• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon still on DS in the future?

Should main series Pokemon games remain on DS in the future?

• Total voters
    Years
    I've been discussing with several users over whether Black & White are the last main series Pokemon games released for the regular Nintendo DS as there is growing speculation that the 3DS could be the possible replacement.

So, despite Nintendo moving some of it's most popular series (Mario, Zelda etc) to the 3DS as a promotion trick, do you think future main series Pokemon games should be released on the regular DS, on the 3DS or made for both systems?

If you follow the links on my signature to my Twitter and Facebook pages (or send me a PM), you can discuss with me if you think the Pokemon franchise will survive on the DS or if we should all be forced to buy a 3DS?

Give us your opinions here!

Plus, also give me your opinions via Private Messaging me, join my Twitter conversation or write on my Facebook page.

(The link to my Facebook and Twitter pages is on my signature)

Last edited:

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    Although either is fine with me if they chose to do it that way, I would love to see how well they do with making an actual main series RPG game from the 3DS onwards(if they want to 'keep up to date' like with all the other games.

As long as the games themselves aren't good, even though it would be a little annoying imo, I'd be ok with them. However, it would be a smart move to try to get them as 3DS games as soon as they can(although they still should take their time to make them the best they can be, of course).

Maybe I'm saying this because I have a 3DS...but either way, I would be able to play the games.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    I think the 3rd installment of of 5th Gen will be the last on on DS. And then they start doing main series on 3DS starting with RS remakes. I don't see any reason why they won't move on in the near future since they were already experimenting with 3D effects at least as early as Platinum with Distortion World. Making them for two different systems? I don't really ever see that happening. They want to promote what is new and so does Nintendo so I see them only moving forward in the near future.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I think that the DS is rather popular by itself right now, so I think the Pokemon games will continue on the regular DS(i) before finally moving on to the 3DS

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
    I hope they will continue the Pokemon games on the 3DS, I've been really eager for a 3D game, the only game I have is Pokemon Black. I think the DS is finally come to an end in regards to the development of games. But Nintendo released a Kirby game on the normal DS so I'm not really sure. But I really hope they start taking their games towards 3DS. Its not really forcing people to buy a 3DS, it did have a huge price drop after all.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Putting Popular games on the newest model isn't so much of a Promotional trick...its what Nintendo always does. Tis why majority of my family hates Nintendo in general. When they make a new system, the older system becomes ignored and it completely replaced with in a year.

With a Main Mario Title coming out, its a sign that Nintendo is going to push a full switch into their new system and stop allowing production of DS games. Only a matter of time before we lose the DS as a whole to the 3DS.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Putting Popular games on the newest model isn't so much of a Promotional trick...its what Nintendo always does. Tis why majority of my family hates Nintendo in general. When they make a new system, the older system becomes ignored and it completely replaced with in a year.

lol this is the entire consumer electronics business, nintendo is only one of many companies that do this

****ing sony, why can't i play Gran Turismo 5 on my Playstation 2?

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Heh... I'd like to see what they are able to do on the 3DS. Besides, if the 3DS is going to succeed, the aging DS family eventually will need to be left behind, to make way for the new system. I can see them making a few more games for the DS, and then move on to the 3DS. I hope it's not a mid-generation jump for the main series!

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
    What I think will happen with Pokemon main series games is they will finish up Generation V on the DS with Gray and the R/S remakes. Then, once Generation VI rolls around, main series games will be made exclusively for the 3DS. However, one thing I'd like to see with Gray and the R/S remakes is to make them "3DS enhanced," so they have enhanced graphics/extra features on the 3DS, but maintain full compatibility with DS games so that people who don't have the money yet (i.e. me) don't have to run out and buy the 3DS.

Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2011
    What I think will happen with Pokemon main series games is they will finish up Generation V on the DS with Gray and the R/S remakes. Then, once Generation VI rolls around, main series games will be made exclusively for the 3DS. However, one thing I'd like to see with Gray and the R/S remakes is to make them "3DS enhanced," so they have enhanced graphics/extra features on the 3DS, but maintain full compatibility with DS games so that people who don't have the money yet (i.e. me) don't have to run out and buy the 3DS.
    I agree, just like what they did with Pokemon Yellow back in 98.

Eurydice

`~♥Eury♥~'
    Years
    im guessing that the 3rd game of the 5th gen will be on the 3ds and all the newer games will be on the 3ds as well. just because they will probably be moving the majority of the games over to the 3ds

Years
    I wish that they would stay on the regular DS, but its most likely that the newer Pokemon games will move up to the 3DS.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016

1999 actually. The Japanese Version of Yellow's default primary color is Yellow and secondary color is Orangish/Redish Pink. Just like Red's default is Red and Green, Green's default is the opposite of Red, and Blue's default color is Blue and Red.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    Game Freak themselves admitted they did not intend on dropping the DS just yet.

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    I want them to stay in the DS so no one will just buy a 3DS just to play Pokèmon. Oh and the 3DS and even B/W aren't released in our country yet.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I would prefer them to stay on DS/DSi, but it would be a smart move to make the next game for the 3DS only, that would convert many of Nintendos loyal pokemon followers (such as myself) to buy the 3DS.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Well, I'd think that any more 5th gen games would be finished off on the DS, in order to retain full compatibility with B/W. For 6th generation and beyond, I'd expect them to move to the 3DS. But, as I said, it wouldn't make sense for them to switch systems mid-generation.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    IMO, I expect the next Main Series Gen V game to be on be on the DS and 3DS, with Gen V's last Main Series game and Gen VI being exclusively for the 3DS.

You're thinking about how Gold & Silver were compatible with both the original GB as well as the GBC, with Crystal being exclusive to the GBC.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    Pokemon needs to move to the 3DS, badly so. I have no idea why they released Black/White on the DS to begin with.

Anyway, it's time to move onto the 3DS. And I've held off from playing Black/White in hopes that Grey will be a 3DS exclusive and therefore will play better on my 3DS.

Back