• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokemon Emerald Final v7.41 (updated January 18th 2023)

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2024
    Hey Dearman4 I hope you can help me out with something.

I really want to play a modern updated Fire Red game but Fire Red Throwback just doesn't cut it for me. Sure it has modern updates like the Physica/Special Split, being able to Run Indoors, updates to moves, modern Repel System, the modern Exp. share mechanics and a whole slew of other QoL additions but the fact of the matter is it doesn't have all 386 Pokemon and the hack's author hasn't yet put out new word of when the Hoenn Pokemon will be added in.

One Fire Red hack I liked that tried its own take on being able to catch 'em all was and still is Pokemon Ultra Violet. Sadly it has already been abandoned by its author LockSmithArmy and I can't even find any traces of him on the net. As I said I love the hack but it definitely needs modern updates.

I do not have any knowlwdge of using the many tools ROM Hackers use and my knowledge is only limited to applying .ips patches. So I hope you can help me out. As I would like to update Ultra Violet for myself and would like links to where I might get .ips patches for these modern additions I can patch onto Ultra Violet myself.

It's a real shame LSA has apparently left the ROM Hacking scene as Ultra Violet was ground breaking back in its day. I especially love its catch your own Starter Pokemon mechanic where Professor Oak takes you to a secret section in his lab where you can catch a few other Pokemon available if you do not like the three starters. You can even play a self imposed "Hard Mode" by catching a Ghastly and starting off your journey with a Ghost type facing Ratattas and Pidgeys on Roure 1.

Years
    Hey Dearman4 I hope you can help me out with something.

I really want to play a modern updated Fire Red game but Fire Red Throwback just doesn't cut it for me. Sure it has modern updates like the Physica/Special Split, being able to Run Indoors, updates to moves, modern Repel System, the modern Exp. share mechanics and a whole slew of other QoL additions but the fact of the matter is it doesn't have all 386 Pokemon and the hack's author hasn't yet put out new word of when the Hoenn Pokemon will be added in.

One Fire Red hack I liked that tried its own take on being able to catch 'em all was and still is Pokemon Ultra Violet. Sadly it has already been abandoned by its author LockSmithArmy and I can't even find any traces of him on the net. As I said I love the hack but it definitely needs modern updates.

I do not have any knowlwdge of using the many tools ROM Hackers use and my knowledge is only limited to applying .ips patches. So I hope you can help me out. As I would like to update Ultra Violet for myself and would like links to where I might get .ips patches for these modern additions I can patch onto Ultra Violet myself.

It's a real shame LSA has apparently left the ROM Hacking scene as Ultra Violet was ground breaking back in its day. I especially love its catch your own Starter Pokemon mechanic where Professor Oak takes you to a secret section in his lab where you can catch a few other Pokemon available if you do not like the three starters. You can even play a self imposed "Hard Mode" by catching a Ghastly and starting off your journey with a Ghost type facing Ratattas and Pidgeys on Roure 1.

Most all those types of additions you'll need to add in yourself as IPS patches aren't universally compatible between hacks, and you couldn't use any of mine since the base ROMs are different. Changing wilds is super easy with AdvanceMap, you just go to whatever route you want to edit and select which pokemon will spawn there. The other QoL additions are a touch trickier, I was able to get all I needed from the 'ROM Hacking Help' forum on this site, specifically check the Quick Research and Development Thread and the ASM Resource Thread. If you need help understanding the stuff there feel free to message me directly!

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2020
    uuuuhhhhh i think something is wrong with moemon jirachi dosnt have the normal sprite that i found on the internet for this moemon and its also distorted in colors, im also getting long and cursed text when i do the cut trees surf and other hm stuff, it happened after i isntalled the moemon 2.0 that was posted in chat since 2.1 didnt work. any fix to that or am i stuck with this cursed look for jirachi???

edit: i would kinda post a picture but i cant apparently because the site has a stupid rule of posting 5 times before i can do that
    edit edit: ok just found out its also dyoxis and its the same sprite they have except for the cursed colors being two different ones and a different face, really sad about this so hope someone knows a fix or something, i installed the moemon last like the guide told so i dont see what the problem should be, i did put moemon on after i beat the league and have played for a hours because i didnt find the comment with 2.0 version at first, maybe that could be the reason for this mess? should i just reinstall the whole rom and start from the beginning again??????

