• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Pokemon Chaining Questions

Have you caught a shiny before with or without an pokeradar?

• I have caught a shiny

Votes: 98 54.7%
  • I have not caught a shiny yet

Votes: 81 45.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowTails

I'm working on a better Avatar
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 7, 2015
    You know what I hate the most, is when you reset the radar and you think a shiny patch came up behind your character, but you're not sure, but you don't wanna step into it because you're afraid it isn't a shiny patch and it'll break your chain... I think it was but I don't wanna lose my chain... GOD I just wish someone would find the graphics in the rom and relase them so I could put Hikari/Dawn in front of them to see if it WAS a shiny patch =\... I'm not sure what to do and leaving my DS on draining battery isn't going to help.

ThePlaya

I Am The Charizard Master
    Years
    yup the character blocks the view completely.....and sometimes i see a patch shaking going up(the way that that one patch is blocked)and i take a step.......boom my chain is broken....it churns out that the patch shook and i couldnt see it that well.have had several chains get broken because of this.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2010
    I don't see the logic in this. Once you get 1 shiny, the odds arn't reset there still at 1/200 or whatever your at, at this time. You have a 0.5%(when you get there) chance of getting a shiny everytime the grass rumbles. Now I know the chance of getting 8 isn't great but its still possible.

Anyways, my highest chain is 25 on a Bidoof, no shiny. Only shiny I've ever caught was on the 11th battle of a 12 Floayzel chain.

Never said it wasn't possible, just said its next to impossible. I'm making my own pokemon game, so those of you who are claiming I have no clue what goes into the programming of chaining are wrong. And no, they didn't teach me about pokemon games in AP statistics, but they did teach me how to calculate the probability of a statistical event, which can include catching a shiney pokemon. There is math behind pokemon games people, trust me. And listen, you don't all need to accuse me of flaming, or get mad at me for this and that. I'm just saying that it is VERY unlikely that it happened. I'm not saying its impossible to get shineys from chaining, i'm not saying its impossible to get more than 1 shiney from a chain, I just said its very unlikely to get 8 shineys in one chain. Don't blow it out of proportion here. Its not flaming, its just my opinion, which is based on facts.

Here is what the odds really are:

His Highest Chain: 113
    Number of Shineys: 8

so the odds of getting a shiney after 40 chains are 1/200, He did 113 chains, the chances of getting a shiney before then are pretty minimal, but we'll assume he got one shiney in the first 40 ( which is generous ). So that leaves us with 73 chains to get the other 7 at the odds of 1/200. The probability of this happening, while being generous, is .000000036. Which by any statistical standards, is horrible. 1 in 27,777,777. ( 27 million, 777 thouand, 777 )

So yes, its possible I suppose.

Years
    my highest was 40 with Meditie then i had to go bed for school :( so i left it on got up in the morning and forgot to repel :( oh i was pissed....

and there is NO math to shinies its random man, i was told to imagine a 8000 ( or whatever the shiny rate is) sided dice and pick one number that number is the shiny and to keep rolling it
    thats how i was taught lol

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2015
    I wonder, am I the only one that gets nervous as his chain gets higher out of fear of running into a bad patch?

ShadowTails

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 7, 2015
    Never said it wasn't possible, just said its next to impossible. I'm making my own pokemon game, so those of you who are claiming I have no clue what goes into the programming of chaining are wrong. And no, they didn't teach me about pokemon games in AP statistics, but they did teach me how to calculate the probability of a statistical event, which can include catching a shiney pokemon. There is math behind pokemon games people, trust me. And listen, you don't all need to accuse me of flaming, or get mad at me for this and that. I'm just saying that it is VERY unlikely that it happened. I'm not saying its impossible to get shineys from chaining, i'm not saying its impossible to get more than 1 shiney from a chain, I just said its very unlikely to get 8 shineys in one chain. Don't blow it out of proportion here. Its not flaming, its just my opinion, which is based on facts.

Here is what the odds really are:

His Highest Chain: 113
    Number of Shineys: 8

so the odds of getting a shiney after 40 chains are 1/200, He did 113 chains, the chances of getting a shiney before then are pretty minimal, but we'll assume he got one shiney in the first 40 ( which is generous ). So that leaves us with 73 chains to get the other 7 at the odds of 1/200. The probability of this happening, while being generous, is .000000036. Which by any statistical standards, is horrible. 1 in 27,777,777. ( 27 million, 777 thouand, 777 )

So yes, its possible I suppose.
    I realize what you're trying to say, but you can never be exact, even if there is a chance of something happening doesn't mean it will, you said I had a better chance of being struck by lightening 7 times, I haven't even been struck once, chances doesn't equal what can actually happen... That's what a Chance is, it's not exact, and let me tell you... you can either be lucky with the Pokeradar, or unlucky... it just happens. I know some people who only had to reset their game a few times to get a Shiny starter, and even if you encounter 8000 something Pokemon you're not guaranteed to get a Shiny after you see the next one, you can go on and on without seeing one, it's just a chance nothing in a chance is ever exact.... I was reseting the radar for freaking ever, like 3 hours before the first shiny came up, and mind you that this chain was started august 27th and ended august 28th, since time doesn't effect the Pokeradar, none of them are exactly the same, I wouldn't see any point in cloning a Shiny Pokemon, I mean I'm not even trying to trade them for personal gain... It's just a chance is a chance, not exact.

