• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokeCommunity's Competitive Battling Community

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • - Username: .gamer

- Answer to current topic: (I guess Hawlucha?) It's a mediocre pokemon for OU imo. Cool typing, decent moves, great speed. 97 Attack is very low for OU when you have MegaScizor/Heracross running around. Even without megamons if you play regular OU, you are outclassed by a long list of Pokemon and beat by many.

- Experience in competitive battling: Started in DPP, played lots of DPP, Adv and Gen 1. Used to come 'round these parts religiously a few years ago, then I lost interest in Gen 5 because of non-dedicated leads and team preview. Also I took a pretty extensive break after Mence was banned. Gen 6 seems interesting and is fun so I'm back for now. I'll probably be gone again in January once the new semester starts.

- Favourite Pokemon(s): Ampharos, Absol, Heracross

- Preferred playstyle/core: Generally some type of stall-ish team. I like bulky mons and prediction. In DPP I used stall almost exclusively. Now I guess I'm doing more of a bulky offense until I learn the metagame more, and I'll probably go back to stall. HO teams are dumb.

- Extra: I'm in university right now so I get really busy and forget about mons. :(

Years
  • I think Hawlucha is a very interesting Pokemon, but I believe the reason it may not make the cut for OU is primarily due to not being able to make full use of Acrobatics due to the current non-existence of the elemental gems (and items can't be transferred by Pokemon Bank) and the presence of Aegislash, which resists both of its STAB moves.

However, to make up for the lack of gems, it can still use a consumable item to take advantage of Unburden not to mention Acrobatics still has a solid 110 BP when no item is held. Still don't think it'll be OU material though, because it has a few common weaknesses as well.

Years
  • - Username: Karpman
    - Answer to current topic: Aegislash
    - Experience in competitive battling: I started in Early 2011, sort of on and off though, i don't think i've played for more than 6 months without quitting
    - Favourite Pokemon(s): Bayleef, Garchomp, Aurorus, Shuckle
    - Preferred playstyle/core: Defense
    - Extra:

seems kind of silly to have a group for competitive battling in a COMPETITIVE BATTLING FORUM but i digress lol

Last edited:

Ársa

k.
    Years
  • How about changing the topic to promote discussion? Like proposing out-of-the-ordinary or gimmicky sets?

Victreebel @ Salac Berry
    Modest
    8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
    Gluttony

Substitute
    Belch
    Solarbeam
    Sleep Powder / Weather Ball / Giga Drain

Obviously needs to be run under sun. 8 HP EV's with 31 HP IV's lets Salac activate after a single substitute. In doing that, you also active Belch. A 120 BP STAB move coming off 100 base SpA can't be scoffed at. This set has 4MSS in that it needs Sleep Powder to somewhat guarantee a set-up, yet you then lose coverage. Can also try with Chlorophyll + Petaya (more powerful) however you would need to sub further down without Gluttony.

What about some possible weakness policy sets? (See: solid rock Carracosta / Aggron / Camerupt) Or even ability capsule - is that ever useful? Can we find something that.. may have at least gimmicky use?

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    ahh sorry for inactivity guys, so yea, welcome to the club, gamer and karpman! btw tourney is still undecided, so, would you guys like pokebank ou or some other tier? all battles will be conducted on our server on pokemon showdown fyi ;3

Ársa

k.
    Years
  • Pokebank OU is a little bland. Spice things up a bit. Either UU, or something like that 'bingo' tourney that I saw going around somewhere. Use something like this to give people a word / 6 letters to make a team from.

THAT would be fun.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • Gen 6 UU doesn't really exist yet. The game is fairly new so the usage stats and metagame as a whole are still kind of ambiguous. I don't predict we'll have UU as a serious tier until about January / February, once OU settles and Pokemon are shuffled around to their respective tiers.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Mind if I change or add another topic?

How well did XY succeed in balancing the metagame? Do you think it halted the power creep to some degree? Was the Fairy-type necessary? What do you think XY could have done better in regard to this?

Oh, and I'm making a major official tournament in a week or so for what it's worth.

The issue is that Charizard Y takes up a MegaEvo slot that Ninetails doesn't. Considering the weather nerf, I wouldn't be half-surprised if teams started running both Ninetails/Charizard Y to ensure the sun was maintained. Especially because in and of itself, Charizard is one of the bigger beneficiaries of it.
    Ahhh yeah, I forgot about Mega Charizard Y taking up a MEvo slot. That's a very major distinction. Even more so considering Mega Houndoom seems very threatening in sun.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • How well did XY succeed in balancing the metagame?

I think it balanced out the game a little bit, but not a whole lot. I mean, they really could have done a better job powering up the fairies. There's only a select few worth using, which means it's going to be easier for teams to counter because there's less variation on what to counter. I think X&Y did their jobs well, but not as well as they could have.

dreyko

Isolated System.
    Years
  • I'm not sure X/Y balanced the meta game all too much, even with the nerfs to weather, moves base power, etc. I still feel the meta is shifted towards aggressive strategies as of now, especially with some of the new megas that are excellent wall breakers.

