• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Starters.

What is the best starter?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AniRain

Goddess of Storms
Years
  • Heyheyhey! :D

Since I just read about the new Hoenn Remakes (Which I practically screamed about for a whole 10 minutes xD) and after I read about peoples comments on wanting Swampert and Sceptile to have mega evolutions, it got me curious.
    So I must ask you a few questions:

1) Whats your all time favourite starter?

2) Favourite Generation Starters?

3) Favourite Water Type, Fire Type and Grass Type Starter out of all the generations?

4) Top Five starters from all generations? (Doesn't have to be in a specific order)

For me:

1) Piplup, because Empoleon is life.
    2)The Hoenn Generation - they were the hardest to pick from, and I liked all of the final evolutions of each pokemon.
    3) Favourite Water Type: Piplup, Fire Type: Torchic and Grass Type: Treecko
    4) Piplup, Mudkip, Froakie, Treecko and Snivy. (No fire types oops~ hahahaa. This is mainly because I love all their final evolutions too)

Thanks for your time,
    Ani.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    There's already a couple of topics on starter pokémon in PVP, but there's probably no harm to let this sit there too as it's a compilation of several questions. Meh ^^ Reason I'm moving it from PG to PVP is that it's just a survey of people's answers to set questions, not really a discussion.

Probably Charmander. Bulbasaur is the cutest pokémon I know, but I don't like its evolutions as much. For Blaziken/Combusken and Monferno/Infernape it's the other way around, I didn't fancy Chimchar or Torchic as much as the evos. But Charmander I love as it is, and its evolutions just as much probably. Chespin actually is starting to come close too though. Quilladin is ruining it a bit between the cute Chespin and the awesome Chesnaught, though.

Gen I, probably. Gen II are awesome too in some weird way though. Mostly because they LOOK so good together. Their colors :3

3) Favourite Water Type, Fire Type and Grass Type Starter out of all the generations?
    Uh... Froakie, Charmander and Chespin I suppose! Though Chikorita and Bulbasaur <3333 But evos count too so. Chesnaught is badass.

4) Top Five starters from all generations? (Doesn't have to be in a specific order)
    Oh gosh this is actually too difficult to answer xD

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
    Years
  • 1) Whats your all time favourite starter?- Charmander

2) Favourite Generation Starters?- Kanto

3) Favourite Water Type, Fire Type and Grass Type Starter out of all the generations?- Totodial, Charmander and Bulbasaur

1. Charmander
    2. Bulbasaur
    3. Chimchar
    4. Totodial
    5. Treeko

Years
  • 1) Whats your all time favourite starter?
    - Treecko :) Before it I always picked the fire starters which I did again in Emerald, then I restarted and picked Treecko and life as I knew it was never the same again haha. Plus... LEAF BLADE :)

- I'm gonna say the Johto ones, because I'm pretty sure I've used each one at some point :)

-Treecko easily, Charmander/Cyndaquil not so easily haha and I'll say Froakie for Water

- Treecko, Cyndaquil, Charmander, Froakie... and now I'm seriously stuck haha xD I'm trying to decide between Totodile, Oshawott, Snivy and Piplup lol.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Mudkip, and it's probably going to stay that way. I love Mudkip for the cute design, awesome typing and the evolution. I really liked using Swampert throughout Ruby and Sapphire, so it's probably going to stay that way.

Gen III, because BLAZIKEN SCEPTILE SWAMPERT AWRUGHH
    It was awesome to see all of these three cool starters, come in one generation. Blaziken because of the usefullness in battle, Sceptile for the looks and Swampert for the reason it's in #1.

Mudkip, Torchic and Turtwig. The third one because I used him all along in Pearl XD

Mudkip, Torchic, Turtwig, Treecko and Piplup. I don't know why, I really liked Gen III and Gen IV's range of starters a lot. Chimchar is not up there for being a Blaziken clone.

