• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Protectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vampire://Krimm

→ clocks everywhere →
Years
Awesome, this is what I've been looking forward to for awhile now :D

It's amazing, Neo, I especially love the twist with states and the Trainer District~ It's sort of like Pokemon in our own world XD Looks great, Neo <3

Oh oh~ By the way, the maps look really well done especially only using Rm2k3 x.< But I wanted to ask if your game lagged for how much you have in it? o-o When I used Rm2k3, the game lagged like tomorrow was the end of the world D:

Anywho, can't wait to see more :D

Mitchman

Banned
Years
Impressive and nice. Anyway i have the obvious questions:
The districts are how big? I meran no way you can fit 8 gyms into 5-6 regular sized areas. Or do we start off in this part and have only 2 badges and then later on we get more 2 for each area?
So if we have each district large and spacious would that mean every state gets 8 badges?

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Sorry guys. I was in college when I posted that. It was a copy and paste job from my forum.
I've since edited the first post with this info, since that's the main geist of things in the revamp.
I'm delighted you like the revamp. I was really worried my ideas might come across as a bit radical or ambitious, but I'm glad you all have faith in my to pull this off. Thanks.

I will be going into a lot more detail on the Districts when I have more done, so far only the trainer district. The size of these Districts are pretty big and will be made up of even smaller sections- but are linked together (I'm not talking about a full route or anything linking them together, just imagine cities in the pokemon games all put beside each other).
The screenshots shown so far are only from the Trainers' District. If you notice- there is nearly two completely different styles (look at the ground tiles for clues). One part is like a mini city and the other is a small place where they live if that makes sense. Think of one part as an industrial estate and the other as a road where people live (again- if that makes sense lol).
Don't worry about size, they are big places. The entire State will be about the same size (or slightly smaller) then an official region. Then of course, my region, Altar, is made up of many States. So that gives you a clue of the sheer scope (although only one state will be there from the start).

I should have something on the trainer's battle system soon.
Keep the comments coming guys. :)

Edit: Sorry Krimm, forgot to answer your question. The reason why I took so long revealing this is actually because of lag. I had to fine tune the mouse patch so much (since the cursor is a picture always refreshing). I've got that working fine with no lag so far, and will only continue if I play it smart with how I code things. I had to change my style a bit from Protectors' old build. Not that I was sloppy before, I just have to pre-plan EVERYTHING now. Rm2k3 can only do around 3000 lines of code a second (depending on your PC too)- so I have to make sure I do everything the way it should. Simple things like adding in "wait 0.0" commands help a lot. So you can guess the frustration I'm having with the battle system's code (since that has mouse support) lol

Mitchman

Banned
Years
So alstar is composed of 4 states right? And each state has about 8 badges as im guessing. So then where would all the elite 4s be held?

EJames2100

Pokémon Hall Of Fame Supporter
Years
Sorry for the double post, mod can merge them if anyone's that bothered lol

Thanks for reading and attempting to reply, that's good enough for me :)

Hmm an update, I've skimmed over it and it does seem good, I will like been able to use a mouse too, that should be fun :)

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
So alstar is composed of 4 states right? And each state has about 8 badges as im guessing. So then where would all the elite 4s be held?

Not really.
I haven't revealed how many States make up Altar just yet. I think I used the word "many."

As for the whole gym thing. There will be 2 different leagues. There is the State-wide league and the National League. Kinda more like real life. So the State wide is a smaller competition and doesn't have an "elite 4" so to speak. The State-wide, or "local" league will be explored in Protectors, but the National League will be an extra download- an expansion- after the release of the game.

I'll go into more detail when more is actually coded in game, rather then on paper (since that way, I can give you actual details on the game, rather then "plans").

Mitchman

Banned
Years
So then you kinda went against your word here:
(there are four states in total in Altar.)
I took that from your text about altar.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Damn, that's my bad. I worded that sentence wrong.
There is 4 big States planned. There are smaller States (so far 3- which makes 7 States so far)- but since nothing is mapped.
I will now clear things up.
There is only 1 State in the game so far.

scienceboy

3 Gen Pokemon Master
Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2011
nice update. i'm glad that we finally get to see some of the story that is contained here.
the 'pokemon protectors' kinda seem like a dictatorist government, withe veryone having to check in with them.
sop far, i only have two things to say.
1 - you said that you start off when you are sixteen. however, you can't travel anywhere until you're 18. so what happens in the meantime? explore everything in your own state? how long will it be until you turn 18 and can travel to other states?

