• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Pokemon G/S/C

m

Pokemon Rule. Simply Put.
Years
  • Ahh its me, m, again ;)

Just coming back into Pokemon again as I can never seem to get it out of my head lol. I have a lot in my life right now and its hard to find time but I will.

I know it sounds like this thread is pointless by my real point is, is that I will be using an emulator to play the good ol' GSC again. The question I want to ask is if anyone else gets a special/warm feeling when they play these classic games that DP or even RSE just won't give?

Even if theres less to do with less Pokemon and bad graphics, I think thats what makes it special.

So if you want, please share your stories/input on this :classic:

Years
  • Yeah, definitely, the GSC generation brings something to the table that no other game can. It's amazing what Nintendo managed to do considering the limitations of the GBC. It's by far the longest adventure, and the sprites/pokemon in this game at least make sense, unlike in other games *points at Diamond*. Even if there is a remake on the DS, I'll probably still like the old one more. Also, the music in these games pwns.

Jap

The Elitist
    Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2012
    Yeah, IGN gave R/B/Y a 10 out of 10 and G/S a 10 out of 10 and.... Crystal a 9 out of ten. WTH? Anyways, I love these games, way better than D/P, R/S/E, R/B/Y. The only reason I started playing again was because I started to play zel's Shiny Gold, which got me to play these wonderful 2nd Gen games. My favourite would probably be Gold or Silver.

m

Years
  • The only problem I can find is not being able to trade and get all the Pokemon. My friend would, but you can't trade over a network. Or can you...Lol I love how DP have more Pokemon but GSC and RBY were just the best. I just wish there was an easy way for me and my friends to trade across emulators...Being that I'm a perfectionist I don't want to play the game unless I know I can get all the Pokemon. I don't trust other peoples patches and such because theres a really slight chance that the Pokemon might be cheated. Which also makes me worry...

Last edited:
    Years
  • Actually, GBCemu is an emulator that permits you to trade pokemon. Obviously, you would have to start the game up in two separate windows and go from there. So if you and your friends are playing it you'd need a floppy disk or something though.

Anyway, back on topic, I've played RBY and GSC enough times that I know exactly what to expect, where to go, which pokemon I usually catch and where I catch them, where various items are, and sometimes even what each trainer says before battling. Nostalgia is such an interesting sensation.

m

Years
  • Actually, GBCemu is an emulator that permits you to trade pokemon. Obviously, you would have to start the game up in two separate windows and go from there. So if you and your friends are playing it you'd need a floppy disk or something though.

Anyway, back on topic, I've played RBY and GSC enough times that I know exactly what to expect, where to go, which pokemon I usually catch and where I catch them, where various items are, and sometimes even what each trainer says before battling. Nostalgia is such an interesting sensation.

Very true. Yes, I know I can trade with 2 open Emulators in the same off the same computer but it would be much more convenient if it had WiFi or something lol.

Yeah, it is interesting. Even though it can get boring, or the graphics are pixelated it still has that feeling that no other game can give. I remember playing these games when I was like 6 and I got my first Pokemon Red game. Even when I got Pokemon Blue it didn't matter to me that they were the same, that was just another adventure. It just seems that the more Pokemon Nintendo produces the more they destroy the fine image that Pokemon used to have. Ash, Misty, Brock. The ultimate friendship, it was classic. Even if there was a remake, it wouldn't be the same, which people think it would, but it wouldn't. The originals will always be the real deal, nothing can replace them.

I wish more people would post instead of somebody every 5 hours but lol what can I do. Thanks for everyone who's shared so far though =]

m

Years
  • I love the abilities and the new mechanics that were put into the games the the newer gens use almost constantly. The sprite characters are my favorite as well.

Yeah but that's not what this threads particularly about lol. Plus, the fact that the older games DON'T have that stuff is also what helps make them more special to the people who used to love them.

m

Years
  • Well I use the game to see what I can do that I forgot to do when I was younger. If one were able to put the games on a cartage then you could use them in a game and trade.