Bellum

I'm Rin. Rin Okumura.
    Years
  • 1) Whats your  favourite starter? Mudkip (:

2) Favourite Generation Starters? Probably gen 3. In my opinion, gen 3 had the best designed starter evolutions

3) Favourite Water Type, Fire Type and Grass Type Starter out of all the generations? Mudkip, Treecko and Cyndaquil

4) Top Five starters from all generations? (Doesn't have to be in a specific order) Mudkip, Froakie, Totodile, Piplup and Oshawott (Yep, I prefer water types to any other :3)

Years
  • Whats your all time favourite starter?
    Oshawott of course! Where would I be today without that adorable little samurai otter? Always been my go-to starter every time I play the Unova games, and he's the most balanced of that region's starter trio.

Favourite Generation Starters?
    Design-wise, a tie between 4th, 5th and 6th Gen. I tend to not like most of the older ones for some weird reason. I'm someone who thinks starter designs got cooler with the new generation.

Favourite Water Type, Fire Type and Grass Type Starter out of all the generations?
    My fave Grass starter would have to be Snivy and Chespin, due to their cuteness and anime personalities. Fire would be a tie between Fennekin and Chimchar because they both have cool-looking final evos. Water... ugh I pretty much love every Water starter design-wise barring Totodile, with Oshawott and Froakie being my absolute fave Water starters.

Top Five starters from all generations? (Doesn't have to be in a specific order)
    Oshawott, Froakie, Fennekin, Chimchar and Mudkip. I love the fact they're all cute and evolve into something awesome. Seems like I have huge preference for Fire and Water for a weird reason.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Whats your all time favourite starter?
    Turtwig! I don't honestly care that much about his evolutions, but I think he's absolutely adorable in his first state.

Favourite Generation Starters?
    Generation 3. Out of all of all the generations of Pokemon, I believethis was the one in which I always had a difficult time choosing which starter to choose because all three of them had amazing designs. Especially their final evolutions: Sceptile, Blaziken, and Swampert all are incredibly badass in their own rights.

Favourite Water Type, Fire Type and Grass Type Starter out of all the generations?
    Water = Mudkip
    Fire = Cydaquil/Fennekin
    Grass = Turtwig

Top Five starters from all generations? (Doesn't have to be in a specific order)
    Turtwig, Fennekin, Mudkip, Cyndaquil, Squirtle. Had to throw in a 1st generation Pokemon like Squirtle because Blastoise is just a tank; don't really care that much about his Mega Evolution though, now that's just ridiculous and overkill.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    Treecko! The reason I picked Treecko was pretty weird - I used to think water beat fire, and that's it, so I picked Treecko because I thought it was neutral to water and fire attacks. It's a stupid reason, and I eventually found out its weakness to the fire type, but I didn't regret picking Treecko! Treecko was a life-saver and it was a memorable moment when I was surfing around the seas of Hoenn when my Grovyle suddenly and unexpectedly evolved to Sceptile during a battle! :)
    Generation 3. It's a given, but I honestly thought the final forms of the starters in this generation were cool.
    My favorite water type would be a tie between Froakie and Oshawott. I found both Pokemon cute when I first saw them. Fire would be Charmander. Charmander was my very first starter I picked and Charizard was my favorite Pokemon back then. Grass is obviously Treecko, but Snivy is cool too.
    Treecko, Oshawott, Froakie, Mudkip, Charmander. And Torchic is squeezing behind Charmander over there, just because. ;D

Years
    While I'm not so much of a fan of Piplup, Empoleon is one of the most useful Pokemon I've ever had a chance to use, so that line gets my vote as the favorites. Empoleon's Water/Steel typing made it seem nearly unstoppable when I used it, and it basically carried my entire team through Platinum, unlike any other starters that I've used. The Treecko line is a very close second behind this, though.

While it's tough to vote against the originals, I'll go with the Hoenn starters. All of them have been extremely useful to me in the past, and Blaziken and Sceptile have some of my favorite designs out of all the final stage starter Pokemon to date, and who doesn't love Mudkips?

As kind of pointed out by my first answer, Piplup and Treecko are my favorite Water and Grass type starters respectively. Choosing a favorite Fire type is a little more difficult, but I think I'll stick with the Charmander line.