2 - while the map looks cool, it doesn't seem like there would be alot to explore in it. if you become a pokemon trainer, where would you go? you sai dhtat they all need to live in the trainer center, but that doesn't really allow for must diversity, for training or catchign pokemon because they're all in the same place.

ps. also, you said that you can join the 'evil' teams. if you do so, you'd basically be on run fromt he government. are you implementing what that woul dbe like? your entire 'official' life would be a lie.

Mitchman

Banned
Years
Wow seeing as your an elected official's son i wouldnt be suprised to see you implimenting that someway as away to infiltrate the archives for the evil team. You know acting good when no one would suspect you but really your the head of the whole thing. Really adding depth is waht i like. And what i hope would be what happens.

GAK

Years
  • Seen Jun 7, 2009
HOLY COW!!!

THIS IS SO AWESOME!!!

excellent map, and the trainer sprite is really original too!
very innovative that instead of regions, put also smaller states.

anyway, keep up with the good work neo. cant wait for more!

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Hey everyone. I want to let you know the battle system update for the trainer class is still coming.
I was just reading over the first post and I noticed that a lot of new info is missing. A lot of the new feature stuff. But...
I will go into more detail when it's actually coded- and playable- in the game rather then on my wordpad file lol. I know it's a pain in the backside to read "crap" like this. But in my opinion, this type of info at this stage of the development aint "crap" lol. So bare with me as I get my head sorted. Remember, when I began Protectors, I started in Nov 2006 and didnt post until Jan 30th 07 with the info. So I reckon it will be around the same again this time around. I started the revamp in Nov. 08. I most likely will reveal more (such as the Class and Job systems) in late Jan 09.

I will really really push myself to get the trainer battle system ready to show off before the year is out.
Cross yo fingers! LOL
Okay, I'm starting to ramble, so....

Just a small update.
I've replaced most of the tiles in the game with the palette and tiles from some of Saurav's work.
I've retaken the 2 last screenshots in the first post just to show you.
I'm still updating them, so don't point out any colour errors please, or tile errors in general.
Here those screens are in this post to make it easier for you.
602ac09297.png
5254c185c9.png

EDIT: I'll answer any questions from my last post:
@Scienceboy:
1 - you said that you start off when you are sixteen. however, you can't travel anywhere until you're 18. so what happens in the meantime? explore everything in your own state? how long will it be until you turn 18 and can travel to other states?
The plan is, for the first story so to speak, you'll be 16. But since this game is about freedom and living, you'll have a job and stuff and you DON'T HAVE TO go along with the story. You can just work and do the quests the job gives. So to really answer your question, the first release will ONLY have the Caladan State. Don't worry- it's really big. But I will add updates, that you can download to expand the region.

2 - while the map looks cool, it doesn't seem like there would be alot to explore in it. if you become a pokemon trainer, where would you go? you sai dhtat they all need to live in the trainer center, but that doesn't really allow for must diversity, for training or catchign pokemon because they're all in the same place.
The map looks bare in terms of "towns" within the State of Caladan. But really this project has the biggest maps I've ever put into any of my games. The final turn out should hopefully be: 1 State= 1 Region (in the official games) in terms of tile size.
As for the Trainer Class, I haven't really gone into too much detail yet. I will soon as this is the main class I'm actually coding stuff for. That is not saying the other Classes will be crap, it's just everyone knows what a trainer does, so I want to show that off first. The Trainer District is just a small place where Trainers in the State "prefare" to live. Not all the Trainers do live there. Nor those the player have to. But as you could guess with the apartment screenshots, it will be an option.

ps. also, you said that you can join the 'evil' teams. if you do so, you'd basically be on run fromt he government. are you implementing what that woul dbe like? your entire 'official' life would be a lie.
This is something that has had a lot of pre planning work. I've wrote a lot about this type of idea in the "dev" wordpad file. It will be possible to join a Team and "work" for the other Teams in the game. So you can do an "inside job" type thing lol. Or not. It will be up to you how to do.

