• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Philosophy: Why does Pokemon "stick around"?

PokemonRoundup

Pokemon Card Collector/Youtuber
Years
    • Age 26
    • USA
    • Seen Jan 1, 2016
    Hello everyone! I thought I'd start a recurring idea on this forum page every so often - Pokemon Philosophy. Pokemon has affected the world on a global level in many ways, and seeing everyone give their views and opinions on certain matters really interests me. So without waiting any further, here are the questions:

With Pokemon being out since the mid 90's and having created many video games, a plethora of TCG expansion packs, and a TV show still making new episodes, there must be something special about the franchise. That being said...

1.) Why do you stick around with Pokemon? What keeps you in the franchise in comparison to other franchises?
    2.) Why is Pokemon still globally popular? While many "big things" fade away after x amount of years, why do you believe Pokemon can stay as popular as it is?

I'm really looking forward to reading your thoughts. Thanks for reading guys!

Years
  • Is it not the only one of it's kind aside of Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest Monsters? There never really were that many games like this, I think. There was Azure Dreams, a real treasure actually (at least in my opinion) and Monster Rancher, which was also quite nice. But that's about it, I think.

So it has it's niche with little competition.

Also it's relatively young and fresh, compared to Super Mario or The Legend of Zelda.

I don't know why I like it, I just like it ^^
    There are some really unique and cool looking Pokemon. Also, I like RPGs and Pokemon is a little different from other RPGs, precisely because you catch, breed and train animals and don't do the work (i. e. the fighting) all by yourself.

Though I have to say, I only like the games (and not all of them) and not the Anime or Manga. I never read latter, so I can't actually say, but I hate(d) the Anime, because Ash is just like so many other Anime protagonists who just get everything shoved in their you know what, simply because they are the main protagonists (just like Luffy or Goku, for example). I hate that. Maybe it's different today, but whatever...

I also enjoyed the TCG, which was my first TCG ever (but not the only and not the last). I quit for a very long time and just picked it up again a few years ago. But I like cards altogether, that's why I play PTCG, MtG and practice cardmagic :)

PokemonRoundup

Years
    • Age 26
    • USA
    • Seen Jan 1, 2016
    I guess I'd have to include Yu-Gi-Oh as one of the most popular at this time too. Although I don't think they still make new TV episodes, they still make new video games and cards.

Overall, I'd still say Pokemon trumps Yu-Gi-Oh. I'm not really sure why exactly, though. Is it because of the name Nintendo has made for the franchise? Perhaps. I don't know. For me, the world Pokemon has created for itself is so much more in-depth and beautiful than any other game.

Thanks for replying Phigo! :D

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I guess I'd have to include Yu-Gi-Oh as one of the most popular at this time too. Although I don't think they still make new TV episodes, they still make new video games and cards.

Overall, I'd still say Pokemon trumps Yu-Gi-Oh. I'm not really sure why exactly, though. Is it because of the name Nintendo has made for the franchise? Perhaps. I don't know. For me, the world Pokemon has created for itself is so much more in-depth and beautiful than any other game.

Thanks for replying Phigo! :D
    Yu-Gi-Oh is in it's fifth series with Arc-V right now, so the anime is still alive.

Pokémon has had it's up and downs...but one reason I think it's popular is due to it's impact on us when were kids. It feels like it's impact was stronger than other stuff targetted as us.

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
    Years
  • Well Pokemon is not just popular with kids in also has a huge adult fan following as well. I think it is still around because it is a huge success.

PokemonRoundup

Years
    • Age 26
    • USA
    • Seen Jan 1, 2016
    Yu-Gi-Oh is in it's fifth series with Arc-V right now, so the anime is still alive.

Pokémon has had it's up and downs...but one reason I think it's popular is due to it's impact on us when were kids. It feels like it's impact was stronger than other stuff targetted as us.

Wow, didn't know it was still being made! Thanks for the info.

I think that's why it's as big as it still is today, as well. It'd be interesting to see different age demographics and Pokemon's popularity over the years. I wonder how much of the fandom is made up of people 18+...Would be an interesting study.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Wow, didn't know it was still being made! Thanks for the info.

I think that's why it's as big as it still is today, as well. It'd be interesting to see different age demographics and Pokemon's popularity over the years. I wonder how much of the fandom is made up of people 18+...Would be an interesting study.

