• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokemon Factory Adventure - A 90s internet nostalgia trip with Roaming Red scaling (VERSION 3.2 UPDATE 11/12)

Cam

dum camel
Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2022
    Pokemon Factory Adventure
    A hack based on Roaming Red by TShadowKnight

github link

Our two-game trailer with Gold & Silver 97: Reforged:

a2cg58u.png

Art by Ahab - Full Resolution

VERSION 3.2 Update 11/12/20:
    -Fixes a bug at the Battle Tent that caused incorrect box data
    -Removed scaling from the prize mons at the game corner to prevent players from locking themselves out of dex completion due to evo stage scaling in the wild
    -Fixed some stone evolutions learnsets, especially Eevee's evolutions to be less punishing if evolved early
    -Fixed an AI oversight with new moves
    -Fixed Route 7 gate bug
    -Fixed bug in Seafoam Islands causing erroneous surf encounters
    -Fixed oversight of Hunter, Wendigo, and Psything not being in the wild

The year is 199X. Several months after becoming champion of the Kanto Region, Red is called back by Blue to help on a secret mystery-solving mission! In Red's absence the Kanto region has been overtaken by a strange mist that mutates Pokemon into shocking new forms, and the military has instated a lockdown! Are you a bad enough detective to discover the origin of the mutations and save Kanto?

This hack is based on a fansite some older Pokemon fans may remember from the late 90s called "The Pokemon Factory". On it, fans (presumably kids) would email in their ideas for new Pokemon to the site's artists who would make sprites and Pokedex entries of them to be displayed. These Pokedex mockups have made the rounds on the internet in the years since, with some even gaining notoriety as "Pokegods".

Features include:
    *Gameplay from Roaming Red, an open-world Red hack by TShadowKnight:
    -Selectable starting town, scaling levels based on your team, built-in randomizer options, and a fully open Kanto to explore in any order!
    *An all-new story about an imperiled Kanto!
    *190 Pokemon to collect, created by kids in the 90s
    *New locations to explore
    *New Moves
    *New Gym Leaders and other event battles
    *The return of the Battle Tent from Pokemon Anniversary Red

Screenshots:
    Zoqb4Tq.png

Credits:
    External Developers:

*TShadowKnight & Co. - Creating the original Roaming Red that this is codebased on (https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=403522)
    *TPP Devs - Battle Tent from Anniversary Red
    *Luna - Some bugfix code used from Red++

Addtional Game & Art work:
    *luckytyphlosion, Rangi, Pfero - ASM & decomp assistance
    *Quent, TurboSpurdo, TC, PolandDev - additional writing & suggestions
    *Rool, TC, and a fren :) - additional art
    *Ahab's Art (https://twitter.com/ahabsartwork) - Box promo art

Source Images & Content:
    *jdonald - the original PF archive (https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~jdonald/pokemon/factory/)
    *Kaiser233 on deviantart - additional 90s fakemon archival source images (https://www.deviantart.com/kaiser233/gallery)

Attachments

• Pokemon Factory Adventure v3.2_111220.ips
      503.4 KB · Views: 1,119
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2024
    Looking forward to this!

What do you mean? The patch file is attached to the OP. It's out.
    I did playtesting for this hack - it's a great one! superb implementation of open world, felt like there was enough going on to discourage "boss rush" syndrome. I wish Zippo was real.

mattgcn

Fakemon Lurker
    Years
  • Ahhh my introduction to the wide world of Fakemon! It's so cool to see these dudes in a playable format. There's still a bit of Pokemon Factory around (though I don't think any of the RBY-era staff has been around in well over a decade, but there's a discord!) and it's linked on the archive you linked!

GenuineMoppy

Pokémon Factory Staff Artist
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Oct 30, 2020
    I certainly wasn't expecting this on a friday night :0
    Good Stuff! I wasn't a PF user until way after the RBY era designs were done, but it still nice to see someone still care for the old janky monsters.

Cam

dum camel
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2022
    I certainly wasn't expecting this on a friday night :0
    Good Stuff! I wasn't a PF user until way after the RBY era designs were done, but it still nice to see someone still care for the old janky monsters.

Glad to see some of the old PF staff still existing! I loved the site as a kid and always wanted to do something with the wacky designs.

mattgcn

Fakemon Lurker
    Years
  • I definitely want to have a look at included mons at some point... I literally used to print out the dex entries, using way too much ink on my moms printer in like, 2001. They're burned into my brain

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2021
    i know this is a Roaming Red problem, but this level scaling is super poorly implemented, it should scale to the player's badge count, not their highest leveled pokemon. if this hack had a scaling system closer to Crystal Clear, I could call this decent, but as it is, starting off, it is a frustrating mess and is basically impossible to progress just because the high leveled pokemon do way too much damage to reliably level up.

EDIT: and honestly, a port to gbc in function could be interesting, if it allows some of these mons to have the original palettes from pokemon factory.

Last edited:

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • i know this is a Roaming Red problem, but this level scaling is super poorly implemented, it should scale to the player's badge count, not their highest leveled pokemon. if this hack had a scaling system closer to Crystal Clear, I could call this decent, but as it is, starting off, it is a frustrating mess and is basically impossible to progress just because the high leveled pokemon do way too much damage to reliably level up.

EDIT: and honestly, a port to gbc in function could be interesting, if it allows some of these mons to have the original palettes from pokemon factory.

I completely agree with you on this. I thinks. Crystal clear level like scalling could make this hack several times more enjoyable. I mean, after every trainer battle I end up scurrying back to the Pokémon centre because the opponent's Pokémon share the same level as my highest levelled up Mon.

Years
  • I just saw this posted on ROMhacking.net last night, going to definitely try it out but the level scaling issue people have been mentioning does have me a bit worried...

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2024
    The scaling does make it rather on the hard side, can't deny that, but you have ample cash to go out and buy oodles of items when you start. Once you fill out your team and start getting TMs things are MUCH more manageable. There's also more than a few starting locations that allow you to very quickly get on an even or superior footing with the enemies if you look around a little. However if you started in Cerulean or Lavender, you're in for a rough time. Conversely, Fuschia and Celadon starts help make things easier.

Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2021
    honestly, if i were to do a level-scaling thing, i'd much rather do a weighted average on the levels (so an average of your team's levels, weighted towards the higher end)

Cam

dum camel
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2022
    Version 2.0 is now out, fixes a couple major bugs. Enjoy everyone! A special trailer is also coming out soon for this and another project by me and a few friends so look forward to it.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • Version 2.0 is now out, fixes a couple major bugs. Enjoy everyone! A special trailer is also coming out soon for this and another project by me and a few friends so look forward to it.

Aye congrats on releasing version. Thought I'd ask if the scaling has been altered in the newly released version, or is it still the same as version 1? Thanks!

Back