• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Liquid

How d oyou think I'm progressing on this game?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RM2K3kid

Insane..
    Years
    I need suggestions for the enemy stats formulas. In the gb games, they used a lot of formulas that included the Pokemon's unique id to calculate its attack, hp, speed, etc. from its level. I could do this in RMXP very easily, but I'm thinking if I did all this an event, the event would lag. What should I do?
    How about you try doing it in an event and test a few times, then you can see if it's going to be a problem. I wouldn't think it would lag, but who knows it might.

PokeCreator_09

RM2K3 Professional
    Years
    Well, just think, if I had 5 pokemon in my first route, I'd have to map each pokemon to an id#, change their stats(I'll have to do either way), change their level with their stats, and everything else. This would take a long time, and would be worth it, but the event would be so big, I thik it would lag. Do you think if I split it up among tabs like you did with the DNP Pokemon setup it would work better?

Thanks,
    ~PokeCreator_09~

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    I don't think it would lag at all. I have did it with my past games (and my current one) and there has been no lag at all. If you are worried about lag put a "wait 0.0" command between ur lines. Adding a "Wait 0.0" command will nnot slow down the game (since it not actually waiting any time)- but it will break up all the coding lines- so that your code aint doing all the maths at once. Give it a try.

PokeCreator_09

RM2K3 Professional
    Years
    Thanks, I didn't think about that. I knew if you put a wait event at the beginning of a common event it'll make the game run smoother,but didn't realize you could put them between the lines like that, but I see why it works.

Like I said before, I was gone all day today, so sorry for no screenies, but my parents didn't tell me we were going somewhere today until this morning.

I'll put some up tomorrow as long as I don't go anywhere.lol.

Edit:I'm finally making progress with the Route 4 battle system. So far, this is what I've gotten done today:
    -pokemon encounters. The pokemon you'll encounter on Route 4 will be
    Rattata, Jigglypuff, Pidgey, Bulbasaur(rare), starly, and Budew. You have a1
    in 13 random chance to see Bulbasaur.
    -I've gotten the attacks to show up and you can choose which one to
    execute. Of course I've only programmed in Tackle and Tailwhip, but It'll take
    a long time to put all the attacks in there, which is not on my list of urgent
    stuff.
    -I've decided to put all the formulas for pokemons stas, damage calculations, etc., however for the time being there will be no EV's. This might change, but It takes a long time to input all that data, and since It'sjust me, I don't have time, but might do it after I've finished the rest of the game.

Okay, I'll post some screen shots in a little while, hopefully someone else posts so I don't have to do another edit!lol.

Crazy Weavile

Manufacturing a deity
    Years
    This is looking great, but that's been said before, so it isn't the main subject of my post. I should note I've never used RM2k3 before, so some of the terms might be different, but it's all simple stuff that should be in every RPG Maker.

Rather, the letter system you were interested in. It's really, really simple, and doesn't even take any RMXP scripting magic. Make a new event for the mailbox, and set it to Action Button. Then, we'll assume we're working with three possible letters- obviously there'd be more in a real game, but I'm lazy and don't want to type a whole set of them. Give the event a total of four pages. Then, you need to assign a variable for the letters.
    0: None recieved
    1: One recieved
    2: Two recieved
    3: Three recieved

Now, go to the first event page, and don't bother with any conditions... it works anyway. Just have the following text.

"The mailbox is empty."

For page two, give the player two choices and make it have the variable at 1 as a requirement.

"TEST's Letter"
    "CANCEL"
    For Test's Letter, input the following text.
    "TEST's Letter: This is a test letter!"
    For Cancel, just let the text string end.

For page three, give the player three choices and make it have the variable at 2 as a requirement.

"TEST's Letter"
    "GUY's Letter"
    "CANCEL"
    For Guy's Letter, input the following text.
    "GUY's Letter: Another test letter!"

For page four, give the player choices and make it have the variable at 3 as a requirement.

"TEST's Letter"
    "GUY's Letter"
    "GAL's Letter"
    "CANCEL"
    For Guy's Letter, input the following text.
    "GUY's Letter: Another test letter!"
    For Gal's Letter, input the following text.
    "GAL's Letter: Yet another test letter!"

Was that much help? I should note to other readers that this can ONLY be used with my permission, which has already been granted to Liquid, of course.

Last edited:

PokeCreator_09

RM2K3 Professional
    Years
    Yah, I knid of figured how to do that already, but thanks alot. If I do one, it won't be all that simple. It'll be the same idea, and still easy, but you'll get letters after you complete something, and you may even have a time you have to deliver someone's mail or something, I don't know yet. I think you should put this in the tutorials section for the noobs though, unless you don't want to have anybody use it, but anyone with good knowledge of events can code it there own way.

Screens coming later!
    :)

PokeCreator_09

RM2K3 Professional
    Years
    Oh, no. I'll figure it out when the time comes. I'mvery mechanical, meaning I understand how things work, like when we learn something in math, I understand it easily because I know how it works, or why it works, am I confusing? Anyway, when I want to figure out how to code something, I think like a computer, and think what commands would I understand. But that is a good layout for it.

