in fact, he only briefly mentioned the latter part; he was emphasizing the existence of the story more than anything). But, they decided to save Celebi for the movie instead, which is why that plot hole was just left there. He said the writers didn't know what to do with the Ball after they made their decision, so they were hoping fans would just forget about it all together when Ash and crew left it with Kurt.

LOL will that ever be forgotten now?

the Japanese crew felt that Brock might be viewed as racist by the American people because of his eyes...So, they brought in a tall, white, Anglo-looking character to replace him, just to be on the safe side

I've never even heard that o.O I would've thought people would think it's more racist to replace a black character with a white one (not that it is, but yeah)

[He said] they like to switch up the girls because it gives the boys some new eye candy every once in a while. He also said girls are more customizable and you can change their outfits, like when they are in their bathing suits (yes, he specifically said that).

It's...a children's cartoon. lol. But I suppose this means Dawn's going after DP

A not-so-funny responce

The following was a burning question I have had forever, ever since I talked to PUSA at Worlds 2007. Why do the Americans dubbing companies change the background music? Is it because they just feel like it? Is it because they don't have the rights to use it? Turns out the latter question is partially right. He talked the longest about the music with me, saying that the Americans do not have the rights to all of the Japanese music (especially the lyrical music) and do not have the rights to use it as much as the Japanese use it in the show. I did not think this was because of the Pokemon Company limiting it, so I asked "Who makes it that way?" He cited a company called "JASRAC," and says they are a group who limits all music in Japan from being distributed outside of the country, anime or not. The Americans simply do not have the rights to use all of the music or in the same quantity as the Japanese, and to use as much as the Japanese show would cost a lot of money, paperwork, and time. I asked him if this is why 4Kids composed the music for the first three movies themselves, and he said "Most likely. It's much less expensive and troublesome." He also said they must have come up with some agreement to use the same background music for movies 4 and on. But on the same token, he said the Americans could probably spend a little more money to secure more music.

I would really like to type out CHEAPSKATES in caps lock, but I won't, just in case someone says something mean to me or wants an argument ha. But, I suppose it's because it's a childrens anime. But what I don't get is, say they use RBY Wild Pokemon Battle in one episode, why would they not in the next episode? If they have bought it? Why would they replace it? Or do they buy tracks that was used in each episode, so they bought RBY Wild Pokemon Battle for one episode, but not the other?

Anyway, it's an interesting interview

Years
  • I was going to post on this, but thanks for beating me to it. Hee.

Now, I had read the reasons behind the Brock/Trace switch way back then, but A) I forgot the site and B) there was no tangible proof like this. I can understand the logic, as Nintendo desparately wanted Pokemon to succeed in America (Mario and Zelda are great, but you need more), so they really wanted to play it safe and go de facto white (which explains the show's overall ethnicity). Plus, for an ongoing series, there was time to alter, as OI was just filler to Johto, anyway. So, if they wanted to change the show, this was the time.

Of course, had Kenji succeeded as a character, the might-have-beens would be endless, but, he didn't. Takeshi returned, and all was right with the world, until he was made of fail, too. Heh.

As for the GS Ball, at least, they admitted they dropped the ball. Most writers do hope people will ignore the plot holes, but would be too proud to admit/correct it.

Nice to finally have that explanation, albeit 7-8 years too late.

Edit: Re-editing on my original dopey ness. Serves me right for not reading the article in depth. Heh.