Yeah..And the ones that were already on the cartridge are already dead, and or, going to die. Plus the emulator can be played right off my computer which is nice. I just wish I could find a way to trade. Is it possible to give someone your file then they trade right off the computer? Me and my friend trust each other so its completely safe. We still wouldn't be able to battle but we would atleast be able to get all the Pokemon then. Just a thought.

m

Years
  • you could sed him the the save file for the rom and he can trade with that and send you the finished copy. then you could overwrite your copy once you get it back.

Cool, how do you do this? Like I know once we get far in the game (beat it actually) and want to start collecting that we can send each other our save file but how do you do that? I don't even know what its called when you do that lol..And overwriting? I'm lost lol, I'm new to emulation also.

m

Years
  • Well what emulator are you using? and are they the same game? If they are it might make things slightly difficult.

Well It's VBA Link which Is what I thought was the most popular or used one. And I'm playing Pokemon Gold and my friend is playing Pokemon Silver. I just got him into emulation a little while back also.

kirby144

A proud Wotcher at heart
    Years
  • Well It's VBA Link which Is what I thought was the most popular or used one. And I'm playing Pokemon Gold and my friend is playing Pokemon Silver. I just got him into emulation a little while back also.
    Well last time I checked. Vbalink doesn't support Gameboy Color and below games but let me find something here. I can't find anything sorry. I could try to find a way around the linking to allow GBC games. If you can tell me what version you are using that will help.

PS: I think that this theard should be moved to Emulation.

Years
  • Well I use the game to see what I can do that I forgot to do when I was younger. If one were able to put the games on a cartage then you could use them in a game and trade.
    Its for this reason I bought a flash card. I'm not actually sure if it has trading or not (I haven't tried) but I can say that (on mine specifically) Real Time Clock does NOT work, but I have a patched Gold version that lets me change the clock before each time I play.

If you got $20, a flash card might be a good investment, what with all the save batteries dying and what not.

Edit - I second what Kirby says. This should be in emulation.

m

Years
  • Its for this reason I bought a flash card. I'm not actually sure if it has trading or not (I haven't tried) but I can say that (on mine specifically) Real Time Clock does NOT work, but I have a patched Gold version that lets me change the clock before each time I play.

If you got $20, a flash card might be a good investment, what with all the save batteries dying and what not.

Edit - I second what Kirby says. This should be in emulation.

Well it started out to be about Pokemon GSC but I just had some questions about Emulation. Mainly its for people to say about how they got their first game or why they think it is better then the newer games.

Ruffresia

Johto Coordinator.
    Years
  • Ah, I love G/S/C. They're really the most amazing Pokémon games ever created, imo. I loved the music, the fact that Pokémon could hold items, the new Pokémon, etc. I also love how you could travel back to Kanto in those games, since Johto and Kanto are my favorite regions. Those games, I think, revolutionized Pokémon. It introduced the female protagonist, breeding, held items, berries, wandering Pokémon, and lots of other stuff. These games also brought me lots of fun and laughs. :x

Erbe

Misses the good old days :(
    Years
  • ah good old gsc :) i actually downloaded all the rby and gsc games, beat yellow in one night because i got hooked! i remember being the only one in my school who knew the glitch for "infinate master balls and rare candy" and missingno.. back in the good old days.. i actually dont get a warm feeling, i get a sad one
    :( i miss those days!

Ah, I love G/S/C. They're really the most amazing Pokémon games ever created, imo. I loved the music, the fact that Pokémon could hold items, the new Pokémon, etc. I also love how you could travel back to Kanto in those games, since Johto and Kanto are my favorite regions. Those games, I think, revolutionized Pokémon. It introduced the female protagonist, breeding, held items, berries, wandering Pokémon, and lots of other stuff. These games also brought me lots of fun and laughs. :x

i definately agree with you, 100%!

Last edited:
    Back