• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon 3D - The Future Revealed

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
  • So they updated PokeDex 3D and it now contains all the Pokemon and more details about them. The future of the main-stream Pokemon games lies in the 3DS. I think the 3D sprites in the PokeDex will be what will be used in the future 3DS main-stream games of Pokemon.

Thoughts?

PokeLordAndrew

Emulation Noob
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2013
    I did not know about this. I'm going to go update my version now. I love the idea of the 3D pokedex.

Plasmette

Master of Mediocrity.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 12, 2013
    I would prefer HD sprites. Still, 3d models would be cool. However, they would need to be executed good. For example. they need to have cool animations. In battle revolution, they were just standing there, doing nothing.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years
  • Sprites are not going anywhere soon.
    Not on the main games.

Because you cannot reproduce the feeling of pixel art with 3d models.
    These are two very different styles. 3d models are exact and plain, while sprites leave the fine part to your imagination to fill.

Sprites are a core part of pokemon games.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Doesn't want to =/= won't do it. Especially if Nintendo says that they have to make a 3DS game. Sprite art game would look incredibly weird as a 3DS title and with the DS series pretty much dead, Gamefreak won't have much of a choice unless they plan to let their creation die with B2W2.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I expected them to use the 3D models for a Pokemon Grey (which ended up being B2W2 instead) back when we were speculating on the third version. I hope they use them if not like Xander said the games will look strange...GF needs to appreciate change not just in terms of gimmicky new things but also in terms of graphics.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    If executed properly, Pokémon in 3D would be something to my liking.

If it does go out very well, the next thing we know, we'll be traveling in the next region in a game that plays like Skyrim &/or New Vegas.

MiTjA

Poké-atheist
    Years
  • I don't see how sticking to sprites is a bad thing, or "something that needs to change".
    Or how 3d models are less weird because of the handheld being capable of 3d for that matter.
    If sprites were fine on DS, they'd be at least as fine on the 3DS.

IMO 3d models are weird in general.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    IMO 3d models are weird in general.

Not if they were done in the two PokéPark games. I've had a look of a bunch of images from SPP of both of those games, & the Pokémon in those are done nearly flawlessly.

If they keep it up like this, or better yet, refine their arts even more, then it's all golden.

diamondmutt1111

A wild summer appeared!
    Years
  • I honestly think either would be good...as long as it's GREATLY executed. Sprites in 3D would be cool. 3D models would be different but probably just as cool too. Just hope there WILL be more Pokemon games, lol.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    When is this update going to be available in North America? I checked the 3DS shop and it's not up yet.

Most likely sometime in Fall, as the games come out then also. I think the Pokedex 3D Pro will be out in Japan in a couple weeks though.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    If executed properly, Pokémon in 3D would be something to my liking.

If it does go out very well, the next thing we know, we'll be traveling in the next region in a game that plays like Skyrim &/or New Vegas.

I agree with this. Travelling a region like you do in Skyrim (even though I hate that game!) would be awesome. But only if it's done properly. I think it would be quite easy to get it "wrong" though, which is worrying.

Aquarius1997

The Horoscopical Master
    Years
  • I grew up with pokemon just like most other nostalgic fans but theres one difference between me and them

I DONT LIVE IN THE PAST!!!

I literally think that b/w is better than r/b/y yup i said it
    I think more progressivly than in the past(probably because im an aquarius who are known to be progressive thinkers)

It breaks my heart when some of you all say that "i cant imagine 3d models" or " it would look so weird, i like sprites better"
    Its you all who stop gamefreak from making progressive ideas because they are afraid they would lose fans. Once you all stop fantasizing about the olden days then we would start gettin good bold ideas for pokemon

And one last thing if you are willing to stop playing pokemon forever because they start to implement new ideas like makeing 3d models

You are NOT a TRUE pokemon fan!

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2017
    I grew up with pokemon just like most other nostalgic fans but theres one difference between me and them

I think more progressivly than in the past(probably because im an aquarius who are known to be progressive thinkers)

It breaks my heart when some of you all say that "i cant imagine 3d models" or " it would look so weird, i like sprites better"
    Its you all who stop gamefreak from making progressive ideas because they are afraid they would lose fans. Once you all stop fantasizing about the olden days then we would start gettin good bold ideas for pokemon

And one last thing if you are willing to stop playing pokemon forever because they start to implement new ideas like makeing 3d models

Very well said. Nintendo is bringing out 3D Pokemon so why are people bickering? This should be a major breakthrough in Pokemon history. I would personally love to play Pokemon on 3D and get a whole new idea on Pokemon.

It really is frustrating when people are just too old fashioned to go on to something new. Yup, maybe this is the reason why Pokemon has had no major breakthrough until Black and White.

AxeyWaxyWoo

Awesome Sauce Trainer
    Years
  • Oh, a 3D Pokemon game would be cool! :D
    I wonder what 6th gen will be like...

And yeah, I agree. I hate it when people hate something just because it's new or not 'old' looking. -.- I can play the old Pokemon games AND the new ones and enjoy them both! :D

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
    Years
  • Very well said. Nintendo is bringing out 3D Pokemon so why are people bickering? This should be a major breakthrough in Pokemon history. I would personally love to play Pokemon on 3D and get a whole new idea on Pokemon.

It really is frustrating when people are just too old fashioned to go on to something new. Yup, maybe this is the reason why Pokemon has had no major breakthrough until Black and White.

Plus we have had 3D models for years Stadium and other games on the home consoles. Sure its not GameFreak but its still not something that should be new to fans.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2017
    Cool, so a number of people agree with on this. I just can't understand why people would hate awesome 3D models

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I grew up with pokemon just like most other nostalgic fans but theres one difference between me and them

You may want to read this Gamasutra interview with Director Masuda, then.
    It's not that fans want the series to "stay in the past" (granted, there are some who are like this, but ignoring them), but that translating stylized 2D sprites into 3D while retaining its similar appearance is not an easy task. Also, Masuda values the simplicity and wide-reaching demographic of Pokemon above unnecessary complexity, and as he states in the interview, 3D is more complex than 2D and is not necessarily better.

Instead of saying that we need 3D graphics to "improve the game," we should look to more gameplay- and narrative-related matters to want to improve. 3D does not necessarily mean better--and I don't see how making the change from 2D to 3D will be that big of an improvement. It will look different. That's not a "good bold idea." If anything, it's just copying other mainstream games that are all trying to go for the "perfect 3D look" instead of focusing on delivering a powerful narrative through gameplay.

If we get 3D main series games, alright then. I won't complain. But I would like for there to be a reason for it. Honestly, Pokemon does not need to worry about its graphics. It needs to continue on the path BW began and continue to improve its storytelling and connectivity features. Sure, the graphics aren't the greatest thing ever, but it's the last thing Game Freak needs to worry about.

Back