Most claim that the majority is now 18 plus but I would like some scientific (surveys and such) based studies to confirm that. At one point the majority of fans were those who started off with the first two generations so if lets say that most started playing at 8 then most would now be getting close to 26/8 (depending on the area they live as RG and RB had different release dates). Those who started with GS at 8 would be 23/24. Those who started off who started off with RS would now be 20/21 (I started with Fr and Emerald at age 10 so I still fit this despite that). Those who bought DP at 8 would now be around 16/17 around now. Now if the average starting age is more than 8 for Gen IV players still buying the games then they will be pushed over 18 (if it's 10). Not to mention that some might the generations might've attracted older people who were never fans or brought back those who left at the start of Generation III. My hypothesis is that most of the fans are older than 18 now. The more grown up main characters in Gen V and XY seem to back that up, as Hilbert and Hilda were seen as an attempt to appeal to older fans as they were older than past protagonists (with Rosa, Nate, Calem and Serena being a continuation of that).

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • 1. I stick with Pokemon because it never ceases to amaze me. From the games and their mechanics, features and new Pokemon to the anime where i personally have formed a bond to Ash, Brock, Misty etc... and all his Pokemon to the hacks and the creators own takes on the games. I just can't get enough of it. I especially love the community that Pokemon has formed all over the world. Who can just get up and leave Pokemon when you have millions upon millions of people always reminding how great Pokemon is! The last reason is the whole world that continually gets added on to and the amazing new places to explore and immerse yourself in (especially Johto-Sinnoh <3), It continues the dream of wishing Pokemon were real haha

2. As for why it has lasted, I would say mainly because of the community for the reason i stated above. With such an amazing community, that is still growing with each new child buying a game, Nintendo has every reason to keep the franchise going. Secondly, it is one of the rare franchises that allows for any child or adult to just join right in and not feel like their behind due to all the new regions and Pokemon. A child could start in Unova and BW and love it just as much as someone who started in Kanto and RBY.

Pokemon is bae!! lol

Years
  • 1.) Why do you stick around with Pokemon? What keeps you in the franchise in comparison to other franchises?

I stick around with Pokemon because it has a lot of mechanics and logic involved in it. At first, maybe when I was young, I played it for the sake of using these cute little monsters and try to be the pokemon champion.

But as you grow older, you see a lot of in-depth mechanics that you haven't noticed when you were a child. For example, the IV's, EV's, nature etc. You tend to challenge yourself to use your favorite pokemon the way you want it and if possible, to its maximum efficiency. It keeps the desire burning to keep on breeding and training until finding the perfect pokemon.

Aside from that, there are always a new batch of pokemon, new type combinations, abilities, different evolutions that you want to experience for yourself and hopefully maybe add to your arsenal of favorite pokemon.

Maybe I'm a bit biased but I don't see any franchise as same as the Pokemon. I know of Digimon when I was young, but I never really got hooked... honestly I don't know why..

2.) Why is Pokemon still globally popular? While many "big things" fade away after x amount of years, why do you believe Pokemon can stay as popular as it is?

I think because Pokemon has never really left its original formula. The first time it came out up until today it still uses the mechanics of which fans all around the world have loved and enjoyed. They just keep on modifying themselves and maybe adding a little something but the formula stays the same. I think that's what made it so popular after a number of years.

I hope I contributed to your thoughts about pokemon. And hey, these are great questions, you should ask more of these! :)

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • 1. Introduce mechanic that kids or older people with retained inner childhood can relate to: i.e. catching critters and/or maintaining a collection.

Kids go outside, find something curious, oftentimes a bug or a frog, etc. That can occupy their attention to no end. Convert that to Pokemon standards. Kids or even older people collect toys, stamps, bottle caps, figurines, antique cars, you name it. It becomes an obsession. You want to build your collection as much as you can. Convert that to Pokemon standards.

All check. You grabbed their attention and tapped into their favorite hobbies.

2. Make everything aesthetically pleasing. What do kids or individuals with vivid imaginations like to look at? Cute furry animals, cool looking dinosaurs or reptiles, flashy flying creatures (birds, bugs, mythical monsters, etc.). Cover as many bases as possible to appeal to a wider audience.

Check. You make them feel comfortable giving you their attention.

3. Maintain Step 1. Rinse and repeat Step 2. While 1 and 2 are still stable, incorporate some form of storytelling to build the world. Give them a reason to share their collections and compete with others like them. Competition breeds the desire to improve. This makes people go back to play and build on what they already know. Competition also breeds the bandwagoning effect. If you're successful, others want what you have. This causes people to also compete for information and resources, thereby giving the franchise the spreading wildfire they need.

4. Bonus: repeatedly market to veterans or "power users" who are experienced with your content since the beginning. These are individuals who act as your brand ambassadors without them even knowing it. They're the ones who tell their friends, their family members, their kids (if they have) about an old passion. They're the ones who are uniquely influenced by the brand, due to a combination of nostalgia (inner childhood; see Step 1), the desire to be intrigued and the desire to build (again, see Step 1).

