• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon Bank and Transfer.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Starts 12-25, ends 1-31. So 5 weeks.

I was referring to buying X and Y in time to be able to enjoy the trial before it starts if it is indeed a one time limited deal...

You know what would be nice? If we could store a certain number of items into the Pokébank...well I guess in a way we can as we can attach them to the stored Pokémon...

Years
    Seems that way, of course though we're only assuming what their options were and out of all the ones we can think of this is the fastest and quickest way to transfer, and possible even the only feasible one for all we know. And who knows Perhaps PokéBank could have things we don't know yet which would make it more attractive to get for a full year.
    You know had Gf done this cloud back when they thought of it (Crystal days) one would've been able to trade between Gen's II and III...well better now IV generations later to link Gen V and Gen VI than having nothing again.

Seems that way, of course though we're only assuming what their options were and out of all the ones we can think of this is the fastest and quickest way to transfer, and possible even the only feasible one for all we know. And who knows Perhaps PokéBank could have things we don't know yet which would make it more attractive to get for a full year.
    You know had Gf done this cloud back when they thought of it (Crystal days) one would've been able to trade between Gen's II and III...well better now IV generations later to link Gen V and Gen VI than having nothing again.

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    This is what you are ignoring

A person should not have to pay to trade between two games that they already own.

This is my issue with it - I've a dsi. I've a 3ds. I'd copies of black and black 2. And plan to get a copy of X. Why should I have to pay $5 a year to be able to trade from my copy of black 2 to X? Why should I have to pay for what has been a standard feature, the ability to trade from the previous generation to the next?

If they want to make money, I'm not against that. They can charge all they want for wireless trades. But they shouldn't charge for a person just wanting to trade between two games that they own.

Edit - You want a middleman? The 3DS has a SD card slot. Thats your middleman. Trading app starts, you slot in your 5th gen game cartridge and select the pokemon you want to trade over. It's copied to the card, deleted from the cartridge, and you change out the cart for the 6th game cart and then the pokemon's data transfers from the SD card to the cartridge. No need for wireless access at all.

How is having to have two DS systems not paying to transfer between two games you already own? I don't follow your logic...? Because when BW were first released, there was no 3DS. Which meant you had to buy a redundant console just to transfer Pokémon from DPPt to BW. And even the 3DS makes the old DS systems redundant, because the 3DS does everything the DS and the DSi do, but better. The only thing the 3DS doesn't have is a GBA slot.

The old system of transferring Pokémon was horrible and I'm sure that, if they could, they would've already implemented this in older gens. Also, this cloud storage system will host files from Pokémon players all around the world. That's similar to general purpose cloud storage systems like Dropbox, Skydrive and MEGA. While all of those are free to use, their free storage capacity is often inferior to what you need (except for MEGA which offers 50GB; then again, it's run by the shady Kim Dotcom). Because of the size of the project, they must charge some money to maintain it somehow, and they're giving you 100 boxes to store Pokémon in. That's more than you'll ever need. $5 a year is actually very cheap considering what they're offering. In the past, many people needed to buy a second copy of a Pokémon game to store rare Pokémon, and that cost full retail price.

Finally, I'm pretty sure this was the most reasonable idea they could've gone with, because of the possibility that, if leaked, stray Pokémon files may lead to the creation of hacks. 6th gen won't be entirely free from hacks because 5th gen is vulnerable to them, unless GF has figured a way to flag Pokémon created with PokéGen or adulterated with Action Replay as illegal. Nintendo would never allow them to use the SD card for Pokémon storage, since the files could be decrypted and leaked, and SD cards can only store so much data (the biggest current one is 64GB, which is a grain of sand compared to the possible storage capacity of a cloud server).

DamienHelvian

Legendary Lucario Warrior
    Years
    I just noticed apparently, you have to PAY for pokebank? So again, people who can't afford it, are screwed. Especially since, all most people are going to use it for, are trade-ups, and once that's over, well you just wasted your money. And what happens to your pokemon if this 'year' runs out, and you don't pay again? Do you lose all your hard-earned pokemon?
    Subscriptions. Destroy. Games.

