• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Pokemon Bank and Transfer.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    As long as you are required access to a paid service in order to trade, then yes - They are charging for trades.

I'm just waiting for the announcement that all trades require the bank. It wouldn't surprise me if they decided to integrate all trades through the bank since everyone seems to think pay to trade is a good idea.

Additionally, a cut storage amount in game. With the bank, and everyone seeming to love the idea, would we really need more then a few boxes in game?

Honestly, better ways they could do the bank. Charge by the box. You sign up for the bank, you get 1 box for free. Additional boxes would cost say... .50 a year. This would be better for the average user since instead of paying for space that they will never use, they will only have to pay for the space they need. Additionally, it will allow people to freely trade.
    Or they could've done 5 cents per box as there's 100 boxes, people would proably not really mind paying such a little bit a year for an extra box, and add more as time goes by.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    As long as you are required access to a paid service in order to trade, then yes - They are charging for trades.

I'm just waiting for the announcement that all trades require the bank. It wouldn't surprise me if they decided to integrate all trades through the bank since everyone seems to think pay to trade is a good idea.

Additionally, a cut storage amount in game. With the bank, and everyone seeming to love the idea, would we really need more then a few boxes in game?

Honestly, better ways they could do the bank. Charge by the box. You sign up for the bank, you get 1 box for free. Additional boxes would cost say... .50 a year. This would be better for the average user since instead of paying for space that they will never use, they will only have to pay for the space they need. Additionally, it will allow people to freely trade.

Your a troll
    Your reasoning makes no sense at all
    If games like mario ,fire emblem and animal crossing can connect with each other for free of charge why would pokemon the game that pretty much started that trend for nintendo charge you ?

Why would you think trading over the GTS or trading period get charged ,you make no sense.

I understand your a troll and your just saying stuff like this
    The only reason I'm bothering responding to you is because I have a very slow work week and I don't have that much to do lol
    Also I was captain of all my debate teams and I miss discussion like these , so I'm actually enjoying our little back and forth, its fun

AND THEY ARE NOT CHARGING FOR TRADES LOL
    the are charging for storage , and you need to have the service to transfer pokemon

Look up the word trading , because I don't think you know what it means

Last edited:

atomtanned

Delinquent
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022

Let's not get crazy here. They are requiring payment for the storage system, and have facilitated transfer from a previous generation of games through that storage system. This doesn't seem wholly unreasonable, because as we know from the past, the Pokemon games have not always been backwards compatible, especially when large changes take place. It also is NOT paying for trading. Paying for trading would imply a charge for exchanging Pokemon back and forth, a charge for each exchange. The transfer feature is a one-time movement from an older game and apparently can include boxes of Pokemon at once. A little different.

I highly doubt they'd require the Pokemon Bank for trade purposes. If they were, it would make sense to announce it during the Pokemon Direct recording, wouldn't it? You're ignoring the fact that as of right now, with all the information that we have, Pokemon Bank is completely OPTIONAL. You don't need it to complete or enjoy the game. You need it if you want to have extra space to store your Pokemon, or if you want to transfer older Pokemon. Neither of those two things are requirements for completing the game. You thinking that trading will now require a subscription service is just you taking what we know and running with it -- maybe let's stop discussing it like it's fact?

We don't even know if they removed storage from the games. All they had said was that storage in the game is limited. Well, all of the games have had "limited" storage so far. Once you fill up your PC boxes, you're done. That's a limit. That phrasing doesn't mean that X and Y won't have the same storage capacity in-game as before.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Let's not get crazy here. They are requiring payment for the storage system, and have facilitated transfer from a previous generation of games through that storage system. This doesn't seem wholly unreasonable, because as we know from the past, the Pokemon games have not always been backwards compatible, especially when large changes take place. It also is NOT paying for trading. Paying for trading would imply a charge for exchanging Pokemon back and forth, a charge for each exchange. The transfer feature is a one-time movement from an older game and apparently can include boxes of Pokemon at once. A little different.

I highly doubt they'd require the Pokemon Bank for trade purposes. If they were, it would make sense to announce it during the Pokemon Direct recording, wouldn't it? You're ignoring the fact that as of right now, with all the information that we have, Pokemon Bank is completely OPTIONAL. You don't need it to complete or enjoy the game. You need it if you want to have extra space to store your Pokemon, or if you want to transfer older Pokemon. Neither of those two things are requirements for completing the game. You thinking that trading will now require a subscription service is just you taking what we know and running with it -- maybe let's stop discussing it like it's fact?