Last edited:

Parasite Pyramid

Resident James Lover
    Years
  • What's the deal with the GS Ball? As I said "GS Ball," he shook his head and started to laugh, embarrassed. He stated "You're very sharp (for us remembering that, I guess)" and began to explain it contained a Gold and Silver monster. I asked him if Celebi was in the Ball (since you use it to summon Celebi in the Japanese games), and at first he paused, as if he shouldn't say, but then said "Yes." He explained that the writers were originally going to have a whole story about Celebi in the show with Ash and crew, and he made it sound as if the story was more important than the Ball's function of getting Ash to move around (in fact, he only briefly mentioned the latter part; he was emphasizing the existence of the story more than anything). But, they decided to save Celebi for the movie instead, which is why that plot hole was just left there. He said the writers didn't know what to do with the Ball after they made their decision, so they were hoping fans would just forget about it all together when Ash and crew left it with Kurt. My impression of what he was saying was that it was all just poor planning. I asked if we would ever see the GS Ball again, and he said no. I think we can safely say the GS Ball case is closed now.
    I never forgot about the GS Ball plot. I would have rather seen the Celebi story that the writers originally planned to have in the anime series then have the Celebi movie released. At least that way the mystery surrounding the Ball would have been solved. Plot-holes suck. Regardless, at least Mr. Hideka admitted that the writers messed up in regard to the GS Ball plot.

[He said] they like to switch up the girls because it gives the boys some new eye candy every once in a while. He also said girls are more customizable and you can change their outfits, like when they are in their bathing suits (yes, he specifically said that).
    LOL I knew it XD Still, that is hilarious.

What are your feelings on the dub moving from 4Kids to Pokemon USA? He seemed confused, so I explained how the companies changed and the voices were completely different, and how it upset many fans. He just shook his head and was giving off a "that's bad" vibe. He admitted he did not even know the voices changed, but he looked upset over it. I guess in Japan they respect their voice actors and can't imagine voices changing, especially for actors who have worked on a show for many years, so he did not like the idea of what happened.
    In Japan, they do honor voice actors/actresses and cannot bare the idea of having them replaced. That said, it does not surprise me that Mr. Hidaka is discontented with the voice actor/actress change in the dub. I myself am furious over it (especially considering the new voices are horrible).

This next paragraph is rather interesting. I asked him why they dropped Brock like a rock in the Orange Islands, and if they ever intended on his absence being temporary. He started to explain that they like to "switch up" the cast once in a while, and that was their first time doing it. Then I made sort of a "that's obvious" face, and he started to talk for quite some time to the translator. The translator began to explain that the Japanese crew felt that Brock might be viewed as racist by the American people because of his eyes, and that they were even fearful of it when Pokemon first came to America. I asked if anyone ever complained, and he said no, but it was just that they were worried someone might eventually. So, they brought in a tall, white, Anglo-looking character to replace him, just to be on the safe side. Going back to the first interview with Mr. Hidaka, he had said they had to consider other countries when Pokemon started to go global, so this mentality fits even here, especially with the whole Jynx incident. So then I asked, "Why did you bring him back?" and he responded that "we realized no one really cared about it and liked Brock, so we brought him back." It appears that if they had not changed their decision, Professor Ivy might have been Brock's true soul mate.
    Actually, I had a feeling that this was the reason Tracey replaced Brock.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • This was very interesting to read. I also laughed at the eye candy response. Will skirts get shorter? XD

On the GS Ball, well yeah, disappointing, but at least that answer is finished with. I didn't know why Tracy came in for Brock either back then, good to know now. I had a lot of my own little questions answered with this interview.

My favourite bit out of this...
    Will Ash and Pikachu ever be replaced? No. Will they ever age? No. Will there be a 5th generation of Pokemon and will the show keep continuing? He laughed even harder and said of course. Pokemon will continue for many generations to come, and as he made it sound, probably forever.
    Finally, this will quiet a lot of people with that whole "ha, the fourth is the end due to Arceus!" I've been waiting for that exact bit.

The 12th movie was a bit eh, little smile there.

I enjoyed reading this article / interview. Hopefully, as Jake said, more to come! :)

Years
  • Thanks for posting that, It shed light on somethings I was wondering about.

