• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokehack on a Mac???

Dragonzord

Metagame x Metamon
Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2012
    Hey, just regestered cuz i had a question.

How do you pokehack on a mac? without virtualization (ie Bootcamp or virtualbox)

thanks.

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
  • Sorry, but, you're gonna need virtualization. If you're not using an Intel-based Mac, there's pretty much no good way to use the hacking tools. If you DO have an Intel-based Mac, you don't have to buy a fancy virtualization program to get most of the hacking tools to work: I use Darwine, and it works just fine. I'm a Mac hacker, and that's what I've been using.

Unfortunately, if you don't have an Intel-based Mac, I'm pretty sure that Darwine and any other virtualization programs (free or otherwise) won't work on your computer, which means the rom hacking tools won't. I think there are some hex editing programs that work on Macs, which means you'll have to learn how to go in and edit the actual lines of code to make a hack instead of getting to use programs like AdvanceMap to edit the maps or XSE to make the scripts; but it's possible to do. I don't know about what hex editors can do that, but I know they exist, so I'm sure someone here will know where to find a Mac-compatible hex editor.

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    Search before making a thread, as stated above I have a thread educating you on the purpose of Darwine, while it may be a closed thread (i think) it is still a resource ;)

And if you have a PPC you could use a linux based OS and install wine on that which works on a PPC and faster on Linux

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Yeah, I use Darwine whenever I need to make some quick changes but I don't feel like switching to my old PC that I use for hacking, and Darwine works somewhat well on my Mac (well enough). Here's the link to Panda's tutorial. It helped me get things up and running (thanks Panda ;)). But, as ckret2 said, it will only work if you have an Intel Mac, or so I've heard.
    Good luck with everything :)

Dragonzord

Metagame x Metamon
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2012
    i tried using darwine... but i cant even get advancemap open. it gives me an error every time.

and i forgot to put that in my first post, but i searched and knew bout it b4 i posted lol:p

im prob gonna use bootcamp

thanks

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    i tried using darwine... but i cant even get advancemap open. it gives me an error every time.

and i forgot to put that in my first post, but i searched and knew bout it b4 i posted lol:p

im prob gonna use bootcamp

thanks

Yeah boot camp is what I use when i hack, just get a friend to sell you XP if you dont have it already, good luck ;)

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    xp....why?

would vista work?

Er.. i prefer XP definitely, while I only on occasion use XP (hacking times), I definitely think it is a sleeker machine on it, Vista is so bogged down and some older tools do not even work :\

Dragonzord

Metagame x Metamon
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2012
    hey, im all with you on xp and all. but i got a vista disk and its uo and running via parallels now :D .
    only 1 question.
    how do you ctrl alt delete?

thanks dudes and dudettes

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    hey, im all with you on xp and all. but i got a vista disk and its uo and running via parallels now :D .
    only 1 question.
    how do you ctrl alt delete?

thanks dudes and dudettes

on a macintosh keyboard Option = Alt ;).

So bottom left button is Control, option key next to it is the Alt, and delete is not the delete key used for backspaces but the delete key under "f13" and "fn"

CollinP

My Avi Evolved
    Years
    • Seen May 19, 2009
    Er.. i prefer XP definitely, while I only on occasion use XP (hacking times), I definitely think it is a sleeker machine on it, Vista is so bogged down and some older tools do not even work :\
    I Have A Vista And It Actually Works Pretty Well! It Can Hold A Crud-Load Of Files, And It Has A Good Speed

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    I Have A Vista And It Actually Works Pretty Well! It Can Hold A Crud-Load Of Files, And It Has A Good Speed

That depends on your gb storage, not having vista... I meant processes btw also for running faster. Vista is known to be a bogged down OS.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I use VirtualBox to run Windows - it's free and it works well. It's the only way I could get all those silly .exe files to work on my Mac! And I simply have not seen one Macintosh based Pokemon hacking program.

Samike360

Lover of May
    Years
  • Ok, I have a problem hacking on my mac. I was using Advance Map with Darwine, and it was working fine, but now it won't work :(

Whenever I open it, it says "AdvanceMap.exe has exited with an error, have a look at the Log window..."

Then the log window says:

Spoiler:

Please help?

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
  • Can't help on the EXACT problem, but thought I should let you know: sometimes I get error messages on Darwine where programs that worked for me previously just... spontaneously combust. Like your problem with AdvanceMap.

But, if I try again later, sometimes it'll start working again. No explanation for why it's started working again, no explanation for why it stopped in the first place.

If the problem persists, my best recommendation is to open up TRiX, check mark EVERY box (even if you've done some of the installs already), and then click "Install." After doing that, several programs that I couldn't use at all beforehand, I was able to get running. And several other programs that occasionally froze/crashed didn't do so as often.

Beyond that, the deep inner functions of Darwine are a bit of a mystery to me.

BZuma

BZuma's i
    Years
  • do you have 2 hard drives if so i could send you a brand new copy of vista. Cus i have it i think its called double booting but im not sure you could look it up, if you wanted i post it to you pm me if you want to.

Samike360

Lover of May
    Years
  • Can't help on the EXACT problem, but thought I should let you know: sometimes I get error messages on Darwine where programs that worked for me previously just... spontaneously combust. Like your problem with AdvanceMap.

But, if I try again later, sometimes it'll start working again. No explanation for why it's started working again, no explanation for why it stopped in the first place.

If the problem persists, my best recommendation is to open up TRiX, check mark EVERY box (even if you've done some of the installs already), and then click "Install." After doing that, several programs that I couldn't use at all beforehand, I was able to get running. And several other programs that occasionally froze/crashed didn't do so as often.

Beyond that, the deep inner functions of Darwine are a bit of a mystery to me.

I've been trying that, before when it wouldn't work I'd dowload something....but this time it is different.

It never works, I've tried 10+ times, every time I get on. I've even downloading everything.

I think it stems from when I had to force-quit it because it would'nt respond, it hasn't worked since. :(

snap12

Billie Jean is not my lover
    Years
  • I just tried using Darwine and my Macbook just freaked out and died.... thats a really good sign for my beginning hacking career haha

Back