-----

How often do you see people (fans, professionals, random onlookers) criticize the repetitiveness of Pokemon? We all know they follow the same formula. You give people a vehicle to collect something and actively build upon that collection. You give people the opportunity to use said collection to compete with other people's collections.

How often do you see people criticize Pokemon designs? Villainous team outfits, despite their constant rehashes? That's because it is critical for the franchise to have assets that are aesthetically pleasing to as wide an audience as possible. As soon as a larger number of people lean toward the "WTF is that?" mentality over the "That's pretty cool/cute/interesting looking," you're going to start a downward spiral, lose trust, lose fans, lose momentum.

And speaking of momentum, you don't stop, and Pokemon as a franchise does a fantastic job with that. Even in the earlier days, they relied heavily on advertising and relentless pushes of new merchandise. It was the game and the cards, soon followed by the anime. Using Pokemon Yellow to capitalize on the anime while it was still the hot thing was a genius move. Pumping out a steady dose of movies further boosted the brand image.

Even as one aspect slows down in terms of hype or interest, there are so many other weapons in the arsenal by that time that the franchise can afford to reallocate resources to capitalize on what's currently trending the most at the time.

Did you notice how Pokemon has taken a bigger step toward incorporating really heavy-fantasy storytelling in the core games? Many people raved about the story aspect of Black and White and see what happened in XY? They continued the trend. In ORAS they pushed out the Delta Episode considering the remake of the Gen III storyline could not give them the room to be flexible. It'll be no surprise that "Z" would likely be story-driven as well. Note I never mentioned story quality because that's subjective.

So that's what's working for them now. But because they're culturally significant at this point, they have the luxury of reusing the same formula until it no longer works. And because after nearly 20 years people still pile onto the same merchandise year in and year out, Pokemon can continue thriving. Other companies either abandon the working formula in favor of experimentation, only to outright fail or disconnect themselves from existing fans.

Why do I stick around? I'm in Step 4 as I listed above. I've been with the franchise literally since the beginning. I've lived through that original "Pokemon phenomena" that took the world by storm. It's a combination of nostalgia, curiosity in global cultures, and a genuine interest in the gaming industry as a whole.

Last edited:

PokemonRoundup

Years
    • Age 26
    • USA
    • Seen Jan 1, 2016
    1. I stick with Pokemon because it never ceases to amaze me. From the games and their mechanics, features and new Pokemon to the anime where i personally have formed a bond to Ash, Brock, Misty etc... and all his Pokemon to the hacks and the creators own takes on the games. I just can't get enough of it. I especially love the community that Pokemon has formed all over the world. Who can just get up and leave Pokemon when you have millions upon millions of people always reminding how great Pokemon is! The last reason is the whole world that continually gets added on to and the amazing new places to explore and immerse yourself in (especially Johto-Sinnoh <3), It continues the dream of wishing Pokemon were real haha

2. As for why it has lasted, I would say mainly because of the community for the reason i stated above. With such an amazing community, that is still growing with each new child buying a game, Nintendo has every reason to keep the franchise going. Secondly, it is one of the rare franchises that allows for any child or adult to just join right in and not feel like their behind due to all the new regions and Pokemon. A child could start in Unova and BW and love it just as much as someone who started in Kanto and RBY.

Pokemon is bae!! lol

Great answers. Having something that interested me as a child that interests me still today at 17 really amazes me. The age groups that the franchises encompasses is truly astounding :)

1.) Why do you stick around with Pokemon? What keeps you in the franchise in comparison to other franchises?

I stick around with Pokemon because it has a lot of mechanics and logic involved in it. At first, maybe when I was young, I played it for the sake of using these cute little monsters and try to be the pokemon champion.

But as you grow older, you see a lot of in-depth mechanics that you haven't noticed when you were a child. For example, the IV's, EV's, nature etc. You tend to challenge yourself to use your favorite pokemon the way you want it and if possible, to its maximum efficiency. It keeps the desire burning to keep on breeding and training until finding the perfect pokemon.

Aside from that, there are always a new batch of pokemon, new type combinations, abilities, different evolutions that you want to experience for yourself and hopefully maybe add to your arsenal of favorite pokemon.

Maybe I'm a bit biased but I don't see any franchise as same as the Pokemon. I know of Digimon when I was young, but I never really got hooked... honestly I don't know why..

I think because Pokemon has never really left its original formula. The first time it came out up until today it still uses the mechanics of which fans all around the world have loved and enjoyed. They just keep on modifying themselves and maybe adding a little something but the formula stays the same. I think that's what made it so popular after a number of years.

