• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Protectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomic Reactor

OMG! It all looks so crisp.. and ugh beautiful!
I love it, simply love it. There is nothing i can say to... wait i know.
Skill points... they go up in incrimants of 10?
Why not just by 1? Idk, i would just rather spend 1 for gambling and raising stats. I just dont see a need for them to go up by 10.

(copy and paste from CPforums)

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
I answered on my forums, but here is a copy and paste job.
The math work behind giving out Skill Points is the same as the Mineral workout of the last build.
If you remember it was 100 minerals for 1 level.
I toned it down.
Credit to Atomic_r for the HP background BTW.
Oh and AR, that's why it's a gamble at 10 points lol. Other wise it wouldn't be a gamble. It is up to you if you want to risk it.

For anyone who didn't see it:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=4221305&postcount=600

Any other comments. I see lots of people looking at the thread and no one replying.

Mitchman

Banned
Years
Holy beep. I love it. Seriously if its not you im loving for uberness its wausby for wowness then back to you for uber epicness. Hoepfully this will get finished and i believe it will as restarting after a year of progress surely would make someone deidcated to rebuild it. Good job mate nad you deserve a virtual applause. *makes a virtual appluase come out of nowhere*

Vampire://Krimm

→ clocks everywhere →
Years
Ooh~ Didn't see the update.

Everything looks awesome, and I have to say the custom graphics look very genuine, like they popped right out from Nintendo :o Overall the whole thing looks pretty interesting :3 I look forward to seeing how the game plays out.

Merry Christmas~ :D

scienceboy

3 Gen Pokemon Master
Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2011
hm ... allright, time for my go at it :P
i like the idea of a gamble, however i feel like the cost should be lowered, to maybe 5 points per gamble. 10 does seem a bit high.
is it possible to gamble on special effect moves? like, growl would do twice the reduction, or something like that? if effects are worked into the gamble, if i use water pulse with gamble, would there be an increased chance for confusion?

i like the idea of the star system, but i think that you should add maybe another star or two to make it more accurate. as it is, i could have two star two pokemon, but one be on the cusp of 3 star and the other having just been 'promoted'. based on what you said with the lvl 60, its about 15 lvls or so with the stats, probably a bit more though. thats a big difference. [note - i reread the post, and you said that it could be lifted. please do, because of the aguments in thsi post]

because you're letting us so blatantly choose our stats, is there still any IV or EV or natures or such like that, so that some pokemon will auto be better than others ins ome aspects? because otherwise, i might as well train a ratata to become a special sweeper.

also, you said that they are awarded like experience. is there still exp points? because if there aren't, then i really could just take a pokemon that i just caught, spend alot of skill points on it, then have a star 4 pokemon wtih no effort ont he part of the pokemon.

finally, about the class system

i like the idea of the system. My question is will you be able to change jobs in the class? like, i start out a trainer, i become a champion, then i decide to become a gym leader, or something like that. additionally, if you become the champion, then do you face all elite-four newcomers? do you get another bonus for becoming one?

thanks for the update, can't wait for the next

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Thanks for the comment scienceboy. I'll add my responses in BOLD in your quote.

hm ... allright, time for my go at it :P
i like the idea of a gamble, however i feel like the cost should be lowered, to maybe 5 points per gamble. 10 does seem a bit high. (This has already been sort of answered.)
is it possible to gamble on special effect moves? like, growl would do twice the reduction, or something like that? if effects are worked into the gamble, if i use water pulse with gamble, would there be an increased chance for confusion? (Yup, Gamble works on any attack- I will add some screenshots when there is more detail in it. At the moment, you just click on the boxes. I would like to add some flare to it.)

i like the idea of the star system, but i think that you should add maybe another star or two to make it more accurate. as it is, i could have two star two pokemon, but one be on the cusp of 3 star and the other having just been 'promoted'. based on what you said with the lvl 60, its about 15 lvls or so with the stats, probably a bit more though. thats a big difference. [note - i reread the post, and you said that it could be lifted. please do, because of the aguments in thsi post] (The game is capped at four for mainly since items are also capped at four. The Trainer rank - which I didn't really talk about) will also be 4 stars, and effect different stuff in the game. Stats can keep going to 999.)

because you're letting us so blatantly choose our stats, is there still any IV or EV or natures or such like that, so that some pokemon will auto be better than others ins ome aspects? because otherwise, i might as well train a ratata to become a special sweeper.
(Stats will be randomised between the star rank rating, but if you want, you can have Ratata's attack at 999, and have his defense at 20 or something. That is the idea of freedom. Not a coding restriction, or anything, but this is a design choice. While stats can be increased, they can't be decreased.)
also, you said that they are awarded like experience. is there still exp points? because if there aren't, then i really could just take a pokemon that i just caught, spend alot of skill points on it, then have a star 4 pokemon wtih no effort ont he part of the pokemon.
(At the end of the battle, Skill Points will be given out kind of like experience. Skill Points are not general, but each Pokemon has it's own Skill Points, so catching a low Star-ed Pokemon will need to earn it's own. I make add something similar to a RareCandy to increase a Pokemon's Skill Points.)

finally, about the class system

i like the idea of the system. My question is will you be able to change jobs in the class? like, i start out a trainer, i become a champion, then i decide to become a gym leader, or something like that. additionally, if you become the champion, then do you face all elite-four newcomers? do you get another bonus for becoming one?
There will be a feature to allow you to change your job throughout play. As for different Job perks, this is still in the pre planning stage, so I can't say.
thanks for the update, can't wait for the next

GAK

Years
  • Seen Jun 7, 2009
woah! awesome! mind-blowing! keep up with the good work! i am getting anxious!!!!