Without going in specific order, my top 5 favorites would be Squirtle, Treecko, Piplup, Oshawott and Chespin. It's interesting that no Fire types make my top 5, but most often I always found there were other Fire types out there I preferred using, while this isn't always the case with the other 2.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I always say Bulbasaur because I have no complaints with any of its evos and I do really like it. I def have more fun and better memories with Blaziken.

Kanto. It's the only generation that I like all the final forms of the starters.

My favorite fire starter is def Blaziken. I really do love Delphox though I just have so many good memories with Blaziken and it's still so usable!! Water starter would be Empoleon. I did not really like generation four, but for some odd reason I played it a lot and used Piplup a lot because of how much I liked Empoleon. Venusaur is obvs my favorite grass starter as mentioned above.

(good because this is not in a specific order)

- Blaziken
    - Venusaur
    - Empoleon
    - Delphox
    - Sceptile

Let's keep in mind I still have yet to use Emboar, Greninja, and Chesnaught

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    Probably Mudkip since it brought me to salvation in RSE.

I think Generation IV since it was the only one I adored every starter.

Hmm... Froakie and Mudkip are tied, they're both really, really great. I don't like the Grass starters very much in general, but Treecko or Snivy would have to be my favorite. I think Chimchar is my favorite Fire starter, though because of Monferno and Infernape.

4) Top Five starters from all generations?
    Mudkip, Froakie, Fennekin, Snivy, Piplup

The Water starters are the best. :p

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2014

1) Whats your all time favourite starter? Referring specifically to the first evolutionary stage, I will vote for Fennekin. However, for overall potential and appearance throughout it's evolutionary stages, I will vote for Cyndaquil-Typhlosion.

2) Favourite Generation Starters? It is a tie between Kalos and Johto.

3) Favourite Water Type, Fire Type and Grass Type Starter out of all the generations? Squirtle, Fennekin, Chespin.

4) Top Five starters from all generations? (Doesn't have to be in a specific order) Squirtle, Cyndaquil, Fennekin. I wasn't particularly fond of any starters from generation III, IV and V.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • 1) Whats your all time favourite starter? Totodile. Luv. Him.

Kanto- Charmandar
    Johto- Totodile
    Hoenn- Mudkip (for use) Treeko (looks cool)
    Sinnoh- Piplup
    Unova- Tepig (they all kinda sucked)
    Kalos- Froakie

Water- Totodile
    Fire- Charmandar
    Grass- Turtwig

Charmandar, Totodile, Mudkip, Piplup, Tepig, Froakie

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
    Totodile ---> Croconaw ---> Feraligatr.
    Probably the gen 4 ones, since Torterra and Infernape are really good in-game and look really cool
    Water - Feraligatr.
    Grass - Torterra.
    Fire - Infernape.
    Totodile, Turtwig, Chimchar, Snivy, Froakie

Years
    Mudkip. Tough decision, but he's so cute and evolves into a bulky, useful powerhouse with STAB Earthquake. Basically, an easy way to dominate Pokemon.

Going to sound redundant, but Generation 3. I adored each one, and had an extremely difficult time picking between them. Since RSE's release, I've used all three in a run at least once.

Water type would be Mudkip, Fire type would be Cyndaquil, and Grass would be Snivy. I picked Oshawott in Black, but ended up regretting it once I went with Snivy in White 2. Much better than its otter counterpart n__n

Mudkip, Froakie, Cyndaquil, Sinvy, and Oshawott.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    Charmander for me, Charizard my favourite pokemon so it was a pretty obvious one for me too. I just love the evolution line, especially charmeleon. Such a tough looking Pokemon. Then you have the coolest looking starter evolution in my eyes in charizard. Very powerful.

Oshawott gets second place for me, going on the anime alone. Dudes hilarious!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    We have a pretty extensive starter-thread already so I'll merge this with that one :3

rom hunter

tongue-tied
    Years
  • I prefer to choose new starter every time though Chikorita has been my favorite so far. It is one starter that I have chosen many number of times (so much that now I grew bored of Chikorita and its evolutionary line). Mostly I never make starter my main pokemon and if I do than they are usually grass types (except Turtwig).

Back