I don't think anyone has cracked the entire method of how the Pokeradar is programed, even if there is a 1/200 chance, that doesn't mean I got a Shiny within the reseting of the radar I have been reseting the radar over 100 times, and no shinies, and yesterday I chained Zangoose up to 40 and got NO shinies... so see not everyone gets a shiny on their chain, and not everyone believes in chances, because to be technical I've gotten 3 shinies on Pearl that weren't in shiny patches, so chances are just chances... not exact probability of something happening, if there is a red marble in a bag with 8 green marbles, there is still a chance that I'd pick a red marble each time, doesn't mean I will or wont pick it each time.

Also according to my game, I haven't even encountered 8000 Pokemon yet...

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2010
    I realize what you're trying to say, but you can never be exact, even if there is a chance of something happening doesn't mean it will, you said I had a better chance of being struck by lightening 7 times, I haven't even been struck once, chances doesn't equal what can actually happen... That's what a Chance is, it's not exact, and let me tell you... you can either be lucky with the Pokeradar, or unlucky... it just happens. I know some people who only had to reset their game a few times to get a Shiny starter, and even if you encounter 8000 something Pokemon you're not guaranteed to get a Shiny after you see the next one, you can go on and on without seeing one, it's just a chance nothing in a chance is ever exact.... I was reseting the radar for freaking ever, like 3 hours before the first shiny came up, and mind you that this chain was started august 27th and ended august 28th, since time doesn't effect the Pokeradar, none of them are exactly the same, I wouldn't see any point in cloning a Shiny Pokemon, I mean I'm not even trying to trade them for personal gain... It's just a chance is a chance, not exact.

I don't think anyone has cracked the entire method of how the Pokeradar is programed, even if there is a 1/200 chance, that doesn't mean I got a Shiny within the reseting of the radar I have been reseting the radar over 100 times, and no shinies, and yesterday I chained Zangoose up to 40 and got NO shinies... so see not everyone gets a shiny on their chain, and not everyone believes in chances, because to be technical I've gotten 3 shinies on Pearl that weren't in shiny patches, so chances are just chances... not exact probability of something happening, if there is a red marble in a bag with 8 green marbles, there is still a chance that I'd pick a red marble each time, doesn't mean I will or wont pick it each time.

Also according to my game, I haven't even encountered 8000 Pokemon yet...

Oh I know, i'm just saying the odds were 1/27 million. And thats the calculated number. Just like we know its 1/200 if you have a chain of 40+. Its a probability. And I'm not an idiot, I realise that it COULD possibly happen, I even admitted to it. I never said "you must get struck by lightning 7 times before its possible to get that chain" nor did I say "you only get a shiney pokemon in the wild after encountering 8000 or more pokemon" I just said that looking at the probabilities, you're more likely to get struck by lightning than get that chain. Although that was an exaggeration obviously.

ThePlaya

Years
    no the odds arnt 1/27 million......thats way too high...its like 1/200 the lowest you can go but i dont know which number chain that is....but 1/200...thats pretty good.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2010
    no the odds arnt 1/27 million......thats way too high...its like 1/200 the lowest you can go but i dont know which number chain that is....but 1/200...thats pretty good.

No, 1/27million is the calculated probability of getting 8 shineys in a chain of 113.

Zet

Years
    1.220703125% = 1.22%
    that is the actual chance of getting a shiny without radar i got that percentage with science well actually its done like this 1 divide by 8192 multiply by 10000 since having 0.01220703125 by just multiplying is just silly

Years
    Wow this is a really good video.

Thanks, I thought shinies were just luck and the pokeradar was just to save time from running around in the grass to battle wild pokemon.

ShadowTails

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 7, 2015
    does it really matter that much? I mean, I have 8 Shiny Slakoths, 6 Shiny Starlys, 4 shiny Zigzagoons... 6 of my Slakoths are bad natured even with a Synchronize Pokemon in the front of my party, 2 were Adamant, rest were Neutral Natured...

I have also just had luck I guess, I mean look how many total shinies I have, and look how many times I've chained and got nothing, as I said I was working on that Slakoth chain and 2 hours later the first shiny patch came up. Chaining can be random, I've had pleanty of chains where I've gotten no shinies or they are hiding really well... I've had shinies that broke my chain... One time I was chaining Smeargle and I really wasn't trying to get a lot of shinies, I just kept going to good looking patches, advancing my chain, reseting when I felt the need to because of bad patches... I managed to catch 5 of those and one was Jolly luckily, I didn't have ANY synchronize Pokemon in my part... I don't think the set chances make it that unlikely to get a Shiny, even when I really wasn't trying to get more I got them.

ThePlaya

Years
    Wow this is a really good video.

Thanks, I thought shinies were just luck and the pokeradar was just to save time from running around in the grass to battle wild pokemon.

your welcome
    always happy to help:)
    yup that video helped me alot aswell....and i mean a lot

but i still have no luck wiht shinys....im better since now i get to over 30 chains faster....but alwasy get broken:(

Last edited:

evilcheese

God I am so freakin lazy
    Years
    highest chain 10 zubats and i bet i wouldnt get any shinies if i didnt have the action replay code on

ShadowTails

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 7, 2015
    For other tips, I suggest watching a few videos that people have done where they show you them chaining to 40 and reseting for the Shiny Patch, I know there is one for Ralts... I am just about as careful as he is while I chain, but yeah... I love getting a Shiny Pokemon because most of them just look awesome, but many look just fine in their normal form... I have to limit myself to the number of Shinies I EV train/Use on teams because n00bs will accuse me of hacking =\... I guess I could start posting my horrible quality videos of me catching the shinies on Youtube... eh...

ThePlaya

Years
    yeah...ppl would start accusing you of hacking:(..even though i know you dont:).
    anyways ppl i still havnt had any luck catching a shiny:(.....but still trying:)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back