• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Protectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomic Reactor

the time it takes you to do all this must be a lot.
    the shading for the times of day looks really good.
    the custom graphics are really cool.
    good to hear you got all the IV's and EV's down.
    keep up the great work!
    good luck!

Archayos

THEY KILLED THE PURPLE T_T
    Years
    No prob.
    Glad I could clear some stuff up for you.
    You don't like the tall grass? You mean this tile ye?
    Pokemon Protectors

I might make it a shade darker to help it stand out more.
    Also the maps haven't been detailed in terms of the people who live in the towns yet- so thats why all the maps look bare, noone lives in them.
    I think that when I get around to doing it, they will look alot more intresting.
    Well hopefully ha.

The menus and message boxes' still are transparent. It's up to the player to set them. You set them transparent in the in-game menu. So don't worry :)

The story will get twists, the crash is something that was just an excuse to introduce the player to the story, and then it will go deeper. But like every feature in this game- unless I've actually coded it, I'm not going to post about it in detail if you get me.... But I will when it's done.

The picture of that grass tile doesn't seem to load for me. Anyway, what I suggest using is this:
    Pokemon Protectors

Yeah, I'm sure that they'll look better with NPCs. Any map looks better with those. But that doesn't work out on routes. You can't fill up your routes with NPCs, that's not the way it is in the real games either. And too many trainers will annoy the life out of your players. The best alternative would be to start innovating with your water autotile. Just randomly start putting water in places on your maps, and you'll see that it'll become comparatively better.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    Cheers for pointing it out man. I'll mess around with it.
    Just to let everyone know- I edited the first post, so check it out, its alot neater and explains more.
    Also, I plan on having some storyline screenshots up soon. So keep checking back.
    Anyways, have a read of the first post, and let me know what you think.

Atomic Reactor

it seems like you took some stuff out of the first post.
    didn't it tell you the consequence of stealing?
    it doesn't now.
    i don't remember seeing that region map. it looks good.
    can't wait for my screenies ^_^
    good luck

Archayos

THEY KILLED THE PURPLE T_T
    Years
    Cheers for pointing it out man. I'll mess around with it.
    Just to let everyone know- I edited the first post, so check it out, its alot neater and explains more.
    Also, I plan on having some storyline screenshots up soon. So keep checking back.
    Anyways, have a read of the first post, and let me know what you think.

Yep. Your new storyline is better now. But yet, I still think that invoking a plot twist in the place where the crash occurs would be a good idea. Even though it's just an excuse to introduce the player to the story.
    Anyway, I'm glad to see that you updated. The topic had nearly made its way to the second page, which is pretty bad for a project like this. : D

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2009
    This game looks like it could be really awesome. I'm looking forward to a demo.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Keeps me motivated. Cheers. keep it coming.

Well....
    Just finished working on the PokeCyber.
    So, to start off the update, I'll just post about the first option and it's function.

The PokeCyber is a key item that will be given to the player at the start of the game. Well after speaking to Oak. It's a device kinda like the PokeGear from G/S/C games. The PokeCyber is connected to a network.
    Because it's this "Wi-fi" style device, I can add some pretty nifty features.
    As just mentioned above, I will do one feature each update, so here is the first.
    *On the infamous Test map from Protectors, with a test team of starters, I have the PokeCyber in my bag lol.*
    After selecting it from my bag, I'm taken to it's (the PokeCyber's) main menu.
    Pokemon Protectors

There are 4 options.
    Pokemon Storage.
    Phone.
    Minerals.
    Cheats.

You may have questions for some options, but I am only going to talk about the Pokemon Storage system for now.

Pokemon Protectors

The Pokemon storage system is the "Bill's PC" of Protectors.
    You have 3 options in Pokemon storage. Deposit. Withdraw and Release. well 4 with exit, but blah.
    Depositing Pokemon will allow you to deposit up to 5 Pokemon off your team. You must keep at least one at all times. You can only store up to 12 Pokemon to begin with
    It's very straight forward.
    Pokemon Protectors
    Pokemon Protectors

Withdrawing Pokemon is also very straight forward. You select which Pokemon you want to withdraw using the grid menu (meaning you can use all 4 arrow keys to navigate the menu). Press enter and Pokemon is on your team if you have space.
    Pokemon Protectors
    Pokemon Protectors

Release Pokemon (no screens), brings up the same style selection menu, this time, you can chose a Pokemon off your Team to "release" into the wild. Because at the start, the PokeCyber only allows 12 Pokemon in storage and you can carry 6 on Team, you may need to release some Pokemon to make room for more.
    So this option is included.

Also you may notice on the top left of the main PokeCyber menu, there is a signal bar.
    Depending on where you are in the region will give you a different signal.
    For example, in a big city, you will have full signal.
    In a small town or route, you might have 2 bars (medium) or 1 bar (weak signal).
    In caves, you will have no signal.

For test propose (well just to take the screenshot), I showed what happens if you have a weak signal and select storage.
    Pokemon Protectors

You cannot use certain features depending on your signal strength. This adds a bit of strategy when going on far off routes, mountains, and caves.