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2024
    Most all those types of additions you'll need to add in yourself as IPS patches aren't universally compatible between hacks, and you couldn't use any of mine since the base ROMs are different. Changing wilds is super easy with AdvanceMap, you just go to whatever route you want to edit and select which pokemon will spawn there. The other QoL additions are a touch trickier, I was able to get all I needed from the 'ROM Hacking Help' forum on this site, specifically check the Quick Research and Development Thread and the ASM Resource Thread. If you need help understanding the stuff there feel free to message me directly!

Thanks for the reply Dearman4 👍

I'll look into those two links you provided 😊

It's still a crying shame LSA has left the scene and no one wanted to pick up where he left off. And to think Ultra Violet didn't even stray too far from the original Fire Red/Leaf Green story and Gameplay mechanic. LSA just added a sensible way to have access to all Gen 1 to Gen 3 'mons by adding a new island area where every Gen III Pokes' were located.

Last edited:

Akiak

dreamin'
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Hey Dearman4 I hope you can help me out with something

You could also use the Reasonable Randomizer to inject all 386 mons into the wild, it has a 'Retain Habitat' option that makes sure Pokemon aren't placed in nonsensical locations (Pidgeys in the water, etc.) and a 'Retain Strength' option so weaker Pokemon appear early, etc.

I honestly don't know why it isn't the go-to randomizer at this point, I could never go back to full randomizers like UPR

You can also randomize Trainer Pokemon while maintaining their type specialties (Bug Catchers have Bug Pokemon, Brock has Rock types, etc.)

Also it works with Throwback, in fact I think it should work with most ROM hacks...

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2022
    great hack. was reading your Reddit thread and saw you say that your next update is going to be really substantial, with changes/features that will make it incompatible with saves for older verions. how far along are you on the new version/when might it come out (rough estimate)? just hoping to start my next emerald run on the new version of the hack and wanted a ballpark. thanks!

Years
    uuuuhhhhh i think something is wrong with moemon jirachi dosnt have the normal sprite that i found on the internet for this moemon and its also distorted in colors, im also getting long and cursed text when i do the cut trees surf and other hm stuff, it happened after i isntalled the moemon 2.0 that was posted in chat since 2.1 didnt work. any fix to that or am i stuck with this cursed look for jirachi???

edit: i would kinda post a picture but i cant apparently because the site has a stupid rule of posting 5 times before i can do that
    edit edit: ok just found out its also dyoxis and its the same sprite they have except for the cursed colors being two different ones and a different face, really sad about this so hope someone knows a fix or something, i installed the moemon last like the guide told so i dont see what the problem should be, i did put moemon on after i beat the league and have played for a hours because i didnt find the comment with 2.0 version at first, maybe that could be the reason for this mess? should i just reinstall the whole rom and start from the beginning again??????

Why didn't the newest one work? It should fix most of those issues if I remember correctly...

As for restarting, you won't have to worry about your savegame, really you could use an Emerald Final save on a vanilla ROM with no problems iirc. You may want to repatch a fresh ROM just import the save file and it'll work fine.

Years
    great hack. was reading your Reddit thread and saw you say that your next update is going to be really substantial, with changes/features that will make it incompatible with saves for older verions. how far along are you on the new version/when might it come out (rough estimate)? just hoping to start my next emerald run on the new version of the hack and wanted a ballpark. thanks!

Honestly I'm nowhere near as far as I would like to be, I've been working seven days a week for months so any free time I've gotten has been put toward other activities, for example I'm way behind on my reading 😓

I think I'm going to end up holding off on the BIG addition of 4th gen evos, which is the only thing that will make old save ls incompatible though my plan is to include a 'legacy' version that will have all the non save breaking features from here on. In my efforts to make Final as approachable as possible it's causing a bit more work because I'll be maintaining three versions: legacy, updated without 4th gen evos, and one with the 4th gen evos. Those last two are in case you decide to transfer a save between 4th gen evolutions' availability and will work both ways.

So far the only things I've gotten accomplished are mostly in the information organizing area, for example I've written up every pokemon's full moveset including denoting changes and gen 5/6 stat updates, noted the differences in wild held items (dragon fang made THAT a thing lol), added level resetting after gyms, and added XD only moves tutors. I still have to actually implement most of that and get around to static legendary encounters but it's a bit of grunt work to be had so it'll be a while until I can have sufficient time to work on it!