@ the 2 posters about me.
Starter's have not been decided. I would like to do something different. I just don't know how I'm pulling what I have in mind off in-game just yet.

Last edited:

O.G. Duke

a.k.a OmegaGroudon
Years
  • Seen May 18, 2016
I loved your screenshot! It always looks so nice for me!
Keep it up Neo~

scienceboy

3 Gen Pokemon Master
Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2011
neo:
allright, thanks for clearing those up. i'm glad that you're thinking through everything here, so that there are no holes

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Update time.
Pokemon Protectors will be featuring a Class system. The class will define your play style of the game. Each class will have it's own storyline that you can choose to get into or not.
You choose the Class you wish to be about 15-30 minutes into gameplay.
There will be 3 Classes, Trainer Class, Ranger Class, and Civil Service Class.
Each class also has 3 jobs that can be taken up.
Thanks to AtomicReactor, each class will have it's own srpite.
Today, I would like to introduce you to:

The Trainer Class
TDistrict_trainer1.png
The Trainer Class will play similar to the official Pokemon RPG games. The features to the Trainer Class are very standard (of course, with my own twists). You will have the menu as well as the PokeCyber already shown.
You will have a battle system (similar again to the official games, but with a Protectors Twist).
There is 3 jobs within this Class.
The Adventurer: You go around the land and battle other trainers. You earn no weekly wage, but your money comes from defeating other trainers.
The Gym Leader: The Gym leader must defend his gym against all challengers. You will earn a weekly wage.
The Champion: Your goal as a champion is to battle the local gym leaders of the Caladan State, then battle in the Pokemon League. You will earn a small wage from the Pokemon Protectors to help fund your goal.

Aside from standard features that will be in the game (such as the in-debt Reputation and Moral System with Conscious Choice)-
Let's have a look at the Trainer Class specific features.

Star Ranking System and Stat Altering:
Pokemon in Protectors no longer have "levels" as such. They have a Star Ranking System. This system is universal for Trainers (such as Trainers will have a Star Ranking, as well as Boosters- keep reading for info on Boosters). For Pokemon, the Star Ranking system works by calculating the Pokemon's Stats (which as HP, ATTACK, DEFENSE, and SPEED), and depending on the final number will be the Pokemon's ranking.
The Ranking is capped at 4 stars (meaning it goes from 1-4). This cap, can be lifted after release with updates. To give you an example, a 4 Star Ranking Pokemon would have similar stats to a Pokemon of Level 60.
But in order to increase Stat Points, you need "Skill Points." These skill points are like experience awarded after battle. You can use these skill points to learn new attacks, to gamble with in battle (keep reading), and to increase the Stats. For every 10 Skill Points- you can add 1 Stat point to the stat you choose. Have a look.
Stat_altering1.png

The stats in the pic are just for example. But it is to show you the idea of increasing you stats as well as your Star Ranking. Mouse control is in effect (although I forgot to display the icon for it)​

So once you've done this, your ready to battle.

The Battle System​

BattleShot_noboosters.png
The battle system has a lot of code behind it to make it really deep. And can be explored how deep by the player.
Here is some of it's features.
As you can see, the Star Ranking is displayed on the HP background image. This will give you an indication how strong the enemy is.
As you can see by the screenshot, mouse control is in effect (indicated by the icon in the top right).
When you select "Fight", you can choose to right click on an attack to gamble 10 Skill Points to do double damage. If you do, you will be given a little mini game of clicking on 4 boxes (which are randomly positioned) in the correct order in a short amount of time.

Boosters in battle:
BattleShot_WITHboosters.png

Sorry for the bland plate icons- they will change.​
If you have boosters before entering battle, before the battle kicks off, you can select up to 4. Boosters have a Star Ranking (which is indicated by the number on the booster). There is 3 types of Boosters- Attack, Speed, and Defense. The Ranking indicated how strong they are. But you will have problems trying to use a 4 star booster, on a 1 star Pokemon (could confuse the Pokemon, or even LOWER the stat).
Boosters are what they name gives the clue of. They boost a certain stat while in battle. But withdrawing a Pokemon will also end the effect of the Booster.

And there you have it on the Class for the Trainers.
Tell me what ya think.
Merry Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back