• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Discussion (Current Subject: Aerodactyl)

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
    I told you all that this thread would be making a return shortly. Well here it is. Except with many changes. After seeing the success of the Deoxys-E discussion thread, I was inspired (thanks Anti). Now, here are the changes:

1.) We will be discussing more than just move sets now. We will also discuss the best counters, best Pokemon they work with, oddest encounters while battling one, how well they work in their particular tier.

2.) There will be no requesting what Pokemon you would like to do. Smarties or I will decide the particular Pokemon to be discussed at that particular time. Speaking of choosing the Pokemon, here's rule number:

3.) Revised: A new Pokemon will be introduced when I feel the analysis has been completed. I will try to leave it up for at least two to three days. After that, I'll begin searching for the next Pokemon.

4.) Using a very simple website-building tool, there will be separate pages on which all information discussed/known about the Pokemon will be summarized.

5.) No arguing, spamming, being a complete idiot, etc. You get the idea. This is a thread for civil, intelligent, and progressive discussion. There will be ZERO tolerance for any member, no matter their seniority.

6.) No copy and paste jobs from Smogon or any other Pokemon site (like Serebii). Yes, you may use the move sets and such that they give, but I expect your own description of how the move set works in your words. This also goes for your own unique move sets. No move set without a description will be placed on the web page.

7.) PLEASE USE THIS FORMAT WHEN POSTING A MOVE SET:

[Pokemon's Name] @ [Item]
    Ability: [Name]
    EVs: [Spread]
    [Name] Nature

-
    -
    -
    -

8.) HAVE FUN! :D:D:D:D:D (Yay for cheesey rules)

Finished Discussions:

Our first Pokemon up for discussion is an old favorite of mine:

Pokemon Discussion (Current Subject: Aerodactyl)

Name: Golem
    Classification: Rock Pokemon
    Typing: Rock / Ground
    Height / Weight: 4'07" / 662 lbs.
    Tier: Underused (UU)
    Ability: Sturdy / Rock Head

Stats-
    HP- 80
    Attack- 110
    Defense- 130
    Special Attack- 55
    Special Defense- 65
    Speed- 45

Diamond PokeDex Entry- It sheds its hide once a year. Its boulderlike body is so tough, even dynamite can't harm it.
    Pearl PokeDex Entry- It tumbles down mountains, leaving grooves from peak to base. Stay clear of these grooves.

Image courtesy of Arkeis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Olz.

The Magic Auroa
    Years
    First post :), Wow thats an awesome golum! Yea, it ism underused. Possible because Water/Ice/Grass Can kill it in one shot >.<.

Edit - :

I've had a golum before, it wasn't that good really. Its Moveset was something like:

Selfdestruct (Don't know why)
    Earthquake (^^)
    Strength?
    And er... Forgot xP

Anywasy, they work well as a wall i think >.<

Last edited:

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
    Either edit your post to actually contribute to the topic at hand or you will receive a warning. Thank you.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Ah golem, an old fave of mine too. Heres the set I was planning on using in a UU team:
    Golem@Choice Band
    Relaxed Nature
    252HP/152Att/100Def
    Stone Edge
    EQ
    Explosion
    Rock Blast

Stone Edge and EQ are the staple of most choice banders. Rock blast works well as a sub breaker when combined with STAB and Band. Explosion for when you can no longer carry on.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    If this is allowed, I'd like to quote myself from a post I made in an earlier thread:

I don't know about ADV, really, but Golem is pretty good in OU. I used to use an un-EV trained one that beat many good players here.

The thing that makes Golem stand out from Rhy is Explosion. But not with CBing.

I don't feel like rating, so someone else can handle the rest of the obvious mistakes. I'll just do Golem

Golem:Leftovers/Life Orb
    Nature:Adamant/Impish
    Earthquake
    Stone Egde
    Stealth Rock
    Explosion
    EV:252 ATK/148 DEF/108 HP

I learned that Golem is pretty tough with a CB.

Faceless*

YES!
    Years
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 17, 2013
    Golem has a problem in the OU, Rhyperior

and reading from your post, Golem having Explosion and Rhyperior Not having Explosion isn't a big deal. Rhyperior has more capabilities Golem does not have, boosted stats, access to other moves, the ability Solid Rock (allows him to take a few Earthquakes)

If Golem is to be used in OU, that's just like saying "Golem should ALWAYS have Explosion, no matter what"

Faceless*

YES!
    Years
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 17, 2013
    But you do agree, it is a truly killer move, that almost guarentees a KO. Don't think I ever said that Golem can compete in the level that Rhyperior can. But that is a move that can seperate the two.

Correct, is there anything else that seperates them though? ?_?