I hope I contributed to your thoughts about pokemon. And hey, these are great questions, you should ask more of these! :)

Totally agree. While they've added so many different things to spice the series up there's still always one goal - Gotta catch 'em all: Whether that's collecting cards, capturing Pokemon in-game, or "journeying along" with the characters in the show. We always come back to that same nostalgic formula :)

Thanks for answering! I'll definitely be doing more of these questions :3

1. Introduce mechanic that kids or older people with retained inner childhood can relate to: i.e. catching critters and/or maintaining a collection.

Kids go outside, find something curious, oftentimes a bug or a frog, etc. That can occupy their attention to no end. Convert that to Pokemon standards. Kids or even older people collect toys, stamps, bottle caps, figurines, antique cars, you name it. It becomes an obsession. You want to build your collection as much as you can. Convert that to Pokemon standards.

All check. You grabbed their attention and tapped into their favorite hobbies.

2. Make everything aesthetically pleasing. What do kids or individuals with vivid imaginations like to look at? Cute furry animals, cool looking dinosaurs or reptiles, flashy flying creatures (birds, bugs, mythical monsters, etc.). Cover as many bases as possible to appeal to a wider audience.

Check. You make them feel comfortable giving you their attention.

3. Maintain Step 1. Rinse and repeat Step 2. While 1 and 2 are still stable, incorporate some form of storytelling to build the world. Give them a reason to share their collections and compete with others like them. Competition breeds the desire to improve. This makes people go back to play and build on what they already know. Competition also breeds the bandwagoning effect. If you're successful, others want what you have. This causes people to also compete for information and resources, thereby giving the franchise the spreading wildfire they need.

4. Bonus: repeatedly market to veterans or "power users" who are experienced with your content since the beginning. These are individuals who act as your brand ambassadors without them even knowing it. They're the ones who tell their friends, their family members, their kids (if they have) about an old passion. They're the ones who are uniquely influenced by the brand, due to a combination of nostalgia (inner childhood; see Step 1), the desire to be intrigued and the desire to build (again, see Step 1).

-----

How often do you see people (fans, professionals, random onlookers) criticize the repetitiveness of Pokemon? We all know they follow the same formula. You give people a vehicle to collect something and actively build upon that collection. You give people the opportunity to use said collection to compete with other people's collections.

How often do you see people criticize Pokemon designs? Villainous team outfits, despite their constant rehashes? That's because it is critical for the franchise to have assets that are aesthetically pleasing to as wide an audience as possible. As soon as a larger number of people lean toward the "WTF is that?" mentality over the "That's pretty cool/cute/interesting looking," you're going to start a downward spiral, lose trust, lose fans, lose momentum.

And speaking of momentum, you don't stop, and Pokemon as a franchise does a fantastic job with that. Even in the earlier days, they relied heavily on advertising and relentless pushes of new merchandise. It was the game and the cards, soon followed by the anime. Using Pokemon Yellow to capitalize on the anime while it was still the hot thing was a genius move. Pumping out a steady dose of movies further boosted the brand image.

Even as one aspect slows down in terms of hype or interest, there are so many other weapons in the arsenal by that time that the franchise can afford to reallocate resources to capitalize on what's currently trending the most at the time.

Did you notice how Pokemon has taken a bigger step toward incorporating really heavy-fantasy storytelling in the core games? Many people raved about the story aspect of Black and White and see what happened in XY? They continued the trend. In ORAS they pushed out the Delta Episode considering the remake of the Gen III storyline could not give them the room to be flexible. It'll be no surprise that "Z" would likely be story-driven as well. Note I never mentioned story quality because that's subjective.

So that's what's working for them now. But because they're culturally significant at this point, they have the luxury of reusing the same formula until it no longer works. And because after nearly 20 years people still pile onto the same merchandise year in and year out, Pokemon can continue thriving. Other companies either abandon the working formula in favor of experimentation, only to outright fail or disconnect themselves from existing fans.

Why do I stick around? I'm in Step 4 as I listed above. I've been with the franchise literally since the beginning. I've lived through that original "Pokemon phenomena" that took the world by storm. It's a combination of nostalgia, curiosity in global cultures, and a genuine interest in the gaming industry as a whole.

Thank you so much for putting that much depth into your answer! Pokemon has completely nailed any demographic that's interested in collecting, and that's no easy feat. And that's a really good point, it's creatures are the perfect balance of many "wow, that's so cute!" to "hm, interesting evolution" and finally to "woah, epic evolution!" There is nothing too strange in the world of Pokemon, nothing at all that makes you burrow your eyebrows and say "...what?"

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:
    Back