• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Nicknames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autobot Silverwynde

Automaton Protector
Years
  • In Black, I nicknamed my Golurk Riser. Why? That little Golett I caught quickly rose through the ranks and became the team leader, besting even those with a type advantage. If I needed a win, I would call upon him and he would get it. He would "rise" to the occasion for me so I named him Riser.

In Pearl, I nicknamed my shiny Electivire Bumblebee because his coloration matched the Transformer. (Blue eyes, golden yellow--yep, looked like movie Bumblebee to me!) I also named my Palkia Vector Prym, which is a shortened version of Vector Prime who is a Transformer who can control time and space. (I name a lot of my Pokemon after Transformers. I'm weird like that.)

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
    Years
  • I got a Blitzle named Zecora after that Zebra in My little Pony Friendship is Magic
    I caught a stoutland and named it Alex D. Gr8 after alexander the great for no reason
    and a rapidash named Dr.Whooves after Doctor Who

Cyprium

Maître de la Terre
    Years
  • I got a Blitzle named Zecora after that Zebra in My little Pony Friendship is Magic
    Haha, I have a Zebstrika named Zecora too.

I nickname all of my Pokémon, and most of them for no particular reason. I think that my favourite one is a Litwick I have on Black whose name is "Erik". Knowing that he'd evolve into a Chandelure at some point, I named him after the Phantom of the Opera. Haha... ha.....

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
  • I nickname all of the Pokemon on my team, because I wouldn't go around irl calling my pet, 'dog', or 'German Shepherd'. However I am horrible at coming up with name that I like being a perfectionist and all...

Here are the four that are on my team currently. I am trying to figure out the last two Pokémon I want on my team.

Samurott is named Moka, I was sitting in a coffee shop on Black and White release day. I was sitting there trying to come up with a name that would work for my starter so I could get on to play the game. I went with the name of coffee shop. "Moka's"

Typhlosion imported from S/S is named Ruby. I am not sure why, but for some reason I named one Typhlosion Ruby, and the name as stuck, so every Typhlosion I get in a game I usually end up naming Ruby after their eyes.

Espeon named Shadow. I figured that naming it after something dark, people would assume it was a dark type Pokemon and would throw them off in battle. That and I had a dog named Shadow once which I probably subconsciously stole from the Golden Retriever in Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey.

Mienshao named Chase. I have no idea where the name came from. All I know is that I wanted a Mienshao on my team so when I got a Mienfoo I was stuck with coming up with a name, the name Chase popped in my head, so I ran with it.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I am a big advocate for nicknaming Pokemon.I nickname ALL of my Pokemon, it makes them seem less like fighting slaves. It adds a touch of personalization. I either name them in relation to their type, something thier species is known for, a name I think is cool for them, or a people name.

Years
  • I only name a very few select pokemon in my games. Usually for the new games that come out, I hold off until I know the names of all the new pokemon.

I usually nickname my Electric pokemon (ALWAYS have at least one in my party since Gen III, I had a Lv. 80+ Plusle) Sparky. I know it's cliche and overused, but it's the name of my main electric pokemon, and they are usually the highest leveled on my team at any given time.

My very first pokemon I had ever gotten is Shellshock the Squirtle, now Blastoise, on my Pokemon Blue game. The battery is still kicking, so I still have that memory. (: I named him that when I was like, 5ish, and I don't remember why. It was before the First Movie's Shellshocker the Blastoise.

Years
  • I nickname all of the Pokemon on my team, because I wouldn't go around irl calling my pet, 'dog', or 'German Shepherd'. However I am horrible at coming up with name that I like being a perfectionist and all...

This is exactly how I used to think. I can no longer be bothered though. I started a new Blaze Black game and when I had to come up with a nickname for my first pokémon I was just like what the hell, screw those nicknames. And I kind of like not using them.

Joshawott

Banned
    Years
  • I always nickname the six members of my team, the only exception was my first time through White in which I was still trying to learn the names of all the new Pokémon.

The nicknames I use are either just words combined that somehow relate to the Pokémon or a random name. For example, Gatrade for Feraligatr.

