• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokeCommunity's Competitive Battling Community

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    doof, please edit your post with the answer to the topic in the op and you're welcome to join, ty :3

sorry doof, im partially blind without my specs. welcome to the club, so yea, go discuss gen 6 ou pokemon for now :]

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Username: Wind Heart
    What's your inspiration and motivation to battle competitively?
    I was hearing an upcoming tournament by one of the club in here, and I decided to check out the place for battling, which is PC Battle Server. On there, I was given the taste of competitive battling for the first time via random battling and won on my first try, that's the reason I joined competitive battling on the first place, and since then, I'm battling competitively because I want to have fun.

Experience in competitive battling: About 9 months ago, but still have lots to learn.
    Favourite Pokemon(s): I have so many lists, but among them are Victini, Shaymin, Togekiss, Oshawott, Serperior, Fennekin, Froakie and Scrafty.
    Preferred playstyle/core: I'm focusing mostly on offensive playstyle and type advantages, but sometimes I try another ways of battling too.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    omg so many members joining in one day @_@ but hey chris, thanks for joining, you get the deal, try to discuss about our current topic which is gen 6 ou staples along the way, kay?

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I personally think Greninja and Aegislash are among any Pokémon who have the best OU potential. I thought Doublade is already enough before Aegislash is revealed, and I find out that Aegislash does its job surprisingly well, meanwhile as in Greninja, its Protean ability makes the match outcome a bit unpredictable.

And I absolutely welcome the changes of how the Electric-types now immune to paralyzing, and how Grass types immune to spore-based moves, which makes them difficult to take down, and I like how Defog finally clears the obstacles like Stealth Rock on the side of my own, and not just on my opponent's side.

Years
  • Username: BlahISuck

Not much, just to have fun, really. I don't even have teams nowadays since I'm tired of cookies wiping them out and I'm too lazy to make backups. Mostly I watch other people battle, provide input, and do randbats.

Experience in competitive battling: 4-5 months methinks.

Favourite Pokemon(s): Charizard, Arcanine, Houndoom, Blaziken

Preferred playstyle/core: I'm more comfortable playing stall than offensive. One thing I need to lose on is keeping momentum and pressure on my opponent. However, I'm more than willing to make sacrifices and go for deathstrokes if needs require it.

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    I can agree with Mega Charizard Y being a staple in OU. It has a superb Special Attack rating, and a good Speed, too. Drought can boost its Fire-type moves, and it learns some of the more powerful ones, like Inferno, although the accuracy is terrible. :/ Heat Wave is a good one, too. I used it in Triples with Blaziken and Delphox and put it in the centre. The damage I was dealing was immense. Not to mention Heat Wave hit all three of the opponent's Pokemon.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    I think it'll be interesting to see if Ninetales will remain OU after the metagame has matured a bit. It's pretty much outclassed by Mega Charizard Y aside from being able to use Hypnosis and Nasty Plot as well as not being 4x weak to Stealth Rock. Drought in UU with Victini, Chandelure, and the like sounds pretty nasty, so even if it does drop to UU, it'll probably get banned.

Out of the new Pokemon, I'd say Aegislash, Talonflame, Greninja, Goodra, Gourgeist-H, Sylveon or Florges, and Klefki will end up in OU, in order of popularity. I don't think any of them are particularly over-hyped. Each of them seem to have earned pretty solid positions in OU. On the other hand, Noivern, Malamar, Tyrantrum, Zygarde, Avalugg, Dragalge, etc. all seem pretty mediocre and I don't expect them to stay popular for long. As for MEvos, I foresee Gengarite getting banned soon, while Lucario, Mawile, Charizard, Blastoise, and Kangaskhan ending up as the most popular. Gardevoir, Absol, Ampharos, Aggron, and Venusaur seem to have a chance, but I worry that the other MEvos will steal their thunder. The last three of those take a big hit by not being able to use Leftovers. Absol in particular reminds me of a better Weavile, but it has pretty major problems (has difficulty switching in and seems difficult to MEvolve).

Redingard

The Rider Breeds Pokemon
    Years
  • - Username: Redingard

- Answer to current topic: I've seen quitew a few Tyranitars sweeping my team just after one Dragon Dance. Sure, it's weakness to fighting is pretty big, but it can outspeed most OU after just one Dragon Dance. Mega Evolutions don't seem to be big on him, though. I've never fought against one and survived, so its place in OU seems pretty well deserved and won't be knocked down any time soon.

- Experience in competitive battling: I started about two weeks ago, around when I started breeding. I'm pretty bad right now and probably have invalid opinions, but that's what PC is for, amirite?