As for this SD card thing, I've already got plenty on it, but still 5GBs free. Photos don't take up much space, and most song files aren't ridiculously huge either.
    And unless someone is buying every single game they have through the eShop, there will always be plenty of space, but first you still need the SD card.

@Cerberus. I don't see your point there. Buying a better system isn't paying to trade, it's paying to play the games you like.
    I have an old, old, old, old, busted DSlite that helps with trading. I got a new system BECAUSE it was busted, but it still lets me trade for free. The broken bit is the top screen, half of it is dead, but I can see enough to know what I'm doing, and the entire trading process is on the bottom screen.

DamienHelvian

Years
    They haven't said what will happen yet, but likely it'll prevent one from transfering in or out Pokémon.

That's a given, but what'll happen to the pokemon already there?
    Will they be nice and keep them until you find a way to pay?
    Will all those pokemon get tossed out like garbage?
    Or will they plop them down on the GTS for other trainers to get?

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2016
    I think it's a great idea. Still waiting for more details to come out to see how worth while it really is. So far the only concerns I have are purchase, if you can use this with the hard copy of the X an Y Games and how reliable the service is (No Wifi, No Pokemon).

Glad they haven't made Pokemon like Skylanders..

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Then tell me this - With all the added features, how large do you think a pkm file would be?

Right now, a gen 5 pkm file? 136 bytes. Run the math, see how many to a single MB, and you'll see that your arguement about having to constantly get new sd cards to hold them is foolish.

Say the files jumped to 1 kb in size - Increasing their size ten times over. 1024 to a mb. 1024 mb to a gb. So over a million pkm files could be stored at that size on a single gb. Ten times not large enough for ya? Al right. Twenty. 2 KB per. Still over half a million. More you say? Right, heres's a really big jump... 256 kb per pkm file. Just over four thousand to a 1 gb card.

So your argument about the sd card not being able to hold a whole lot of pokemon due to size increases? As I've stated, shown, and as you ignored many times... A SD card has plenty of space to hold pokemon id data.

And as for the box amount? That amount can be expanded, easily. The 3DS cartridge has more then enough capacity to allow for such a expansion. The amount they code into the game is just a limit, one they could have easily increased.

The issue isn't that they are charging for storage, but they are charging for the ability to trade certain pokemon. This is the issue - That they are requiring you to pay a yearly fee to be access one type of trade. Ask yourself this... How long before they expand this, how long before they decide that 'Hey, they thought us charging for this type of trade was a good idea, so lets charge for all of them!'

Do I dislike, no, hate this 'feature'? Yes. But thats not the real reason for my rant against it. It's the fear that they will expand this yearly fee to encompass all trades.

And this is something that we should all be afraid of.

Your all ignoring the main point - That they are effectively requiring you to pay for the ability to trade.

DamienHelvian

Years
    I think it's a great idea. Still waiting for more details to come out to see how worth while it really is. So far the only concerns I have are purchase, if you can use this with the hard copy of the X an Y Games and how reliable the service is (No Wifi, No Pokemon).

Glad they haven't made Pokemon like Skylanders..

Oh god skylanders...
    Don't give them ideas..
    Having to buy the best pokemon....
    Pokemon would officially die.

And that last bit is a good point. I have satellite internet, which is shoddy on its own, but especially horrible when there's storms. And I live in kansas, the state of storms. It's almost like Link, playing Song of Storms whenever the hell he feels like it....
    I digress... What might happen should, say...mid transfer, your connection cuts out? Will that corrupt your data, will it corrupt your bank? Will your pokemon be lost forever?
    But, I don't get why it wouldn't work with the Hard Copies....I mean, that would shut out, at least half, if not more, of their consumers. I'm quite sure the majority of gamers who are getting pokemon, pre-ordered hard copies, or plan to get them in a store, not through the eshop.

Also about the nintendo/pokemon account....Would it be the same account you use for the GTS website? Is that where they would store it? I mean, it's actually a good place. They're scrapping dream world, right? That means they'll have all those servers free for use...maybe that's one of the reasons why it's going (aside from the fact that dream world was absolutely horrid. Even people with GOOD internet connections had trouble). They wanted to make room for the Bank maybe?