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Thanks GAK.
I also would like to thank Wichu. He helped me understand how the starter kit for RMXP handles the pokemon battle system so I could try apply some of it to RM2k3 to fit with my battle system.
I would like to make it clear, you can catch more then one of the same Pokemon (unlike the old system of the old build of the game which used Rm2k3's database to store the pokemon making onle catching one of each pokemon.
So Thanks Wichu!

Atomic Reactor

can you go into more depth? I would like to know how you figured out how to do it :)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 11, 2023
this game looks convincing, i'll be keeping my eye on this thread, nice sprites by the way :D

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Credit for the awesome hero sprites you see in the game goes to Atomic Reactor. As for the tiles- credit goes to Saurav.

@AtomicR:
I wanted to answer this question when I first saw it posted, but because of Christmas being really busy, I only got a small amount of time to go around on the net lol.
So I'll answer it now.
Okay, with the old build of the Protector's battle system, so save space for variables, I had one set of variables tied to the pokemon (kind of like active pokemon variables) for battle anyways. To save space, I used the default database of RM2k3 to store data on the pokemon, for every user of RPG Maker series to understand- I used the hero database tab. With variables, I could check to see which one was active, then check the hero tab database for the stats. As you might guess, I had one slot for each pokemon.
When I announced that you could only use one of each Pokemon in battle in the old build, I said in a latter post I know how to fix it, but I've gone too deep (someone could quote me on it, I said it here, or on CPForums). I knew I would have to create separate variables for the pokemon data to be stored.
I contacted Wichu over PM to ask how the RMXP starter kit handles it. Because maybe I could adopt how it works in RPG MAKER 2003. Thanks to his help, I had confirmed what I had to do- which was do it then way mentioned above lol.

So that is how it is done in the game now. There is variables for each slot of team space, and storage. So now you can have a whole team of pidgeys lol.

Edit: Also, could someone sprite me a new banner for my sig?
It is out of date. Put some of the new stuff in the background, and use a Pichu or Raichu for the foreground.
Same size as the banner below please.
I would really love it.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Years
Yo.

Always been a fan of your work; loving the screenshots.

I like how you pay attention to detail and how you break things down to their significant components.

The idea about the classes is pretty cool; an interesting twist.

Anyway, keep up the great work. Wee. :P

fireyboy345

Skilled Pokemon Trainer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
WOW so from what i read when the stats are high enough your pokemon will earn a star level. So you have to choose wisely with each pokemon which gives the game a more rpg-ish effect....kinda of like Oblivion where when you level up however many skills you get your main level up. I like where you are going with pokemon. You are really thinking outside of the box. BRAVO!!

Darkraza

The shadow of the Skies
Years
  • Seen Apr 28, 2010
wow

wow, this is a great system,
i want to help this project now =D
i can do good sprites (not pokemon(i can but not so well), i can do well tiles and overworlds)
just PM

Last edited:

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Thanks everyone for the kind words.
I don't see any questions since my last post, so if you got any please ask.
Also, if you wish to ask me for advice on anything, please PM me. I'm here to help.

If you haven't already noticed, thanks to VampireKrimm and Atomic Reactor for the new banners. Both of which are in the first post to showcase.

I don't think I said it here, but in case you didn't know, I had a computer crash. I bloody downloaded that leaked version of Windows 7 BETA- if you haven't seen the windows, google it, Windows 7 is a refined Vista. I know, I shouldn't off. Any ways, because it is in beta, it was very unstable (although so slick to look at, check out the new task bar for windows 7 lol). But for some reason, my RPG Maker Database was reset back to an older version. Don't ask me how. But it was weird. All of the coding of the latest update was gone (so all the trainer stuff from the last update), but yet, every file- every pic and panorama, character set, was still there in the project folder. So since I had all the resources, it was just a matter of re-coding stuff, and because I knew what I was doing, it took me from around the 28th of Dec. till yesterday to get everything back to where I left off. I even done more mapping.

So, to celebrate....
I took a screenshot yesterday that was meant to be only for my CPForums, but heck, I'll post it here.
It is of a route along the Trainers' District- heading to Farm District B. The map is now 400 by 220 tiles. My biggest map I've ever created in RM2k3. Because of limited chipset size in Rm2k3, I use the change chipset event command to help the map all blend together. Having bigger map sizes will cut out any lag from switching maps, and also make the NPCs "life" feature (where they go about doing their day to day stuff) a little easier on me to code lol.
TrainersD_route_1.png

Please note, there are no NPCs added to this route yet

EJames2100

Pokémon Hall Of Fame Supporter
Years
Ouch unlucky ><

Nice map tho, I always like looking at your screenshots because I think the graphics are amazing on them :)

Darkraza

The shadow of the Skies
Years
  • Seen Apr 28, 2010
nice update

nice update, though nothing compared to the last one, its still good to see a screenshot from time to time
once you put the NPCs in the route it would be nice if you took another screenshot of the same place

bad luck with the windows 7 thing
i know its off topic, but is it better or worse than vista so far???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back