• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon and your Parents...?

Danikamakaze

★ D a n d a n
Years
  • My Mum doesn't really say anything,
    I mean on the odd occasion I sometimes get "Don't you think you're a little too old for this?"
    and I just reply with "No. There are 30 year olds that play it, Mum :s ..."

My boyfriend and I snuggle up in bed and play it together all evening when I get home from college... Either that or we toss it up between playing Minecraft. Heh.
    I'm definitely going to support my future kids if they like Pokemon.

luf100

Team Rocket Grunt
    Years
  • Well my dad once asked me what I was playing and when I told him he said "aren't you a little too old for Pokemon?" Of course I just said no, a lot of people my age and older play it. After that, he doesn't care. My mom really doesn't care either, although I don't think she knows I follow the anime as closely as I do. I have bought merchandise and stuff but I think she mostly thinks my love of Pokemon comes from the games when really it's more from the anime. The only thing is the anime is aimed towards kids so I think if she knew I kept up with it, she might think I was just slightly weirder than she already thinks I am, not even counting the fact that I like Pokemon. :D

For some reason people just seem to find the games more acceptable. Around some people, if you say you still play Pokemon, no one cares. But if you say you still watch Pokemon, it's like, what? Why would you still watch a little kid's show like that? I don't get it. -_- I watch and play Pokemon both for the same reason, I just enjoy it. *shrug*

Last edited:

silence27

Beginning Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2012
    oh good question my step dad's like huh n my moms like jeez n my old dads like who are you n my new REAL dad is like...he doesnt know because i am...ashamed but my girlfriends mom is like that purugly ain got nuttin on my supah dupah

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Its my hobby, so they can't complain. Heck, my mum's hobby is being on Facebook and playing a bunch of games but I don' judge her for that.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Generally, my mom and dad are okay with me liking Pokemon, but my mom thinks that I should move on to other things. Despite this, I chose to stay with Pokemon.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    My parents are ok with it, I don't think my dad even really cares what games I'm playing (or even knows what I'm playing) It's not a topic that has ever come up between us. He doesn't have the slightest interest in video games.

My mum is fine with it, sometimes I'll tell her what games I'm hoping to get....she's more of a listener than anything else. She has never once said anything like "aren't you too old for this"

If I have ever have kids, I think for the most part I'll trust my kids judgement if they like certain games.....even if I think it's a bit odd. I suppose that is within reason though.

If I ever meet somebody as a partner, I wonder if they'll be open to pokemon....or even like it too. I'd hate to be with someone who wasn't at least ok with it. (and video games in general)

Last edited:

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
  • My mum thinks it's funny. She shows a very slight interest every now and then. Seeing as it was thanks to her that I love it!

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • My parents don't care. They think I use GPX and PC too much though and want me to spend less time there when there is work to do. But as for the games they don't care at all as long as I manage my time properly.

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • My parents have a strong hatred for Pokemon. They occasionally bug me about how it is "immature" to be involved with the franchise, but then I will bring up how I am smarter, and how they have no right to judge me, and that usually stops them.

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • My Mum and Dad say I'm too obsessed with it and I need to play other games too, but they really don't mind it. Heck,my Mum used to play my Pokemon Sapphire and my her and my Dad used to play my Pokemon Snap xD

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Ever since I became a fan, my parents were fans of Pokemon. My mother was the one who dragged me down to the movie theater four times to watch the first movie. My father played Blue far longer than I did. They learned how to play the trading card game. They watched the anime, read a few books and my fics (poor them), and collected some merchandise.

Now, though, they really only ask me who my favorite Pokemon are in case they want to surprise me with something. But I can still talk to them about it if I want to, like showing them the new Pokemon they might like or some feature of B/W. They really don't care that I'm still a fan of Pokemon. It's being a fan of someone else that they don't like much.

Aafi

gaitors gonna gait.||
    Years
  • Eh, my parents don't really care, it's just like any other video game. But I make sure that I take time away from Pokemon, just so I don't over obssess about it. ;3

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Neither of my parents really care to be honest, though I guess it did annoy my mum when I was younger when I used to ask for money for a new game or cards, but I buy most of my games myself now and neither of them really take any notice, they just let me get along with it. :3

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
  • My mom never cared that I played Pokemon. Actually, she was glad that I had finally found a hobby that helped me make friends because when I was really young, I had trouble making friends. Playing Pokemon encouraged me to meet others so we could battle, trade Pokemon, trade cards, etc. She encouraged the hobby when I was young. She didn't buy me my first game (my sister actually gave it to me) but she did buy me my second and third games. Sometimes, she would even watch Pokemon with me and really get into the show. She never got into the cards or the games, but seemed to love the show. (Then again, this is the same mother that also enjoyed Sailor Moon!)

Now that I'm older and playing again, she does joke about me being a bit too old for it, but she still doesn't say anything about it. She knows that it's just a hobby and realizes it isn't her place to say anything about it because I'm an adult these days. :P

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    Well, my parents not really think about me playing games, not only Pokemon games.

But, when I play games, my dad once said "You can play games, but don't forget your obligation."

So I conclude that they think playing games is not a problem as long as I know the limits, and doing my obligation well.
    And I agree with my father mindset, for giving the obligation not coercion.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • My Mom has become really annoyed of me playing Black and White too much.
    My dad doesn't really care, but my mom is really angry about me playing.

Back