@Mr. X, pretty much yes. Like I said in my previous posts, Subscriptions, of any sort, kill games. And if they do expand this fee. since they'd be covering more trades, wouldn't it likely go up?
    Trading, is essentially free at this point. You don't even need a second DS/3DS of your own. I've got good friends who would help me out if I didn't have my busted one available..and I'm sure many other people do too. Trading Up pokemon to the next gen is one of the biggest aspects. So much so, that they designed the whole new, poketransfer system, to get from IV to V without the tediousness of trading. People love keeping their old gen pokemon around, because they are like friends, or family, even if just digital creatures.
    They also trade up so they can start a new game over, or leave the game be until they want to play it again. Or sometimes they just want to trade up and sell it. We're having to pay, for something we could do for free all along. Having to pay, to keep our favorite pokemon around with us. I have at least, four or five prime teams from my older games, and I want them to move up with me. Bring them on my eternal journey through the pokemon world. Why should I have to pay for that?

Last edited:

Years
    Technically it's transfering as a trade means you're giving something to gain something.

Now if they were to ever charge for actual trades...well Gf will be shooting the series into an abyss as trading is a key component of the series...

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Yes, the are requiring you to pay to access some trading features.

TRADING (Capitalized because most of you are ignoring this) between 5th and 6th gen games requires access to Pokemon Bank.

Access Pokemon Bank requires you to pay a yearly fee.

So yes, they are requiring us to pay a fee for trading. It's limited right now to this one type of trading... But how long before they decide to integrate all trades through the Bank?

Remember - Still more then a month left to go before release. Still a lot of information they are playing to the chest... Perhaps other trades require the Bank as well, and they have just released info on this one type to test the waters? To see what peoples opinions are on pay to trade?

Sadly though, trading being essential to the series is all the more reason for them to charge for it. More money to be had charging for a essential feature then a unimportant one.

DamienHelvian

Years

TRADING (Capitalized because most of you are ignoring this) between 5th and 6th gen games requires access to Pokemon Bank.

So yes, they are requiring us to pay a fee for trading. It's limited right now to this one type of trading... But how long before they decide to integrate all trades through the Bank?

Remember - Still more then a month left to go before release. Still a lot of information they are playing to the chest... Perhaps other trades require the Bank as well, and they have just released info on this one type to test the waters? To see what peoples opinions are on pay to trade?

Sadly though, trading being essential to the series is all the more reason for them to charge for it. More money to be had charging for a essential feature then a unimportant one.

Another good point.... What if they're going to charge for the GTS trading? (They couldn't possibly charge for Union room trading, or Wi-Fi friend trading, i mean that would just be horrid)
    The GTS already works by temporarily storing your pokemon on a server, and then storing the other person's pokemon for you to retrieve when yours is traded for.
    If they simply integrate that into the same system as the Bank, then they could very well charge for it.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years

Mate it's not trading... It's transferring. You can't trade from 6th to 5th. Transfer is a one way deal, unlike trades.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Then tell me this - With all the added features, how large do you think a pkm file would be?

Right now, a gen 5 pkm file? 136 bytes. Run the math, see how many to a single MB, and you'll see that your arguement about having to constantly get new sd cards to hold them is foolish.

Say the files jumped to 1 kb in size - Increasing their size ten times over. 1024 to a mb. 1024 mb to a gb. So over a million pkm files could be stored at that size on a single gb. Ten times not large enough for ya? Al right. Twenty. 2 KB per. Still over half a million. More you say? Right, heres's a really big jump... 256 kb per pkm file. Just over four thousand to a 1 gb card.

So your argument about the sd card not being able to hold a whole lot of pokemon due to size increases? As I've stated, shown, and as you ignored many times... A SD card has plenty of space to hold pokemon id data.

And as for the box amount? That amount can be expanded, easily. The 3DS cartridge has more then enough capacity to allow for such a expansion. The amount they code into the game is just a limit, one they could have easily increased.