- Favourite Pokemon(s): Electivire, Barbaracle, Garchomp, Mega Charizard X, Gliscor

- Preferred playstyle/core: Full-out physical sweeping. Hoping to incorporate some Def/Sp. Def walls.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • Redingard said:
    I started about two weeks ago, around when I started breeding. I'm pretty bad right now and probably have invalid opinions, but that's what PC is for, amirite?
    Exactly! :D

I've learned a lot on this site. It's nice to hear all the different opinions. I recently just got back into battling for gen 6 and I realized just how much I'm missing out. I've been fairing pretty well, but it's going to take a while for me to get back to my former glory (which wasn't that high in the first place XD ).

I'm starting to notice pokemon that were very popular at first such as Talonflame and Klefki are now almost non-existent. Well, I haven't faced them yet since gen 6 on Showdown was first introduced.

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
    Years
  • Out of the new Pokemon, I'd say Aegislash, Talonflame, Greninja, Goodra, Gourgeist-H, Sylveon or Florges, and Klefki will end up in OU, in order of popularity. I don't think any of them are particularly over-hyped. Each of them seem to have earned pretty solid positions in OU.

I've seen a Gourgeist only once after playing on Showdown for the past month or so. Trevenant is a lot more common from my experience, though I'm not sure which would be better overall - Trevenant has better abilities with Natural Cure and Harvest, but Gourgeist has better defensive stats. It may come down to personal preference in the end (I use Trevenant a lot), but we'll see. Sylveon and Florges may or may not be OU - Again, I haven't seen them as much due to the presence of Togekiss and Azumarill. Sylveon and Florges are very similar Pokemon, so wherever one goes the other one will likely follow. I could see them in lower OU or BL.

I'm starting to notice pokemon that were very popular at first such as Talonflame and Klefki are now almost non-existent. Well, I haven't faced them yet since gen 6 on Showdown was first introduced.

I've seen Talonflame just as much as I did when the metagame first started out but Klefki I've been seeing less and less of. I'm not sure why that is - Maybe other Prankster users/utility Pokemon outclass some sets. For example, Deoxys-D and Deoxys-S are much better at setting down hazards and dual screens.

One Pokemon I've been seeing less of is the Kings Shield/SD/Shadow Sneak/Sacred Sword Aegislash set. Aegislash itself hasn't seemed to take a hit, but I've encountered more mixed versions of it to surprise foes like Skarmory that would normally wall it or phase it out.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    Username: BlahISuck

Not much, just to have fun, really. I don't even have teams nowadays since I'm tired of cookies wiping them out and I'm too lazy to make backups. Mostly I watch other people battle, provide input, and do randbats.

Experience in competitive battling: 4-5 months methinks.

Favourite Pokemon(s): Charizard, Arcanine, Houndoom, Blaziken

Preferred playstyle/core: I'm more comfortable playing stall than offensive. One thing I need to lose on is keeping momentum and pressure on my opponent. However, I'm more than willing to make sacrifices and go for deathstrokes if needs require it.

- Username: Redingard

- Answer to current topic: I've seen quitew a few Tyranitars sweeping my team just after one Dragon Dance. Sure, it's weakness to fighting is pretty big, but it can outspeed most OU after just one Dragon Dance. Mega Evolutions don't seem to be big on him, though. I've never fought against one and survived, so its place in OU seems pretty well deserved and won't be knocked down any time soon.

- Experience in competitive battling: I started about two weeks ago, around when I started breeding. I'm pretty bad right now and probably have invalid opinions, but that's what PC is for, amirite?

- Favourite Pokemon(s): Electivire, Barbaracle, Garchomp, Mega Charizard X, Gliscor

- Preferred playstyle/core: Full-out physical sweeping. Hoping to incorporate some Def/Sp. Def walls.
    hey blahisuck and redingard, welcome to the club :D its always fun to see more people joining ;] have fun discussing whatever the topic is rn :p

also im leaving for hongkong tomorrow :[ ill most likely be able to come during the plane flight, but other than that, chances are pretty low for me to come again. so yea, just have fun with each other guys :]

oh, ill most probably post the tourney next week, just in case any of you were wondering. the tourney shouldnt be in pokebank ubers too, maybe pokebank ou or any other tier :p

Ársa

k.
    Years
  • I think it'll be interesting to see if Ninetales will remain OU after the metagame has matured a bit. It's pretty much outclassed by Mega Charizard Y aside from being able to use Hypnosis and Nasty Plot as well as not being 4x weak to Stealth Rock. Drought in UU with Victini, Chandelure, and the like sounds pretty nasty, so even if it does drop to UU, it'll probably get banned.