Well, both Golem's Abilities are pretty useless (Sturdy = wheres the OHKO?)(Rock Head = Man, I can deal MUCH more damage with Stone Edge than wasting my time with Double-Edge) unless Golem had Head Smash LOL. That's when I use Golem.

As for the set..

Golem@Leftovers/Focus Sash
    Trait : Sturdy/Rock Head
    Nature : Relaxed/Impish/Adamant
    Moves :
    - Explosion
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Punch/Substitute/Stealth Rock

Substitute surprises sweepers switching in like Starmie/Alakazam etc.
    Fire Punch is ok for Forretress/Scizor/Skarmory who likes to laugh at Golem
    Stealth Rock is self-explanatory

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
    Golem @ Life Orb / Focus Sash
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 32 HP / 224 ATK / 252 SPD
    Jolly or Naive Nature

- Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Fire Punch / Fire Blast
    - Rock Polish

I'm really bad with calculations, but I think after Rock Polish, it reaches 414 Speed. It's sort of a Agiligross rip-off, except with more Speed EV investment (Golish FTW?). Earthquake, Stone Edge, and Rock Polish are self-explanatory. Fire Punch let's you stay purely physical while Fire Blast (while incredibly lacking in power), is a poor alternative that some may prefer as a surprise. Also capable of the 6 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPD spread.

Faceless*

YES!
    Years
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 17, 2013
    Golem @ Life Orb
    EVs: 32 HP / 224 ATK / 252 SPD
    Jolly or Naive Nature

- Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Fire Punch / Fire Blast
    - Rock Polish

I'm really bad with calculations, but I think after Rock Polish, it reaches 414 Speed. It's sort of a Agiligross rip-off, except with more Speed EV investment (Golish FTW?). Earthquake, Stone Edge, and Rock Polish are self-explanatory. Fire Punch let's you stay purely physical while Fire Blast (while incredibly lacking in power), is a poor alternative that some may prefer as a surprise. Also capable of the 6 HP / 252 ATK / 252 SPD spread.

This set was meant to catch opponent off of prediction? =O Yay for the new Agiligolem!! I'd much rather see Focus Sash at times since prediction is a very big risk.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
    Oh, I always forget about Focus Sash as I never use it. Added it. =D

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Golem has been horribly abused by Nintendo ever since the beginning of Generation 2. How dareth they???

Golem @ Choice Band
    Trait: Rock Head
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Double-Edge / Fire Punch
    - BOOM! (Explosion)

CB 'BOOM!'ing is oh so fun! Pretty generic CBer though. Fire punch will beat floating steels. EQ and Stone Edge are general STAB moves.

Eh, it'd better as a wall, but CBing with 110 base Atk is fun to mess with.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2024
    Does anyone have a Wall set? I'd be interested in seeing one.

Golem@leftovers
    252 HP / 252 DEF / 6 ATT.
    Trait : Sturdy (Always helpful against OHKO n00bs XD)
    Relaxed / Impish Nature
    - Roar
    - Stealth Rock / Rest
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake

i suppose you can shove Toxic or Protect on here to whittle stuff down and to scout choice band attacks.

I really have no clue XD

shedinjask

all about how to pokemoning
    Years
    Golem @ Leftovers
    252 HP/252 Def/4 Spd -- Impish
    Rock Blast
    Protect
    Toxic
    Roar/Block

I guess it can get some kills. Block for being annoying, Roar for spreading the poison.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
    Golem@Choice Specs
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SPATK / 6 DEF
    Modest or Bold Nature

- Hidden Power [Rock]
    - Focus Blast
    - Fire Blast
    - Hyper Beam / Earthquake

Gimmick Choice Specs. Not to be taken seriously. Probably bad coverage.

Last edited:

Ársa

k.
    Years
    Golem@Liechi Berry / Life Orb
    Brave
    252 Atk, 202 HP, 56 Def
    Rock Head

Earthquake
    Natural Gift / Substitute / Flamethrower
    Stone Edge
    Double Edge / Fire Punch

Ok, works best on a Trick Room Team. Double Edge recoil is negated, Earthquake and Stone Edge provide Nice STAB. Now here is the awkward. Liechi Berry give Natural Gift a Base 80 Physical Grass attack. You can either run Natural Gift, or run Substitute with Liechi Berry. Finally, if you want, you can run Flamethrower and Life Orb, which KO's Skarmory.

~T_S

Ársa

k.
    Years
    Yes, Golem is a tank, but I just gave my two bits of a different set. In Trick Room and Sandstorm, it can be scary. Takes out Water and Rock/Ground Types with Natural Gift, and not many will expect it. (For Instance, Swampert say bye bye. ;))

~T_S

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back