The issue isn't that they are charging for storage, but they are charging for the ability to trade certain pokemon. This is the issue - That they are requiring you to pay a yearly fee to be access one type of trade. Ask yourself this... How long before they expand this, how long before they decide that 'Hey, they thought us charging for this type of trade was a good idea, so lets charge for all of them!'

Do I dislike, no, hate this 'feature'? Yes. But thats not the real reason for my rant against it. It's the fear that they will expand this yearly fee to encompass all trades.

And this is something that we should all be afraid of.

Your all ignoring the main point - That they are effectively requiring you to pay for the ability to trade.

That's the stupidest reasoning to come up with, it's just dumb you know , I know it everyone here knows it.
    This isn't going to be a service just for this gen , and it pretty much guarantees future backwards comparability with new games.

I think it's irresponsible for you to keep spouting this nonsense .

Especially since your lying!!!
    No where in the direct it said you had to pay to trade
    Even transfers are free
    The only thing you have to pay for is pokebank

But I have a thought , what if for each year you subscribe to pokebank you got a special gift such as a special pokebank pokemon statue( kinda like the gold mario from club nintendo)
    Or limited edition plush toys, or a special pack of pokemon cards?
    These gifts wouldn't be available unless you sign up for the service.
    I mean a pack of cards cost $3.99 and a plush doll cost more. So would you consider if they did something like that worth $5 a year lol

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
    Years
    That's the stupidest reasoning to come up with, it's just dumb you know , I know it everyone here knows it.
    This isn't going to be a service just for this gen , and it pretty much guarantees future backwards comparability with new games.

I think it's irresponsible for you to keep spouting this nonsense .

Especially since your lying!!!
    No where in the direct it said you had to pay to trade
    Even transfers are free
    The only thing you have to pay for is pokebank

But I have a thought , what if for each year you subscribe to pokebank you got a special gift such as a special pokebank pokemon statue( kinda like the gold mario from club nintendo)
    Or limited edition plush toys, or a special pack of pokemon cards?
    These gifts wouldn't be available unless you sign up for the service.
    I mean a pack of cards cost $3.99 and a plush doll cost more. So would you consider if they did something like that worth $5 a year lol

Transfer will be free for a limited time only for the trial of the bank.Then you will have to pay to access them.

atomtanned

Delinquent
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022
    Trading, is essentially free at this point. You don't even need a second DS/3DS of your own. I've got good friends who would help me out if I didn't have my busted one available..and I'm sure many other people do too.

I don't know, I think you're wrong there. I don't have anyone to help me trade with. None of my friends play Pokemon, in fact I don't know a single one who owns a DS. The most recent time I had a friend close by who had a GameBoy was a GameBoy Advance! I understand why people are upset at the general idea of paying for this online service, but for me this is a great option. I would much rather pay $5 a year now than have to get another 3DS in the future for transfers... because for me, that has been the only option up until now.

Another thing -- talking about having friends help you -- if you are one of those people who has several friends who play Pokemon, surely you can share a Pokemon Bank account if you wanted? They said you'd be able to use it with multiple games. What is stopping anyone from sharing the $5 fee across 2 or 3 people, and all using the same account to transfer Pokemon?

I still don't think they are charging to really turn a large profit... if they wanted to make money, they could have made it a $1 a month and then $10 for the whole year, and made way more.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Transfer will be free for a limited time only for the trial of the bank.Then you will have to pay to access them.

True but your not paying for the poketransfer your paying for pokemon bank.
    It's kinda like how using google is free but you have to pay for your Internet to use it

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    As long as you are required access to a paid service in order to trade, then yes - They are charging for trades.

I'm just waiting for the announcement that all trades require the bank. It wouldn't surprise me if they decided to integrate all trades through the bank since everyone seems to think pay to trade is a good idea.

Additionally, a cut storage amount in game. With the bank, and everyone seeming to love the idea, would we really need more then a few boxes in game?

Honestly, better ways they could do the bank. Charge by the box. You sign up for the bank, you get 1 box for free. Additional boxes would cost say... .50 a year. This would be better for the average user since instead of paying for space that they will never use, they will only have to pay for the space they need. Additionally, it will allow people to freely trade.

Last edited:
    Back