We don't even know if they removed storage from the games. All they had said was that storage in the game is limited. Well, all of the games have had "limited" storage so far. Once you fill up your PC boxes, you're done. That's a limit. That phrasing doesn't mean that X and Y won't have the same storage capacity in-game as before.

I don't think it's because of less space I believe the service is because their are going to be over 700 pokemon and their wouldn't be enough box space for multipul of each pokemon ( shinies, good natures) let alone eggs

Years
    I doubt we'll get 150 + new Pokemon again, but those who want a shiny of each and a normal one could use that space...especially if they also want a Pokemon in all it's forms.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Fine they don't charge for trades.

Answer this then - Will I be able to trade from 5th gen to 6th gen, without having to pay $5 a year?

No. I won't. Because this trade requires you to pay for the bank service.

No matter how you try wording it, they are charging you for the ability to trade between two games that you already own.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Not to sound too technical here, but technically a trade is when two parties give up something for something else in return. A transfer is to deliver something or someone from Point A to Point B.

As it stands trading is completely free. Transferring on the other hand...

Name

Moémon Master
    Years
    I don't mind dropping 5 bucks a year for storage.
    I might have mentioned this before but, I really hope this service doesn't wind up going belly up . . .

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Fine they don't charge for trades.

Answer this then - Will I be able to trade from 5th gen to 6th gen, without having to pay $5 a year?

No. I won't. Because this trade requires you to pay for the bank service.

No matter how you try wording it, they are charging you for the ability to trade between two games that you already own.

Well tell me this were we charged to trade between gen 5 to gen 4? No
    Were we charged to trade between gen 4 and Gen 3? No

You know why? BECAUSE YOU CAN'T TRADE BETWEEN GENERATIONS!!! ( josh from west wing voice) lol

The only generations you were able to trade between was gen 1 and gen 2.

And you know what your not even transfering between gen 5 to gen 6.
    Your simply sending pokemon from your gen 5 game to your pokemon bank.
    Based on what we know gen 5 and gen 6 doesn't communicate with each other at all ( directly)

So your argument is mute

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    All GF has to do is offer 1 free storage space for use in trades between 5th and 6th gen. Thats all they need to do, and the vast majority of complaints about the service will stop.

Will they? Doubt it.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    All GF has to do is offer 1 free storage space for use in trades between 5th and 6th gen. Thats all they need to do, and the vast majority of complaints about the service will stop.

Will they? Doubt it.

Unfortunaly there is no way for us to trade to between gen 5 or gen 6

DamienHelvian

Legendary Lucario Warrior
    Years
    Well he keeps saying that maybe they'll eventually charge for other kinds of trades so one has to wonder...

Speaking of which, why did you say GTS doesn't happen on the cloud?
    Doesn't it? The pokemon you send into the GTS is stored on their server, which is the cloud...
    It wouldn't be hard to integrate that system into the bank system.

Years
    Doesn't it? The pokemon you send into the GTS is stored on their server, which is the cloud...
    I think it's a different kind of server than the one being used for Pokebank, if not then they proably would've made Pokebank earlier in generation IV (for storing of course) as they've had the idea since the end of Gen II.

Years
    I don't think they will lower the number of boxes in X&Y. I think the boxes will be 24 again but you can only store 720 Pokemon, and there are 649 Pokemon now. So, that's why they used the term "limited".. You can't fill your Pokedex without the Bank.

And seriously, you can transfer whole boxes at a time, and once you complete the Pokedex in X&Y, it will be so easy to complete the Pokedex in the next games. I'd rather give 5$/year than having to buy a new 3DS for trades.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Stop being pedantic. He may keep saying trades, but he means transfers.
    Stop being naive , he knows the difference and if he didn't he was well informed many times on the thread . I won't call a cat a duck.

Are you seriouse? They are 2 completely different things . One is a public service that acts like a conduit between your game and another.
    The other is a service which you personally store a good amount of info and have access anytime you want.
    Maybe you and your friend should be ペダンチック

Years
    I don't think they will lower the number of boxes in X&Y. I think the boxes will be 24 again but you can only store 720 Pokemon, and there are 649 Pokemon now. So, that's why they used the term "limited".. You can't fill your Pokedex without the Bank.

And seriously, you can transfer whole boxes at a time, and once you complete the Pokedex in X&Y, it will be so easy to complete the Pokedex in the next games. I'd rather give 5$/year than having to buy a new 3DS for trades.
    I don't get where people are getting the reduced number of boxes...sounds like a rumor being taken as fact...either that or I missed something (which is possible).

Me too, Gen V's transfer was annoying, Gen IV's transfer from Gen III was the easiest for those who got the original 3DS or Lite, didn't have to buy another system, or pay for it (though to be fair you only pay a bit).

Back