Faerie was a weird inclusion in my opinion. I can't really pinpoint why, but i dont think it had much to do with the dragon type. While i enjoy new pokemon and types of pokemon, i agree they could have done a better job with the faeries.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
  • Pretty hard question to answer I think, at least at this point. While weather is gone, which definitely over-centralized everything, we got Mega Evolution. Personally though, the metagame is a lot more balanced now, there seems to be counters to pretty much everything, nothing except a couple Megas (That will probably have their items banned soon) run through teams, so I do feel like once Pokebank is out and everything settles down it'll be a much better generation than 5.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Joining:

Username: PlatinumDude
    Topic question answer: I'd say that Greninja, Talonflame and Aegislash will become OU staples because Greninja essentially gains STAB on (most of) its moves with Protean, Aegislash runs a multitude of sets to take advantage of Stance Change and Talonflame compensates for its middling Attack with Swords Dance/Choice Band-boosted Flare Blitzes and (priority-induced from Gale Wings) Brave Birds.
    Experience: I got into competitive battling since Platinum. I can provide good advice for teams; though I don't battle often, I'm not that bad at it.
    Favorite Pokemon: Gallade, Greninja, Excadrill, Lucario
    Preferred playstyle: offensive in some way or another.

And as an announcement, Gengarite is banned in OU. How does anyone here feel about this?

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    was wondering when you would join welcome aboard i know, sounds crappy platinum.

and xy did balance out the meta imo. pfft, all the others above already covered the reasons why :p and the ban of the gengarite? meh :/

btw wolf looking forward to the tourney :]

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • xy is the most balanced metagame i can think of except for maybe rs. Any playstyle is really viable, you can stall, you can run HO, you can go in the middle, you can use "special" teams (tr, weather) but no one strategy is consistently better than any other. Pokemon are stronger, yeah, but everything is stronger so it's even. Fairy type prevents dragsteel metagames like late DPP and the various buffs and nerfs they gave out really give every type an advantage over another. breloom isn't super good anymore (unfortunately), weather teams aren't dominant like gen 5, dragon types aren't the be all end all of teambuilding. It's a much better metagame than people are giving it credit for.

Is it perfect? Absolutely not. Mega Kanga, Mega Lucario and Mega Gengar are all 3 very good pokemon, I do not consider them broken though. They are just very good. The only one I would consider even remotely broken is Lucario, because once it SD's you're basically done, but I still don't think it should be banned. OU right now is really good and really fun to play. I think they just banned MegaGengar though so now we start in motion the series of events that slowly ruins the metagame by banning all the pokemon that are really good and watering down OU to some sort of weird perversion of it' former self. it happens every year. I've become very jaded to the suspect testing process, if you can't tell.

Years
  • I definitely think the 6th Gen metagame is one of the most balanced, players don't have to rely on Steel-types to take Dragon attacks now that we have Fairy-types immune to the Dragon attacks. Some Pokemon may not be as useful as they were previously and weather getting nerfed means weather teams won't be running as rampant as they were in 5th Gen.

As for the banning of Mega Gengar to Ubers, it was something I saw coming. Its type combination is really good on both sides of the spectrum, it's quite fast and strong, plus Shadow Tag causes the foe to get trapped (unless if Ghost-type). On top of that, it has quite a diverse movepool that can take out most threats.

Years
  • Username: TrainerNico
    Answer to current topic: Well, I think it's balanced, due to the arrival of Fairy-types Dragon-types have been seriously nerfed(Less Outrage maybe?). And I also think it's also because of some of the new Pokemon that has great bulk like Avalugg and Florges it will be more defense oriented.
    Experience in competitive battling: 3 Months
    Favourite Pokemon(s): Mega Mawile, Florges, Mega Gardevoir, Rapidash, Cinccino
    Preferred playstyle/core: Semi-stall

About Gengarite, it's banned by Smogon rules right? Well I knew it was gonna happen despite that I haven't had a single problem with Mega Gengar. Well since it has base 170 SpA + base 130 + Shadow Tag, it can wreck everything even walls will have a hard time.

Last edited:

zygardian harbinger

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    Gengar has been banned, huh? Well, it did have a ridiculous amount of Speed, and its Ghost-type moves received a plus with the removal of Steel's resistance to it. I haven't seen it used often enough for it to make much of an impact, however.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Username:
    Strawberry
    Answer to current topic:
    I like to think that the introduction of Fairy types has successfully balanced the metagame, or at the very east halted the power creep. If nothing, it's broadened the available play styles and allowed for a more diverse playing field so we're not limited to heavy tactical offense to actually win. I see strategy prevailing over sheer force, and I like that. :)
    Experience in competitive battling:
    Just put me down as zero to none. I haven't battled in quite some time and I was best at team building and rating so even in my prime I wasn't battling nonstop or anything.
    Favourite Pokemon(s):
    Sylveon, Volcarona
    Preferred playstyle/core:
    Balanced
    Extra:
    I'm really only joining this because I want to get back into playing. I've been distant for so long, stopped coming to the server, and just generally lost touch with everything I enjoyed about competitive battling. I'm hoping to recapture that by joining this and having some nice, solid discussions about anything and everything competitive.

@MegaGengar, I was just reading about that, actually. While I haven't seen it in use much, I guess I understand why it was banned. It can set up on anything and with Shadow Tag it's virtually unstoppable.

Last edited:
    Back