Huggie

Mewtwo lover :3
    Years
  • hmmm....I don't like nicknaming my pokemon coz when I was little I kinda forgot which pokemon was which so I always ended up battling an arcanine with my oddish :P
    anyways the only pokemon I have ever nicknamed are three Lapras ( Nenya,Narya,Vilya) after the LOTR rings of the elves ( for some odd reason I thought they fit them),
    a Pikachu -->Sparky ( that's a classic) and a Venomoth --->Alexander ( I really don't know why)

Doogle3097

Hola.
    Years
  • I nicknamed my Tepig "Joey" due to an obsession with Friends when Black came out last year, haha. But I tend to not nickname my Pokemon, I'm terrible at giving good names.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    H1N1 on my Emboar because on that time when I got it as a Tepig, the news on TV was talking about H1N1, so I just named it H1N1.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • My nicknames are boring. I just give them random boy/girl names. Vince the Electrode, anyone? Or how about Richter the Empoleon?

Persian, who's on my team in any game where it's available, is always female and is always named Lisa or Ashley.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    hmmm....I don't like nicknaming my pokemon coz when I was little I kinda forgot which pokemon was which so I always ended up battling an arcanine with my oddish :P
    anyways the only pokemon I have ever nicknamed are three Lapras ( Nenya,Narya,Vilya) after the LOTR rings of the elves ( for some odd reason I thought they fit them),
    a Pikachu -->Sparky ( that's a classic) and a Venomoth --->Alexander ( I really don't know why)

That's not really your fault, the older games only had one sprite for a Pokemon in the party list so you couldn't tell them apart unless you went into their individual info :P

I usually don't nickname but in Pearl when I started it up again I had a Kricketune named Fu. I didn't remember naming it but I thought it was so adorable and felt so much close to that Pokemon that I decided to do that when I got White, so in White I have Breakfast the Emboar, Typhon the Zebstrika, Aeolus the Braviary, and then three names I can't remember for my Seismitoad/Ferrothorn/Reuniclus, lol.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    One of the first nicknames I ever gave to one of my Pokemon was my Charizard in Fire Red which I gave the name Efreet back in 2008. There was also my Infernape in Platinum which I named Hades and my Gyarados in Soul Silver which I called Levia. Nowadays I tend to have a nickname for almost all of my Pokemon primarily on White lol.

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2012
    I tend to name my Pokemon after people (real and fictional) that I think are cool.

Right now, I'm playing Ruby Destiny: Reign of Legends, and this is my team.

Richard the Sceptile
    Named after my intellectual hero, Richard Dawkins.

Joan the Manectric
    Named after Joan Jett. I figured electric type Pokemon, electric guitars...Joan sounds like a good name.

Chumlee the Snorlax
    Named after Chumlee of Pawn Stars fame.

Miranda the Bagon
    Named after Miranda Priestly, from my favorite movie of all time, The Devil Wears Prada.

Aleister the Absol
    Named after occultist Aleister Crowley

Francis the Piloswine
    Piloswine and Swinub look a bit like pigs, Francis is the female equivalent of Frank, and Frank Oz was the original voice of Miss Piggy

Other names I tend to give my Pokemon; Tony/Ozzy/Geezer/Bill after the original Black Sabbath members, Charles after Charles Darwin/Charles Xavier (the latter usually if he's Psychic), Emily after Emily Blunt and the character she played in The Devil Wears Prada, Emily Charlton. Those are basically the ones that I tend to use a lot.

I also sometimes name them after songs. I had an Aggron in Ruby that I had named Iron Man and a Blaziken that I named Dsco Nferno (Disco Inferno).

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I've always been really bad with Pokemon nicknames, haha. Most of them are just lame modifications of the Pokemon's original name, nothing witty to boast about. My latest innovation was naming my Chikorita on SS, "Chikninja". Hmmm.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I do it in the later generations. I've always had a Gyarados named Bolo, though. In every gen. EVERY. But, right now I have: Pashmina the Jellicent, Donovan the Stoutland, and the others I can't remember, at all.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back