Also note, the PokeCyber itself was created by Prof. Ashbourne (of an unnamed region to the south), and it's online storage system was developed by Prof. Maple (of an unnamed region to the north).

So tell me what you think people.
    Remember, try not discuss the PokeCyber's other options until they are revealed :P

Last edited:

Captain Arcane

spoon full o'peanut butter
    Years
    Looks great man, I love your interfaces, their outstanding, they really are. And who doesn't love cheats? ^w^

Once again, amazed.
    Captain Arcane

PS: Did I mention that your interfaces are amazing? ^w^

Atomic Reactor

that looks great. very convenient too!
    you can switch your team wenever now! (kinda)
    questions..

1) you said "for now" for 12. does that mean it will eventually increase?

2) will this also be at the pokecenter PCs?

good job anyway =)

Years
    New thread look looks good, but better put more screens fore all theese features and also some for "People and their own live", and some from story, so it will look better and everything will be in a one place.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    @Captain Arcane: I think you mentioned it :P
    Thanks alot man!

@Atomic_Reactor: I hinted at it yeah. I don't want to go into it yet, because it's only planned on my Dev Sheet and not coded and I only like talking about stuff I've done. But as I said, it's in the planning stages to have update cards- that will update the PokeCyber to store more Pokemon in storage....

@Mackoo: The homegetter feature as I call it, is what I want it to be known as a "nice touch" - not a "feature". It's attention to detail really. Nothing more.

Anyways!
    Update part 2 of the PokeCyber feature.
    *Please note: this is again, on my infamous test map- with test settings*

This time, I'm skipping the Mineral feature and going straight to the PokeCyber's 3rd function, the phone system.

I've got a mini screenshot walk-through again to explain this.

Pokemon Protectors

So on the PokeCyber menu, select the phone option to bring up the phone itself.

Pokemon Protectors

This is the phone's main menu. You have 2 options. "Phone book" or "Dial."
    The phone book is under the options- and the keypad itself is beside the phone book.

Pokemon Protectors

Selecting phone book option will bring the menu to the phone book section or box. Your phone book will store the numbers you get throughout the storyline of the game.
    In this test, I have granpa's number and Prof. Oak's number.

Pokemon Protectors

So the next option under phone book is Dial.
    This will take you to the keypad.

https://img219.imageshack.us/img219/8407/phonesystemshowcase5ev1.png[img]
    The keypad is straight forward. It's a gird style menu, so you can use all 4 arrow keys to navigator the cursor.

[img]https://img139.imageshack.us/img139/7902/phonesystemshowcase6gk4.png
    Just press enter to select the number you want, and press ESC to cancel your last number of go back to the phone's menu.

Pokemon Protectors

So after selecting 7 numbers, you can call the number. All numbers in the game have 7 digits.
    EVERY NUMBER IN THE GAME HAS A MEANING.
    For example, your Granpa's number is 4726721- which is deciphered as "granpa1".
    The number in the screenshot 4438791 - which is "HIEVRY1" - a little joke to you reading this....

So it's this little neat touch with the phone that makes it interesting. Trough the region, you'll find different numbers, by talking to random people- and you will be able to ring them for a little easter egg. Also, each numbers' meaning is generally light-hearted and fun.

The phone is also how cheats will be put in (cheats are again- funny words but I aint sayng what :P). But that's another update :P

So again, keep the comments and feedback coming- after all, I coded all this with RM2k3's events ha!

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    Look's good, i haven't been in the Game Dev forums for a while, im glad to see your still working on this game, i hope you keep on the good work.

O.G. Duke

a.k.a OmegaGroudon
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2016
    Great system! They looked almost PERFECT! I like the Phone system, I think you already put tons of hard work in it! Anyway, Keep it up!

Atomic Reactor

just a couple things
    you spelt grandpa wrong lol
    its g-r-a-n-d-p-a
    ^_^
    and just a suggestion, i would make it easier to see the numbers you've punched in. i can't really tell what they are.
    other than that it looks great =)

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    *Drools*

That is so awesome.... soooo awesome!!

*Drools some more*

I cannot wait to see some more on that menu, it looks so great, and the cheat option is quite an interesting concept, good job!

*Drowns in own drool*

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
    Years
    Cheers guys. Really glad you like it. Makes the hard work worth it.
    @Atomic_Reactor: Haha. That spelling is something I've taught about since adding granpa into the game. I remember when I started the game, I goggled it, lol, yeah sounds crazy. But I noticed, the spelling "Granpa" - leaving out the letter d was something a kid would say. Making it almost a nick name. Like how, a young kid only knows its mother or father by the name used in the house (like mum or mam).
    That's why I chose to leave it(the d) out. It's a srot of nickname the player has used for that character (the grandpa).

If you look at earlier screenshots for the storyline - I had the d in the word, but after deciding to revamp the storyline, I took it out. It makes him seem a bit more personal and adds a bit of character to "Granpa".

Keep the feedback coming, as I said, I did all this with Rm2k3 :P

Atomic Reactor

and it seems you want attention towards the Rm2k3 fact.. ;)
    well, it's amazing at how much work you've done on this to make so many cool features.
    I have no idea how to do any of this. lol.
    keep on workin, it looks mazing =P

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back