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2024
    You could also use the Reasonable Randomizer to inject all 386 mons into the wild, it has a 'Retain Habitat' option that makes sure Pokemon aren't placed in nonsensical locations (Pidgeys in the water, etc.) and a 'Retain Strength' option so weaker Pokemon appear early, etc.

I honestly don't know why it isn't the go-to randomizer at this point, I could never go back to full randomizers like UPR

You can also randomize Trainer Pokemon while maintaining their type specialties (Bug Catchers have Bug Pokemon, Brock has Rock types, etc.)

Also it works with Throwback, in fact I think it should work with most ROM hacks...

It's not about randomly injecting 'mons where ever though. Just like Dearman4's hack here, "Ultra Violet" also added a few QoL additions that were available at that time, around 2012 give or take. A lot more just came out since and they need to be added onto it. One neat feature "Ultra Violet" had that apparently didn't become popular enough was its use of "Shiny Tiles". Throughout the game there are special tiles in every map that always produces Shiny Encounters every time an encounter ensues on said specific tile. Shinies were still the rage back then and Ultra Violet provided a sure fire way to catch some. Ultra Violet was also the first Fire Red ROM Hack I played where Umbreon and Espeon evolved from Eevee using either a Moon or Sun Stone.

Akiak

dreamin'
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    It's not about randomly injecting 'mons where ever though. Just like Dearman4's hack here, "Ultra Violet" also added a few QoL additions that were available at that time, around 2012 give or take. A lot more just came out since and they need to be added onto it. One neat feature "Ultra Violet" had that apparently didn't become popular enough was its use of "Shiny Tiles". Throughout the game there are special tiles in every map that always produces Shiny Encounters every time an encounter ensues on said specific tile. Shinies were still the rage back then and Ultra Violet provided a sure fire way to catch some. Ultra Violet was also the first Fire Red ROM Hack I played where Umbreon and Espeon evolved from Eevee using either a Moon or Sun Stone.

Sure, but you can use Throwback as a base, which has quite a few QoL additions. Of course it's not the most amazing solution out there but it might be better than manually inserting all the mons yourself

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2020
    Why didn't the newest one work? It should fix most of those issues if I remember correctly...

As for restarting, you won't have to worry about your savegame, really you could use an Emerald Final save on a vanilla ROM with no problems iirc. You may want to repatch a fresh ROM just import the save file and it'll work fine.

so i tried the one that follows with the emerald final download you have up where the moemon is patched with another tool, but when i did that it said "the patch dosnt match, patching canceled" and it couldnt be patched, why i used 2.0 i found in the comments

Last edited:
    Years
    so i tried the one that follows with the emerald final download you have up where the moemon is patched with another tool, but when i did that it said "the patch dosnt match, canceling patching" and it couldnt be patched, why i used 2.0 i found in the comments

You have to check the IGNORE option to make it apply the patch

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2020

You have to check the IGNORE option to make it apply the patch

omg it works, i love you so much, tho where did it say to check the ignore i looked in the readme and it didnt look like it said it anywhere, or is it just a standard ups patching thing to do i just didnt know???

Years
    omg it works, i love you so much, tho where did it say to check the ignore i looked in the readme and it didnt look like it said it anywhere, or is it just a standard ups patching thing to do i just didnt know???

I thought I put it in the README but I may have missed that. I consider it a standard practice lol

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2024
    Hey Dearman4 I read a few posts up that you're considering adding GEN IV Evos. How are you going to go about it? Will you take out other mons, preferably ones with no other evos? Or has ROM Hacking advanced to the point one can now expand the Pokedex so you can add more mons now? Incidentally these GEN IV evos would be a great addition to the game indeed 👍👌

Years
    Hey Dearman4 I read a few posts up that you're considering adding GEN IV Evos. How are you going to go about it? Will you take out other mons, preferably ones with no other evos? Or has ROM Hacking advanced to the point one can now expand the Pokedex so you can add more mons now? Incidentally these GEN IV evos would be a great addition to the game indeed 👍👌

Actually there are hacks out there that have Gen VI pokemon and beyond so it's not like this is something new tbh lol but there's this page that has the utility I'm going to use to expand the dex, no need to remove any pokemon.

Back