EDIT:Well, here are some screenshots(It's 11:50 pm where I'm at so I did put them up today like I said.lol.):

Pokemon Liquid

Pokemon Liquid

Pokemon Liquid

Unfortunately, as you can see, I have a lot of work to do. Te reasons the names are off and the HP Bars and stuff is because I haven't made the resources, and I have nobody to HELP!!!!

I feel kind of stupid because I didn't realize RM2K3Kid did any trainer battles or anything until I was taking screenshots and the trainer saw me. I always walked around them, so I didn't even notice it, and I didn't think the battle maps in the map bank were anywhere near completed. So they may save me some time.

Okay again, I can't do this on my own without taking another year to complete this game, I need some help. I need spriters for jobs like a back sprite of the hero, cause I don't have one. I can do walking sprites, but nothing from scratch like that. I also need just resources help, even if it's just making hp bars, every little bit helps. I mean, most projects have a team with a couple spriters, a mapper, a scripter or two, and other people. It's just me and I get some help from RM2K3Kid sometimes, but I can't do it alone anymore.

Death Rogers

Great Old One
    Years
    HP bars? I could get the pictures for them. But, unfortunately, I don't know how to script. I could help with getting sprites. I'm decently good at that. Throw me a PM if you think I could be of the slightest use.

PokeCreator_09

RM2K3 Professional
    Years
    HP bars? I could get the pictures for them. But, unfortunately, I don't know how to script. I could help with getting sprites. I'm decently good at that. Throw me a PM if you think I could be of the slightest use.

Well I have the Pics for the HP part of thebar, what I don't have are the names. It's easy in RMXP because you can script and It'll put the name on the screen where you tell it to. In RM2K3, you have to make a picture of each one.What I'm going to do is make a few HP bars that I use with every pokemon, then just make a pic with their names in the proper font, that'll show over the HP Bar. If you can do that, it'd be appreciated. It's cutting and pasting, but TIME CONSUMING!lol

Thanks,
    ~PokeCreator_09~

Death Rogers

Great Old One
    Years
    No problem. I've dealt with worse.

This is all I got so far.

Pokemon Liquid

Is this what you're looking for? I could do more. It only took 6 minutes.

PokeCreator_09

RM2K3 Professional
    Years
    Okay, what I'm looking for is very close. Take and delete the picture ouitside of the text, but keep it the same position in the picture so It'll be easy to place. The reason I want to do this is so I can have a couple different HP bars, and not like 1000! So, I can put the name on the screen, and not have to worry about getting a pic of the HP bar that has some damage with that pokemon's name. But like I said before, I need help so I'm not gonna be picky, I can edit them later, I guess.

Thanks,
    ~PokeCreator_09~

Death Rogers

Great Old One
    Years
    Oh, okay. Text'll be much, MUCH easier.

I'm working on Rattata at the moment. I'll do the rest in the second.

EDIT: I finished with Rattatta and Jigglypuff.

Pokemon Liquid

EDIT #2: I finished Pidgey and Bulbasaur.

Pokemon Liquid

Anything else I could help with? Attack pictures perhaps?

Last edited:

Death Rogers

Great Old One
    Years
    Well, again, anything else you want me to help with? I could do attack sprites. I also have some Fakemon you could put in. PM me if you're interested in that.

PokeCreator_09

RM2K3 Professional
    Years
    Well, I've been PMing Death Rodgers and he's got some pretty good sprites, so you'll see more soon.

Here's what I got left for the Route 4 Battle:
    1. Some graphical things.
    2. Exp. gain., and EVs(arghh)
    3. programming the enemy attacks. I still don't understand how the enemies in
    the GB games knows what attacks to use. I may have something like If Var:
    Pokemon1_type=1, then use mud slap. Type 1 being physical of course(or
    normal.lol)
    That's about it.

Death Rogers

Great Old One
    Years
    Keep up the good work. I'm really excited about this. When the game is done, you'll feel awesome about all the hard work you put in.

PokeCreator_09

RM2K3 Professional
    Years
    I hope, cause if I don't, I won't spend the time to port it, but I'm sure I will.lol

Edit:Okay, I've got something in the game that's really getting on my nerves and I've tryed to recode it, but its a pain in the butt. When you come back from the DNP, and after you talk to the professor, Ryan joins you. Well, the part of the sequence where he walks up to you was very buggy, meaning he'
    d walk in two places, with two Ryans and stuf(one of the mwould be fast and go where you wanted him, and th eother would go slow and go to the sign??? No matter how much I look I cannot find the event that tells it to move. I tryed to put in the event you touch to make him move, but as you can see, that makes two Ryans.

I finally came to the point where I was like, forget it. I made a completely dif event with Ryan's pic, and told it to move that, same thing. Then, I kept the original and the new event, and now there's only the one that goes to the sign in the middle of the town. P.S. even if I delete the original event, put a new one on a completely dif tile, and change the events around, the second ryan still shows up.arggggh

This is a relatively easy problem, but I can't find the event that makes the other ryan move. I think it might be the PC setter, but I cannot find where it would teleport it to that spot on he map. I've also looked at all the common events, and did a search of all the variables used in the process, but it turns up only the two events(ryan and the start event).

Anyways, if anyone can figure out this problem, it'll put your name in the credits. Note, you have an earlier version that I do, so it might be easier without all the tweaking and stuff that I've implemented.

Thanks,
    ~PokeCreator_09~

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back