The issue is that Charizard Y takes up a MegaEvo slot that Ninetails doesn't. Considering the weather nerf, I wouldn't be half-surprised if teams started running both Ninetails/Charizard Y to ensure the sun was maintained. Especially because in and of itself, Charizard is one of the bigger beneficiaries of it.

Anyway,

Username: Tortured_Soul

Experience: Mainly around DP era - had a number of teams peak on the Shoddy ladder in that time, and considered myself a rather decent battler. I was a regular S&M rater at the time as well. Stuck around for a little while in Platinum, then lost interest until recently. Now I'm pretty much back to square-one; not a clue about the metagame.

Inspiration: Funny concept. Basically just enjoyment, or something to help pass the time while I'm on Uni break. I'll never be as interested as I was back in high school, but right now I'm just interested in getting back into the game and catching up with those still around from the 'good 'ol days'.

Fave Pokemon: Absol, Milotic, Mawile Latias

Playstyle: Bulky offense mainly, built around a solid FWG core (Heatran + Gyara + Celebi was a staple on quite a few of my teams in DP)

Topic: Everything has been pretty much covered. I haven't actually spent much time playing Gen 6 yet, that will come in the next few weeks. As far as new pokes are concerned, the playability of Greninja and its ability to threaten almost anything with SE STAB makes a great case for an OU staple. Talonflame's potency depends on how common defog users (and by association uncommon SR users) become as the metagame evolves. Goodra, Gourgeist and Klefki are a few of my personal faves that I think will find great use in their respective roles. I've fallen in love with Klefki's niche, and there are so many slight-variants to its set that it can play a number of roles effectively, with a great typing to boot.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    welcome to the club, t_s. i guess you probably know what dirt happens around here already, so yeah, go enjoy yourself :]

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • I feel that Goodra will stick around as a special tank, that can fight back, in OU due to Assault Vest.

I kinda feel that Hawlucha might see some play in OU, but it being in the OU tier in not o sure of. It movepool is decent and its stats are not terrible. I can see being more of a supportish role though.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    ive been trying hawlucha on showdown and i must say, its a pretty decent pokemon. here are speed calculations.

hawlucha sports an impressive base 118 speed stat:

+2 252 speed adamant hawlucha = 670 speed
    +2 252 speed jolly hawlucha = 736 speed
    although it has a mere 97 base attack stat, it can further boost its attack with swords dance/hone claws. it has powerful moves such as acrobatics and high jump kick to use and it can easily pass to its teammates the swords dance and unburden boost with baton pass. it also gets encore :>

id say hawlucha is uu at best but we may find usage of hawlucha in ou tho. btw people flying press is bad, horrible, HORRIBAD ;< what a stupid signature move

Last edited:

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • Yeah, i was looking through X/Y pokemon and saw hawlucha's stats + moves and was all like hey this is better than i thought. =)

Looking at it more and reading your post, i feel that it can easily play the aggressive role or the support role equally as well.

I actually got wrecked by a support hawlucha in a double battle last week.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I used Hawlucha as a physical sweeper before Pokebank kicked in for Smogon. It was really good with the combination of flying gem + acrobatics + unburden. Not to mention swords dance. In other words, I think it's pretty good. Will it make it to OU? I don't think so, but it's a threat for sure. If you play it right that is.

Once Pokebank opens and the flying gem is introduced again, I'll be testing Hawlucha out again and seeing if it can still kick butt when the hype is over.

Zaroas

Dragon's Might
    Years
  • I used Hawlucha as a physical sweeper before Pokebank kicked in for Smogon. It was really good with the combination of flying gem + acrobatics + unburden. Not to mention swords dance. In other words, I think it's pretty good. Will it make it to OU? I don't think so, but it's a threat for sure. If you play it right that is.

Once Pokebank opens and the flying gem is introduced again, I'll be testing Hawlucha out again and seeing if it can still kick butt when the hype is over.

I'm fairly sure that's impossible due to Pokebank being unable to transfer items, though I suppose we'll see if the Flying Gem is introduced in the future. Power Herb + Sky Attack may be a much more gimmicky approach to Unburden abuse but it may be too gimmicky. In regards to Hawlucha itself, it certainly has potential, though I'm not sure if it'll be good enough to make it to OU - One reason being one of the most common threats this generation, Aegislash, resists both of its STABs and can use it to setup.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    ahh the gimmicky skyherb set :p it would be forced to rely on high jump kick for a (kinda) reliable stab move unless it decides to run acrobatics on the fourth slot.

also, i never knew pokebank was unable to transfer items :o that sucks a lot :<

Last edited:
    Back