Yay for Eye Candy! :laugh:

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
  • wow, I guess my friend was right about Japanese people being huge perverts. (just so u know i'm half japanese)

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    indeed, it shed light on at least, some of the POKeMON's mysteries. I just do hope he included 'who is Ash's father'... :\

oh well. thanks for updating us, Jorah~

Twero

ii'
    Years
  • Hm...
    I've always known about the Pokémon Master and the girls, but the GS Ball...
    Piplup is the New Pikachu, he will never evolute! xD

Parasite Pyramid

Resident James Lover
    Years
  • indeed, it shed light on at least, some of the POKeMON's mysteries. I just do hope he included 'who is Ash's father'... :\

oh well. thanks for updating us, Jorah~
    Actually, Mr. Hidaka stated in the first interview that Ash's grandfather was a great Pokemon Trainer who traveled the lands years ago and his father followed in his footsteps.

Here is that part of the interview:
    Who is Ash's father? This one made him laugh, since I asked it rather bluntly and simply. He explained Ash's grandfather was a great Trainer who traveled the lands a long time ago, and Ash's father followed in his footsteps and left. Then I asked if he would ever appear, and he responded that only if the writers felt a need to "grow" Ash as a character (personal note: we need some character development, please). He explained he was not a writer on the show and merely worked as the storyboard artist, so he had no control over what they put on the show. But, he said there is a possibility his father could appear one day. At least we know Ash has a father now, unlike other anime characters.

BDT

On my way to be a MASTER
    Years
  • Yup that was very intresting to read :D but I really would like the series to end soon it doesnt mean that games have to either this genaration to end or 5gen and finish it off. I dont want to be in my late 20s early 30s still a fan lol, im 21 now btw lol

I did hear this years ago in a magazine that they were going to go up to 15 films..and this was back when only the first 2 was out in UK/Europe etc..

Bly DX

Advanced Trainer
    Years
  • Isn't anyone shocked about this "unknown" Company limiting some of the best BGMs in the Anime?:pirate:

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Isn't anyone shocked about this "unknown" Company limiting some of the best BGMs in the Anime?:pirate:

It is possible that they could have all the original BGM, like they said, movies 4+ had the original music. It seems that neither 4Kids nor PUSA want to pay up to use it all "just" for the show. So, it's not that they think there's is better, they just don't want to pay...it could also explain why PUSA weren't using as much original BGM at the start of Battle Frontier, they had quickly changed from 4Kids (is that right?) and wanted to get things done as quickly as possible so they bought less to save money and dub as quickly as possible. That's just what I think.

Bly DX

Advanced Trainer
    Years
  • It is possible that they could have all the original BGM, like they said, movies 4+ had the original music. It seems that neither 4Kids nor PUSA want to pay up to use it all "just" for the show. So, it's not that they think there's is better, they just don't want to pay...it could also explain why PUSA weren't using as much original BGM at the start of Battle Frontier, they had quickly changed from 4Kids (is that right?) and wanted to get things done as quickly as possible so they bought less to save money and dub as quickly as possible. That's just what I think.

Oh so PUSA has to buy BGMs before placeing them in the Anime, How rediculas.:tired:

STEELIXMANIAC

Hatena de Wasshoi!
    Years
  • Nah, not really. They only get access to some of the BGM music; the rest of it definitely needs some money to accomplish.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Wah, he should really have asked more questions about the music. I mean, from what he said, they would've had to pay to use the movie music, which they did. So why do they not use it everytime it is used in the anime? Do they have to pay per episode for the music? Or per track, so they do not have to pay again if it appears again? I presume it must be per episode, which is why we get some episodes that have a lot and some with few? But that doesn't explain how the BGM was low through middle Johto and AG and steadily went up through DP and fell at Battle Dimension. Perhaps the TR motto is part of the "free" music, so that's why they always use it? But then how were 4Kids able to change some of it around in AG?

I still wonder what makes them choose. Then 4Kids music must be much cheaper, otherwise they wouldn't use it.

Sushi.

AWESOME
    Years
  • [He said] they like to switch up the girls because it gives the boys some new eye candy every once in a while. He also said girls are more customizable and you can change their outfits, like when they are in their bathing suits (yes, he specifically said that).

Wow, I would never think why they switch every once in a while for "eye candy" XD

Back